Mason Greenwood - Football Discussion Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betson

Loaning him out to a European team this season seems like the most sensible option , we don't know how the long lay off will effect his performance and how long it will take him to get back to near where he was.

I think everyone deserve a 2nd chance if they are really committed to changing , but a year out of England playing but still out of the glare of the English media and crowds would be best for him.

TheRedHearted

How much time he would require to get back to full match fitness ?
This all depends on what his routine has been like, which I haven’t seen any concrete evidence on. Surely one would imagine he hired a personal coach this whole time he’s been off.

Ghostrider318

I has such high hopes from him and was sure that our ST position is sorted for years....

IMO I think well loan him out this season but wont renew his deal and will let him sort his career trajectory out

littlepeasoup

No player is good enough to justify the circus that will surround him playing for this club again. He could turn out to be the best striker the game has ever seen (he won’t) and it’d still not be worth it.

Let him rehabilitate his career at another club, because it’d genuinely sadden me to see kids wearing his name on the back of their United shirts at games.

BerryBerryShrew

Bar a huge loan fee or a marquee striker coming in, I'd keep him. We need all the goals we can get. If he flops then we release him. If he does great we can keep him or sell him for a good fee. That's the smart, rational way to handle this.
The rational thing to do is to weigh up the potential financial downsides of playing him (potential loss of sponsors or merchandise purchasing supporters) against the potential financial upsides of keeping him (a talent that could cost €100m on the open market to replace). Right now, the club has no idea what Greenwood is worth on the pitch. He has had an 18 month layoff and maybe he is a shadow of the promising player he once was. So the rational thing to do is to pack him off to Italy/Spain and see if he kills it there. If he does, then we either flog him for far far more than we'd get now, or we reintegrate him for the 24/25 season. If he looks mediocre, then we quietly release him and never have to deal with the potential negative repercussions of playing him.

Young talent is precarious. Dele Alli had it until one day he didn't. We can't be sure if Greeny is still worth persevering with - even in strictly footballing terms.

The moneymen are not going to want to take the chance that the club gets boycotted or dragged through the mud for the sake of a guy who is no longer ace.

Cloud7

Has there ever been a case where a player has been out of the game for so long and managed to come back into it?

mu4c_20le

No player is good enough to justify the circus that will surround him playing for this club again. He could turn out to be the best striker the game has ever seen (he won’t) and it’d still not be worth it.

Let him rehabilitate his career at another club, because it’d genuinely sadden me to see kids wearing his name on the back of their United shirts at games.
There won't be a circus imo. There wasn't one for Partey. The media will stay silent, social media will rumble for a few weeks and then move on.

Matt007a

If we are not going to sell him then he will definitely need a loan abroad until the heat dies down on him. He’s gonna need a full pre-season and at least 2-3 months on top to get true match fitness back in his legs. Do we know if he’s been practicing or keeping fit independently in the last year?

We can debate the morality of whether he should be here or not but in terms of ability I don’t see why he can’t get himself back into the squad after a year if he’s playing regularly. He will take a lot of stick from the fans but unfortunately he’s not the first footballer to be accused of this kind of crime and return. Others have done it and still been very successful.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Has there ever been a case where a player has been out of the game for so long and managed to come back into it?
I dont know but I guess it will be hard to come back from that. Unless he trained hard all the time and had a pro routine but he might be very rusty

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
There won't be a circus imo. There wasn't one for Partey. The media will stay silent, social media will rumble for a few weeks and then move on.
There's a world of difference between United and Arsenal coverage wise though, you may be right though, the Mendy saga doesn't seem to garner much coverage now

MDFC Manager

Looks to be in decent shape physically, and his talent was mostly innate. If he's mentally up for it, i can see him get bedded into the the team gradually.

RedC

Disgusting that he's playing today, club is in shambles.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United

Spot on

Also, thinking about some of the rumours, I don't see the point in a loan move. Surely this is just kicking the can further down the road. If United see him as a major issue now, they should sell.

If they think he can be rehabilitated etc, they should own it (including the PR circus that will follow) and announce their plans to keep him discussing ways to integrate back in to the side. I assume we're going to be paying most of his wages if he does move to Italy.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Players suffered from season long injuries all the time. And there were also players coming back from long term ban too (Maradona, Cantona, Rio etc)

Shark

@NotShark
I simply can't envision a situation where Greenwood ends up on the pitch for this club again. It would be the straw that breaks the camels back in officially confirming a classless and immoral path the club is going down. Surely ETH will look past the football perceptive and send him out on loan, or get rid as soon as possible.

manutddjw

I definitely want him back playing for us, but I think for our sake we should loan him to a Premiership or even Championship side. My rationale is two fold. 1. let him take his medicine in England and get it out of the way before he rejoins us and 2. A move abroad may not be the best place for someone so young. Different language and culture, it's easy for him to get homesick and I'm worried if he has a failed loan move abroad that would be the end for him.

Gandalf

Also bears noting that this conversation has been had on other football forums and reddit and Twitter without the world collapsing, and it makes no sense why the mods are treating this like a hot potato. But anyways, football talk only.
I am going to assume you missed the post from the mods yesterday where they stated the owner of this board has received Cease and Desist letters and understandably has no desire for any more. Niall owns the board and the consequences of "freedom of speech" actaully land on him so it actually makes a ton of sense why they are taking the stance that they are.

MDFC Manager

I definitely want him back playing for us, but I think for our sake we should loan him to a Premiership or even Championship side. My rationale is two fold. 1. let him take his medicine in England and get it out of the way before he rejoins us and 2. A move abroad may not be the best place for someone so young. Different language and culture, it's easy for him to get homesick and I'm worried if he has a failed loan move abroad that would be the end for him.
I personally think a domestic loan is out of the question. No one is going to take him i think.

L1nk

I personally think a domestic loan is out of the question. No one is going to take him i think.
He seems to have enquiries from reports though. I think more clubs will be willing to take him than you think

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Would love him to rejoin the squad in truth but don't think it's right for him with the abuse he will get, going out on loan and reassess in the summer seems the most sensible option for all parties including him

TsuWave

Is this recent ? He had much longer hair in the other recent private training pics.
pictures came out of him training a couple days after the one you’re referring to where his hair wast short again - he most likely got a haircut

Red_Manc_M15

He was born with that natural ability to stick the ball in the net. You never lose that. Me personally, I would have him back. Send him to Italy as part as the deal for the big fella then get him back after a year.

Telsim

Looked like a stick figure in the last pictures I saw and hasn't touched a ball in 2 years. Bet the circumstances will affect his focus, too. I don't think he will ever be the player he was. Best to loan him to Atalanta or another similar club and decide next summer.

suheilsworld

A loan to Atalanta with a team in Europa league would be a good one year to see where he’s at after his gap. Gives us time to evaluate his situation with regards to re-integration or to be sold

OverratedOpinion

Looked like a stick figure in the last pictures I saw and hasn't touched a ball in 2 years. Bet the circumstances will affect his focus, too. I don't think he will ever be the player he was. Best to loan him to Atalanta or another similar club and decide next summer.
Tbf I'd imagine outside of a kit he's always looked like a stick figure.

gajender

There's a world of difference between United and Arsenal coverage wise though, you may be right though, the Mendy saga doesn't seem to garner much coverage now
With case against Greenwood dropped what coverage media can conjure up , there would be uproar in Social Media for a while and at Stadiums but it would die down Quickly whether We like it or not it seems Club decision is leaning towards keeping him and sending him on loan to Gauge if he is still good enough on the field or not if he is He comes backs and gets reintegrated if he isn't he gets moved on .

TsuWave

I simply can't envision a situation where Greenwood ends up on the pitch for this club again. It would be the straw that breaks the camels back in officially confirming a classless and immoral path the club is going down. Surely ETH will look past the football perceptive and send him out on loan, or get rid as soon as possible.
All reports so far say EtH is open to keeping him, with quotes referencing his footballing/scoring ability. Same reports also stress/have quotes that EtH’s assessment is purely on sporting merit and that ultimately it’s not going to be his decision.

bazza3727

While I would agree that the circumstances are somewhat different, the club and we fans stood by both Eric and Becks against absolute barages of media frenzy, which in both cases lasted for the ensuing season. Have we lost our compassion? Surely we would be expected to support our own kids in similar cicumstances? I feel that the onus is on the club to stand by him and play him if he's fit enough.

IRN-BRUno

I'd be happy to let him go for free to whoever wants him. More realistically, a loan this season and then sell next summer.

Cloud7

Spot on

Also, thinking about some of the rumours, I don't see the point in a loan move. Surely this is just kicking the can further down the road. If United see him as a major issue now, they should sell.

If they think he can be rehabilitated etc, they should own it (including the PR circus that will follow) and announce their plans to keep him discussing ways to integrate back in to the side. I assume we're going to be paying most of his wages if he does move to Italy.
I think this is exactly what they are trying to do. The Glazers won't want to make a call on this when they might not be involved with the club going forward. A decision like this seems like something Arnold would have to run by them, and even he is unlikely to remain at the club when new owners come in so he might not want a decision about this following him around either. From the perspective of the decision makers in the club right now they probably think the easiest, and least damaging, option is just to kick the can a year down the road for someone else to deal with.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I am going to assume you missed the post from the mods yesterday where they stated the owner of this board has received Cease and Desist letters and understandably has no desire for any more. Niall owns the board and the consequences of "freedom of speech" actaully land on him so it actually makes a ton of sense why they are taking the stance that they are.
Understandable they'd prefer not to have to deal with any potential legal liability. Do you have a link to the post by any chance?

We need an rvn

In respect of ability/fitness he's in exactly the same position as any other player who's had a long term injury, Luke Shaw for example and there are plenty of others, ultimately it's down to him
Appreciate what you’re saying but I slightly disagree.

with mason, besides the aches and pains of going through the works to get his fitness back there won’t be the proper aches / painkillers needed to be taken like shaw had to do and the mental barrier of going into the tackle again. I think his talent is natural an L’s his finishing will come back very quickly

if anything, he should be fully taking in how lucky he is to be given this second chance and how close it was to be taken away and come out all guns blaring

I think for him, it’s going to be the mental barrier of having to travel to stadiums and take abuse that will make or break him.

Status
Not open for further replies.