5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

Martial has been poor agreed. Rashford's been the same as last season, anonymous for 85 minutes each match but will probably end up with 20 goals and 10 assists anyway.

Greenwood, eh, I just expect a bit more because I've seen what he can do. Of course it's still early in the season and things will change.
I
I expect more too but he hasn't been given any run to do better when he is the first off when things go bad. Rashford gets the benefit of getting to play anyway

Strelok

He made me look fecking stupid after my last comments regarding his talent. It's only one match and he's only 19 but if this continues, I don't know what's wrong but we should start worry about his development. He missed two very BIG chances today. That's very unusual.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People are being very harsh in here today. Only difference between his and Rashfords performance is Rashford was given 45 more minutes.

Fred or Matic deserved to go off at half time more than Greenwood.

It doesn't help when his minutes have been very inconsistent.
Agree with your first line. In fact I'd say Rashford was probably worse.

Completely disagree with your second line though. Fred and Matic were playing much better, and we were generally outperforming Southampton all over the park except for our attackers. Both Rashford and Greenwood were easily our worst players today.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The first one was difficult i felt and even if it was heading in, the defender probably would have stopped it, unless Mason lifted it over him.

But he should have buried the second one. Any side of the goaly such is the power, it is a goal.

Hopefully he is just not match fit or something.

Strelok

The first one was difficult i felt and even if it was heading in, the defender probably would have stopped it, unless Mason lifted it over him.

But he should have buried the second one. Any side of the goaly such is the power, it is a goal.

Hopefully he is just not match fit or something.
No the first one was a very easy chance. The keeper was not even in the goal. He should have stopped knowing there was a defender sliding to block the ball, then simply passed the ball in with his right. Rashford usually does it.

But my biggest problem is he missed the goal with his shot, that was very unusual for him. And the second one he hit it right at the keeper, that's also very unusual of him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Terrible game but he’s only 19. Need at least 4-5 more years to start judging him what he can become as a striker. So far he’s talented, has some weakness, can improve and learn from Cavani.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
First attempt wasn't that bad, a little unlucky as he was running from a tight angle. The second chance however was pretty poor finishing, I was surprised at Mason for that finish, I expected him to place it in the corner but he pelted it in the middle instead. Bit disappointing, but at least he was a danger, he was unfortunate to be brought off but the right choice. Important he's back in the first team though and he'll get lots of minutes in the coming 2 months.

thepolice123

Going through a massive dip in form and shows why we need to be patient with young players instead of hyping them to the moon.

Devil may care

Missed a good chance and never got going, still have total faith in the kid, always ups and downs at his age.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It has been and probably will continue to be a rough season for him, I reckon. Second season syndrome happens to most young players — the added media scrutiny is just exacerbating the matter. He’ll be fine though. He’s got enough ability to not be.

siw2007

Young lad has had illness, injury and personal issues to deal with this season. He’s only just getting back into the team, it is fair that he is looking a little rusty at the moment. Nothing to worry about, just need to be patient and he will be fine.

hubbuh

He made me look fecking stupid after my last comments regarding his talent. It's only one match and he's only 19 but if this continues, I don't know what's wrong but we should start worry about his development. He missed two very BIG chances today. That's very unusual.
Worry about his development because he missed two chances? I think he's earned enough credit to be allowed two bleedin' misses! As others have said it's been a topsy turvy start to the season but that's very normal in young players following a breakout year. He's got world class potential and will be fine. There's no need to overreact and panic.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's really not unusual. Everybody is creaming over Cavani right now but man, you can make a solid compilation of some ridiculous misses from El Matador and he's one of the best strikers in the world. Haaland missed a sitter yesterday, Mbappe as well, CR7, Aguero, you name it. They've all missed the same kind of chances this kid did today. No need to worry, at least not yet.

Mike Smalling

Tough spell for him, but the talent is still there. Last year we had a number of easier games in the Europa League, where he could show his talent and build confidence, but this year it is mostly difficult games in a team that is not firing on all cylinders.

Hope he gets a goal soon to turn things around.

criticalanalysis

Uncharacteristic lack of composure in front of goal but if this is 'poor', that just speaks volumes about his talent.

Worried but not worried.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I really hope we win the game against PSG so Greenwood and Martial can go against Leipzig under some lack of pressure and try find the net to get their confidence up.

Strelok

It's really not unusual. Everybody is creaming over Cavani right now but man, you can make a solid compilation of some ridiculous misses from El Matador and he's one of the best strikers in the world. Haaland missed a sitter yesterday, Mbappe as well, CR7, Aguero, you name it. They've all missed the same kind of chances this kid did today. No need to worry, at least not yet.
It's unusual for Greenwood. The most special thing about this kid is he basically doesn't miss, even the most difficult ones. Even if he can't score it's usually because the keeper pull out a great save. That's why I rate him that high. I don't mind if he didn't score but the quality in his finishing last match was very unusual for him. If Rashford or Martial did so, well it's kinda normal. But it's very unusual for Greenwood to finish like that.

Hope this is just one match. If this continues we should start worry I think.

AmanNits04

He is still a teenager with just his second semi proper season. Out of all the strikers at United, I am most confident about him, that he would bury the chance. He just needs minutes, he will score for sure.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's unusual for Greenwood. The most special thing about this kid is he basically doesn't miss, even the most difficult ones. Even if he can't score it's usually because the keeper pull out a great save. That's why I rate him that high. I don't mind if he didn't score but the quality in his finishing last match was very unusual for him. If Rashford or Martial did so, well it's kinda normal. But it's very unusual for Greenwood to finish like that.

Hope this is just one match. If this continues we should start worry I think.
I don't think you can confidently say what is or isn't unusual for a player that's got less than 100 professional games in his entire career, but maybe it's not normal to you because the sample size was too small and had great results, unsustainable ones I might add. This is why overhyping young players has that backlash effect and it's reflected in the press and how the player is covered, I hope Mason at least doesn't buy into his own hype and gets down for missing chances that everybody misses every now and then. You make it seem like there's something not right when it's just a normal phase of any player, even brilliant goal scorers. He's not always going to score these chances, he might miss even easier ones down the line, but overall he will start contributing again and get in a groove. I think Greenwood could have an entire season where he's missing those chances, and I'd still think it's premature to worry because he's not even 20 yet and he's going to have his struggles. I suspect he's going to come good, and I hope his off-the-field antics are just overblown by the press because if I keep hearing negative stories coming out about him, then I'd think it's legitimate to worry, regardless of whether he bangs them in or not (pun intended).

Strelok

I don't think you can confidently say what is or isn't unusual for a player that's got less than 100 professional games in his entire career, but maybe it's not normal to you because the sample size was too small and had great results, unsustainable ones I might add. This is why overhyping young players has that backlash effect and it's reflected in the press and how the player is covered, I hope Mason at least doesn't buy into his own hype and gets down for missing chances that everybody misses every now and then. You make it seem like there's something not right when it's just a normal phase of any player, even brilliant goal scorers. He's not always going to score these chances, he might miss even easier ones down the line, but overall he will start contributing again and get in a groove. I think Greenwood could have an entire season where he's missing those chances, and I'd still think it's premature to worry because he's not even 20 yet and he's going to have his struggles. I suspect he's going to come good, and I hope his off-the-field antics are just overblown by the press because if I keep hearing negative stories coming out about him, then I'd think it's legitimate to worry, regardless of whether he bangs them in or not (pun intended).
No it's not over hype, I'm against that too. But truth is Greenwood has some phenomenal natural talent. He's probably one of the best natural finishers I've seen. He basically never miss the goal regardless of how difficult the chance. That's why I rate his talent that high. We all witnessed that I think. He did that for like a year. It's not like it was a purple period or form but it's his true ability. Like when you saw Scholes messed up one of his long pass and you'd think wow.

If you read my post here I don't expect him to shine now at all. He's only 19 and will need time to mature, both physically and mentally. And get more experience. If he doesn't get in position to score, fine. If he gets out muscled, fine. If he makes a wrong decision, fine. If he doesn't score, fine. But it's just very unusual for him to finish like that.

I've no idea about his off field activities, and I don't buy anything those lying bullying press say but if this continues, I don't know what's wrong but I'll start worry.

There's a theory may explain this. When a young player develops physically in some case it's too fast in a short period and his brain would need time to 'adapt' to his new body. I was a late bloomer and by 17-18 yo I think I suddenly grew like 5' in a summer. I was playing football a lot back then and it did took a while for me to get used to my 'new' body.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Uncharacteristic lack of composure in front of goal but if this is 'poor', that just speaks volumes about his talent.

Worried but not worried.
Agreed. Some poor finishing and poor decisions from him, but priority #1 is really getting at the end of scoring opportunities so even though he was wasteful he was still very much in the game

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No the first one was a very easy chance. The keeper was not even in the goal. He should have stopped knowing there was a defender sliding to block the ball, then simply passed the ball in with his right. Rashford usually does it.

But my biggest problem is he missed the goal with his shot, that was very unusual for him. And the second one he hit it right at the keeper, that's also very unusual of him.
First attempt wasn't that bad, a little unlucky as he was running from a tight angle. The second chance however was pretty poor finishing, I was surprised at Mason for that finish, I expected him to place it in the corner but he pelted it in the middle instead. Bit disappointing, but at least he was a danger, he was unfortunate to be brought off but the right choice. Important he's back in the first team though and he'll get lots of minutes in the coming 2 months.
I don't think it's unusual for him at all. He usually goes for power. He should have passed, or try accurate shot.
I'm not so worried about him, he got little playing time and we're only finding our feet.

One thing I thought when the lineup was available, that it's a mistake to start Greenwood. He is more useful against tired defenses.

Strelok

I don't think it's unusual for him at all. He usually goes for power. He should have passed, or try accurate shot.
I'm not so worried about him, he got little playing time and we're only finding our feet.

One thing I thought when the lineup was available, that it's a mistake to start Greenwood. He is more useful against tired defenses.
What's special about this lad is he could go for both power and accuracy at the same time, from basically any angle and any feet. Like an aimbot. He got one of the best hip I've seen. While most strikers usually go for one of them. Watch his goals and you'd see. He basically always put the ball where he wants it to be, power or not. That's why I said I haven't seen a better natural talent since Messi. This ability put him above the rest of the 'normal' strikers.

I understand most here want to go easy on him. But that also says most don't understand how special he is.

Anyway, it's just one match. He'll come back to his normal self I hope.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What's special about this lad is he could go for both power and accuracy at the same time, from basically any angle and any feet. Like an aimbot. He got one of the best hip I've seen. While most strikers usually go for one of them. Watch his goals and you'd see. He basically always put the ball where he wants it to be, power or not. That's why I said I haven't seen a better natural talent since Messi. This ability put him above the rest of the 'normal' strikers.

I understand most here want to go easy on him. But that also says most don't understand how special he is.

Anyway, it's just one match. He'll come back to his normal self I hope.
But he doesn't need to go for both all the time, yesterday he should just try to put it past the keeper. It's not easy obviously but it's also a matter of confidence. But like I said, not worried at all.

Strelok

But he doesn't need to go for both all the time, yesterday he should just try to put it past the keeper. It's not easy obviously but it's also a matter of confidence. But like I said, not worried at all.
I guess you were talking about the second chance. Well if he goes for an accurate aim for the two far post but weak, slow shot from the edge of the box, big chance the keeper could push it away. He'd have enough time to react. If you want to score from that position you'd have to go with power. Imo he got the right decision there, but the accuracy is what I'm worry about.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Out of all the strikers at United, I am most confident about him,
Yep, he’s very naturally gifted and I’m not too worried about him. Obviously been through a tricky time on and off the pitch.

Head down, work hard, put a bit of meat on his bones and I’m confident he’ll be fantastic in a couple of years.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
What brings you to that conclusion?
I just don’t think Greenwood has played in any of our strongest lineups this season. He’s more often than not played in a two with Rashford which must be hard work as Rashford is largely inconsistent and can’t hold up the ball. He would do a hell of a lot better alongside Martial and Cavani as they both hold the ball up and bring others into play. Greenwood currently struggles to hold the ball up but he carries an unbelievable threat so it’s better to cover his weaknesses by playing him in a front three.

Volumiza

I just don’t think Greenwood has played in any of our strongest lineups this season. He’s more often than not played in a two with Rashford which must be hard work as Rashford is largely inconsistent and can’t hold up the ball. He would do a hell of a lot better alongside Martial and Cavani as they both hold the ball up and bring others into play. Greenwood currently struggles to hold the ball up but he carries an unbelievable threat so it’s better to cover his weaknesses by playing him in a front three.
But I don’t think that’s us hanging him out to dry mate, I genuinely think there’s been stuff going on in his personal life that’s maybe affecting him. If anything I’m probably more of the opinion that Ole has been protecting him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
But I don’t think that’s us hanging him out to dry mate, I genuinely think there’s been stuff going on in his personal life that’s maybe affecting him. If anything I’m probably more of the opinion that Ole has been protecting him.
Yeh I don’t disagree Ole has definitely been protecting him this season. I just think it would help him more to get in the pitch alongside our best players as that always makes life easier.

Volumiza

Yeh I don’t disagree Ole has definitely been protecting him this season. I just think it would help him more to get in the pitch alongside our best players as that always makes life easier.
That time is coming. I don’t see anyone in our squad better equipped to play the right forward position. I wouldn’t worry about Mason getting game time.

Icemav

Is this going to be like Cristiano Ronaldo again with fans criticising his consistency and productivity as a teenager?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No it's not over hype, I'm against that too. But truth is Greenwood has some phenomenal natural talent. He's probably one of the best natural finishers I've seen. He basically never miss the goal regardless of how difficult the chance. That's why I rate his talent that high. We all witnessed that I think. He did that for like a year. It's not like it was a purple period or form but it's his true ability. Like when you saw Scholes messed up one of his long pass and you'd think wow.

If you read my post here I don't expect him to shine now at all. He's only 19 and will need time to mature, both physically and mentally. And get more experience. If he doesn't get in position to score, fine. If he gets out muscled, fine. If he makes a wrong decision, fine. If he doesn't score, fine. But it's just very unusual for him to finish like that.

I've no idea about his off field activities, and I don't buy anything those lying bullying press say but if this continues, I don't know what's wrong but I'll start worry.

There's a theory may explain this. When a young player develops physically in some case it's too fast in a short period and his brain would need time to 'adapt' to his new body. I was a late bloomer and by 17-18 yo I think I suddenly grew like 5' in a summer. I was playing football a lot back then and it did took a while for me to get used to my 'new' body.
Well, your last theory is valid but I don't think it applies to Greenwood, he's bulked up a bit but that's not going to affect him in those moments of truth with the goal within reach. I just think you're overthinking a simple lapse of concentration, which is very common with players his age, especially with the media attention turning negative recently whether fair or not, he still has to deal with it but it can have an effect as well. And I do think he had a purple period of form, because his finishing was above that of world-class finishers, so it's fair to say I'm not convinced that was his base level just yet and he's currently playing below that, it's just the ups and down of a young career. It's extremely rare that teenagers can be consistent from the get-go. Look at Martial, at 19 he looked like a future ballon d'or winner and for me his first season was as impressive as anything I've seen from Greenwood, and yet the same questions linger. He had a great last season, but that's only his second season you could consider that he's living up to his potential in his career so far. Now, I don't think Greenwood will go through that, I tend to agree that he has everything to succeed here, but it's just too soon to have a definitive idea on what his base level is and whether there's something off or just a young man going through growing stages both on the field and in a public life since it's all connected in the performances for most people.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Going through a massive dip in form and shows why we need to be patient with young players instead of hyping them to the moon.
Exactly right.
Having burst on the scene, I guess it is to be expected that his form would be erratic due to his age.
But what does concern me is that he seems to make very little impact on the game.
For him to fulfill his huge potential, his workrate has to be significantly higher. Such is the role of a modern striker, he needs to do more than just get in to a goalscoring position.
But I am confident that he will improve markedly.

Gandalf

Exactly right.
Having burst on the scene, I guess it is to be expected that his form would be erratic due to his age.
But what does concern me is that he seems to make very little impact on the game.
For him to fulfill his huge potential, his workrate has to be significantly higher. Such is the role of a modern striker, he needs to do more than just get in to a goalscoring position.
But I am confident that he will improve markedly.
Confidence obviously an issue here and he needs protecting but I also think the system does not suit him either. I feel Greenwood is ultimately going to be a true number 9 which is more than can be said for Martial and Rashford who actually throve out wide. Mason needs to be played up top but is not ready to take the responsibility yet, his wide play is poor and does not play to his strengths. Cavani could be a godsend for him as he may get a couple of years of being allowed to be a super sub/understudy to a true great and he will see first hand how a true goalscorer trains and prepares.

Status
Not open for further replies.