Martin Dúbravka - Recalled by Newcastle

Trequarista10

He's an improvement on Tom Heaton and cheap, not sure why people comparing him to De Gea. It'd be an incredible bonus if he actually usurps De Gea, he will play cup games and be ready to step in if De Gea is injured.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Of course they do. The club loaning the player up may have a massive injury crisis, so they need to be able to recall loanees the next transfer window. It’s rarely used but absolutely standard.
We have seen plenty of our loans where we did not have one. So its not ‘standard’. It can be done but standard it isn’t

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think it is a big deal. If we don't want him to go, we can exercise our buy option.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
More than an adequate backup to De Gea. However, he also has a tendency to kick long and we just don't have a forward capable of competing for the ball. A decent striker would do wonders for the present team.

CM

You would imagine the break clause involves some kind of penalty for Newcastle if they choose to do it. There seems little point in us paying a £2m loan fee for the season if they can arbitrarily break it otherwise.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You would imagine the break clause involves some kind of penalty for Newcastle if they choose to do it. There seems little point in us paying a £2m loan fee for the season if they can arbitrarily break it otherwise.
I don't think recall clause even makes sense in this deal. We have already paid a loan fee and we have option to buy.

So are we paying Newcastle monthly fee or will they refund the remaining amount if they decide to recall?.

Also which clause takes priority, their recall clause or option to buy?

Iirc only one guy reported this and nothing by any other journalists.

Gums

I’m just speculating, but maybe it’s not just about him being brought in as a backup or first keeper. Maybe it’s to add something new to training, for de Gea, but maybe also for our attackers. I could imagine it being useful for our offensive players to practice situationse against strong, tall keepers who will challenge them in the box.

Either way, I like having a solid option.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I’m just speculating, but maybe it’s not just about him being brought in as a backup or first keeper. Maybe it’s to add something new to training, for de Gea, but maybe also for our attackers. I could imagine it being useful for our offensive players to practice situationse against strong, tall keepers who will challenge them in the box.

Either way, I like having a solid option.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Allows the players early prep on how to play from the back and even put it into practice during the cup games. An easier transition.

Pronewbie

Peep
If he plays over the next 1-2 weeks and does well we could have a fight for No.1.

Hopefully he'll be able showcase his technique and distribution with our make-shift back 4..

nainaisson

If he plays over the next 1-2 weeks and does well we could have a fight for No.1.

Hopefully he'll be able showcase his technique and distribution with our make-shift back 4..
If the leaks are correct, our "make-shift back 4" was our starting back four for the previous three seasons.

arthurka

Who knows? I always feel that putting a keeper into a makeshift defense isn´t helping anyone.
You see what players are like when you play them in your best team. Hope he gets games and can showcase his strengths.

Boondog

I'm wondering what this team looks like with him in goal if he is let's say an average shot stopper and decent playing the ball out. Would that possession make up for the shot stopping we lose.

little.triangles

I'm wondering what this team looks like with him in goal if he is let's say an average shot stopper and decent playing the ball out. Would that possession make up for the shot stopping we lose.
I think it would. We would not have to rely on DDG kicking it long to beat the opposition's press and the team would have more possession resulting in less threat to our goal. That's really how City do it - Ederson is not great in the way the great keepers of the past were, but he is a great fit in Pep's system of keeping the ball.

Also, Dubravka can't be worse than DDG in commanding his box during set pieces. I hope he gets a run in the Europa league and can offer a genuine alternative if EtH wants to change our current style in the league.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
More than an adequate backup to De Gea. However, he also has a tendency to kick long and we just don't have a forward capable of competing for the ball. A decent striker would do wonders for the present team.
He kicks long because Newcastle have big guys up front and that’s probably the instruction

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If that's the only difference then probably not. But if he also brings superior cross claiming, willingness to come out and act as a sweeper, and communication with the defence..then I would say yes, and comfortably so. I have no recollection of ever watching Dubravka play though so have no idea if he's got it in him.

redIndianDevil

Did you see our goal kicks and pass backs to the keeper? every single ball hoofed 60 yards up the field to a Leicester player.

Playing out from the back is a massive part of the modern game and more importantly the way ETH wants to play.

Im not a dea Gea hater by the way I never criticise him but it’s a glaring issue that we keep giving up needless possession.

He’s a top old school keeper, shame his distribution is awful.
I'm pretty sure De Gea is capable of making a pass to a defender. From what I see, he has no confidence in his defenders and midfielders to take that simple pass and proceed upfield hence he hoofs it long. One area where De Gea lacks is being a sweeper, he is extremely uncomfortable at coming out to make clearances. But his goalkicks are due to instruction because I've seen no pressing from the opposition and four free defenders and De Gea still hoofs it up.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He came, he flapped, he left.

OleGunnar20

Blimey. I had a cheeky premonition he'd take DDG's spot before the seasons end.

Mystic Meg I am not.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Didn't we pay £5m for the season? Hopefully we got some of our cash back...