Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I assume the poster was talking about the heated public reaction and the mental strength required to get through it. Therefore the circumstance is irrelevant. An angry mob is an angry mob.
No, it isn't irrelevant as it has a direct influence to how the public reacts, why they may react and the support needed to be given to the player or any subsequent rehabilitation they need to do.

JustAGuest

While I agree with what you have said, this is a young kid. We all make mistakes. He is now married and has a kid of his own. What about a second chance? He will be ridiculed everywher he plays, but then so was Beckham. It all depends on how well he can handle that.
There's a pretty big difference between the mistakes we all make and what he has done. Nor is he a kid. Why should we be giving him a second chance when he himself has yet to take responsibility for his actions?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
There's a pretty big difference between the mistakes we all make and what he has done. Nor is he a kid. Why should we be giving him a second chance when he himself has yet to take responsibility for his actions?
I forgot to pay a credit card bill at 19, but was never charged with attempted rape, assault and “repeatedly engaging” in coercive and controlling behaviour.

Greenwood and myself are not the same.

Pes6Monster

I forgot to pay a credit card bill at 19, but was never charged with attempted rape, assault and “repeatedly engaging” in coercive and controlling behaviour.

Greenwood and myself are not the same.

Watergate don't bother me now

Does you conscious bother you

Tell me true

Remember the geese

That's why it's a nonsense comparison...because it isn't that simple.
It is though. The point is that the public reacted angrily to Beckham and they likely would too with Greenwood. It required a lot of mental strength for Beckham to get through it, as it would for Greenwood. Very simple point.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It is though. The point is that the public reacted angrily to Beckham and they likely would too with Greenwood. It required a lot of mental strength for Beckham to get through it, as it would for Greenwood. Very simple point.
It's not for the reasons I described above and you ignored. It removes why public reacted angrily to each case, the rationality of it, which members of the public did i.e neutral fans or United fans - the types of mental strength each player require to get over it and their rehabilitation of the situations etc. It's completely different and a stupid comparison.

Remember the geese

It's not for the reasons I described above and you ignored. It removes why public reacted angrily to each case, the rationality of it, which members of the public did i.e neutral fans or United fans - the types of mental strength each player require to get over it and their rehabilitation of the situations etc. It's completely different and a stupid comparison.
Agree to disagree. The poster was making a very simple point and people are being contrary for the sake of it.

Redlambs

Remember the geese

Because you have a simplistic take on something, that doesn't mean everyone else sees it that way.

It's amusing how arrogantly dismissive you are just because you can't understand what @SilentWitness clearly explained.
There's no need to bring context into it. The poster was making a very simple point. If there's a massive negative reaction from the public towards you, it takes mental strength to overcome that. Irrespective of context or circumstance. Why some of you can't get to grips with this is very odd.

Redlambs

There's no need to bring context into it. The poster was making a very simple point. If there's a massive negative reaction from the public towards you, it takes mental strength to overcome that. Irrespective of context or circumstance. Why some of you can't get to grips with this is very odd.
"Irrespective of context"

It's not everyone else who can't get to grips with what was said. Anyway, this is going nowhere and that poster is now not answering any questions about his post that he probably should have put more thought into in the first place, so it's time to move on.

OleGunnar20

While I agree with what you have said, this is a young kid. We all make mistakes. He is now married and has a kid of his own. What about a second chance? He will be ridiculed everywher he plays, but then so was Beckham. It all depends on how well he can handle that.
Personally, if he came out and did an interview, owned up to the disgusting behaviour and genuinely explained that he'd done X Y & Z to try and turn things around, I'd certainly be open to changing my mind. But it'd all depend on what was said really.

I get that it's a personal choice and don't really blame anyone for disagreeing with my take. But as things stand no, I don't see any reason to give him a second chance at playing for the biggest club in the world, without any kind of remorse shown.

macheda14

Speak for yourself, I've never 'made the mistake' of beating my partner and threatening to SA them. Why does a second chance equal playing for Man United. He currently has his second chance and is still in a career.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Speak for yourself, I've never 'made the mistake' of beating my partner and threatening to SA them. Why does a second chance equal playing for Man United. He currently has his second chance and is still in a career.
Yep. His second chance was not going to prison.

Litch

This thread has got me thinking: apart from Greenwood and the suitability of ETH to continue as United manager, what other divisive topics do we have as a fanbase? It seems we have the most divided fanbase in the Premier league.
Sancho?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It isn't a nonsense comparison at all. Beckham got dog's abuse. Greenwood most likely would too. The circumstances surrounding both are completely different but the reaction will be just as heated, if not more so. The mental strength of the player would be tested.
Personally I’m not sure he has the mental fortitude and I worry about their relationship being put under such stress

GreatDane

This thread has got me thinking: apart from Greenwood and the suitability of ETH to continue as United manager, what other divisive topics do we have as a fanbase? It seems we have the most divided fanbase in the Premier league.
The whole Jim vs Jassim situation has been pretty grim.
If you supported Jassim then you were pro slaves and human rights violations and if you supported Jim then you were in bed with the Glazers. Pretty much.

Nogho

Quality control
The guy was just a kid when all that happened. United should've stepped up more and helped Mason out. They should've done so in many ways, not just for him but also for his girl and his folks. They could've handled the whole thing way better. Instead, they kicked him out, and now he's in Spain playing football. I don't get how that's any better. He's still playing ball, still living with his girl, and seems to be doing okay.

I say bring him back and use him and his story as an example of how people can learn and grow from their mistakes. This club just booted the poor lad out and shipped him off to Spain. It's just ridiculous.

golden_blunder

Staff
The guy was just a kid when all that happened. United should've stepped up more and helped Mason out. They should've done so in many ways, not just for him but also for his girl and his folks. They could've handled the whole thing way better. Instead, they kicked him out, and now he's in Spain playing football. I don't get how that's any better. He's still playing ball, still living with his girl, and seems to be doing okay.

I say bring him back and use him and his story as an example of how people can learn and grow from their mistakes. This club just booted the poor lad out and shipped him off to Spain. It's just ridiculous.
Maybe he should have thought about that first.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Apart from the full year they paid him his salary and didn't have to work, then continue to pay his full salary while finding him a far less pressured environment abroad to rejuvenate his football career. The monsters we are.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It isn't a nonsense comparison at all. Beckham got dog's abuse. Greenwood most likely would too. The circumstances surrounding both are completely different but the reaction will be just as heated, if not more so. The mental strength of the player would be tested.
It wouldn’t be anywhere near as bad as what Beckham went through

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Personally I’m not sure he has the mental fortitude and I worry about their relationship being put under such stress
You don't think he's shown a massive amount of mental strength already to even come back from it?

Being branded a rapist is probably second only to being branded a paedo. The fact he's come back and is playing at the level he is as quickly as he has demonstrates significant mental strength I feel.

Redlambs

mistakes.
There's that word again.

I do wonder what kind of "mistakes" you guys who keep saying this made as young adults (not kids as you like to downplay it as).

Because flicking a foot at someone who fakes injury is exactly the same as threatening to rape someone for refusing to have sex.
Stop using context!

No. Short definitive statements are best. Keeps it divisive so the "one side is as bad as the other" myth stays alive.
There are definitely people in here doing that, it's clear as day who is with how they talk and leave certain aspect deliberately out.

Some, though, really are just that simple. Or worse.

So far today we’ve had comparing it to the guy that kicked the cat and now the same as becks.
Bring back the God talk! At least with that nonsense it's amusing.

golden_blunder

Staff
You don't think he's shown a massive amount of mental strength already to even come back from it?

Being branded a rapist is probably second only to being branded a paedo. The fact he's come back and is playing at the level he is as quickly as he has demonstrates significant mental strength I feel.
No I don’t. Being out of the spotlight and playing in Spain is not the same level of stress that him and his family will feel if he were to restart in the U.K. again. Far from it. I worry how they handle that pressure. People who commit DV have a high chance of reoffending and stress will not help

Berbaclass

No I don’t. Being out of the spotlight and playing in Spain is not the same level of stress that him and his family will feel if he were to restart in the U.K. again. Far from it. I worry how they handle that pressure. People who commit DV have a high chance of reoffending and stress will not help
Agree to disagree. You have to be mentally strong to get through it in the first place. All that time between the incident and his move to Spain.

Posh Red

Woman beaters don’t tend to be very mentally strong, in my experience.

Berbaclass

I don’t think mentally strong people behave in the way he has behaved to begin with. The two things don’t add up, in my opinion.
He probably he’s character defects. That much is obvious but you don’t get to the level that he did without being mentally strong

massiveissue

Agree to disagree. You have to be mentally strong to get through it in the first place. All that time between the incident and his move to Spain.
Added to this, he is receiving loads of abuse in Spain as well, really don't know why people are talking out of their ass if they're not following the thing closely.