Martin Dubravka | signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
How good is his sweeping and passing abilities?

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
I've got a sneaking suspicion he'll oust De Gea by Christmas.
Yeah I don't understand this move for him. If he's not happy to be on the bench here, why move to be on the bench somewhere else? Is there some deep ETH connection for Dubravka I don't know about?

My take is - Howe obviously prefers Pope but Dubs is still very good. We were pretty garbo under Bruce so his recent stats are skewed badly but with a lesser GK they would have looked so much worse.

Momochiru

2 is ample,
I don't think Dean played more than three games last season and I don't think Tom played any!
2 is absolutely not enough - you need 2 very competent keepers every match - one starting and one on the bench + one contingency keeper (usually from the youth). On top of that your 3rd keeper should be decent for the 10-15% of the games where you give your fist keeper a rest - 2nd keeper starts 3rd keeper on the bench. Any of the keepers on the bench should be good enough to start, if there is a last minute injury. So 3 decent keepers + 4th keeper usually called from the youth - that's the standard setup when there are no injuries; if you get 1-2 injuries you suddenly get into a crisis mode.

People know how important it is to have multiple options for every position on the field, but question it when it comes to keepers - the most specialized position of them all - in high level football it's all about risk management.

OleGunnar20

Yeah I don't understand this move for him. If he's not happy to be on the bench here, why move to be on the bench somewhere else? Is there some deep ETH connection for Dubravka I don't know about?

My take is - Howe obviously prefers Pope but Dubs is still very good. We were pretty garbo under Bruce so his recent stats are skewed badly but with a lesser GK they would have looked so much worse.
I think hes in with a real shot at the #1 spot, given DDG's undeniable decline. A smart move from the club as like you say, I've always thought he looked a solid keeper when I've seen him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Well our bench is obviously more appealing than yours even without the prospect of any football whatsoever. as it stands though he'll likely play some part of our Europa League games

Idxomer

Sergio Romero used to get around 20 games when we played the Europa League, that's much more than what Dubravka will get with Newcastle in the cups.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Sorry, I meant to write "I don't understand this move for him if that's not the case ** " i.e. the move doesn't make sense unless he's coming in as (soon) #1. So, I agree with the people saying it looks inevitable if it happens. He'll do well.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The best thing Dubravka can do for us is get a few games and look comprehensively better than De Gea in the aspects his game sorely lacks (claiming crosses; owning set pieces; not hoofing every pass back so we can build). If he can do that, he’ll massively weaken the status of De Gea and we can let the Spaniard go on a free next summer. It’s a bit wishful thinking given the clubs precedence over giving extensions to totally unmerited players, but I think ten Hag has the guile to do it.

peridigm

The best thing Dubravka can do for us is get a few games and look comprehensively better than De Gea in the aspects his game sorely lacks (claiming crosses; owning set pieces; not hoofing every pass back so we can build). If he can do that, he’ll massively weaken the status of De Gea and we can let the Spaniard go on a free next summer. It’s a bit wishful thinking given the clubs precedence over giving extensions to totally unmerited players, but I think ten Hag has the guile to do it.
I had to look up the details of DDG's contract :houllier: because you mention letting him go for free next summer. His contract ends in 2024 so I don't see him wanting to leave when he's on such high wages. This club is run by absolute idiots. DDG's contract is proof of that. Why did they think he needed 375k/wk? He wasn't going anywhere in 2019. We apparently gave Henderson much higher wages as well with promises of him getting a crack at being the #1.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I had to look up the details of DDG's contract :houllier: because you mention letting him go for free next summer. His contract ends in 2024 so I don't see him wanting to leave when he's on such high wages. This club is run by absolute idiots. DDG's contract is proof of that. Why did they think he needed 375k/wk? He wasn't going anywhere in 2019. We apparently gave Henderson much higher wages as well with promises of him getting a crack at being the #1.
I think his contract ends in 2023 but we have an option to extend for another year which we obviously shouldn't do.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It expires 2023 but there’s an option to extend. I would imagine that extension option is one the club has, and not the player.
https://www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/detail/david-de-gea-signs-new-contract-with-manchester-united

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
got a 2 dimensional goalkeeper coming!

Dubravka: Please specify the (x,y) coordinate pair you wish me to dive to!

Not a bad fee though 5m GBP is a good bit of business, and if we don't play him enough we don't pay and he goes back to Newcastle.

If United want a GK in future and don't renew DDG gives us good wiggle room.

Chairman Steve

I browsed the geordie forums and the consensus is they think they’re getting fecked by such a low fee of £5m, and they think Dubravka has forced the move which they have reluctantly accepted as Howe has bought Pope. They just hope Pope doesn’t get injured as it’ll mean they have to play Darlow, a player universally hated by their fanbase as being not up to level.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is probably the biggest fiasco after the striker situation both of which we've known about all summer or earlier. Loaning out Henderson while we go on a wild goose chase looking for so many varied keepers.

December_16

Nah, GK is not a position we desperately need fixing compared to other gaping holes. Henderson needed minutes to either prove he could be No. 1 or be sold for big bucks next summer. Getting a cheap backup GK is actually shrewd.

Pronewbie

Peep
This is probably the biggest fiasco after the striker situation both of which we've known about all summer or earlier. Loaning out Henderson while we go on a wild goose chase looking for so many varied keepers.
Hendo is a leaker, not a sweeper keeper. Benitez rated Dubruvka highly for his intelligence and ball playing skills.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
While that sweeping is a good sign, I'd be more interested in what he does with the ball.

Because of all De Gea's weaknesses, sweeping is the one where we might at least see improvement this season. Last season he made 0.24 defensive actions outside the penalty area per 90, whereas over the first four games of this season he's on 0.50. Obviously it's a tiny sample size so far but even in terms of the eye test and in the pre-season games, it did seem he was sweeping more.

Whereas his ability in possession and at claiming we're more likely stuck with.

Dannn411

I feel like we could have concentrated on more pressing areas but he's joining now so hopefully Ten Hag gives him a legitimate chance of challenging for number one. Had enough of De Gea's nonsense.

Pronewbie

Peep
While that sweeping is a good sign, I'd be more interested in what he does with the ball.

Because of all De Gea's weaknesses, sweeping is the one where we might at least see improvement this season. Last season he made 0.24 defensive actions outside the penalty area per 90, whereas over the first four games of this season he's on 0.50. Obviously it's a tiny sample size so far but even in terms of the eye test and in the pre-season games, it did seem he was sweeping more.

Whereas his ability in possession and at claiming we're more likely stuck with.
Benitez brought him in for his ball-playing skills too. https://theathletic.com/1302178/201...tle-to-a-new-level-but-can-the-club-keep-him/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.