Mason Greenwood - Football Discussion Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
What other purpose would a loan serve? He's still going to be worth the same next summer as the same questions will still hang over him as this summer. Yes he might be more match fit but the things off field may crop back up.
His current value is virtually zero because he hasn't played for so long and no one knows how he will handle the obvious mental issues, if he has a successful loan, proves he can still play at a high level then he'll be worth serious money

ole@thewheel

I think it is clear that club value him, and will just not let him go. After all they kept him on the payroll for the last two years, even with a risk of public backlash.

It undisputed fact that he is the most exciting 'pure' product of our academy in the last 20 years or more. He is still only 21 year old, with over 100 games in the first team, and plays in a position that we dont have any players currently in our senior team.

Sorry, I dont see him going nowhere, but maybe on a short loan spell to regain his fitness.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
For the benefit of the data analytics intern United probably have monitoring this thread - I absolutely and unequivocally do not want this monster returning to the club.

He does not deserve to wear the Man Utd shirt.
I do not want him to come close to returning to this side.
He is not talented enough to justify the circus that would return with him.
It would be a slap in the face to the Ladies team to bring him back. More keywords for your TF-IDF. Negative. Bad. Prick. Bad sentiment. No. Not welcome. Sad day for club.
substandard poor inferior second-rate second-class unsatisfactory
inadequate unacceptable not up to scratch not up to par
deficient imperfect defective
faulty shoddy amateurish careless negligent negligence negligent dreadful awful terrible abominable frightful atrocious disgraceful deplorable Bad at football
Wouldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo Not worth hassle

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Mason Green Wood he is a good football man.

Does anyone like how Mason Green Wood plays football?

I love it when Mason Green Wood kicks the ball very hard.

What football boots does Mason wear.

I hope Mason does a funny goal celebration when he kicks the football in the net:lol::keano::devil:

Go on Mason play the good football.

Can I buy a football shirt with his name on the back?

SecondFig

For the benefit of the data analytics intern United probably have monitoring this thread - I absolutely and unequivocally do not want this monster returning to the club.

It would be a slap in the face to the Ladies team to bring him back. More keywords for your TF-IDF. Negative. Bad. Prick. Bad sentiment. No. Not welcome. Sad day for club.
faulty shoddy amateurish careless negligent negligence negligent dreadful awful terrible abominable frightful atrocious disgraceful deplorable Bad at football
100% agree with every single word. Absolutely do not want him anywhere near the club

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

You wrote negligent twice

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Some people making out as if he has forgotten how to kick a ball since his exile.

Do they not remember Rio and Eric being away from game time for a sustained period of time?

United4Ever86

Should be sent out on loan outside UK. Assess his performance and then sell him at the end of the season. Should he turn out for United, there will be an immediate backlash from media, fans, sponsors and partners. Considering that ETH sneezing can be reported in media, imagine the media coverage and outrage should Greenwood return to the team. It will also cause disharmony in the dressing room. The players are professional but they still have families and while they may try to keep things professional, it will still be awkward for the first few months which will impact team dynamics. Consider the reaction from the Women's team which has just lost key players.

Seen a few posts mentioning Greenwood can simply return to fitness and his form in a short period of time by mentioning players returning from long-term injuries. The situations are completely different. While injured players are focused on rest, recovery and return to football, Greenwood may have spent the last several months fighting legal troubles. Whatever training he may have done won't have much impact. He is still only 21, so the last few months may have caused considerable mental trauma (don't mean to sound insensitive to the other party) and he may never get back the form and potential he showed before all this happened. Every performance and action of his will be scrutinized by everybody round the world and any bad performances or unusual off-field activities in the near future and everyone will be jumping on his back. This will not help his performances on the field.

All this means, it will not be a good idea for him to play for United even if he is a generational talent. Best for him to quietly return to football somewhere he isn't scrutinized much (outside UK).

Shez

Thought of seeing him play for us again makes me physically sick - just triggers ptsd of my own experiences.

will bring his own circus with him as well which would be a distraction on the field and cause squad disharmony

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah agree this is pretty much what I've been thinking.

We all forgot one very important thing. The Glazers.

Let's say if we loan him and sell him later for 50m. Great. But the Glazers probably won't be around here by then so that 50m has nothing to do with them. But the 60m Atalanta is asking for Hojlund now is their money. And like hell they would give a feck about our reputation, sponsorship etc. when they're about to sell the club.

Then we reportedly have around 100m to shop this summer. Mount and Onana in total cost around 100m already.
They are not putting their money in the club either way, and if we sell Greenwood the money will be in installations, so it won't affect the Glazers either way.

sepulturite

Thought of seeing him play for us again makes me physically sick - just triggers ptsd of my own experiences.

will bring his own circus with him as well which would be a distraction on the field and cause squad disharmony
Yep I'm with you with what you said in your first paragraph. As I've said before on here I've seen my sister go through a very similar situation years ago in a relationship she was in.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Mason Green Wood he is a good football man.

Does anyone like how Mason Green Wood plays football?

I love it when Mason Green Wood kicks the ball very hard.

What football boots does Mason wear.

I hope Mason does a funny goal celebration when he kicks the football in the net:lol::keano::devil:

Go on Mason play the good football.

Can I buy a football shirt with his name on the back?
Wood isn't always green. Even his name is not factual.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Your opinion on Greenwood wont get people to heaven & definitely wont make up for their own life mistakes...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Some people making out as if he has forgotten how to kick a ball since his exile.

Do they not remember Rio and Eric being away from game time for a sustained period of time?
It's not just game time. He hasn't even trained professionally for 18 months.

Devil You Know

He had a great touch in tight areas. And his shooting was ridiculously accurate with minimal backlift.

But I never really saw him display the spark of footballing genius that's a feature of the best of the best. Obviously, he was only young when he stopped playing. But there's no guarantee he was ever going to learn that. And now that he's been out of the game for two of the most crucial years for any player's development, it's less likely than ever that he will. In fact, it's almost certain that he's regressed during his time out. I'd be surprised if he was even at the level he got to during his breakout season.

I think he was a brilliant talent with an incredibly high ceiling. But that's all he ever was. He never actually proved himself to be even top 4 quality in the real world.

His league numbers were only:

AppsMinutesGoalsAssists
16(2)
1281​
5​
1​
21(10)
1826​
7​
2​
12(19)
1313​
10​
1​
1(2)
116​
0​
0​

For comparison, Sancho got this last season:

AppsMinutesGoalsAssists
21(5)
1699​
6​
3​

And here's Martial:

AppsMinutesGoalsAssists
11(10)
980​
6​
2​

They're not a millions miles off and plenty of us want to sell both of them.

Also, Garnacho has better output on a minute-by-minute basis than Greenwood ever managed:

AppsMinutesGoalsAssists
5(14)
563​
3​
2​

Even restricting this to a purely footballing perspective, I'm already over Greenwood.

bdecuc

Assessing Greenwood from his first team performances I'd say he was a very promising young player who would have a really good career and be a top half premier league player.

Assessing him from his performances in the academy I'd say he was a world class talent comparable to Pogba and Morrison. I expected him to settle in more to the first team as time went by and gradually improve and become pretty much the top strker in the league (pre Haaland). He really had all the tools to be something special.

Will he get back to that now? No one knows. Would I give him the opportunity to try at this club? Yes.

I believe we should always try and give people the benefit of the doubt. I think it's very easy to throw around harsh, self-righteous judgements on the internet. (Just like it's easy to say 'not my problem and we need him in the team so...'). But ultimately yes I'd give him a second chance just like I'd hope I'd be given one myself.

kaiser00

Whether loaned or not. He should be forgiven given his age at the time, he truly comes out and apologises or perhaps some sort of rehabilitation. If the case has been dropped and no charges then that has to be respected.

Devil You Know

He definitely won't play for United this season.

Given that this birthday is in October, he'll be almost 23 by the time there's any chance he'll come back to the club after his season on loan. Unless he's already top class by that stage, there won't even need to be a discussion.

I doubt he'll make the grade regardless. Again, I'm only talking about this from a footballing perspective. I'd pick his loan destination with the expectation it's to put him in the shop window, rather than to bring him back to match sharpness for Manchester United.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He had a great touch in tight areas. And his shooting was ridiculously accurate with minimal backlift.

But I never really saw him display the spark of footballing genius that's a feature of the best of the best. Obviously, he was only young when he stopped playing. But there's no guarantee he was ever going to learn that. And now that he's been out of the game for two of the most crucial years for any player's development, it's less likely than ever that he will. In fact, it's almost certain that he's regressed during his time out. I'd be surprised if he was even at the level he got to during his breakout season.

I think he was a brilliant talent with an incredibly high ceiling. But that's all he ever was. He never actually proved himself to be even top 4 quality in the real world.

His league numbers were only:

AppsMinutesGoalsAssists
16(2)
1281​
5​
1​
21(10)
1826​
7​
2​
12(19)
1313​
10​
1​
1(2)
116​
0​
0​

For comparison, Sancho got this last season:

AppsMinutesGoalsAssists
21(5)
1699​
6​
3​

And here's Martial:

AppsMinutesGoalsAssists
11(10)
980​
6​
2​

They're not a millions miles off and plenty of us want to sell both of them.

Also, Garnacho has better output on a minute-by-minute basis than Greenwood ever managed:

AppsMinutesGoalsAssists
5(14)
563​
3​
2​

Even restricting this to a purely footballing perspective, I'm already over Greenwood.
The brilliance of Greenwood was not stats - I was always surprised seeing him score more against the lower level teams etc. -

It was the balance that he gave to our right side of our attack.

Antony hasn’t provided it. Sancho hasn’t and Amad whilst being here has yet to break in to the first team.

It was great because it made our front 3 very deadly and unpredictable yet consistent.

Our best attack is season 2 Ole & it can return even with different tactics through the return of Greenwood.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Has any one got any good ideas for cheeky footballing chants for this guy? Ive had some thoughts:

Mason's coming over the hill
Playing football, playing football!
Kick that football!

And

Hey Mason you're so fine
Playing football all the time
Hey Mason, Hey Mason.

And

He's football crazy, he's football mad
Mason loves football almost as much as his dad.

I'm willing to collaborate with other fans of football via pm.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Hopefully he is allowed back, massive talent that would thrive under ETH.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Has any one got any good ideas for cheeky footballing chants for this guy? Ive had some thoughts:

Kick that football!

And

Hey Mason you're so fine
Hey Mason, Hey Mason.

And

:lol:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Kick that football!

And

Hey Mason you're so fine
Hey Mason, Hey Mason.

And

:lol:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It's not just game time. He hasn't even trained professionally for 18 months.
Yes that is a huge difference. I guess we have to wait and see but a loan would make sense. If we do not include him in our pre season training even that might be difficult

BarryWinks

Send him off to Turkey, have him play the season there then reassess. Much as some are desperate to integrate him into our squad for this season, I'd rather not have us deal with that distraction, especially since we don't even know his footballing'level' after all that time out.

The ideal scenario for me is that he goes on loan somewhere, does well enough that we get something decent for him next season - say £50 million - and close that chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.