Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

I think it'll take him a long while to get going. I think that factor was underestimated by many on here to begin with.

He was nowhere near the finished product. In fact he was quite repetitive with the way he would always cut in and look for the quick shot. He'd have a lot of work to do to become a 9 anyway.

Talented but he's lost crucial development time and will be rusty on top of that.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don’t get why we’re all bothered about how well he does. It’s clear he’ll never play for us again unless something drastically changes.

RedStarUnited

I think it'll take him a long while to get going. I think that factor was underestimated by many on here to begin with.

He was nowhere near the finished product. In fact he was quite repetitive with the way he would always cut in and look for the quick shot. He'd have a lot of work to do to become a 9 anyway.

Talented but he's lost crucial development time and will be rusty on top of that.
The bit in bold is just not true at all all. One of his biggest strengths is his ability to go either way and shoot on either foot. So I dont know why you are saying this.

Abraxas

The bit in bold is just not true at all all. One of his biggest strengths is his ability to go either way and shoot on either foot. So I dont know why you are saying this.
That's one aspect of football for a forward, especially given many expected him to be a 9 eventually, which personally I'm not sure about. Much of his game was about creating a half yard and shooting early. It was a great ability to have. And yes I didn't mean to imply he did it off one foot like Antony, only that he was always looking to get within the box and find a feint or shimmy to get an early shot off.

But ultimately if was going to become a rounded forward there was loads and loads he needed to polish up to add more dimensions to his game and obviously this break in development will not have been ideal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don’t get why we’re all bothered about how well he does. It’s clear he’ll never play for us again unless something drastically changes.
His contract goes til 2025 doesn't it? A lot can happen in a year.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I’m curious - how do my fellow cafe racers feel - do you want Mason to do well at Getafe, or not?
Yes. It is in United's interest that he performs well in order to maximize the transfer fee we can get for him.

dubplate warrior

Overwhelming sense of sadness seeing him that shirt. Followed him in the youth days, and was so sure he would go on to be one of the best players to ever put on the shirt.

whitbyviking

If he does well could Real be in for him in January? They literally have no forwards and if he gets 10 goals between now and Christmas he could be a cheap option for them.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Like the entire ownership of the club you mean..?

DJ_21

His contract goes til 2025 doesn't it? A lot can happen in a year.
Imagine if we take him back though..: the only reason he isn’t back with us right now is because of the backlash from most of ours fans. They went with the majority.

DJ_21

Like the entire ownership of the club you mean..?
Ye maybe that would make us keep him but remember it wasn’t the club that didn’t want him, it was the majority of the fans which I guarantee will change there mind halve way through this season if he starts banging them in. The club was willing to bring him back… the fans didn’t want him back.

DJ_21

If he does well could Real be in for him in January? They literally have no forwards and if he gets 10 goals between now and Christmas he could be a cheap option for them.
Good shout. I think once he settles in Spain and other clubs see how the Spanish fans are with him then it could be his permanent home, maybe at a bigger Spanish club.

Acquire Me

Imagine if we take him back though..: the only reason he isn’t back with us right now is because of the backlash from most of ours fans. They went with the majority.
I am not sure most fans. Most vocal fans for sure.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I'd be hoping he doesn't make much of an impact and slips a tier or two lower.

Baxquux

Maybe- they've got a much more efficient PR arm than United, for one thing. People can believe different things about the club's decision overall or around judging MG for allegations vs confirmed facts (personally, I think there's enough actually on the record around training ground conduct and documented verbal abuse that he has to make amends for, without having to go to dropped criminal charges and disputed evidence...and which isn't the same as stopping him playing for the club ever again).

What's fairly clear, however, is that the PR side of things hasn't been handled well - there might be good or bad reasons why the 'new' evidence hasn't been made public, but the club and his reps still needed to provide more clarity than they have in order to potentially strengthen the case, as well as controlling the narrative; Athletic were disingenuous in reporting the 'hostile' phrasing in documents, which is standard PR speak, and presenting select employees ( outside of those privy to facts) as representing general club sentiment...but United also mismanaged the womens team issue badly, as well as their internal comms.

Even if relations push meant an uncomfortable joint public interview with him and his partner providing all the facts they can and pushing back against people "speaking'' for his partner as well as some concrete financial gesture on his part supporting a sexual-violence/DA charity and mention of seeking therapy for his temper (relating to the earlier, non-criminal related incidents) , then so be it. Alongside that, a club like Madrid would also likely be strongly encouraging MG and his partner (plus child) to agree to the full 'happy together' picture spread. Madrid fans were Ok in whitewashing Benzama 's blackmail conviction and 'dubious' (read, underaged under French law) sexual practices, so, cynical as it sounds, i don't think we'd see the same level of pushback as amongst the MU Western fanbase, even factoring in Benzama's higher existing status as a player.

The only real wrinkle is how the fallout from the Spanish football president's actions manifests itself and if this leads to clubs being much more cautious in presenting themselves as against any kind of suspected sexual assault, even when the case was dismissed.

macheda14

Why do people come up with such weird hypotheticals.

jesperjaap

Agree very much with the last sentence, the second sentence is absolute nonsense though

jesperjaap

It doesnt matter what side of the fence you sit on regarding the whole situation and who knows if mentally or opportunity wise he can rebuild his career.....footballing wise it is pretty sad to see him in that video in a Getafe shirt.

Whether or not he would have progressed as is breakthrough suggested, little doubt ability wise he had it all to become a world class footballer. Different off field problems, but Ravel Morrison and Greenwood so far are two hugely wasted talents, both had the ability to be greats here and for England. When you look at Bellingham....Morrison was more talented and now you look at all the talented England youngsters like Saka for example, I feel only Phil Foden has the same potential ability.

Mainoldo

It doesnt matter what side of the fence you sit on regarding the whole situation and who knows if mentally or opportunity wise he can rebuild his career.....footballing wise it is pretty sad to see him in that video in a Getafe shirt.

Whether or not he would have progressed as is breakthrough suggested, little doubt ability wise he had it all to become a world class footballer. Different off field problems, but Ravel Morrison and Greenwood so far are two hugely wasted talents, both had the ability to be greats here and for England. When you look at Bellingham....Morrison was more talented and now you look at all the talented England youngsters like Saka for example, I feel only Phil Foden has the same potential ability.
Foden is hype.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Which was the right thing to do in my opinion.

Without getting into the subject of the other thread, I believe in second chances (not 3rd, 4th and 5th) and, unsavoury as the audio was, if his partner has pardoned him/moved on I can't see why I/we shouldn't give him one with far less to go on.

I absolutely 100% didn't want our season fecked over by the backlash though. Nothing good would come from that for any party. United is not the place for him to get back to fitness, form and keep his head screwed on tight. Twelve months from now he may well have built a stronger case to return.

TheReligion

Abusive

I think people understandably have a skewed memory on Greenwood. He was arguably the second best youth forward in the world (Haaland being ahead of him) and was set for huge things.

By the age of 20 he had 35 senior goals and 12 assists. That includes 22 in the Premier League and several in the Champions League and other cup competitions.

When you consider Cole Palmer of the same age has just moved to Chelsea for £45m and he’s yet to even register a goal in the PL yet and has played only 300 minutes of PL football you’d imagine Greenwood would be a £80-100m player at this point.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He will be back before you know it. Right or wrong, people forget and the press move on. This week it will be Antony and all the floodgates, womans rights, countdown maths lady, experts etc will all be calling for his head, and rightfully so if he is found guilty.

MG will be back at OT I am sure of it.
If you look at the furore surrounding Ched Evans, and the length of time it lasted, it can last a lot longer than you might think. Obviously not an identical scenario, I’m not sure there is one.

But as I said a while ago, if you were Arnold or Murtaugh, would you really risk opening up this old wound in 9 months time? I’d imagine they’ve both been quite stung by the backlash and criticism aimed their way. It would probably be career ending for them if they misjudged the situation, tried to bring him back, and then the press, local MPs, supporters groups all responded as they did last month, and forced another U-turn. It’s a massive risk for senior management to take, and I don’t think they’d do it.
As someone pointed out though, if Utd have new owners and new senior management in place in June, that might give them the clean break from the past that could allow them to do it.

My guess is that he’s not going to set the world alight at Getafe in any case. 20 months of not playing competitively and perhaps more importantly 17 or 18 months of not really training with professional players or coaches at all, combined with the fact that he’s virtually never been a 90 minute player anyway, will make it very difficult for him to have a big impact this season.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Obviously I’ll now put this thread on ignore. But do we really need a thread on this guy?

Huge oddity from site management. The moment he scores a few, this thread will be toxic, and bleed into everything else.

That’s all I’ve got. Last post probably.

TheReligion

Abusive
Obviously I’ll now put this thread on ignore. But do we really need a thread on this guy?

Huge oddity from site management. The moment he scores a few, this thread will be toxic, and bleed into everything else.

That’s all I’ve got. Last post probably.
I understand the sentiment but he’s still a United player on loan so also get why some will want to keep an eye on what he’s doing.

RedStarUnited

Getafe dont care about anything do they? Ive just seen their twitter posts. Lots of love for Mason.

SambaBoy

I agree that his time out could be a big factor.

Normally when youngsters lose out on that development phase, they don't reach the heights expected during the earlier time. However this is normally because of injury which Greenwood hasn't had.

In respect to the bolded, it was clear that he was improving every week and his dribbling and link up play was coming to the fore rather than just his ability to finish on either foot. He was capable of going either side of a defender and beating them.

He played as a no9 v Leeds when we won 4-0 and he ran them ragged. Be interesting to see how he does at Getafe.

Betson

I hope it goes well for him and he can get his life back on track and shows that he really has changed as a person.

You keep keep punishing someone for forever.

I reckon it will take a while for him to get back up to pace , he has been out of the game a very long time.

Melvin_

Supports
United
I'm new so I can't post media but the Getafe twitter is having the time of their life.. @GetafeCFen

flappyjay

No fecks given by Getafe. He is an environment where he is wanted by club and fans. He has to mentally prepare himself for the away fixtures.

jesperjaap

I think people understandably have a skewed memory on Greenwood. He was arguably the second best youth forward in the world (Haaland being ahead of him) and was set for huge things.

By the age of 20 he had 35 senior goals and 12 assists. That includes 22 in the Premier League and several in the Champions League and other cup competitions.

When you consider Cole Palmer of the same age has just moved to Chelsea for £45m and he’s yet to even register a goal in the PL yet and has played only 300 minutes of PL football you’d imagine Greenwood would be a £80-100m player at this point.
Very much so. I recently (and it was painful) watched a youtube video of him and reinforced just how good he was potentially. I think only Foden had qualities as special as him, was ahead of Saka and think he was valued at £100m.

The shame for me I wonder if we will ever see is I saw so much in his body movement reminded me of both Van Persie and Rivaldo that I really think his future was in the middle. Genuinely think he could have got to there levels in peaks, he was that special and not sure that ever happens now, which footballing wise even as a neutral forget for us or England which may never happen, is a shame as those two were both just joyous to watch in there peaks

jesperjaap

Foden is hype.
Totally disagree. The problem with Foden for me is the players like DeBruyne playing in his best position. Think though hardly unsuccessful he is to a degree wasted at City as he should be one of the best number 10s in the world by now. He played there for one of the very few times a week or so ago and was the best player on the pitch by a mile, wasted out wide.

I think his first touch is one of the best I have seen, absolutely stellar in that regard. Also has good movement, awareness, vision. Really hope he gets a good run of games in that position with the DeBruyne injury and hope he isnt moved out wide again with Nunes put in there....not for the premiership, but for England as he just has to play there for his country over the likes of Mount and Maddison who are all good players for that role, but Foden there is just a different level and we are just not seeing it sadly

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Stupid international break. Want to see him play and see where he's at. He could've been something truly great by now.
No way. Did you see the leaked video of him training? He is a long way off.

He will need another 2-3months to get any match fitness and sharpness back.

Status
Not open for further replies.