Martin Dúbravka - Recalled by Newcastle

humdinger

I guess we’re Top 4 rivals and now any injury to De Gea means Heaton is in goal and there’s a significant gap between the two. So they’re probably playing the odds to make sure we have no cover
Yeah that’s what my first reaction was too

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I guess we’re Top 4 rivals and now any injury to De Gea means Heaton is in goal and there’s a significant gap between the two. So they’re probably playing the odds to make sure we have no cover
If that was their plan they'd have been better recalling him on the last day of the window, not the first.

It's not exactly United's fault Newcastle have recalled him. We didn't send him back. I expect most loans will have some form of recall option especially with keepers. The only thing United did wrong was sign him in the first place.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I mean it's no great loss but why did we agreed to a loan where they could recall him in the first place? ETH obviously doesn't fancy Heaton (tbf he's hardly played now for 2 or 3 years) so even if he's shit it leaves ETH short

Pray DDG doesn't get injured in a cup game where he'd of been rested

Marcelinho87

Please tell me why the person in charge of transfers is not responsible for a shit deal. Very much looking forward to it
I like to think the blame lies at the door of EtH personally and I hope, can't speak factually as you are, hope that Murtough and EtH work this out equally and JM is not just picking players himself.

Also, who knew it would turn out this way? Dubravka is better than what we saw in that Burnley game and who was to know Newcastle would come and take him back in January.

Elcabron

Heaton is fine as back up. Perfectly adequate reserve keeper capable of standing in for the odd game here and there.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's obvious, the Saudi's dropping the shirt deal interest, and now one of their players been recalled as soon as the contract will allow.

They know something, and don't want to be associated with us.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If that was their plan they'd have been better recalling him on the last day of the window, not the first.

It's not exactly United's fault Newcastle have recalled him. We didn't send him back. I expect most loans will have some form of recall option especially with keepers. The only thing United did wrong was sign him in the first place.
Possibly, depends on the terms of the loan. Maybe they could only recall him back within a week or so given I doubt the club would have wanted the option of the recall to be there.

I agree it's not United or Murtough's fault that Newcastle called him. It's what you get with a loan.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It's obvious, the Saudi's dropping the shirt deal interest, and now one of their players been recalled as soon as the contract will allow.

Interesting, that would suggest that the Saudi's aren't the ones buying us then?

klayton88

Let's get John O'Shea in as DDGs backup until the end of the season

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

You mean Qatari involvement?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Another Murtough masterclass. What a genius
Dude, take a chill. It was a loan to cover a position that was never likely to need it. It hardly matters.
I’d also take issue with use of the word ‘another’. What has he done that was sooooo wrong? He’s got the players that the manager wanted who were available. What more can he do?

Chairman Steve

Interesting theory. Is it really that petty between Saudi and potentially Qatar that they act on a second string goalkeeper loan spell?

It would be a bit of an anticlimax though if it was just about them recalling Dubravka, because Newcastle are selling one of Karius or Darlow.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
£1m fee (plus wages) to have him play two games against Villa and Burnley in the League Cup.
A reserve keeper is like having car insurance. You don’t need it until you do. You don’t look back at the end of the year and say “pffft, $2,500 spent on insurance this year and not a single claim”, but when you rear end the car in front and face a $10,000 bill, you are very likely to say “I wish I had insurance”.

MonkeysMagic

Joins the ranks of 'Taibi' as former Utd keepers! I breve Heaton is goid enough as a backup until the summer where we possibly need to resolve the no.1 and no.2 position in the GK department as I'm not sure any of the Utd keepers (incl. Henderson) are cut out for ETH style of play.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Leaves behind a Prunier style legacy.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Surely Heaton isn't much if any of a downgrade on Dubravka anyway?
Dubraka didn't exactly look rock solid in his appearances.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Very proud of him. I laughed I cried I fist pumped the air. 100% clean sheet. Better than De Gea, vDS and Schmeichel. Farewell Dubiaska.

Malone_Post

People who are saying they never understood this signing because we have Tom Heaton do realise Heaton is 36 and hasn’t played a PL game in 3 years, right? He also looked absolutely hopeless on the pre-season tour.

We absolutely need a better #2 then that and will now have to find someone this January, which is a bit of a pain. The fact that Dubravka didn’t work out very well doesn’t change the fact that it was a signing that made total sense at the time.