Martin Tyler | Retiring

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Tyler’s appalling as well, but I expect he would give the exact same response as Drury.

My mate loves football, but it doesn’t mean I would enjoy his commentary. Drury just doesn’t work for me.
Alan Parry i liked as main commentator on Sky, too; and Brian Moore on ITV

stevoc

Saw an interview with him where he said that he commentates on every game like it's a privilege to be there because to the fans it's always special. I can get behind that.

Martin Tyler commentates every Sky game because... he's experienced? Because it's easier than replacing him? The guy doesn't care anymore and commentates on every game like he can't wait to get home and catch up on The Chase.

Give me a commentator who loves the sport over one going through the motions any day.
He hasn't sounded like he cares for a long time and to be fair I'm not surprised he's nearly 80 and would probably prefer to sit in his pyjamas and watch the Chase, yet Sky keep wheeling him up and down the country to say ''And it's Live!''.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Am I the only one who gets extremely annoyed by Jim Beglin?

The way he talks is so condescending and I dislike his voice too. Half the time he's basically advising the players and moaning about no contact. Hate his commentary.

I like Drury for the big moments. Tyler used to be good, not anymore.

croadyman

Could have swore I just heard him say Son Heung Min on City v Villa game clip on SSN. I presume he meant to say Tyrone Mings

Paranoid Android

The way he talks is so condescending and I dislike his voice too. Half the time he's basically advising the players and moaning about no contact. Hate his commentary.

Beglin starts every sentence with "Yeah" and I can't not notice it every time he commentates now.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Nah he's a tool and the most biased commentator out there.

Charles Miller

"Here he is again, here he is again, that's astonishing, absolutely world class!!" - with Maguire clips are among my favorite things on the internet.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
God forbid someone show some actual passion and excitement for the sport! He’s the best in the business by a mile, made so many goals better through commentary alone.
I do like Peter Drury, but he over does it sometimes, like Salah scoring a random to put Liverpool 3-0 up at home to Watford doesn't need the same gusto as Rodrygo scoring a last second goal vs City in a European semifinal. I do generally enjoy listening to him but he's a bit cringe sometimes.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I do like Peter Drury, but he over does it sometimes, like Salah scoring a random to put Liverpool 3-0 up at home to Watford doesn't need the same gusto as Rodrygo scoring a last second goal vs City in a European semifinal. I do generally enjoy listening to him but he's a bit cringe sometimes.
Yeh I don’t disagree but it’s also impossible to have the right reaction to every single goal or moment and I’d say he gets it right more often than not.

ScholesyTheWise

It's funny how pretty much every set of fans of the traditional big English clubs feel like he hates them (with that being said, no one can convince me that Tyler doesn't take joy in seeing us fail).

I totally agree that he can't hack it since a very long time ago. But it's pretty obvious why they won't retire him until he becomes senile or something to that effect. He's like some sort of a brand by now, that maybe the average Joe who's not invested in football as most of us are will wait to hear whenever he catches an odd game on Sky.

I really miss Andy Gray, the commentator at least, less the person that he seems to be. Really awesome voice for the job, had sufficient knowledge of the game to highlight the main things in a certain play without going over the top or trying too hard to be inventive a la G Nev at times... He really added to the experience of watching a game on TV as far as I can remember.

Tyler even at his best was more about specific moments in a game (I've seen them referred to as "soundbites"?) and he was very good at that mind you.

But yeah he's now become insufferable most times. Barry Davies and Drury are quite alright.

cyberman

It's funny how pretty much every set of fans of the traditional big English clubs feel like he hates them (with that being said, no one can convince me that Tyler doesn't take joy in seeing us fail).

I totally agree that he can't hack it since a very long time ago. But it's pretty obvious why they won't retire him until he becomes senile or something to that effect. He's like some sort of a brand by now, that maybe the average Joe who's not invested in football as most of us are will wait to hear whenever he catches an odd game on Sky.

I really miss Andy Gray, the commentator at least, less the person that he seems to be. Really awesome voice for the job, had sufficient knowledge of the game to highlight the main things in a certain play without going over the top or trying too hard to be inventive a la G Nev at times... He really added to the experience of watching a game on TV as far as I can remember.

Tyler even at his best was more about specific moments in a game (I've seen them referred to as "soundbites"?) and he was very good at that mind you.

But yeah he's now become insufferable most times. Barry Davies and Drury are quite alright.
Gray would get caught up in his own opinion at times as well though. I still remember the time Drogba had a goal disallowed (v Fulham?)and he went on this crazy tangent about how impossible it was for the linesman to see the handball and that it was a guess.
I watch Bein for EPL and he really isn’t as good as we remember him. He buys into hyperbole a little too much

ScholesyTheWise

Gray would get caught up in his own opinion at times as well though. I still remember the time Drogba had a goal disallowed (v Fulham?)and he went on this crazy tangent about how impossible it was for the linesman to see the handball and that it was a guess.
I watch Bein for EPL and he really isn’t as good as we remember him. He buys into hyperbole a little too much
Yeah I bet my memory tends to be as nostalgic as that of the next guy.
I also don't like his latest version on Bein.

was talking more of his gig at Sky some 15 years ago maybe?

seems like lots of fellas don't retire on a high... but then you could say that regarding many singers etc.
I guess it's a bit much to expect someone to give up on their (probably very lucrative) source of livelihood just because they are past their best.

cyberman

Really low key for the third goal. Obvious he was expecting a flag and didn’t do the goal justice.
when Saka had his shot wide he randomly said Jesus goes past Martinez, from Ajax, which was weird

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
When Fred made a mess of a ball into Ronaldo and Ramsdale swept it up he said 'the Ronaldo of old would have gotten there' which was weird, incorrect and unnecessary. It was Fred's poor pass that ended the chance. Neville corrected him.

He really rubs me up the wrong way these days but maybe time is what has done that. He's just been around for so long.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Honestly, listen to the commentator on the Scottish matches. He's brilliant, huge passion in the Celtic Rangers match. He's a million miles better than Tyler these days.

WirralRed

He’s so low key and casual for every goal scored these days, he dosent seem to get excited for any. I miss the Andy Gray days, he always made a goal feel special.

stevoc

Really low key for the third goal. Obvious he was expecting a flag and didn’t do the goal justice.
when Saka had his shot wide he randomly said Jesus goes past Martinez, from Ajax, which was weird
Hardly surprising Marty's a big Arsenal fan.

Josh 76

Honestly, listen to the commentator on the Scottish matches. He's brilliant, huge passion in the Celtic Rangers match. He's a million miles better than Tyler these days.
There are so many young commentators nowadays who get excited and enthusiastic. Tyler has had his day!

stevoc

It's painful listening to him these days.

Sky should stop telling him stats like Sterling has never scored against United. Tell him something like that and he drones on about it for half the fecking match trying to jinx it. Just so he can let rip with whatever cringy fecking line he's made up to mark the occasion.

Time he retired and let someone who was born post WW2 take over.

Last edited:

Red00012

Hard to imagine Tyler and Gray were commentating together in the 90’s and over 20 years have passed and Sky still have him there.

sugar_kane

Exciting new talent Garnacho gets a winner with the last kick of the game before the World Cup break, Tyler sounds like he’s commentating on the Queen’s funeral.

Not even bothering to conceal how much he can’t stand us.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Exciting new talent Garnacho gets a winner with the last kick of the game before the World Cup break, Tyler sounds like he’s commentating on the Queen’s funeral.

Wasn't watching on sky so it's disappointing to hear he couldn't get excited for that.

Remember "Antony Martial, welcome to Manchester United"?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Innit, was gutted.

SambaBoy

I thought his tone was quite subdued. Maybe he's been told to tone it down after the Martial vs Liverpool.

AFC NimbleThumb

Chart his reaction for the Eriksen goal versus the James equaliser. Time for Sky to bring back the red button so you can just listen to the crowd.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Standard Tyler. He was practically mourning our goals against Arsenal.

cyberman

He tends to react louder for home goals, maybe he forgets he doesn’t have to shout louder to be heard.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's nearly 80. Amazing in this day and age Sky haven't pensioned him off but guess he's too iconic to their coverage so will wait for himself to decide to step down.

Much prefer listening to likes of Peter Drury on the American stream. Him wildly excitable at shouting a players full name when they're having shots is brilliant.