Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

The club really doesn't want to get rid, Arnold will go begging to Rachel Riley on his knees for her approval.
If he hits the goal trail from the off, he'll have a lot more interest in him. Pretty smart by the club to be able to recall him and sell him or loan him on better terms.

RedRoach

I live in Spain nobody here knows enough or cares enough about the case for there to be any awareness.

Also Getafe are not a team that are featured in the media / papers much which are Madrid / Barca dominated.

Other teams are also making morally questionable signings such as Real Sociedad signing a Russian player from a Russian club on the middle of economic sanctions and nobody is blinking an eye lid.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I live in Spain nobody here knows enough or cares enough about the case for there to be any awareness.

Also Getafe are not a team that are featured in the media / papers much which are Madrid / Barca dominated.

Other teams are also making morally questionable signings such as Real Sociedad signing a Russian player from a Russian club on the middle of economic sanctions and nobody is blinking an eye lid.
Probably a good move for him then.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
One of the worse things is he’ll be like an 100m player now. If palmer from city went for 45 then surely greenwood’s close to 100. The guys lethal in front of goal aswell.
I reckon he was already a 100M player back then (60% performance, 40% potential trajectory). People had been throwing around crazy Sancho numbers, celebrated how Covid had made him cheaper at 70M, and yet I always felt Mason was worth more.

The unfortunate part is he may well have been 150M+ by now. Never mind the asset value, we could have used his goals instead of watching Wout Weghorst playing false striker.

foolsgold

Only had 2 short sub appearances so not worth overanalysing

But ...

His game seems unchanged, in general looks sharper than I expected, close control seemed a bit off but definitely dangerous cutting on from the right. There's a lot to be encouraged about in that performance. He's going to score goals in Spain.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Will be interesting to see how his conditioning improves. He doesn't press or track back, yet still seems pretty gassed when I've watched him.

Oranges038

His game seems unchanged, in general looks sharper than I expected, close control seemed a bit off but definitely dangerous cutting on from the right. There's a lot to be encouraged about in that performance. He's going to score goals in Spain.
He wasn't injured so his movement, mobility and sharpness should all still be there if he was keeping himself fit. Overtime it's going to be things like getting match fit to restore his match sharpness, close control, getting used to physical battles, decision making etc that will take more time to recover.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
How has be performed for Getafe so far?
I think its as good as one can expect for someone who has been out of the game for 18 months. He is trying or has been instructed to keep his game simple till he regains match fitness/sharpness. He's getting like 20mins in his first two appearances.

If he gets up to speed he will be by far the best player at the club which will help him enjoy the game again. The question is whether Getafe can provide him the service or will they be able to extract the most out of his current abilities.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Will be interesting to see how his conditioning improves. He doesn't press or track back, yet still seems pretty gassed when I've watched him.
He needs to add more bulk back onto his frame too. Looks way too thin.

I suspect it will be like November or December before Getafe gets to see the United Greenwood.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He needs to add more bulk back onto his frame too. Looks way too thin.

I suspect it will be like November or December before Getafe gets to see the United Greenwood.
Yeah he has lost a lot of muscle mass.

Agreed, will be a while. They will definitely get flashes of him from the bench though, he's definitely not lost the talent.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think his biggest challenge apart from fitness/sharpness is that Getafe are actually pretty crap. I just can’t see then giving him the volume of chances needed to score loads of goals. That being said, Utd were also poor at that and he still managed to create chances for himself so maybe I’m underestimating him once he gets going.

Kostov

I think his biggest challenge apart from fitness/sharpness is that Getafe are actually pretty crap. I just can’t see then giving him the volume of chances needed to score loads of goals. That being said, Utd were also poor at that and he still managed to create chances for himself so maybe I’m underestimating him once he gets going.
I get your point, but Greenwood has genuine world class talent and if he stays fit and playing, he will shine through and could lift Getafe up the table by himself.

cafecillos

I saw the supposed "highlight" from the Real Sociedad game and it was a bit ridiculous, tbf. A headless run where he couldn't clearly beat his man and a final hopeless and sloppy touch to lose the ball completely. He's understandably rusty, and he very well may actually end up tearing the league up, but so far he's been a non-event on the pitch, I don't get the need to overhype him. It's too early and he has done absolutely nothing so far, there's not much more to it.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fair point.
That’s why I never got the notion that he would be any use to us this season. When he was playing for us I don’t think he once lasted 90 minutes. Every single game he played he was dead on his feet by 60 minutes. And this wasn’t a player who was running 12km/game. His defensive effort was no better than serial defensive slackers like Martial and Rashford.

If someone can’t put the effort in to have a decent cardio while working as a full time professional footballer, they’re going to be in absolutely woeful shape after 18 months out of the game. You can visibly see how little training he’s been doing with all the muscle mass he’s lost. He’s obviously one of those people who loses, rather than gains, weight when they stop training. He currently looks like someone who hasn’t set foot inside a gym for a very long time. Sound as though he’s playing that way too.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I saw the supposed "highlight" from the Real Sociedad game and it was a bit ridiculous, tbf. A headless run where he couldn't clearly beat his man and a final hopeless and sloppy touch to lose the ball completely. He's understandably rusty, and he very well may actually end up tearing the league up, but so far he's been a non-event on the pitch, I don't get the need to overhype him. It's too early and he has done absolutely nothing so far, there's not much more to it.
He's there to give the squad more quality due to Unal injury, but bare in mind that Mayoral is a good overall forward and Latasa is also a young raw talent. He will need to give 100% on the training.

Em765

Pretty sure he will need the whole season to really click again.
Then next season probably at Getafe again you will see him at his full potential.

Baxquux

A bit hyperbolic. He had 25 mins, no real service but was making runs behind and into pockets, showed some good touches and had a couple of shots on target, whilst the final action where he over-ran it was after he'd already beaten defenders twice with his run. Obviously some rustiness but he already looks more dangerous at the ball with his feet than Antony.. I know Antony does other stuff (a kind of Brazilian version of the Dirk Kuyt defensive forward thing, but with extra top right hand corner attempts..) but no need to turn that into unfair assessment of a player coming back after +18 months out

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A bit hyperbolic. He had 25 mins, no real service but was making runs behind and into pockets, showed some good touches and had a couple of shots on target, whilst the final action where he over-ran it was after he'd already beaten defenders twice with his run. Obviously some rustiness but he already looks more dangerous at the ball with his feet than Antony.. I know Antony does other stuff (a kind of Brazilian version of the Dirk Kuyt defensive forward thing, but with extra top right hand corner attempts..) but no need to turn that into unfair assessment of a player coming back after +18 months out
I watched the 2nd half (he came on in the 68th). Although limited, most of his touches were positive and productive in some way. The run down the wing, the final shot near FT. All positives that will build his confidence for the next match.

Getafe have 2 games this week in a 3 day period (Bilbao and Villareal). Bilbao are 4th in the table, so I'm sure he will get more minutes between both fixtures.

Last edited:

Redivy

Nonsense. He hasn’t been a non event. In his first game he was the best attacking player after he was subbed on, and in this second cameo he just didn’t get a chance to show anything with his team on the constant back foot but he still was trying to get into the positions to receive the ball.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That’s why I never got the notion that he would be any use to us this season. When he was playing for us I don’t think he once lasted 90 minutes. Every single game he played he was dead on his feet by 60 minutes. And this wasn’t a player who was running 12km/game. His defensive effort was no better than serial defensive slackers like Martial and Rashford.

If someone can’t put the effort in to have a decent cardio while working as a full time professional footballer, they’re going to be in absolutely woeful shape after 18 months out of the game. You can visibly see how little training he’s been doing with all the muscle mass he’s lost. He’s obviously one of those people who loses, rather than gains, weight when they stop training. He currently looks like someone who hasn’t set foot inside a gym for a very long time. Sound as though he’s playing that way too.
I never thought he'd be any use for us this season either, but after watching him again, it reminded me of how little defensive effort he puts in. Especially when we've been watching Antony for a season.

I think he was always someone who probably didn't need the gym if he was playing regularly. The hope would have been he'd have filled out naturally as he grew older, but the break in training at a pivotal point in his development will have had a lot of impact. I think he has looked very bright when I've watched him though, just it's so apparent he's an absolute mile away from starting a game, let alone playing as our RW in our system. The stick Rashford gets for not pressing would be pathetic in comparison if he was here.

cafecillos

I suppose we all see what we want to see. "The best attacking player", well he came in at nearly the 80th minute against Osasuna, but alright I guess, I'll take your word for it. "He was making runs", mmmkay, the praise is getting milder here but all right. "He was trying to get into positions to receive the ball", what does that even mean, seriously, it sounds like the absolute bare minimum in an U12 team. The excuses are also starting to pop up: "he's not getting any service", "the team was on the back foot"... Dunno, I happen to follow both Real Sociedad (my dad's team) and Osasuna (I lived in Pamplona for a couple of years a few years ago) and watched both matches, and all the caveats mentioned, which I mentioned too, where rather noticeable, and that's exactly my point. I've seen nothing whatsoever in those roughly 60 minutes of action to make me think he's going to be special, he looked exactly like a fairly pacy youngster who is very rusty after a very long absence. Maybe I'm just self-suggested, what do I know. I'm not going to have the chance to watch many more of his matches though so I'll most likely miss out on his improvement.

flameinthesun

I suppose we all see what we want to see. "The best attacking player", well he came in at nearly the 80th minute against Osasuna, but alright I guess, I'll take your word for it. "He was making runs", mmmkay, the praise is getting milder here but all right. "He was trying to get into positions to receive the ball", what does that even mean, seriously, it sounds like the absolute bare minimum in an U12 team. The excuses are also starting to pop up: "he's not getting any service", "the team was on the back foot"... Dunno, I happen to follow both Real Sociedad (my dad's team) and Osasuna (I lived in Pamplona for a couple of years a few years ago) and watched both matches, and all the caveats mentioned, which I mentioned too, where rather noticeable, and that's exactly my point. I've seen nothing whatsoever in those roughly 60 minutes of action to make me think he's going to be special, he looked exactly like a fairly pacy youngster who is very rusty after a very long absence. Maybe I'm just self-suggested, what do I know. I'm not going to have the chance to watch many more of his matches though so I'll most likely miss out on his improvement.
.....he's played pretty much 1 half of football over 2 games.....after not playing for 2 years....

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Spot on. There are some who thought he’d waltz back into our team, they need to give their heads a wobble to wake up from whatever dreamland they’re in

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We can only evaluate him once he gets his match sharpness back. If that will be on the same level as before, well let's see

simmee

I never thought he'd be any use for us this season either, but after watching him again, it reminded me of how little defensive effort he puts in. Especially when we've been watching Antony for a season.

I think he was always someone who probably didn't need the gym if he was playing regularly. The hope would have been he'd have filled out naturally as he grew older, but the break in training at a pivotal point in his development will have had a lot of impact. I think he has looked very bright when I've watched him though, just it's so apparent he's an absolute mile away from starting a game, let alone playing as our RW in our system. The stick Rashford gets for not pressing would be pathetic in comparison if he was here.
He has looked incredibly lazy in his games for Getafe. I would've expected him to, of course, be rusty but to play like someone with a point to prove. Not seeing that kind of effort at all so far but of course the talent is still there to build a highlight reel that will fool some people.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

10 out of 11 in my Getafe lineup prediction league.

Up against Ander Herrera today.

Status
Not open for further replies.