g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Greenwood - Football Discussion Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thread Guidelines

Football talk only.

Talk related to the non-football related events surrounding the player remains prohibited until the club makes a decision on his future.

Violators of the football only guidelines are subject to immediate thread bans or more.

If you see anything out of order, please report it and the mods will take a look.

Please post responsibly.

Moiraine

How much time he would require to get back to full match fitness ?

romufc

He would definitely need a loan, Italy is a good place, away from the limelight, concentrate on football for a season.

He's missed 18 months of football, he will need about 2/3 months just to get fit, rather him go abroad and play regular football.

DevilRed

Other than the obvious issues with squad harmony, supporter perception etc.

Having him back could save us 50m-100m depending on which rumours you believe in.

Between him, Rashford and Martial, we might have enough goals to keep us in the top four even without purchasing anybody else.

OleGunnar20

Loan to Atalanta sounds like the best idea really, assuming Hojlund comes the other way.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Interesting to see how much 1.5 years off has impacted him. Turning 22 in a few months. I'm sure he lost a ton of muscle mass (you can train, but it's different from training with a professional football club). He used to have world class potential, what is he at now? Still young but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a huge impact from his time off.

NotQuiteManc

Talents aside, he needs to be loaned out to gauge his fitness and if he still has that form to be playing for United. Might be a long road ahead, but he is truly one of the massive talents to be coming out from United academy. Scoring in the EPL and CL is no easy feat, and he has done it before even getting into his peak.

Vidooq

I really hope he gets back to where he was before the complete ordeal. I just don't see it, as its too much of a break where he wasn't playing at top level, and I wonder how he will handle everything mentally. There will always be THAT question lurking around him.

bludsucker

We need to get this loan right for him. Ideally he should be up and running by Christmas if he regains his form and fitness. He can be a lethal goalscorer for us next season.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Don't see how nearly 2 years without football won't completely derail his ability, doubt we will see him ever come close to what saw us go for him unfortunately, he looked like he could go on to become WC but now I'd be surprised if he even makes it at PL level, all about mentality from here on out and how much he wants it

redcucumber

I'd loan him abroad for the first half of the season, see how he adapts and then assess in December. Either renew it, send him somewhere else or bring him back into the fold here.

RedDevil10

He should never kick a ball while wearing our shirt again. Loan, cancel contract or sell.

We had enough of a sideshow when Ronaldo returned, this will be worst and the club would only have themselves to blame in that instance.

redcucumber

Don't see how nearly 2 years without football won't completely derail his ability, doubt we will see him ever come close to what saw us go for him unfortunately, he looked like he could go on to become WC but now I'd be surprised if he even makes it at PL level, all about mentality from here on out and how much he wants it
Really? Luke Shaw missed over 50 games after his double leg break and has been alright since.

Santos J

Hopefully if the Atalanta rumours are true it's a permanent move. God knows what kind of fee it'd be in this situation.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Really? Luke Shaw missed over 50 games after his double leg break and has been alright since.
That's very true but I'd argue he had a lot more football under his belt by that time and seems to have a very strong mentality after overcoming his time with Jose too but time will tell, I'm excited to see if he can even if just from a football perspective it's quite a unique situation.

Oranges038

How much time he would require to get back to full match fitness ?
It's not like he's coming back off a long injury. Which plenty of players have done. Shaw came back from a horrible leg break at a similar age.

So it shouldn't take too long. You'd assume he's been doing some training, but it's almost impossible to replicate the speed of thought, movements and agility that comes from actually playing and training with a squad every day. Getting games will be key to his return to fitness and gauging whether or not he can still reach his potential.

mu4c_20le

Looks like he's kept in shape. Will take a few months to get back to fitness probably.

Red_Aaron

I'm not worried about his ability, he's a natural and would get up to speed fairly quickly I feel

A loan abroad would likely be best for all parties, allow him to focus on football and us to either generate interest in a sale or get the monumental pr effort into full swing

I think it's still unlikely he'll play for us long term, just don't see how it's worth all the hassle . But then stranger things have happened I suppose

Gandalf

If he is going to play it need to be a loan situation. Doubt there would be too many realistic takers for a permanent deal at this point as he is such an unknown quantity and so it is in everyones interests for him to go out and prove it somewhere. Roma makes a ton of sense, Tammy is out until Christmas and Bellotti flopped spectacularly. They don't have the cash for permanent signings and so would be desperate for a decent loan signing and there is already a relationship between Jose and Mason.

Woodzy

A loan to an EPL club would be nice but doubt it would happen. It would be good for assessing how he can handle the pressure of returning after all that has happened, how much he can actually return to the required level and most importantly to gauge the reactions of supporters across the country.

fezzerUTD

I’ve heard his time is up at Utd and they are trying to offload him the best way they can. He won’t play again for us 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.