Mason Greenwood - Football Discussion Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Interesting to see how much 18 months off has impacted his development

Redstain

Loan, his absence last season did regress the team in the sense that Weghorst was purchased. Football isn't the most physically demanding sport (Tennis, Boxing etc) so I don't think it would take a long time to regain match fitness.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Do you think, he can recapture/achieve the levels he promised?
I honestly doubt it, it will take a certain street tough mentality to get back to his best.

Dempsey19

Loan him out and if he gets his fitness levels back and does well, he can be sold to whoever wants him next summer. Makes the most sense.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Don't see how nearly 2 years without football won't completely derail his ability, doubt we will see him ever come close to what saw us go for him unfortunately, he looked like he could go on to become WC but now I'd be surprised if he even makes it at PL level, all about mentality from here on out and how much he wants it
In respect of ability/fitness he's in exactly the same position as any other player who's had a long term injury, Luke Shaw for example and there are plenty of others, ultimately it's down to him

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Whatever the club's decision is - keep, loan, or sell - they need to make it soon. Continuously kicking the can down the road doesn't do anyone any good.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Football wise I think it makes more sense to keep him instead of loaning him out. I would take an 18 month break, no form, no confidence having Mason Greenwood over Martial any day.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Use this preseason tour to get him slowly back to playing football, then have him on loan to Atalanta to buy their striker for a discounted price seems good.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
He'll definitely play football again but hopefully not at Utd. Loan him out abroad, get him back fit and then sell him on.

gajender

Yeh not true, they are trying to get a loan away for him as nobody will buy him as he’s been out so long.
If that's the case then I am assuming United won't have any issues allowing option to buy if Club taking Greenwood on loan requests it .

redcafe_reader

He's obviously a great shooter

But his other part of the game, movement, dribbling, passing, decision making, work rate, fighting spirit etc is quite lacking in my opinion.

I didn't watch youngster game so I may be wrong, but I don't think he's a generation talent striker as many making him to be. Can someone shed some light onto this?

Munkehboi

With the market scarce of affordbale good strikers, I can see us start the season with Rashford up top whilst Greenwood works on his fitness and match prep for 6 months. Essentially what ETH did with Samcho last season. Greenwood would come in for the 2nd half of the season ready. It'll feel like a January window signing of a new forward.

Oldyella

In respect of ability/fitness he's in exactly the same position as any other player who's had a long term injury, Luke Shaw for example and there are plenty of others, ultimately it's down to him
Those players will have been in the club going through rehab work though. He's been totally cut adrift. While I'm sure he's been training personally I imagine it's nowhere near what injured players get re support, planning, guidance etc.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

But his other part of the game, movement, dribbling, passing, decision making, work rate, fighting spirit etc is quite lacking in my opinion.

I didn't watch youngster game so I may be wrong, but I don't think he's a generation talent striker as many making him to be. Can someone shed some light onto this?
Yep, I do think there's a fair amount of over hyping his ability on here.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Anyway, talking about the football aspect feels like its trivialising the utterly despicable thing he did.

So I'm out.

stw2022

There's no way that amount of time away from competitive games hasn't negatively affected his development in a significant way, sadly

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Bar a huge loan fee or a marquee striker coming in, I'd keep him. We need all the goals we can get. If he flops then we release him. If he does great we can keep him or sell him for a good fee. That's the smart, rational way to handle this.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Nah couldn't disagree more. He was maturing game by game and his dribbling, speed, passing, vision and shooting were all coming along nicely. I do recall a good number of posters didn't like how selfish he could be when dribbling to get the shot off, but personally with his ability that's exactly what I wanted. The only area I'd say he was lacking was workrate, but even then id have it higher then Rashford, Martial or Sancho.

Tarrou

I reckon we're gonna try and phase him back in after a loan

he's worth a lot of money, and unfortunately that seems to be the most important factor nowadays

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Also bears noting that this conversation has been had on other football forums and reddit and Twitter without the world collapsing, and it makes no sense why the mods are treating this like a hot potato. But anyways, football talk only.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I reckon we're gonna try and phase him back in after a loan

he's worth a lot of money, and unfortunately that seems to be the most important factor nowadays
Plus he’s still very young so time is on his side.

Strelok

He's naturally two footed, with probably the best hip I've seen since RVN. Then that very rare tiny backlift and the shot is still so powerful. He's also very fast, a quite decent dribbler and passer, his decision making and football brain is also very good already but he's a bit selfish as any young striker. Workrate and fighting spirit is also pretty good.

He's a very rare commodity imo he's even more naturally blessed than Mbappe. If you ever play football you'd understand how hard for defenders to deal with a two footed and fast striker. You simply couldn't know which side he'd take you on or shoot from. The only thing he lacks atm imo is a bit strength to fend against the CBs to keep the ball or get into the position to score and you'd have a top #9 already.

If you check my posting history I rarely hype any young player but this one is truly a generational talent imo. What a shame really.

stevoc

Either way mentally and physically he could do with a loan for a year to get his fitness back.

After that it should be up to Ten Hag and the squad, if they're happy to have him back then I imagine he'll return to playing for United.

RVN1991

Should be sold. Not saying he doesn't deserve another chance but it should be as far away from the club as possible for the foreseeable future. Who knows, maybe if he redeems himself and is still good enough 5 years down the line he could come back, my concern is that this will all just end up being bad for everyone involved with United facing backlash and the guy getting away with his actions and ultimately facing no real consequences all because he's good at football.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we don’t get to sign new striker (not the best market for a striker right now), I can see us playing him at some point of the season (if he is getting the green light to play). But definitely need to regain his form and fitness first.

Status
Not open for further replies.