g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Martinez and Varane official injury update | Martinez out for rest of season, Varane a few weeks

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If that happens it will have been largely down to things outside of the manager's control, like losing so many key players to injury, including both CBs.

So close to the run in, this would derail any teams season. Look how much Arsenal struggled without Saliba the other night.

Let's at least wait for the season to end and see how we do. We can then try and dissect it using a bit of perspective, instead of emotional hyperbole.
Maybe so but previous managers have had awful luck too. This is the point.

Thankfully I think we will get over the line in the end so it won't matter.

A-man

The congestion post world cup has weakened his bones?

If that was a thing we'd have players everywhere going down with metatarsals.
I could be wrong, but isn’t stress fracture a fairly common reason for metatarsal fractures? No idea if that’s what happened here though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's cow bone put under severe weight.

Martinez just rolled his foot at a strange angle and a bone broke. It happens.
Was watching the Everton game again yesterday and Ellis Simms stood on Licha foot. If that happens a few times during games it could definitely weaken the bone, then just put the foot down in the wrong way and hey presto.

Marwood

Was watching the Everton game again yesterday and Ellis Simms stood on Licha foot. If that happens a few times during games it could definitely weaken the bone, then just put the foot down in the wrong way and hey presto.
I doubt it but yeah maybe. However that's somebody stamping on your foot repeatedly. That could happen whenever.

It's not an accumulation of games.

What can't be said is that for sure players are breaking bones because of too many games. It's just a modern day thing to moan about too many games.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I doubt it but yeah maybe. However that's somebody stamping on your foot repeatedly. That could happen whenever.

What can't be said is that for sure players are breaking bones because of too many games. It's just a modern day thing to moan about too many games.
Yeah. Muscle injuries might be because of number of games, but not breaks.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Is Phil Jones back in training :wenger:
According to the Express (so it must be true...)

Manchester United star Phil Jones was left in ‘serious distress’ after he suffered an injury relapse earlier in the season, according to reports. The England international has found himself in the spotlight after recent injuries to Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez. However, he isn’t registered to play in the Premier League and has been unable to complete a single training session all season.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Glad they didnt dither and just got it done right away. Have him prepped and ready to go for pre-season hopefully.
The way we and Rashford postponed his surgery so that he could go to Euro was ridiculous. In the end he got nothing from it and even wasted the last season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Maybe so but previous managers have had awful luck too. This is the point.

Thankfully I think we will get over the line in the end so it won't matter.
I dont know how can you bring previous managers to this equation at all. They were crap and the team were playing crap. So injuries aren't an excuse while ETH has proved he isn't crap and can implement his methods. Injuries can be considered as an excuse here

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I dont know how can you bring previous managers to this equation at all. They were crap and the team were playing crap. So injuries aren't an excuse while ETH has proved he isn't crap and can implement his methods. Injuries can be considered as an excuse here
We came 2nd and 3rd under the previous manager. Last time I checked we were 3rd.

Alex B

According to the Express (so it must be true...)

Manchester United star Phil Jones was left in ‘serious distress’ after he suffered an injury relapse earlier in the season, according to reports. The England international has found himself in the spotlight after recent injuries to Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez. However, he isn’t registered to play in the Premier League and has been unable to complete a single training session all season.
Would usually have to check the date for that rag as I wouldn't believe it, but pretty certain there is truth to this particular article!

Eric_the_Red99

The Pope is gonna arrange some Lazarus-type deal for Martinez so that should mean he’s back for the finals.

(Seriously though, what the feck is all this about???)

FerociousCorgis

Need to bring in a starter worthy quality CB. Gotta have someone we can count on to fill in for varane consistently

cyberman

Isn’t that the same dick who reported everybody thought Martinez did his Achilles only for Ten Hag to instantly shut that up in his post presser?
I say wait and see. I’m not sure they’d do a scan of his injury when it was swollen so I’m guessing they waited until it subsided for the 3 week prognosis?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Need to bring in a starter worthy quality CB. Gotta have someone we can count on to fill in for varane consistently
I agree, I think Martinez needs a partner. Can see it being on next summers list though, and us trying our luck to squeeze another good season out of Varane.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Pretty much season over territory now.

If we don't get top 4 then going after all 4 competitions is really going to be shown up for how stupid it really was. The worst season in history of football due to a winter world cup to go all out in 4 comps was the one we decided was for us. Hahaha

Shaw was good at CB last time but that wasn't alongside Lindelof or Maguire.

2 man midfield

Pretty much season over territory now.

If we don't get top 4 then going after all 4 competitions is really going to be shown up for how stupid it really was. The worst season in history of football due to a winter world cup to go all out in 4 comps was the one we decided was for us. Hahaha

Shaw was good at CB last time but that wasn't alongside Lindelof or Maguire.
Really not looking forward to a potential cup final against city with lindelof and Maguire starting. That is unless Ten Hag reverts to Oleball and we sit back and shithouse a win. I guess we’ll have to see if they can get us through tomorrow first.

Cantonagotmehere

1st leg vs those shitehouse Sevillans was the biggest disaster of the year. Hate that tourney, not hindsight I wish we went out early. Always do. Go for FA, top 4 etc... ugh

Irwin99

Waiting for the official line. I hope Varane is back in a few weeks but if not i think i'd rather have Shaw and Lindelof or Shaw and Maguire as the defensive duo.

2 man midfield

1st leg vs those shitehouse Sevillans was the biggest disaster of the year. Hate that tourney, not hindsight I wish we went out early. Always do. Go for FA, top 4 etc... ugh
As much as I’m still raging about that Martinez handball penalty, I’m glad we got drawn against Barca and knocked them out as this team is still developing - and knowing we can go to places like the nou camp and take the game to them, and look bloody good doing so will stay with these players.

But it also makes you wonder why after all that, they ruin it by putting in a gutless display like the one we saw on Thursday. Pulling out of tackles, not doing the basics. Would we have been better off going out to Betis in the quarters? Yeah probably.

Bondi77

This is what happens when we bring players in that are just entering the stage of being injury prone.
Very good defender but it looks like we are going to be paying him an awful lot of money for playing about 25-30% of a season.

Cantonagotmehere

As much as I’m still raging about that Martinez handball penalty, I’m glad we got drawn against Barca and knocked them out as this team is still developing - and knowing we can go to places like the nou camp and take the game to them, and look bloody good doing so will stay with these players.

But it also makes you wonder why after all that, they ruin it by putting in a gutless display like the one we saw on Thursday. Pulling out of tackles, not doing the basics. Would we have been better off going out to Betis in the quarters? Yeah probably.
Very good point. I just think top 4 for ETH and the squad is paramount to get us going above anything else this season. But again, you are so correct about that Barca tie.

ArbeitervonWien

This is what happens when we bring players in that are just entering the stage of being injury prone.
Very good defender but it looks like we are going to be paying him an awful lot of money for playing about 25-30% of a season.
According to whoscored.com he played 30 games for us this season. We really play many games this year but I don't think thats 25-30% of our season.

BorisManUtd

If we manage to go through to FA Cup final then I hope Varane can be back for last game of PL vs Fulham, get some minutes in that game so he can start vs City. But there's over a month until then so we'll see .

Last edited:

Wezzaldo

I agree. Plus it’s more likely down to how modern day boots provide next to no support/protection.