Mason Greenwood - Football Discussion Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himannv

From a football perspective only, I feel I never got to see if the hype was justified or not. He was a good dribbler and could finish with either foot, but I didn't see anything more. I felt his positioning wasn't quite there for a goal poacher, and I don't think his passing or back-to-goal game was really anything out of the ordinary. I think him playing on the right sort of indicated he wasn't the finished product as a no 9. Some people rated him like a talent that could get to Mbappe levels and I don't think he was that from what I saw. Perhaps he could have eventually made it, but I don't believe so personally.

ManRed

We need to decide if he is staying or going. If we decide to keep him then he should be in the preseason squad so manager can assess where he is at with the football and team dynamics. Everyone is guessing what toll 18 months took on him but the best way to judge is to play him and watch him first hand.

Devil You Know

The brilliance of Greenwood was not stats - I was always surprised seeing him score more against the lower level teams etc. -

It was the balance that he gave to our right side of our attack.

Antony hasn’t provided it. Sancho hasn’t and Amad whilst being here has yet to break in to the first team.

It was great because it made our front 3 very deadly and unpredictable yet consistent.

Our best attack is season 2 Ole & it can return even with different tactics through the return of Greenwood.
Even if we accept that, it's a really low bar for his mid- to long-term inclusion in the team.

Given everything else that we're not allowed to talk about, the benefit isn't worth the cost.

We can (and should) be aiming for more from our right hand side.

Devil You Know

We need to decide if he is staying or going. If we decide to keep him then he should be in the preseason squad so manager can assess where he is at with the football and team dynamics. Everyone is guessing what toll 18 months took on him but the best way to judge is to play him and watch him first hand.
I think we have.

The fact your second sentence hasn't come true is strong evidence that he's going.

Strelok

Afaik a decision would be made soon, at least before the season starts so before mid Aug. But I think much sooner since ETH definitely needs enough time to prepare for the season and of course he'd need to find out who would be his #9 in the upcoming season.

I read somewhere that according to a trusted United source the story of loaning him out is 'highly speculative'. So far no decision has been made yet. ETH seems to want to keep him he reportedly even said 'Greenwood has proved in the past to be able to play as a central forward' and the majority of our players reportedly would also welcome him back. Then the Glazers won't have to spend +60m on a new #9 in this case. It's getting more and more likely that we'd keep him imo.

Jacob

The most naturally talented player since Rooney. A loan to see his real contribution outside United would be great and then we'll ease him back in to hostile crowds domestically.

In Rainbows

We can (and should) be aiming for more from our right hand side.
From a pure footballing perspective, or in combination with everything off the pitch too? Because if it's from a football perspective, he was bound to be that from his potential. He had yet to really show his vision in the men's game, but he does have that ability. Considering his goal scoring at age 19, then it's obvious that's exactly what our right hand side would aim for.

dinostar77

• The most naturally talented player since Rooney. A loan to see his real contribution outside United would be great and then we'll ease him back in to hostile crowds domestically.
    Too good a talent to allow a rival to have. Strikers are at a premium and difficult to find. He could easily end up being a harry kane and scoring 25 goals a season as a no9.

STYLOISRED

He will go out on loan, spend the first few months of the loan getting back to full fitness, blow up in the second half of the season and ne back playing for us by the start of next season.
If the club decides to sell him, he will go to a lower league but be back to the top leagues within 2/3 seasons I feel.

MDFC Manager

People are being dishonest when downplaying his talent. He's elite level on that front. Club would have booted him to the kerb already if he wasn't

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Bring him back in, after a season on loan if necessary. He’s a massive talent. Gets shots off so fast on either foot. He’ll absolutely take the piss if he goes to Italy and you can bet that sometime later it will be another English club who go back in for him. They’ll find a way to make it work with him, so United would be better off doing that instead.

Last edited:

redcucumber

Do people mind that ten Hag seemingly wants him back? Does that impact their opinion on the matter?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Do people mind that ten Hag seemingly wants him back? Does that impact their opinion on the matter?
Ten Hag is all business, and all football. Any interview where they start asking him about other stuff he tries to go back onto football. He probably see’s it through the “he’s a good player“ lens. That’s probably naive of him but I get the impression he’s like that…

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I do, yeah, it does lower my opinion of ten Hag.
Me too, I’d prefer to not bring him back. Football wise it’s not like a long injury as some have suggested. He hasn’t trained with the club or been around his team mates for 18 months. You have to lose your edge.
By all means loan him and raise his sale price if he does well

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Why, though? He wasn’t employed by United when all this started, and when a new manager comes in you’d normally expect them to start everything with a clean slate.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
People are being dishonest when downplaying his talent. He's elite level on that front. Club would have booted him to the kerb already if he wasn't
I don’t think they are to be honest. I recall towards the end of his playing time having to read through a swathe of clueless posts about how he wasn’t all that and was very greedy. You can see those same posters in this thread commenting that he wasn’t as talented as some seem to think but honestly I just don’t think they were watching closely. He had everything to be truly world class. Compare him to Rashford for a moment and you realise he was a much superior talent and was already starting to show that consistently towards the end.

He was the biggest heartbreak I’ve witnessed as a Utd fan because his prospects were that exciting. I’d take him back in a heartbeat, however I won’t get my hopes up that will happen, still expect we will never see him in a Utd shirt again.

Jev

Why, though? He wasn’t employed by United when all this started, and when a new manager comes in you’d normally expect them to start everything with a clean slate.
That's a really poor excuse.

Oranges038

Eriksen was already older experienced footballer, much easier to come back, MG is very young still developing footballer who missed almost two crucial development years.
Yeah, it must be much easier to come back and play in the PL with a pacemaker at 30 after almost dying than returning at 21 after 18 months of doing feck all.

resimad7

As long as he wasn’t turning over tables in the dressing room, if Fergie was in charge, he’d have him back. No doot aboot tha’.

goalscholes

Either he’ll play. He’ll learn from the public ridicule and mental health support. He’ll win the fans over if he scores goals, like RVP or Ronaldo (second stint). He’ll accept his mistakes and try his best from this point to be a good Dad and husband.

Or he’ll make another mistake, we’ll give up on rehabilitating him and sack/sell him immediately.

If ETH and the players aren’t willing to train and play with him, then I’m against him ever coming back. They’ll have the best sense whether he’s able to fix himself and contribute to society and to the club.

Strelok

Tbh I don't. He's hired to get results. To get results he needs goals. Being a professional he should leave whatever his personal feeling and probably even moral standards out of this.

If I were him tbh I'd do the same especially given the current circumstance regarding the squad and the striker market. If I fail none would give a feck about my personal feeling and moral standards anyway. They'd simply carry on with the new manager and even call me names. And I want to win.

And no it doesn't impact my opinion on the matter. Personally I don't think he'd deserve to wear the shirt again. But if he does I could live with that I guess.

Last edited:

El-Manos

ETH would know more on the matter than we do. We have given players a second chance in the past. I personally don’t know what the right to do is on this one. Their camp have been very quiet on it all which makes it harder to judge in terms of bringing him back or not.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think this is me putting it rather more gently than truly seems appropriate but I deem these circumstances too exceptional for platitudes about clean slates.

tomaldinho1

tracking back aside, I've seen more from Greenwood as attacking threat on the right than I have from Antony
Obviously, he’s a striker. As an out and out goal scorer he probably was our best finisher as Martial seemed to drop his level.

MDFC Manager

I don’t think they are to be honest. I recall towards the end of his playing time having to read through a swathe of clueless posts about how he wasn’t all that and was very greedy. You can see those same posters in this thread commenting that he wasn’t as talented as some seem to think but honestly I just don’t think they were watching closely. He had everything to be truly world class. Compare him to Rashford for a moment and you realise he was a much superior talent and was already starting to show that consistently towards the end.

He was the biggest heartbreak I’ve witnessed as a Utd fan because his prospects were that exciting. I’d take him back in a heartbeat, however I won’t get my hopes up that will happen, still expect we will never see him in a Utd shirt again.
Agreed, especially same about the bolded. I was gutted with what happened.

redcucumber

Based on?
He gave an interview with The Times in which he said the team needs more goals and Greenwood has proven he can score them. To be honest I'm amazed that someone could follow United and have not picked up on it. There's been several reports about ten Hag being open to his return.

Real Name

He gave an interview with The Times in which he said the team needs more goals and Greenwood has proven he can score them. To be honest I'm amazed that someone could follow United and have not picked up on it. There's been several reports about ten Hag being open to his return.
I must admit havent kept track of MG story at all.

Maybe he was just being diplomatic. Either way its not just his decision.

gajender

Either he’ll play. He’ll learn from the public ridicule and mental health support. He’ll win the fans over if he scores goals, like RVP or Ronaldo (second stint). He’ll accept his mistakes and try his best from this point to be a good Dad and husband.

Or he’ll make another mistake, we’ll give up on rehabilitating him and sack/sell him immediately.

If ETH and the players aren’t willing to train and play with him, then I’m against him ever coming back. They’ll have the best sense whether he’s able to fix himself and contribute to society and to the club.
It might be unpalatable to many on this Forum But my personal opinion ETH and Players would take more practical view of the situation and wouldn't have strong opinion either way they will get on with whatever decision Club makes .

GoldanoGraham

I think that he needs to go away/overseas and play this season - it is not the right time for him to come back into the Utd world - the negatives of this and bad PR would outweigh any upside.

I think some form of public apology and interview showing remorse and learning would help his profile - he has made and behaved in a shameful way - he must have now learnt from this so let him tell that.

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance - but that won’t be at Utd next season.

Strelok

Yeah all the reports say ETH wants to keep him. He basically even said so as well.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
:lol:

Hackman2210

Lovely player - great with the ball at his feet. Can run, pass, finish - he had it all. Reminded me of Chris Waddle - always looked knackered but had so much class. Made it look effortless.
I hope to see him back at UTD. Year on loan and then back please. He will destroy Serie A.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I hope - footballing wise - I never see him again.
You only need to look at Twitter (he’s almost constantly trending) to see that there’s an outpouring of support for him by fans, footballing wise, most want him back in action for us.

thedano

Good player, but not as good as people are making out on here. He is not the difference between top 4 and challenging for the title, so not worth the hassle or bad PR.

2 aboard loans and leaves on a free in June 2025, would be best all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.