Martin Dubravka | signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus agrippa

This is probably the biggest fiasco after the striker situation both of which we've known about all summer or earlier. Loaning out Henderson while we go on a wild goose chase looking for so many varied keepers.
I don't particularly rate Henderson, but he said himself that he was determined to leave. Didn't even want to speak to the new manager. His own words. Lots to blame the club for, but not that.

CM

This is probably the biggest fiasco after the striker situation both of which we've known about all summer or earlier. Loaning out Henderson while we go on a wild goose chase looking for so many varied keepers.
Henderson needed gone. If he was prepared to go on record and say our treatment of him was 'criminal', there's no value to keeping a player like that in the building. Let him do his thing on loan then sell him to the highest bidder next summer.

It remains to be seen how good Dubravka is but it's a fairly low risk deal for us. Loan deal with an option means we can assess him without committing, if he's not up to standard we just move for 2 new goalkeepers next summer.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Hendo is a leaker, not a sweeper keeper. Benitez rated Dubruvka highly for his intelligence and ball playing skills.
I don't particularly rate Henderson, but he said himself that he was determined to leave. Didn't even want to speak to the new manager. His own words. Lots to blame the club for, but not that.
Henderson needed gone. If he was prepared to go on record and say our treatment of him was 'criminal', there's no value to keeping a player like that in the building. Let him do his thing on loan then sell him to the highest bidder next summer.

It remains to be seen how good Dubravka is but it's a fairly low risk deal for us. Loan deal with an option means we can assess him without committing, if he's not up to standard we just move for 2 new goalkeepers next summer.
Aye, I don't particularly rate Henderson either, just think we knew about this situation all summer, prior to that even. This should have been a relatively low hanging fruit scenario.

Bondi77

2 is absolutely not enough - you need 2 very competent keepers every match - one starting and one on the bench + one contingency keeper (usually from the youth). On top of that your 3rd keeper should be decent for the 10-15% of the games where you give your fist keeper a rest - 2nd keeper starts 3rd keeper on the bench. Any of the keepers on the bench should be good enough to start, if there is a last minute injury. So 3 decent keepers + 4th keeper usually called from the youth - that's the standard setup when there are no injuries; if you get 1-2 injuries you suddenly get into a crisis mode.

People know how important it is to have multiple options for every position on the field, but question it when it comes to keepers - the most specialized position of them all - in high level football it's all about risk management.
How many games did Henderson and Heaton play last season?

ThanksBoss26

Dubravka is a very different profile and more in line with what ETH wants in a keeper. We'll give him a run in the upcoming cup games and if he impresses, will challenge for the no. 1 spot. If he doesn't, that's fine too.
Yep this sums it up.

Thom Merrilin

I think this is a very good signing. He's good enough to challenge De Gea for a starting spot and it's only a loan with no obligation.

If he's crap then we let him go back to Newcastle but if he performs, 5mil is nothing for a decent goalkeeper.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’m really pleased with this signing. Initial loan, option to buy for a low fee, decent age, will put a rocket up De Gea, can play out from the back, and I always hated playing against him. Dare I say it - the way I always hated us playing against Fulham when Edwin was in goal for them.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Anyone actually think he’s taking de gea spot this season? His he a sweeper keeper and how good is he with ball at feet? Will he help the defence out and bring the best out in martinez/Varane.

Pronewbie

Peep
Anyone actually think he’s taking de gea spot this season? His he a sweeper keeper and how good is he with ball at feet? Will he help the defence out and bring the best out in martinez/Varane.
He gives us the option to defend with a very high line and play the ball out from the back. That's if he is still the player he was when he joined Newcastle.

It's best not to expect anything from this transfer.

Malone_Post

Any Newcastle fans on here able to give an assessment? Strengths/weaknesses etc

Quite surprised they’re willing to let him go, especially on loan. Always impressed me when I’ve watched Newcastle over the past couple of years. He played a blinder against us a few seasons ago on his debut I believe. Is Pope that much better then him?

criticalanalysis

Sorry, I meant to write "I don't understand this move for him if that's not the case ** " i.e. the move doesn't make sense unless he's coming in as (soon) #1. So, I agree with the people saying it looks inevitable if it happens. He'll do well.
The first thing to understand is it's fecking Manchester United. That alone is enough for a large amount of players wanting to move here and I'm not trying to be an arrogant Utd fan.

Secondly, from a footballing perspective it seems like a good deal for both parties. 1) He will get decent wages I'm assuming 2) he'll have more chances of games than competing against Pope (Europa, Cup etc) because he's been way more active than Heaton in recent seasons/games played etc so he will have higher seniority 3) even as no.2 he will have a good chance for the no.1 spot because De Gea 4) it means he will have everything to gain to make a name for himself to stay at Utd or move on in a years time. If the rumours are true, of course it makes sense he wanted to push for this. It's a fantastic opportunity for a keeper that was relegated to the bench to now find himself at the biggest club in England.

How do you rate him btw and how do you think he'll do here?

Last edited:

Okey

Dubravka is a very different profile and more in line with what ETH wants in a keeper. We'll give him a run in the upcoming cup games and if he impresses, will challenge for the no. 1 spot. If he doesn't, that's fine too.
Pretty much this. He's a solid keeper and pretty good number 2 to have. Seeing how ruthless ETH can be, don't be too surprised if he pushes De Gea aside before this season is out. Hopefully we get a substantive number 1 next season. Dubravka will stay if he does well. Only 5m.

Okey

I feel like we could have concentrated on more pressing areas but he's joining now so hopefully Ten Hag gives him a legitimate chance of challenging for number one. Had enough of De Gea's nonsense.
He's costing almost nothing. And was wrapped up quite quickly from the first mention of the rumour. He won't be the reason we didn't fill any other areas.

city-puma

The deal is well structured also. The option to make it permanent becomes obligation if certain number of games played. If he can achieve that, even as the third goalkeeper, 5m is not bad.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The issue with getting keepers outside top 6 teams is their concentration. They are used to being constantly engaged.
At ETH's United, he will be called upon like 3-5mins max a match. That's the question. How good is his ability to microwave and be focused immediately?

ti vu

The issue with getting keepers outside top 6 teams is their concentration. They are used to being constantly engaged.
At ETH's United, he will be called upon like 3-5mins max a match. That's the question. How good is his ability to microwave and be focused immediately?
Sweeper GK would be required to be participate in build up. With the aim to dominate possession, GK would be required to be on alert at all time.

What you said is the the old impression on old fashioned shot stopper type, who has little to do outside routine saves.

DDG issue is he's bad with the ball at his feet, so the more he has it, the worse our play become. If this guy can be decent, there is no issue with getting bored and lose concentration during the game.

sglowrider

Sweeper GK would be required to be participate in build up. With the aim to dominate possession, GK would be required to be on alert at all time.

What you said is the the old impression on old fashioned shot stopper type, who has little to do outside routine saves.

DDG issue is he's bad with the ball at his feet, so the more he has it, the worse our play become. If this guy can be decent, there is no issue with getting bored and lose concentration during the game.
Agree with what you are saying. But the impression I am getting here, is that he is a bigger version of a De Gea -- a shot-stopping type keeper but who comes off his line more than DDG?

ti vu

Agree with what you are saying but the impression I am getting is that he is a bigger version of a De Gea -- a shot-stopping type keeper who comes off his line more than DDG?
He's a sweeper keeper.

Anyways, I wouldn't go overboard like some other posters with the hope that DDG would have his starter position taken away though. This guy may be given chances in lower profile games, and cup games to help with building toward front foot football style by getting outfield players gaining practical experience playing with a sweeper keeper. Can't let players go through a whole season with bad habit of hoofball football, even in training with DDG and Heaton. However, that's just that.

Dubravka maybe decent and belong to the desired sweeper keeper profile, but he's not top class.

One of the infamous performance I can remember on the back of my head is this game.

After saving penalty, he then turned the game for Spain, and seen as weak in a couple other goals beside the infamous incident.

Waynne

I've got a sneaking suspicion he'll oust De Gea by Christmas.
My nan could oust De Gea by xmas. He's a good shot stopper and that's it.

We need an all rounder that can get involved in the build up phase and David is all too comfortable to be number 1 pick with no one challenging him.

sglowrider

He's a sweeper keeper.

Anyways, I wouldn't go overboard like some other posters with the hope that DDG would have his starter position taken away though. This guy may be given chances in lower profile games, and cup games to help with building toward front foot football style by getting outfield players gaining practical experience playing with a sweeper keeper. However, that's just that.

Dubravka maybe decent and belong to the desired sweeper keeper profile, but he's not top class.

One of the infamous performance I can remember on the back of my head is this game.

After saving penalty, he then turned the game for Spain, and seen as weak in a couple other goals beside the infamous incident.
That makes sense then. Low risk buy that gives ETH some options before needing to splurge next summer.

NLunited

Could be good deal. If he is better on crosses than De Gea and at playing out the back, I think he might start some PL games over De Gea.

city-puma

Agree with what you are saying. But the impression I am getting here, is that he is a bigger version of a De Gea -- a shot-stopping type keeper but who comes off his line more than DDG?
I remember @Adnan posted something the other day about him. He is pretty good with ball at feet so that the coach was shocked he decided to be goalkeeper rather than outfield player. Something like that.

sglowrider

I remember @Adnan posted something the other day about him. Something like that.
:lol: That would be fun to watch. A sweeper-keeper at United.

The thing about the Caf nowadays is that posters can be watching the same match and yet come out with diametrically opposing views. Its an amazing phenomenon.

Real Name

Decent move, competent keeper on a loan who can jump in instead of DDG any time needed. Will keep David on the toes too and who knows maybe he'll leave the line every now and then knowing if he feks up Dubravka is waiting for his chance.

MuFc_1992

Why are people so obsessed with Henderson in this thread. He's nothing special as a Keeper but also high maintenance and there's no combination worse than mediocre and high maintenance, especially in your second choice Goalkeeper. I'd rather have someone like Dubravka who will silently come in and do the job. Also the loan fee we got for Henderson should cover Dubravka's fee and I really don't think he's that much of a downgrade on Henderson and is also better on the ball.

largelyworried

:lol: That would be fun to watch. A sweeper-keeper at United.

The thing about the Caf nowadays is that posters can be watching the same match and yet come out with diametrically opposing views. Its an amazing phenomenon.
This isn't limited to the Caf to be honest.

Adamsk7

I’m really pleased with this. I know there’s a De Gea agenda, there was one even last season when he was one of only two players that performed, but to me I don’t see why we’d replace our longest serving player and the only person (other than Jones I guess) who’s won a league with us without giving him a chance to play the way Ten Hag wants (whatever that is!) and by chance I mean more than four games where he’s been shocking in one but perfectly fine in the other three. For me he’s still the best shot stopper out there and his other “deficiencies” are always largely over exaggerated. I’m sure I’ll get absolute pelters for this opinion though!

Dubravka is a VERY solid no.2 that’s a little more “sweeper keeper” but still not remotely in the same vein as say Allison. That tells me two things - 1) maybe Ten Hag doesn’t want or have to play with keepers where this is their main strength 2) maybe there just aren’t many out there that can do it at an elite level.

This signing gives us a solid (IMO) two and a solid third in Heaton. De Gea can improve his game with real competition and it does give Ten Hag the opportunity to see different styles in our team and work out what’s best for US (not what was best for Ajax).

Henderson is getting sold because he’s just above average and no way good enough to be our first choice when we are back to where we want to be. He’s also a whiny little bi*ch

Hughes35

Just a number two keeper and will put a bit of pressure on DDG.

If he plays really well in some cup games then he might get a chance in the League but I'd imagine he will just take a Romero role.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So we're expecting a cast out 33 y.o. Newcastle Gk to replace/compete with DDG?

And Newcastle is the best Club he's played in his whole career.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So we're expecting a cast out 33 y.o. Newcastle Gk to replace/compete with DDG?
We're expecting him to be a solid stand-in for cup games and for any potential long run should DDG get injured.

I don't think anyone expects him to displace De Gea... that should happen next summer when we properly invest in a goalkeeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.