Martin Dubravka | signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiber

My level of excitement for Newcastles backup keeper is appropriately low

-Supreme-

Very smart bit of business, someone who will come in and challenge De Gea who we can’t afford to rely 100% when we have invested 200m this summer

JanK

Supports
Napoli
My level of excitement for Newcastles backup keeper is appropriately low
But he is decent. He is better for ETH than De Gea is, so ramp up your excitement level and see it as a decent signing.

Chairman Steve

Considering how ETH is not afraid of making big decisions, I can see him potentially starting over DDG if DDG has any more feck ups. Dubravka will probably get the League Cup and Europa League games initially but if he ends up being a more than half decent distributor and being fairly proactive, then I can see ETH leaning towards him.

I think this season will be DDG’s last with us regardless, and Dubravka will be pulling out the stops knowing he might be in with a chance to be No.1 next season and beyond potentially.

CM

We won't sign all these players but it is encouraging that there's at least acknowledgement of the areas we're actually weak in. Ten Hag seems to be far more proactive in trying to address these issues than previous managers who have allowed them to fester. If it wasn't for the fact we needed about 9 signings this summer, I think we might well have got all of them.

croadyman

We won't sign all these players but it is encouraging that there's at least acknowledgement of the areas we're actually weak in. Ten Hag seems to be far more proactive in trying to address these issues than previous managers who have allowed them to fester. If it wasn't for the fact we needed about 9 signings this summer, I think we might well have got all of them.
Yeah we have given ourselves about 3 signings too much to do in one summer due to a number of different factors

Pronewbie

Peep
De Gea usually finds an extra gear when competition is stiff. I just wished we signed a better Sweeper Keeper. Romero was such an amazing backup GK for the style we played.

Infestissumam

works for me. De Gea/Dubravka as a stop gap this season, then properly address the position next summer.

mu4c_20le

Hmm, loan with no obligation? Why are they so desperate to get rid? Red flags over this one

nainaisson

Yeah, fine. If he can consistently stop shots that travel at the speed of a typical back pass, he's a vast improvement.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can only think there’s an issue with Heaton or he’s absolute dog in training?. I know clubs traditionally have 3 goalkeepers but it does seem a bit over kill

-Supreme-

Suprised Newcastle didn’t insist on obligation to buy, this is pretty much a free loan deal for us.

ti vu

Hmm, loan with no obligation? Why are they so desperate to get rid? Red flags over this one
Perhaps, they want to keep their wage bill reasonable looking with all these new high earners while they don't yet have European football to cook the book.

Abraxas

Why even bother signing Tom Heaton? I don't think you need 3 senior goalkeepers. It's a small waste of resources, but seems a waste all the same. I think a talented kid can make up the numbers. If you have no faith in Heaton and he's just a body filling a net in training then why bother?

Remember the geese

Why even bother signing Tom Heaton? I don't think you need 3 senior goalkeepers. It's a small waste of resources, but seems a waste all the same. I think a talented kid can make up the numbers. If you have no faith in Heaton and he's just a body filling a net in training then why bother?
Maybe because a youngster would be better served by going out on loan.

ti vu

Filling homegrown quota. Talented young GK should be sent out on loan to get playing experience even if it's League 2 or League 1 like Henderson used to do. A semi retired GK as third choice is standard. 4 senior GKs like last couple seasons is a mess though.

Abraxas

Filling homegrown quota. Talented young GK should be sent out on loan to get playing experience even if it's League 2 or League 1 like Henderson used to do. A semi retired GK as third choice is standard. 4 senior GKs like last couple seasons is a mess though.
Maybe that's the reason I'm missing. Seems an odd convention to me as they never get used.

mu4c_20le

Because they bought Pope and they have basically 3 so called "backup keepers". All with big enough wages.
Perhaps, they want to keep their wage bill reasonable looking with all these new high earners while they don't yet have European football to cook the book.
Hes comfortably better than the other backups though surely

ti vu

Hes comfortably better than the other backups though surely
From appearances stats, he's their starter 3 out of last four seasons. He was starter last season until Pope brought in for this summer. So decent PL starter with sweeper GK profile for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.