Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I keep seeing this thread high up on the forum. I pop in to read what is being said and it's generally the same thing that was said about 100 pages ago.

I really don't think I can read the last 20 pages and decipher what the active point of conversation is, but is there a quick summary?
I assume it's predominantly people trying to find a way of possibly reintroducing him into our squad next summer?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I keep seeing this thread high up on the forum. I pop in to read what is being said and it's generally the same thing that was said about 100 pages ago.
If you read page 19, 64, 97, 121 or 145, you'll literally read the exact same discussions. All pages are identical.
(Numbers picked randomly)

RVN1991

No reports of sponsors dropping out or them suffering any damage "in the wider scope of things" either
On a separate note, wasn't Getafe at one point sponsored by Burger King? Seem to remember a no name Spanish team having the huge BK logo in front of their kit some 15 years ago.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Yeah there was already stuff going on. He was deliberately being kept away from the England set ups. Ole and Southgate only gave very vague answers as to why.

He wasn't lasting 90 mins, didn't look like he was working on his physique, his game was starting to suffer a bit.

It definitely wasn't a solid upwards trajectory even before all this.
Spot on.

Whether he did or didn't do what some of us think he probably did is one thing, there's an argument that the club would have eventually reached the point of no return with him sooner rather than later.

His ability in the minds of many United fans probably increased thanks to the fact he was nowhere near the team during the tumescent end to the 21/22.

I also feel there's now a much deeper conversation to be had about how the club develops players. Far too many of our young players seemingly never reach their potential and many have their attitude questioned at a relatively young age. Clearly something is going wrong off the pitch with their development.

Foden was kicked out of the England camp at the same time as Greenwood. Clearly, he's kicked on (despite debates about his best position) where Greenwood is well in this situation.

Halftrack

He didn’t have to be silent, but nothing forced him to put his neck out and for the club to declare they believe him not guilty of the acts he was charged with.

He could easily have hid behind due process, the courts and an alternative explanation from the family, without adding that conclusion, not least when the same statement was already confirming MG would not be reintegrated with the squad and would instead attempt to rebuild his career away from MU.

However you spin it, Arnold absolutely did say much more than he had to there.
No, he couldn't easily have hid behind anything. It was reported everywhere that the club was ready to reintroduce him to the squad. When that leaked and was met with backlash, it was reported that they would be consulting with the women's team, sponsors and supporter groups before reaching a final decision. This was again met with backlash, because it would definitely lead to shitheads blaming the women's team if they outcome was Greenwood goes.

He's denied it, but he also knows perfectly well how little that denial is worth in the face of all the reports of what their actual plan was. So he has no choice other than to say that he believes Greenwood is innocent, because that's what does the least damage to his and United's reputation. And it'll just have to look a bit weird that he does so while simultaneously announcing that Greenwood doesn't have a future at the club.
They also said they had evidence that essentially exonerated him didn't they?
No, they said they were given alternative explanations for the audio and pictures, and that seems to be it in terms of "evidence."

Arnold also said the audio was a snippet of a longer recording, but in a way that makes it incredibly obvious that there's nothing on it that actually helps Greenwood. But he correctly predicted that the mere mention of a longer recording, combined with the club confidently stating that they believe him innocent, would lead a lot of people to assume that there's something on it that exonerates Greenwood.

Last edited:

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
No, they said they were given alternative explanations for the audio and pictures, and that seems to be it in terms of "evidence."

Arnold also said the audio was a snippet of a longer recording, but in a way that makes it incredibly obvious that there's nothing on it that actually helps Greenwood. But he correctly predicted that the mere mention of a longer recording, combined with the club confidently stating that they believe him innocent, would lead a lot of people to assume that there's something on it that exonerates Greenwood.
Fair enough. That does actually make more sense. Ultimately, the club have handled this appallingly.

TsuWave

I don't see them bowing to "the court of public opinion". The latter concept has been blown out of proportion in these debates. The idea that "public opinion" (or specific high-profile media figures) genuinely dictates club policy is unfounded (and quite ridiculous): it's far more complicated in reality.
I mean, the people (the athletic/crafton) that leaked United's reintegration plans and models, and subsequent emergency meetings also said the u-turn was indeed due to public pressure, so

Dve

Wow. Just wow.
Imagine if he becomes the player of the year in Spain, or at least make a huge impression, posting pictures of a smiling wife and kid next to him.

Will there come a time when United fans forgive him? I wonder.

Red00012

I hope the loan move goes well for him. Looking forward to seeing a few Getafe games in the next few weeks

Pickle85

Wow. Just wow.
Imagine if he becomes the player of the year in Spain, or at least make a huge impression, posting pictures of a smiling wife and kid next to him.

To be quite honest, some are still tying themselves in knots to try to prove there's nothing to forgive, full stop.

Halftrack

Wow. Just wow.

Nah, feck him and his career.

mu4c_20le

Quality control
Wow. Just wow.

Probably easier to forgive Tevez than him for some people

Halftrack

Ffs....should he be working at McDonalds?
What's wrong with working at McD? Honest work for honest pay, it's not like anyone's entitled to being a pro-footballer making millions.
Probably easier to forgive Tevez than him for some people
Anyone that has more of a problem with what Tevez did than what Greenwood did is a fecking headcase.

foolsgold

Should make his debut on Sunday, looms a very winnable home game. It’s going to be interesting to see how he looks, match sharpness is probably going to take some time.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I hope the loan move goes well for him. Looking forward to seeing a few Getafe games in the next few weeks
I doubt if he would be getting any minutes soon. He needs to bulk up besides trying to get his match sharpness/fitness back.
After reading Keegan's report this may have been a masterstroke by the club. A well considered move by Arnold/Murtough.

Canuckred64

Absolutely no need for this. And you need to accept that people don't want him back here and couldn't care less about his career now after what he's done.
Going to be interesting once his loan deal is over. If the loan is successful and the Club feel he is will be an asset on the pitch, along as there is no more trouble in their relationship, he will play for United again. Lots of ifs, but anything is possible.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wow. Just wow.

It has nothing to do with forgiveness. Many of us just want someone like him as far away from United as possible. Accepting him back would be the club saying they accept such behavior as long as the person in question doesn't end up in prison (or with a criminal conviction).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I mean, the people (the athletic/crafton) that leaked United's reintegration plans and models, and subsequent emergency meetings also said the u-turn was indeed due to public pressure, so
You left out the first part of the paragraph you quoted for some reason.

I said if they sit on evidence that Greenwood's actually 100% in the clear with regard to any possible crime committed, I don't see the club bowing to "the court of public opinion".

Of course public opinion matters to them in general, we've known this for years. The point is that the idea that "the Twitter mob" (or Rachel Riley) actually dictate club policy is ridiculously simplistic.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Has he lost weight or was he always that skinny?
He's looking like he did at 18.

Ole got him to bulk up another 5kgs and that was the tipping point with the senior team. He looks like he has to put back another 5-8kgs to be at his optimum playing weight.

TsuWave

You left out the first part of the paragraph you quoted for some reason.

I said if they sit on evidence that Greenwood's actually 100% in the clear with regard to any possible crime committed, I don't see the club bowing to "the court of public opinion".

Of course public opinion matters to them in general, we've known this for years. The point is that the idea that "the Twitter mob" (or Rachel Riley) actually dictate club policy is ridiculously simplistic.
Proof of 100% in the clear with regard to any possible crime committed hardly ever exists for any crime, let alone something like this. I mean, the guy himself admitted to "mistakes" - whatever those may be - in his own statements. With the assertion that the investigation led them to conclude that he hadn't committed what he was initially charged with, and the reintegration plan scheduled for a rollout - the club was at least confident on some level though - and again, the people that had the scoop/leaks ended up reporting the u-turn was indeed due to public pressure

and it might not seem like much now - but when it was happening in real time said public pressure was definitely felt. I mean, you had MP's chirping in and stuff

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Wow. Just wow.

I don't speak for everyone, but never. There's nothing for me to forgive, he's done nothing wrong to me. But the thought of United simply doing it all because he's good at football repug me. More about principles, everything is fine if you're good at kicking ball and we need you. So, it's about setting the standards.

There's a line you just don't cross. Plus it's only football. He could have repent and become a 180 degree changed person for all I care, but do it at some other club. He's losing his job, he's not even jailed or losing his fortune. I think that's about as leniency you can get due to privilege of being famous.

We used to cry about cheaters, about oil clubs with their woman repressing regime, yet we have no problem supporting a woman beater and a recorded rapist whenever it suits us. This is more than simply Mason Greenwood being good at football. It's about moral compass. If I accepted him back, that would meant I have to also accept those in same position as him being able to kept their job with no repercussions. Including people in similar boats beating their wife, but not charged, and pretend it doesn't happen. Can I do that?