Martinez Injury | Out for the season with metatarsal fracture

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
feck sake. I’d rather Lindelof and Shaw as a pairing to be honest. At least they can pass the ball and don’t take a week to release it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I don’t even think Maguire is a terrible back up I just can’t be arsed watching him. Opposite feeling to Martinez.

Nogho

Seems to a common injury. Hope he gets back to full form again. Best signing since RvN.
The metatarsal bones are often broken by association football players. These and other recent cases have been attributed to the lightweight design of modern football boots, which provide less protection to the foot. In 2010 some soccer players began testing a new sock that incorporated a rubber silicone pad over the foot to provide protection to the top of the foot.[7] Stress fractures are thought to account for 16% of injuries related to sports participation, and the metatarsals are the bones most often involved. These fractures are sometimes called march fractures, based on their traditional association with military recruits after long marches. The second and third metatarsals are fixed while walking, thus these metatarsals are common sites of injury. The fifth metatarsal may be fractured if the foot is oversupinated during locomotion.[8]

bosskeano

Had the same injury myself when playing...spiral fractured my 5th metatarsal on my right foot

no surgery required but was in a boot for 6 weeks and back by 8 weeks

bloody shit hurt like fuk when it happened...the pop was so loud i actually thought it was the bottom of my boot blowing out

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I think the Sevilla guys lifted him up before the medical staff arrived. I don't think they typically run out until someone on the field signals for them to do so. Maybe they were a bit slow on the uptake.
Ah right. Must admit I can't remember the exact sequence of events but seeing the pic of him being carried off while a United medic hovered in the background made me think he was leaving the scene rather than arriving, which you'd expect.Thanks.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Out for the season sounds really bad, but the season is literally 6-7 weeks or so left.
The good news it's nothing super serious that'd take 6months or more.

In a way, ruling him out is the best bet, as we've seen in the past with Rooney and Beckham that rushing these metatarsal injuries is absolutely not worth the risk.

crossy1686

career ending
Out for the season sounds really bad, but the season is literally 6-7 weeks or so left.
The good news it's nothing super serious that'd take 6months or more.

In a way, ruling him out is the best bet, as we've seen in the past with Rooney and Beckham that rushing these metatarsal injuries is absolutely not worth the risk.
We should be thankful there’s no summer comp for him to rush back for, all he has to do is take it easy and get back to fitness now, plenty of time over the summer.

CloneMC16

Check the Bailly thread, there’s a video of him almost killing some guy in the most reckless 50/50 way you’d expect from him
Had to go check it out.

Bloody crazy. You deserve more than a 3 match ban for doing that.

crossy1686

career ending
It was hilarious here last night. Redcafe physicians handing out career-ending diagnoses like WebMD dishes out cancer predictions. The hubris of some of the posters, speaking in absolutes as only a true internet nobody can. Regarding Martinez, it is neither good nor bad. He is out for the season which sucks but luckily escaped the Achilles injury that some here were salivating over him having.
:lol: Imagine being so up your own arse you think people are happy about our best player being injured?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Anybody know if this is that sort of injury where the player just never returns the same?
It's not if treated properly and unless he has other damage to tendons/ligaments that weren't disclosed, he should be the same players.

The only think that could be bad is if his stress fracture was in part caused by a lower bone density, meaning it could happen again. But there's no sign of that as far as we know.

peridigm

If I recall, didn't he rush back for internationals and didn't look right until the next season?
Was the 2006 WC wasn’t it? Did he have two metatarsal injuries? I thought he had one towards the end of SAF reign.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It's not if treated properly and unless he has other damage to tendons/ligaments that weren't disclosed, he should be the same players.

The only think that could be bad is if his stress fracture was in part caused by a lower bone density, meaning it could happen again. But there's no sign of that as far as we know.
Thank you

TsuWave

Favourite player. Hope he comes back as if nothing happened. Guy introduced me to fine dining and I'm not ready to go back to gruel

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Time for Maguire and Shaw to step up at CB. I don't know why but I feel Maguire may have actually turned a corner. He is still painfully ponderous in possession but seems a bit more confident in getting out of trouble when under pressure. He is also a decent passer of the ball when he is in full flow.

Nero

It's a metatarsal injury ffs. People questioning if it could effect his career. This place sometimes.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Just had to happen during the final stages of the season.

Poborksy96

Huge blow to our hopes of EL or top 4. What utter shite timing. Still ahead of where I expected us to be last summer though, so hoping we can at least secure top 4 as a priority. EL or FA are big shouts now.

Alonzo

How did I over react to other people saying he’s done his achilles?

Other people over reacted to me saying he’s done at this level IF he has done his Achilles because they didn’t want it to be true.

Take your gas lighting elsewhere.
“take your gaslighting elsewhere” haha wow. Way to double down on the drama queen vibes

Sir Erik ten Hag

Time for Maguire and Shaw to step up at CB. I don't know why but I feel Maguire may have actually turned a corner. He is still painfully ponderous in possession but seems a bit more confident in getting out of trouble when under pressure. He is also a decent passer of the ball when he is in full flow.
Maguire's biggest issue has always been his stinking luck, though. How many own goals from deflection off him already...

Tap

Out medical team and doctors ought to be fined and fired. What’s up with all these recurring injury crises season after season.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Out medical team and doctors ought to be fined and fired. What’s up with all these recurring injury crises season after season.
Amazing how much wrong you can get in such a short post.

The medical team and doctors can only help with recovery. It’s the physios and coaches who need to work with the players to prevent injuries with post game recovery exercises and improving their body mechanics, or working on strengthening their injury prone areas.

Also plenty of our injuries have been down to bad luck with our players getting hit hard by opposing players, how the feck are the medical team supposed to prevent that? We send them out with a bat to hit any opposing players who look like they’re gonna go in for a hard tackle?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Don't panic guys captain success is available.

We need an rvn

Amazing how much wrong you can get in such a short post.

The medical team and doctors can only help with recovery. It’s the physios and coaches who need to work with the players to prevent injuries with post game recovery exercises and improving their body mechanics, or working on strengthening their injury prone areas.

Also plenty of our injuries have been down to bad luck with our players getting hit hard by opposing players, how the feck are the medical team supposed to prevent that? We send them out with a bat to hit any opposing players who look like they’re gonna go in for a hard tackle?
To add to that, a hell of a lot is down to how many matches we have had to play and the limit quality in our squad to fight on all fronts, hence why Fernandez has played more minutes than anyone in all of Europe etc. added to that the lack of recovery time leads to injuries obtained that most likely wouldn’t have happened if we didn’t have to play 3 matches in 6 days for example.

ridiculous post by @Tap

Stookie

Nurse bell end
How much more bad luck can we have this season? If ever there was a season that highlighted the need for a big squad, this is it.

Bigfatron

Leicester won the league with Huth and Morgan.

Surely Maguire and Lindelof can secure top 4 and a cup final.

Sushi Kagawa

People thinking Licha will be back for the FA and EL finals make me laugh. Making the finals will be a huge ask now. Top 4 must be priority