Martin Dubravka | signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santos J

I hope this is a joke. He is one of the worst keepers in the league. It can not be true that we do not have a talented keeper, we can give a chance on the bench instead.
That's just not even slightly true

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Dubravka has been a different keeper because how Steve Bruce plays.

In '17/18 (before Bruce was manager) he was in the 91st percentile for defensive actions outside penalty area with 1.08 per game. That is more than Kevin Trapp’s 0.84 last year. When Bruce came in '18/19 he was in 54th percentile with 0.63. Clear reason is the change in style of play.

I think overall his numbers look encouraging considering he was efficiently sweeping 4 seasons ago. His passing stats are good, dealing with crosses very good. Overall its still likely an upgrade over De Gea, but obviously not a top quality goalkeeper. If we get him I can still see De Gea being dropped because Dubravka will likely be better suited. Next summer I expect we’ll go for a new long term goalkeeper.
You make a good point about the style of play dictating what facets of a keeper are highlighted by statistics.

I don't really know much about Dubravka, but I wouldn't judge his ability on Newcastle's methods under the likes of Steve Bruce.

Holters

Can anyone explain our strategy for goalkeepers?

One of the leagues highest earning goalkeepers is out on loan. We have a decent backup goalkeeper in Tom Heaton, but are still looking to loan Dubravka, who got displaced by Nick Pope. Is Heaton so bad that he can't be our backup goalkeeper?

The third goalie should be some young talent learning the ropes rather than one of Newcastle's rejects in my eyes. We did something similar a couple years ago with Grant as well. I just don't get it.

Houdini

One of the leagues highest earning goalkeepers is out on loan. We have a decent backup goalkeeper in Tom Heaton, but are still looking to loan Dúbravka, who got displaced by Nick Pope. Is Heaton so bad that he can't be our backup goalkeeper?

The third goalie should be some young talent learning the ropes rather than one of Newcastle's rejects in my eyes. We did something similar a couple years ago with Grant as well. I just don't get it.
Not at all. Young and talented keepers need game time ideally as first choice, not to sit on the bench. Heaton was always a 3rd choice. It is difficult to have a decent 2nd choice keeper. Dúbravka is not a reject at all. He is not too old nor too young to want too much game time. Loan with an option to buy for 5mil sounds ideal to me. Cheap and good enough. We are clearly not going to replace DDG this summer. I agree that we need a replacement but that's a different story.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So Howe basically confirmed this is happening.

Can't see why Newcastle would keep him, they have Darlow to be their number 2.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We need a third keeper, there's no fee for him. It means DDG is number 1 this season, so that's OK for now.

I think we do need to invest in another CM and a forward/fullback though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It seems like Benitez signed him for his ability to play out from the back, sweep and command his area whilst also being vocal in the back-line. He didn't play long under Benitez and spent most of his time at Newcastle playing under Steve Bruce.

Below are quotes which might suggest the type of profile Dubravka is.

THE Guardian: "I like to play as a right‑winger,” said the Slovakia international whose stunning display in his debut at home against Manchester United helped to consign them
to a 1-0 defeat. “Sometimes I play outfield in training and the coaches say: ‘Why are you a goalkeeper, maybe you could change to being a midfielder?’ But it’s too late – my father and grandfathers were keepers and I’m tall.”
Dubravka’s outstanding footwork represents a big reason why Benítez has transplanted this quintessential sweeper-keeper to Tyneside. “In modern football the keeper’s almost like a libero. You need to play with the ball, not just kick it long,” the 29-year-old said as he prepared for Saturday’s trip to Bournemouth. “When I get possession the manager wants me to try to play football.”

"Nonetheless Benítez does not need a shrinking violet during a critical period when Islam Slimani, his loanee striker from Leicester, will miss at least three more games with a thigh injury. “He wants me to be loud and to talk to people, to help them and be confident on crosses,” Dubravka said." “I don’t want to look like I’m arrogant, just like I have enough confidence to help the guys. If I can see a striker three metres behind my defender, I’ll tell him. We need to know we’re all equal on the pitch. I don’t care if someone’s been here for five years, we have to fight together for the points.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/23/martin-dubravka-goalkeeper-newcastle-bournemouth

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

One of the leagues highest earning goalkeepers is out on loan. We have a decent backup goalkeeper in Tom Heaton, but are still looking to loan Dubravka, who got displaced by Nick Pope. Is Heaton so bad that he can't be our backup goalkeeper?

We've fecked around in the keeper department due to de geas seasonal hot and coldness. We should have sold him seasons ago for consistency sake. Had Henderson stayed on for a couple months he'd be our no1 right now but understandably he's off.

Ash86

I don't get it, seems like a very stupid move that.

He is 30+, he had a somewhat a good year a while back, his first PL season or maybe second. Sure. But he has regressed seriously since then, i never seen him being good with his feet either.
Again i mean what are our scouts, etc, etc doing i don't know. Surely there had to be better options.

Idxomer

Pointless signing to me but this club loves signing a random goalkeeper. Heaton is as fine as a number two
He is not, he hasn't played a competitive game in almost 3 years.

Bondi77

We already have a 30+ GK as backup.
Why do we need another??

FrantikChicken

Anyone saying we don’t need him hasn’t really though through what happens if de Gea gets injured for a month or 2. Heaton is absolutely not sufficient for consistent playing time in the league. Dubravka had a pretty good season last year and would provide some solid cover if our number 1 gets injured.

RopersReturn

Definitely need Dubravka or someone of similar quality in goal soon.

We just can’t rely on DeGea for much longer. I watched the goal we conceded against Liverpool the other night, which resulted from DeGea yet again parrying a shot straight into the oncoming path of Salah.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Just sign Sergio Rochet, ideally before the next local derby. International keeper, will be starting at the next World Cup and 3-4m would do it.

11 consecutive clean sheets earlier this season :eek:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I can see the sense in this.

With the way the prices are going, if De Gea got injured it would be way too expensive to put the Heaton on.

CM

It seems like Benitez signed him for his ability to play out from the back, sweep and command his area whilst also being vocal in the back-line. He didn't play long under Benitez and spent most of his time at Newcastle playing under Steve Bruce.

Below are quotes which might suggest the type of profile Dubravka is.

THE Guardian: "I like to play as a right‑winger,” said the Slovakia international whose stunning display in his debut at home against Manchester United helped to consign them
to a 1-0 defeat. “Sometimes I play outfield in training and the coaches say: ‘Why are you a goalkeeper, maybe you could change to being a midfielder?’ But it’s too late – my father and grandfathers were keepers and I’m tall.”
Dubravka’s outstanding footwork represents a big reason why Benítez has transplanted this quintessential sweeper-keeper to Tyneside. “In modern football the keeper’s almost like a libero. You need to play with the ball, not just kick it long,” the 29-year-old said as he prepared for Saturday’s trip to Bournemouth. “When I get possession the manager wants me to try to play football.”

"Nonetheless Benítez does not need a shrinking violet during a critical period when Islam Slimani, his loanee striker from Leicester, will miss at least three more games with a thigh injury. “He wants me to be loud and to talk to people, to help them and be confident on crosses,” Dubravka said." “I don’t want to look like I’m arrogant, just like I have enough confidence to help the guys. If I can see a striker three metres behind my defender, I’ll tell him. We need to know we’re all equal on the pitch. I don’t care if someone’s been here for five years, we have to fight together for the points.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/23/martin-dubravka-goalkeeper-newcastle-bournemouth
Interesting quotes. I've never really had him pegged as anything more than a shot stopper really but that might be more down to the style Bruce employed at Newcastle.

I'd still take that with a pinch of salt, mind. Eddie Howe is a coach who likes to play football and has replaced Dubravka with Nick Pope who isn't exactly famed for being a goalkeeper who can play from the back.

croadyman

Interesting quotes. I've never really had him pegged as anything more than a shot stopper really but that might be more down to the style Bruce employed at Newcastle.

I'd still take that with a pinch of salt, mind. Eddie Howe is a coach who likes to play football and has replaced Dubravka with Nick Pope who isn't exactly famed for being a goalkeeper who can play from the back.
Yeah I found these quotes interesting too

lsd

The Oracle
He's a decent keeper and I guess his biggest asset playing the ball out from the back is why Ten Hag wants him

Litch

Many of the 3rd choice keepers are there as sudo assistant GK coaches.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
2 is ample,
I don't think Dean played more than three games last season and I don't think Tom played any!
It's not just about games, it's about training too, as there are various ways of organising things where having the extra GK is useful. I.E. allowing you to divide/work sessions differently or allowing your main goalkeepers to work on training relevant to them while your third is the one getting shot at by outfield players as part of their drills.

AussieDevil

He is a very good backup, and I'd be content with the signing. He will probably only play in the league cup and potentially early FA cup games.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
One of the most under-rated aspects of goalkeeping that has been lost at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.