Martial's United career so far?

The Nani

It's not tracking runners, but aware of the situation, and working as a team to try cutting out passing lane.

I repeat, the whole hugging the touch line is the issue created by Martial. Rashford playing this role under OGS did it differently, and that's not even comparing to other wing forwards in other teams.

OGS already tried it with fresh leg Martial in the first leg, and it backfired in us completely losing out our momentum and stopped being able to push into Barcelona half, let alone talking about shooting.

How come Barcelona who dominated possession, but their players bar GK covered more ground than Martial in same minutes?

Again the best advice is rewatch the game.
I saw the match the first time round.

Agree to disagree, pal.

BlahRules

How would martial played well in that game when he had Young playing behind him?

Young was inept to even pass it to anyone.

Barcelona targeted Young throughout the game. Martial was defending than attacking as Young can't pass the ball go anyone. The the only thing Young has in his locker is to hoof the ball.

Any player had Young as their full back would struggle.

Frank Grimes

How would martial played well in that game when he had Young playing behind him?

Barcelona targeted Young throughout the game. Martial was defending than attacking as Young can't pass the ball go anyone. The the only thing Young has in his locker is to hoof the ball.

Excuse # 20,376 for poor Tony.

ti vu

This is a made up excuse. Pogba Fred were dragged around to help Young with Martial being busy hugging the touch line for no reason. Young being targeted no less than Lindelof on the other side. Young made costly error, but it's not like Dembele was playing all game running at him. Messi didn't really occupy the wing as much. He ran havoc everywhere and our right wing included.

gajender

I can only laugh put him up front and all will be good posts.
Atleast try it for extended period if he continues to be this poor sell him in summer take a loss if we have to.

Ban

Atleast try it for extended period if he continues to be this poor sell him in summer take a loss if we have to.
Position is not a problem. It's his workrate. Even as a striker he should contribute to defensive play, pressing, not to mention running behind defenders not just waiting a ball to his feet.

ti vu

Given a new contract. What you suggest if it turn sour would mean the chance OGS would walk in the summer is higher than Martial. Basically check mate for another manager by Woody.

Varunie1208

Given a new contract. What you suggest if it turn sour would mean the chance OGS would walk in the summer is higher than Martial. Basically check mate for another manager by Woody.
There isn't one thing Martial does better than Rashford. Martial is a waste. The wage he's getting paid is criminal. Not sure why Nani brings up Lingard when the discussion revolves around Martial's positioning and work rate. Putting Martial in the 9 or 10 role has been tried and he looked the same. Lazy.

gajender

Position is not a problem. It's his workrate. Even as a striker he should contribute to defensive play, pressing, not to mention running behind defenders not just waiting a ball to his feet.
I agree with all this may be he would learn to do all this as a striker he was decent when he played there in his first season, give him fair opportunity to compete as a striker with Rashford and Lukaku if he doesn't take it ship him out.

Ban

I agree with all this may be he would learn to do all this as a striker he was decent when he played there in his first season, give him fair opportunity to compete as a striker with Rashford and Lukaku if he doesn't take it ship him out.
I don't think he would be any more capable than those 2 to lead the line. Could be tried of course but his mentality demenaour would again be the problem imo.

gajender

I think our squad needs a clear-out and if Solskjaer gets us in top 4 after disaster of first half of the season and wants right profile of the players who would be in their relative peak even after first contract renewal he needs to be backed irrespective of cost.

gajender

I don't think he would be any more capable than those 2 to lead the line. Could be tried of course but his mentality demenaour would again be the problem imo.
Could be the case but Lukaku and Rashford aren't good enough to lead the line either ,we don't have much to lose its sink or swim time for Martial either way.

jesperjaap

I think the thing to remember is we paid £50m with big add ons for him. I think he is talented and playing in the wrong position personally. But I would say to the people really backing him. Say he was at Juventus for example and they had paid £50m for him, if you were watching im at another side and he was linked with us for £60-70m......would you want to sign him? Actually he reminds me of Henry at Juventus!
If it was up to me, I personally would keep him, sell Lukaku. We need a right winger, sign a left winger with the Lukaku money and then Martial can battle it out up front with Rashford in a 4-3-3 and play up front with him in a diamond formation.
I would rather Martial up front than Lukaku and for £70-80m I think we can sign wingers far bettere on the left than Martial has been.

ti vu

This whole first season is always being taken out of context.

First of all, style of play. We created little and at times didn't try to penetrate at all because LVG tried to get us to prioritize safe passing, possession. When the passes come to the attacker, under LVG obsession, the passes had to be accurate, even if it lacks inventation. For that scenario, Martial's technical ability means he would look better than rest. However, we struggled to create and score goals. Martial short coming got found out in Euro. Payet was preferred for his play making ability. Even Coman shared minutes with Martial just because he offered something else as a winger.

Ever since Martial stood still waiting for that ideal set up when others came in the scene and left him behind.
I think our squad needs a clear-out and if Solskjaer gets us in top 4 after disaster of first half of the season and wants right profile of the players who would be in their relative peak even after first contract renewal he needs to be backed irrespective of cost.
We can only hope but signs show the manager had no control in many aspect of transfers now. And the chance of us not making too 4 is high, let alone unsettle the team so we can give Martial an extended period in other position where normally his effort in recent time should be on the bench after the United players should work harder than other team OGS delivered.

jesperjaap

I can only laugh put him up front and all will be good posts.
Dont think it means that, more a case of if he is talented and fees involved, why play him out of position. I would sell him if we were buying replacements, but if its just a choice, I would rather sell Lukaku and at least let him battle it out with Rashford and sign a proper left winger with the Lukaku money.

Ban

Specially when his best football has always been coming from the left to cut inside.
Of course. He was never a pure winger nor played like one. More like an inside forward. Problem is we don't have any wingers actually and it's a question if we'll shop for one, depending on the way we intend to play.

ti vu

I think the thing to remember is we paid £50m with big add ons for him. I think he is talented and playing in the wrong position personally. But I would say to the people really backing him. Say he was at Juventus for example and they had paid £50m for him, if you were watching im at another side and he was linked with us for £60-70m......would you want to sign him? Actually he reminds me of Henry at Juventus!
If it was up to me, I personally would keep him, sell Lukaku. We need a right winger, sign a left winger with the Lukaku money and then Martial can battle it out up front with Rashford in a 4-3-3 and play up front with him in a diamond formation.
I would rather Martial up front than Lukaku and for £70-80m I think we can sign wingers far bettere on the left than Martial has been.
This whole comparison to Henry is a proven old cliche.

I doubted half of the people who make this comparison watched Henry played for Monaco, let alone few games at Juventus.

For starter, Henry never lacks effort. Always running at defenders. Problem? He was deemed as wasteful by at the time a very pragmatic Ancelotti. Remember that Serie A was top league at the time, and game was at high stake, often with small margin for error.

If old Ligue 1 or Serie A games are hard to find, try to find France 98 game. If anything, young Henry uses his pace more like Rashford than Martial. And in that France team, he played in wide area more than in the central position, too. What's more? He also operated on right wing for fair share of his minutes.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
For me he's limited as all heck. Even the goals he's scored have been the same, when was the last time he took a shot from outside the box or header?
Bingo. When he arrived I watched him and had mixed feelings.
When I watch him now the only feelings I have are why.
Why did we spend an absolute fortune. What is so special about him and why does he continue to play with such little output.
Quite honestly he looks like a miserable git who has no interest or ambition.
Yet another waste of money.

ti vu

Dont think it means that, more a case of if he is talented and fees involved, why play him out of position. I would sell him if we were buying replacements, but if its just a choice, I would rather sell Lukaku and at least let him battle it out with Rashford and sign a proper left winger with the Lukaku money.
Many young talent, wonder boys ended up with so so career. Football is not just about early bird. Someone like Luis Suarez who reached top level later achieved a level above many wasted former young talents. For example, Luis Suarez at his best is better than Anelka had ever displayed who was at one time second most expensive player,in the world just behind then already best player award Ronaldo. Anelka however couldn't be denied that in raw talent term is on same par with the best forwards of his generation.

Dembele, Coutinho cost like double to triple Martial fee and can still be on the bench. Barcelona bought Malcom when they don't really need him for similar fee to what we paid for Martial. Fee means nothing. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work.

The no 9 position is there to be taken. Martial had been tried, and passed by not just one managers . I'd already touched on Martial first season for us. Remember how in the end, LVG kept Rashford as no.9 with Martial as left side forward. So even LVG ain't 100% following through with Martial is dead on central forward line of thinking. This whole thing is more wishful thinking than anything.

Edit:

Was Young really being targeted like one of the poster said? If Martial had to defend for Young and relative position show it's mostly against Sergio Roberto, then how come Martial covered so little ground when his mark supposed to be a full back pushing up the pitch?

Last edited:

tieunhilang

The length which people ready to go just to defend Martial is unbelievable. At first it was because of evil Mourinho that Martial could not flourish. Then it was because he had an injury (He has recovered for god-knows-how long). Now it's because of Young. Next is what? How about Martial actually starts reflecting on himself instead if sulking every time a manager shows him some strict discipline or fecking around with his girlfriend/wife/mistress whatsoever?

And to think many people were saying he'd do a Salah on us and flourish in another team like City/Liverpool/Tottenham. Those high-press teams would put him on the bench (Or far away from the bench) all days until he learns to increase his work-rate and actually showing some care on the field. When Real Madrid played against Liverpool in the last Champions League Final, even the likes of Bale and Benzema were pressing like crazy. Does Martial think he is bigger than them already?

The way lots of our fans are ready to slate our manager just to defend him will eventually turn him into the "virus" in this team.

The Nani

Wide forward player who doesn't hug the touchline but cuts inside looking for a shot or a pass, thus disrupting a defensive line. Kind of a 2nd striker.
Every time I get an explanation of what an inside forward is or any of these new fangled positions it seems to differ somehow. But what it definitely doesn’t mean is wide forward or winger. Safe to say it’s much closer to CF than whatever position you want to argue Martial has been playing for us.

So you agree that he’s being played out of position. Glad we settled that.

rpitchfo

Been pretty consistent in my complete lack of understanding of what he actually offers. Away games against big teams who control possession are the games you need a player like martial to offer something, anything, in the rare moments you actually get to produce something creative. He doesn’t show that ability and as such isn’t the player we need.

Art Vandelay

There isn't one thing Martial does better than Rashford. Martial is a waste. The wage he's getting paid is criminal. Not sure why Nani brings up Lingard when the discussion revolves around Martial's positioning and work rate. Putting Martial in the 9 or 10 role has been tried and he looked the same. Lazy.
Rashford and Lingard are brought up because Martial can have no responsibility for anything to some people. Rashford, Lingard, Lukaku, Young, Mourinho, Woodward and some day Solskjaer are all culpable for holding poor Tony back. Also his position and squad number are stopping him from shining as the special diamond he is.

RedDevil@84

:lol::lol: