Mason Greenwood must start ahead of Rashford

Suedesi

Greenwood is better than Rashford, already.

I like Mason's movement, decision making in front of goal and how crisply he shoots - left or right.

The only thing Marcus has over him is pace

I'd like to see Sancho on the left, Ronnie/Cavani leading the line and Greenwood on the right for a sustained number of games.

James Peril

He is a much better player and a goalscorer as well, something Rashford is probably never going to be. Rashford falls a bit in the Martial-pit, he just doesn’t look too bothered most of the time.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

I like Mason's movement, decision making in front of goal and how crisply he shoots - left or right.

I'd like to see Sancho on the left, Ronnie/Cavani leading the line and Greenwood on the right for a sustained number of games.
Really? Greenwood's pace is insane too.

Trequarista10

The 4222 would be absolutely ideal for Greenwood in the front two. It completely solves the supposed conundrum of him being too good a finisher to play wide, and not being ready to play as a lone striker.

Whether or not he can develop a good partnership with Ronaldo is yet to be seen, but I believe it could work. In the couple games they played together they didn't seem on the same page, both and in particular Greenwood being quite selfish. But I'm happy to put that down to over eagerness or nerves and a lack of drilled and coached cohesion. With some coaching, I think the partnership would be great. Greenwood drifting to the right channel and Ronaldo drifting to the left channel, both great finishers, Ronaldo good in the air and capable of winning knock downs and flick ons, Greenwood has shows glimpses of his quality dropping into the 10 position and building play. At reserve level we also saw more of his tendency to run in behind and get 1 on 1s, which we haven't seen much of at senior level with him playing out wide, but he definitely has it in his locker.

I'm so bored of 433 and 4231, a formation that has two centre forwards gets me feeling all warm and tingly.

Last edited:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You could easily have Marcus from the left, Sancho right and Ronny/Mason up top. It doesn’t have to be a choice between the two.
Plus why would you leave our second best player statistically out of the line up?

Crashoutcassius

I think as a worker alongside greenwood, rr could get more out of rashford. that is all that will matter, how it benefits the system, so that'll be what it comes down to in my opinion

Mr PG

We signed a manager we trust so we stop worrying about these kinds of things. He said he wants to build up Greenwood physically so we may see reduced minutes for him if he’s into heavy gymn work

Will Singh

If it wasn’t for Rashford being a local lad Martial could have been just as good but Ole never gave him that love. Rashford just doesn’t look bothered lately, I’m not sure how much bad habits they’ve picked up from Ole as they’ve been getting away with a lot of shit. Greenwood tips Rashford in every aspect bar pace but that won’t effect Greenwood as he’s movement on and off the ball gives him that edge BUT that’s not to say Greenwood is slow far from it!

TheReligion

Abusive

Do we need a thread for this?

Zapata

I agree, I think mason can develop better playing alongside ronaldo while he still can.

Abraxas

It would be better in the sense Greenwood is better at holding onto the ball, he has a better touch and better ability to lay the ball off.

If you look at Rashfords game against Norwich he had to do a lot of this and it didn't work out for him. Stuff just bounced off him.

Greenwood needs to work on his work-rate and consistency throughout 90 mins though. The idea behind the role is probably to do a lot of Ronaldo's running and to work your balls off for the team. That isn't exactly Mason's forte yet, whether it's physical or mental I'm unsure.

Bondi77

No problem with that but Rashford still starts because he is better than Sancho.

Greck

What is this addressing? Is there a consensus in the first place that Rashford has to start? He isn't quite undisputed starting material, tbh no one is, maybe except Ronaldo because of his standing in the team.

The second striker in any 2 forward system is always a supporting striker and needs to do holdup, decisionmaking and playmaking better. Rashford and Ronaldo also seemed to have some of the worst chemistry we've seen between our 2 forwards so an automatic starting spot is less likely while we're committed to starting Ronaldo. I think in the new system Rashford will end up bottom tier option for the deeper role and high tier for the advanced role Ronaldo occupies.

Last edited:

Greck

No problem with that but Rashford still starts because he is better than Sancho.
Not about name value or playing favorites. If he proves unable to fit the role of deeper supporting striker Sancho should and will take that role.

Bondi77

Not about name value or playing favorites. If he proves unable to fit the role of deeper supporting striker Sancho should and will take that role.
Sancho has done nothing in the Premier League for me to even think that and once Marcus is 100% over his injury Sancho is going to struggle to even get game time unless he really lifts his game.

Greck

Sancho has done nothing in the Premier League for me to even think that and once Marcus is 100% over his injury Sancho is going to struggle to even get game time unless he really lifts his game.
Anything that happened before November/December is irrelevant to who starts. Our second striker will be chosen by skillset not resume.

Lukaku had the best resume under Jose and was out of the team soon after Ole joined. It seems our next manager will be possession oriented. So won't be surprised to see 1-2 guys who once thrived under Ole's direct attack fall in importance if they prove unable to adjust to a new style

Flexdegea

Seen a link on AFTV earlier arteta watching him ready to make a move :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, I love rashford one of my favourite United players in last decade, all love for him, but in reality I would prob move him before greenwood.

Greenwood our future. He just going to hit his physical growth which he is getting bigger and just turn into a beast. He already quality. Right now he as good as anyone his age, and he rarely does anything wrong off the ball......it will come fast the reality of how good is his.

Think most know it anyway.

The aftv story was hilarious :lol:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I found it bit weird when Greenwood was brought on both times it was for Sancho and not Rashford

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
At least he should start more, maybe rotation with Rashford.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You could easily have Marcus from the left, Sancho right and Ronny/Mason up top. It doesn’t have to be a choice between the two.
Plus why would you leave our second best player statistically out of the line up?
Greenwood is comfortably ahead of Rashford in terms of actual performance for the past year.

Rashford's progress has been stagnant for quite a while now and it's time for him to buck up.

elmo

Seen a link on AFTV earlier arteta watching him ready to make a move :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, I love rashford one of my favourite United players in last decade, all love for him, but in reality I would prob move him before greenwood.

Greenwood our future. He just going to hit his physical growth which he is getting bigger and just turn into a beast. He already quality. Right now he as good as anyone his age, and he rarely does anything wrong off the ball......it will come fast the reality of how good is his.

Think most know it anyway.

The aftv story was hilarious :lol:
It's ridiculous, isn't the reason him coming off the bench because he just recovered from covid?

elmo

If it wasn’t for Rashford being a local lad Martial could have been just as good but Ole never gave him that love. Rashford just doesn’t look bothered lately, I’m not sure how much bad habits they’ve picked up from Ole as they’ve been getting away with a lot of shit. Greenwood tips Rashford in every aspect bar pace but that won’t effect Greenwood as he’s movement on and off the ball gives him that edge BUT that’s not to say Greenwood is slow far from it!
That's bollocks.

Rashford outperformed Martial last season despite playing injured and Ole kept playing Martial until Jan despite him doing feck all on the pitch.

United in sin

I agree, I think mason can develop better playing alongside ronaldo while he still can.
He probably could, but their on pitch chemistry is actually non existent. It reminds me of a young Ronaldo and RVN. They never meshed on or off the pitch

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Rashford isn't a striker.

If he does play like a striker in a partnership then he needs to be the last one - the one who runs in behind the defensive line.

This is why Ronaldo and Rashford doesn't work because their weaknesses are similar - like the ability to hold the ball up and make passes are not existing in either of them.

Greenwood is the more natural centralised striker than Rashford - has more ability to play with his back to goal etc.

He needs to prove himself in partnership with Ronaldo - because if it doesn't work, again it wouldn't be the most surprising because his back to goal abilities are still nowhere near players like Cavani and even Martial.

Greenwood is the better central striker than Rashford, it was always the case even in our youth teams.

Daengophile

One thing that we should all agree on is that we want our academy boys to be successful.

And that's a big part of Rangnick's remit. As he watches them train and play and identifies their best position and improves them as players

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why is Rashford not 100% over his injury ? Was something to that effect mentioned ?

Son

Disagree personally. Sancho will always play in this team in a creative role. He brings more to the team than Rashford in build up and presses better.

I prefer Sancho on the ball to Rashford. Some of his winding dribbles in recent games have been things of beauty and he keeps the ball better.

Offsideagain

The ABU media are now stoking up a tale about Greenwood wanting to leave because he isn’t getting the game time because of Ronaldo. I did have concerns about the signing of Ronaldo and who would play with him. Looks like Cavani is off to Barca so that’s one less to compete with. Pity about Cavani going if that is true. Having Ronaldo, Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford to choose from isn a bad problem to have. Rash hasn’t shown the form of late though.

Pronewbie

Peep
Rashford isn't a striker.

If he does play like a striker in a partnership then he needs to be the last one - the one who runs in behind the defensive line.

This is why Ronaldo and Rashford doesn't work because their weaknesses are similar - like the ability to hold the ball up and make passes are not existing in either of them.

Greenwood is the more natural centralised striker than Rashford - has more ability to play with his back to goal etc.

He needs to prove himself in partnership with Ronaldo - because if it doesn't work, again it wouldn't be the most surprising because his back to goal abilities are still nowhere near players like Cavani and even Martial.

Greenwood is the better central striker than Rashford, it was always the case even in our youth teams.
Agreed. Marcus is better off the left wing, just like Ronaldo. The opposition knows he's world class at cutting in from the left and striking the ball into the far post and prepares accordingly. It' also why he's far less effective on the right.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah Greenwood should be starting, shame he didn't start vs Norwich after his performance vs Young boys.

Verward

My only disappointment out of Greenwood is how lazy he has been off the ball. I would like to see him press more and I hope Ralf elevates his capabilities to next level.
He is young and we'll have a world class player for nothing if he works hard. That's my only regret with Rashford, under good manager like Pep or Klopp, he would have been great but instead he is simply a good player at the moment.
If Ralf manages to turn both these players to next level, we'll surely have exciting times ahead.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
In this particular moment, both Greenwood and Sancho are better than Rashford. Greenwood as a striker or wide forward, Sancho LW/RW.
Greenwood vs Rashford isn't even a debate, the only thing Marcus has over Mason is he can last 90' (for some reason Greenwood very rarely finishes games). It's hardly a criticism as Greenwood is the most natural footballer we've had in years.
Sancho has been good recently, nothing special but he is consistent and you can see his potential once we start playing as a team.
Rashford is a bit lost currently, and it has nothing to do with his fitness and recovery after injury.