Martinez and Varane official injury update | Martinez out for rest of season, Varane a few weeks

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I blame the man who shall not be named (uses botox) for everything bad that happened this season

SATA

The Maguire and Lindelof got us to a EL final only two years ago. And now we have Casemiro in front of them. We’ll be fine with them. It’s the lack of goals that i am kind of concerned about especially without Rashford

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
At least Lindelof and Maguire are an established partnership. Not many clubs have the 'fortune' of a pairing like that as full back up. It's not ideal, but it's where we are and we deal with it.

Totally knew it was metatarsal, almost carbon copy of Rooney pulling up a while back. Sooo much better than an achilles. I've broken two and they heal pretty fast and fully, and that's without professional care.

dinostar77

This is what happens when you have a bloody world cup in the middle of the season.

Redfrog

The Maguire and Lindelof got us to a EL final only two years ago. And now we have Casemiro in front of them. We’ll be fine with them. It’s the lack of goals that i am kind of concerned about especially without Rashford
If Martial stay fit, with Sancho and Antony, I think we will be fine. We are a complete different proposition up front with him. He is very good at keeping the ball and playing football.

Dannn411

Although both are error prone and shrink in the biggest moments, Lindelof and Maguire are both still premier league level defenders that can do a good job depending on how the side is set up. If we move the line a little backwards and stop the fannying around at the back, the pairing can work.

Dannn411

If Martial stay fit, with Sancho and Antony, I think we will be fine. We are a complete different proposition up front with him. He is very good at keeping the ball and playing football.
Okay with Martial and Antony, not okay with Sancho who I feel is pretty useless. Would rather anyone else than him out there.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Have we played/started our "best XI" once this season? With Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen, Rashford and Martial?
Nope, not a single match. A few days ago I went through all of Martial's matches to see if any of them had our strongest team (he's missed so many it's obviously the easiest way to cut down the amount of matches), and the closest we came were three matches where we were missing one defender. Varane once and Martinez twice.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Okay with Martial and Antony, not okay with Sancho who I feel is pretty useless. Would rather anyone else than him out there.
The current alternative is Elanga. So yeah, Sancho it is.

Actually, the other alternative is to play Bruno on the left and let Sabitzer continue at the #10 role. Or Wout. But either would obviously be weakening ourselves through the middle and probably wouldn't be worth it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's an hysterical reaction mate.
Not really given that the owners and board are likely changing anyway. How is that hysterical? Hahaha

If we come 5th and don't win any more cups will you consider the season a success? It will be a disaster in my eyes.

Let's hope we get over the line.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He's a known OGS fanboy, nothing surprising
I don't know why that's been brought up in a thread about defensive injuries, makes no sense.

Sack everyone because Martinez got a very unfortunate injury. Varane has been in and out all season, as has Shaw. The only big miss is Martinez, no reason to cry like a little baby, ffs!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't know why that's been brought up in a thread about defensive injuries, makes no sense.

Sack everyone because Martinez got a very unfortunate injury. Varane has been in and out all season, as has Shaw. The only big miss is Martinez, no reason to cry like a little baby, ffs!
I believe it'll be tough because I think Maguire is a calamitous defender and any line-up with him is likely to be exposed several times a game, no matter how well we play or don't.

But if we finish 5th, it'll certainly would be about par for the course before the season started and anyone trying to rewrite the past is obviously not doing it in good faith

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I understand the negativity but Varane-Shaw is still a good CB pairing once he comes back. At least we got Casemiro, Eriksen and Martial back. The season is definitely not over, although I wouldn't be devastated if we get knocked out by Sevilla. Just gotta make sure we lock up top 4 and we got a good chance of doing that.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I believe it'll be tough because I think Maguire is a calamitous defender and any line-up with him is likely to be exposed several times a game, no matter how well we play or don't.

But if we finish 5th, it'll certainly would be about par for the course before the season started and anyone trying to rewrite the past is obviously not doing it in good faith
With Casimero back to protect the defence, we should be alright.

Lee565

Sorry but europa is not worth the hassle, there are no instances of a team magically gaining a winners mentality when they win it and it just ultimately hinders teams in the league just like it did when we won under mourinho.

it's hard not to believe that we would be in a far healthier position in the league without playing in europa league, there are only 3 trophies worth winning and that is premier league, fa cup and champions league.

I can understand mid table sides taking it serious but not clubs of our size.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
That seems a bit over the top. I think we'll be okay in the premier league, easily finishing top 4 and maybe top 3. I think it's a lot less likely we'll win the FA cup and Europa League but we still have a chance at both.

I'm glad De Gea already got his clean sheet record though.....
T'was tongue in cheek.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Everyone. The owners, the board and maybe even the manager too if we don't make CL football. It will be an absolute disaster if we don't make it.
Well the owners and the board's heads cant roll because they are actually in charge so that just leaves ETH.
So what your actually saying is sack the manager if we dont make CL football. Hmmm ok.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Well the owners and the board's heads cant roll because they are actually in charge so that just leaves ETH.
So what your actually saying is sack the manager if we dont make CL football. Hmmm ok.
If we don't make top 4 I think serious questions should be asked considering how bad the rivals for top 4 are and the fact we've been up there all season.

I think we will make it though so it's all purely hypothetical. I will be livid if we don't.

HackeyC

Anyone else think it was unacceptable that the Sevilla players carried him off the pitch? Self interest disguised as friendliness. Get him off so they could play against 10 men and to top it off they stood him on his feet at the side of the pitch when he had a broken foot.

A-man

Anyone else think it was unacceptable that the Sevilla players carried him off the pitch? Self interest disguised as friendliness. Get him off so they could play against 10 men and to top it off they stood him on his feet at the side of the pitch when he had a broken foot.
He is of age and can decide himself if he wants to be carried or not. Think it really was just a friendly gesture and if not, who can blame them for wanting to continue the game?

georgipep

I was ironic, we won’t even have the ‘dreaded’ Maguire and Lindelof against Brighton, and it’s not like these two are a miracle of health either, seems especially like Lindelof have had a lot of issues the last years.

When you think about it, it’s kind of scary because we have almost two months left of football — which logically should carry exponential risk of us picking up injuries given the mileage of the team. Shaw, Rafa and Martinez are already out. That hurts. But we still got three guys who can play CB (Vic, Harry and Cas). But it’s not like it’s 1 in a million that we will get a couple of more injuries there… What is next? Malacia-McT at CB?
It is very concerning and not just at CB position, I think it will be a very tricky end of the season

Marwood

This is what happens when you have a bloody world cup in the middle of the season.
Martinez barely played in the World Cup. If anything it gave him a bit of a rest.

But even if he did, I still don't see the link between games and a broken bone.

justsomebloke

Difficult is admittedly subjective, but we should be aiming to get a draw at least against spurs without our strongest line up. No, it’s not ideal, but the fixture list in the league is as kind as you could realistically hope for. 4/5 wins and a couple of draws from our remaining 9 games should be enough for top 4 and isn’t a massive ask, even with Maguire at centre half.
True. There's no game left which you'd reasonably expect the other team to win, seen in isolation. I think Spurs blew their chance today.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Its a hypothetical question mate. If we finish 5th and don't win anything else it's been an awful season.
Still better than last season.

But no, you are chatting absolute rubbish here. It’s been a great season, and we have seen big improvements. Nobody expected to win anything this season so if it’s all we get then LC is a bonus.

Calm the feck down.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

But no, you are chatting absolute rubbish here. It’s been a great season, and we have seen big improvements. Nobody expected to win anything this season so if it’s all we get then LC is a bonus.

Calm the feck down.
No if we were to finish 5th (I don't think we will FYI) it would be far from a great season. It would be pretty disastrous in my opinion.

It was purely hypothetical.

I don't think it's been a great season either. That's going way too far.

glasgow 21

Why don't we disband the football club, whilst we're on about it?

wtf are you on about :houllier:
Correct, Im in my own camp which declares its the destination i'm interested in and the journey can be rocky. Ten Hag will get the playing style we desire. As for where we finish? top 4 is a win, if not and we end up outside top 4 and it makes the parasites press the sell button then its a win, win.

dinostar77

Martinez barely played in the World Cup. If anything it gave him a bit of a rest.

Fixture congestion after the world cup till end of season.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Calm the feck down.
It's been a great season for Arsenal, not for us. For us it has been a decent season after last year's disaster.
A Carabao Cup win doesn't make our season great, only winning a major trophy would. (or for us winning the other 2 cups also)
At least that's how I see it.

Cantona in disguise

If we don't make top 4 I think serious questions should be asked considering how bad the rivals for top 4 are and the fact we've been up there all season.

I think we will make it though so it's all purely hypothetical. I will be livid if we don't.
The man has a 70% win rate in his first season with a squad that isn't fully his yet. He's worked miracles to get a tune out of some of the players who were here last season. Yes there have been blips and it hasn't been perfect.

He has enough credit for next season at least. Questions need to be asked next season if we are still getting tankings against the scousers and city etc. If we aren't comfortably in the top 4 next season 2nd/3rd then without doubt he will be under pressure.

If people aren't happy with this season then they have unrealistic expectations. ETH is doing a good job with learning a new league. Next season is big for him.

Reactions: oates

Crimson King

There isn't, it was just a fluke occurrence. People on here will find any reason to moan at the manager for not resting a player more.

Crimson King

Its a hypothetical question mate. If we finish 5th and don't win anything else it's been an awful season.
If that happens it will have been largely down to things outside of the manager's control, like losing so many key players to injury, including both CBs.

So close to the run in, this would derail any teams season. Look how much Arsenal struggled without Saliba the other night.

Let's at least wait for the season to end and see how we do. We can then try and dissect it using a bit of perspective, instead of emotional hyperbole.