Martin Keown | Redcafe do a RAWK

Antonedwin

He's constantly trying to intimate that Mourinho is bad for English talent at United. Complaining that Luke Shaw has stalled under him and that Rashford will be pushed out now we sign Sanchez, is being played in the wrong position etc.
Why don't he say that to his own team arsenal ? Never contribute quality player for England in the last 5 years

Zoo

The type of thread we'd laugh at RAWK for; BBC complaints, agenda against United etc.

Who even cares about this irrelevant man.
When the official FA Cup account are joining in too you know it was bad.

quethenoo

He's constantly trying to intimate that Mourinho is bad for English talent at United. Complaining that Luke Shaw has stalled under him and that Rashford will be pushed out now we sign Sanchez, is being played in the wrong position etc.
Yep and his co commentator pointed out that shaw had played the last 8 games or whatever several times, not to mention the fact that Rashford has played in every game this season ( I think?), and we have most minutes for academy players! You can't even put it down to an opinion, it's just factually incorrect!

Litch

I know there's a limited amount of ex Utd pundits but you question why they have 2 ex Arsenal player pundits the night Sanchez makes his debut?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I know there's a limited amount of ex Utd pundits but you question why they have 2 ex Arsenal player pundits the night Sanchez makes his debut?
To be fair, Wright was professional and offered a balanced view, Keown was obviously a scorned woman.

Litch

To be fair, Wright was professional and offered a balanced view, Keown was obviously a scorned woman.
I like Wrighty but I think it's a little loaded when you just never see Dwight and Gary pundits for say a Liverpool game....

Big Andy

Bloke
The worst comment of the night was "Rashford has played 3 positions tonight, up top, on the right and on the left...you have to wonder where he'll get game time when Sanchez plays all the time..."

Erm, I'd suggest he'll either play up front, on the left or on the right...

Canagel

The guy obviously has an agenda against United so I'm not going to lose sleep over his comments. The worst one apart from going at Sanchez was his criticism of Luke Shaw. Saying he's stagnated, not been developed, and when it was put to him that Shaw has been one of our best performers recently playing 6/7 games in a row he just said its because of Young's suspension otherwise he wouldn't have been in the team. Honestly how can you call yourself a pundit? He's not watching the games and even Mourinho praised him and said there aren't many left backs better than Shaw currently.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Him babbling on about rashford best position saying it gives southgate a problem that Jose won't stick to a set position. Keown is such a moron, every England fan knows it will only be Kane playing down the middle and rashford will be on the left.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Why does he assume that everyone watching a) is English, and b) gives a damn about the English national team? Besides, fans are increasingly club-before-country...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Look at the replies? Clearly a lot of us.
Did you actually watch the coverage? It was unprofessional. Constant digs, couldn't enjoy the game at all.
I think what you've done here is comment before checking what all the fuss is about.
I did, although his commentary was bad it didn't really get to me as much as other posters. Just find it hilarious that some posters here are complaining to the BBC website etc. Just feels like something we'd blast RAWK for.

POF

I particularly enjoyed when Keown mentioned twice that Shaw needed to start more games and make LB is own. The commentator almost instantaneously said ‘he’s started 6 of the last 7 games’.

Like someone else has said why was he even co-commentating on the game. He has no affiliation to either club. And with the recent transfer of Arsenal’s best player making his debut for his new club he was bound to be bitter. The one thing I really don’t get is how they could accept him going to City but not United.
Because Arsenal and United had the most bitter rivalry in the Premier League era. There was genuine hatred between the clubs. I still cannot stand them and my only involvement was watching it. That win at OT that ended the "Invincibles" and led to Arsenal's subsequent capitulation is still one of my favourite ever games.

Being a participant in that rivalry and one of the most deluded cretins in that Arsenal squad, it's no surprise at all that Keown is so bitter.

They're used to City taking their players. They've been their feeder club for 10 years.

JohnnyKills

Unbelievable isn't it. He made no attempt at neutrality and his views on the Sánchez transfer had no bearing on the game. Even the commentator sounded like he was getting annoyed.

Wright was just as bad before the game. They're supposed to be impartial, aren't they?

The BBC's football coverage is genuinely appalling all-round. Their 'analysis' is just a series of banal clichés and their features are just puffy nothingness. It feels like everything is driven by laziness and a desperate desire to tick boxes (to the point where it's actually insulting and self-defeating).

If they want to troll United in a cheap attempt to get the ABU vote, and compensate for their complete lack of flair or originality, then feck em.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Why does he assume that everyone watching a) is English, and b) gives a damn about the English national team? Besides, fans are increasingly club-before-country...
Indeed. The club--country debate was settled long ago. Seems the BBC didn't get the memo. Maybe Howard Nurse was the one charged with delivering it to head office.

b82REZ

Motd hasn't been good since Hansen left IMO. Keown was appalling last night but he's just one of many bad pundits they have, Danny Mills, Phil Neville and Alan Shearer offer no real insight and feels like they've been fed lines.

Nogbadthebad

Motd hasn't been good since Hansen left IMO. Keown was appalling last night but he's just one of many bad pundits they have, Danny Mills, Phil Neville and Alan Shearer offer no real insight and feels like they've been fed lines.
Its odd really, especially shearer, because i saw him on the true geordie podcast, and he was a completely different bloke, giving some proper thought into his views on football.

I guess motd is like that because that is what the bbc want it to be.

lsd

The Oracle
The fact that city fans are calling him a rag for his biased pro united commentary while utd fans are calling him a cvnt for being anti united suggests he is doing a decent job

Acole9

Outstanding
Even Merson has had a dig at him for giving him the man of the match award. He's finished as a pundit/commentator.

Brightonian

Closest any commentator has ever come to actually ruining the experience of watching a United game for me. Shameless bitterness and dislike. Had to ease off in the second half once we were dominating but until around the hour mark it was just a campaign of snide criticism of United, Mourinho, and most of all Sanchez. Unprofessional doesn't even cover it.

I'd expect better from the BBC. The vast majority of people watching this match were United fans. Someone in the corporation has decided to get Keown in to be spiky and critical. There's no way they didn't know what they were going to get. Do they really want to deliberately ruin the viewing experience for the majority of their audience?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Even Merson has had a dig at him for giving him the man of the match award. He's finished as a pundit/commentator.
Probably the opposite. He'll keep getting gigs because he riles people up.

People aren't looking for intelligent analysis with pundits and commentators. Look who you just mentioned, Merson, a genuine fecking idiot. Savage, another one.

BBC/BT/Sky would be more happy with thousands of retweets of one of their pundits being an idiot over a dozen praising the analysis of a goal.

Acole9

Outstanding
Probably the opposite. He'll keep getting gigs because he riles people up.

People aren't looking for intelligent analysis with pundits and commentators. Look who you just mentioned, Merson, a genuine fecking idiot. Savage, another one.

BBC/BT/Sky would be more happy with thousands of retweets of one of their pundits being an idiot over a dozen praising the analysis of a goal.
Yeah definitely, BBC and BT share pundits anyway and they're all a bunch of numpty's. Keown, Savage, Murphy, Wright, Sutton, Jenas and Kilbane.

JohnnyKills

They're all just calling it in. The producers clearly feel no need or desire to try anything new; there's no commercial pressure and there won't be until they make the licence fee voluntary.

Jenas was quite promising but he's gone to BT sport and the rest are just terrible. Lineker's salary is a complete joke - his attempt at a west country accent at the start of last night's joke was as lame and cheap as you can get.

JohnnyKills

Closest any commentator has ever come to actually ruining the experience of watching a United game for me. Shameless bitterness and dislike. Had to ease off in the second half once we were dominating but until around the hour mark it was just a campaign of snide criticism of United, Mourinho, and most of all Sanchez. Unprofessional doesn't even cover it.

I'd expect better from the BBC. The vast majority of people watching this match were United fans. Someone in the corporation has decided to get Keown in to be spiky and critical. There's no way they didn't know what they were going to get. Do they really want to deliberately ruin the viewing experience for the majority of their audience?
I think they're more interested in getting the ABU vote, knowing that united fans will watch anyway.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Like a lot of people I used the red button and had the radio commentary instead. It was like chalk and cheese. They couldn't have been nicer if they tried.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I doubt the moron gets another commentary job honestly, he was even getting called out by the FA twitter. Even Mickey Owen is better even if he is not the brightest.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I doubt the moron gets another commentary job honestly, he was even getting called out by the FA twitter. Even Mickey Owen is better even if he is not the brightest.
Doesn't he work for BT as well, so he will turn up somewhere as a pundit. I am sure he is the Arsenal pundit in the studio for Arsenal's EL games. :(

cyberman

Every organisation is desperate for banter. He'll be on next game and they'll make light of it so it's slanted in a way it becomes good old Keown. Once a gooner, always a gooner.
Its why Merson, Sutton, Savage etc can walk into jobs.

Feedingseagulls

The wordless sounds Keown would emit whilst being forcibly impaled on a cactus would make more sense than his commentary last night *

* In the interests of science I think this assertion should be experimentally verified.

Robertd0803

He was beyond pathetic on commentary. So out of touch and even the main commentator called him out on his nonsense regarding Rashford and Shaw.

Whinging about Sanchez losing the ball while he is in the middle of winning it back and then passing it across the pitch to set up another attack was a particular low-light.

Cambion

Oh well at least it created work for them:
Thanks for contacting us about our coverage of the Yeovil Town v Manchester United FA Cup match on 26 January.

We can assure you that our on-air team for our football coverage are chosen based on their broadcasting experience as well as their expertise in the sport. We regularly feature a range of former players as we believe that their insight to the game is invaluable to our audience.

As an ex-professional player who has had the honour of winning the FA Cup, Martin Keown clearly has an informed professional opinion on the Alexis Sanchez transfer and especially the match itself. We’re satisfied that he provided fair and balanced commentary throughout and at the end of the game, he ended up picking Sanchez as his ‘man of the match’.

Although we acknowledge that you may disagree with our response, we'd like to assure you that our football production team appreciate your feedback and are aware of the concerns you've raised. They take a keen interest in what our audience are saying and use a lot of the feedback to shape future programmes.