Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

luke511

Agreed, he's definitely more dangerous on the right. One glaring issue with his game is he doesn't press much when the other attackers seem to do it. He often jogs about anonymously, occasionally forgotten, then suddenly becomes dangerous once the ball finds its way to him.
With two striker spots I’m surprised he hasn’t played there once for them yet, it wouldn’t have been a bad idea to loan them Pellistri too instead of Granada so he can be used further up and central.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If you voted "yes" then you're making a judgment based on what you assume her and her family think.

Nothing wrong with making a judgment based on what you know by the way, we all do it.
Apparently we all make judgement everyday, but this is stupid argument.

luke511

Christ. Now you want us to strategise other loans to help Greenwood?
It’s in your best interest too. If he plays as a striker, he’ll score more goals, driving up interest from other clubs.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It’s in your best interest too. If he plays as a striker, he’ll score more goals, driving up interest from other clubs.

Yes but we should do what's best for Pellistri. Why put him in competition with MG for a place. Defeats the purpose.

The Getafe manager likes him on the right.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Agreed, he's definitely more dangerous on the right. One glaring issue with his game is he doesn't press much when the other attackers seem to do it. He often jogs about anonymously, occasionally forgotten, then suddenly becomes dangerous once the ball finds its way to him.
I noticed that as well. He's pretty lazy out of possession. Many times he wasn't even bothering to jog, just walking around when Osasuna had possession. He has to fix that aspect of his game if he wants to play for a big club.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'm not making any assumptions. You are. I'm just pointing out that there is statistics to put your assumption in doubt.
At least we need to prove there is possible scenario of him being serial DV offender to be of anything relevant.

Otherwise its just a case of labelling him as something, and then assumed those general statistic also applies to him. Its basically no difference as being discriminated.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
At least we need to prove there is possible scenario of him being serial DV offender to be of anything relevant.

Otherwise its just a case of labelling him as something, and then assumed those general statistic also applies to him. Its basically no difference as being discriminated.

So he's now a victim of my discrimination.

Wow.

I haven't labelled him anything.

You made an assumption. I pointed out that your assumption is undermined by stats.

Fridge chutney

It really isn't. You're acting like the assumption of him committing DV is baseless, which sadly, it clearly is very much not.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You seem to think the only people making a judgment are those voting "no". Can't you see how silly that is? Yes or No are both judgements on whether or not he should play for Man United.
As I've said, we've made judgement everyday on everything, including every poll, but this has totally nothing to do with what I mean by "don't judge a person". Its two totally different types/levels of judgement, which makes your argument looks stupid as you try to imply they are the same. I don't really have to judge a person in order to make any vote related to the person.

Yagami

Good post resistant
There was one bad moment I saw. Getafe had a corner which was cleared to Greenwood outside of the box. He then clipped it back in as he had like 3 men charging him, which was also cleared to an Osasuna player creating a dangerous counter, and he barely bothered to track back despite being one of their players furthest back. A teammate of his had to charge past him.

He definitely needs to up his intensity out of possession.

luke511

Yes but we should do what's best for Pellistri. Why put him in competition with MG for a place. Defeats the purpose.

The Getafe manager likes him on the right.
It would be worth a conversation at least. I think Pellistri would benefit more from playing at Getafe than relegation fighting Granada, he would work his way into the team. There’s also talk of Borja Majoral being sold so they might need Greenwood in his position by the end of the window anyway.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I noticed that as well. He's pretty lazy out of possession. Many times he wasn't even bothering to jog, just walking around when Osasuna had possession. He has to fix that aspect of his game if he wants to play for a big club.
He might be being told to do that by the manager.

He reminds me a bit of Salah in that sense, albeit much younger obviously.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It would be worth a conversation at least. I think Pellistri would benefit more from playing at Getafe than relegation fighting Granada, he would work his way into the team. There’s also talk of Borja Majoral being sold so they might need Greenwood in his position by the end of the window anyway.

Yeah I disagree.

You have some quite extraordinary views on this topic in my opinion. But that's what makes it interesting I suppose.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It really isn't. You're acting like the assumption of him committing DV is baseless, which sadly, it clearly is very much not.
It could be one off thing, or it could be something else. We don't know the full context of it. You are making judgement at least based on something which is partially from your assumptions. I am not saying your assumptions isn't true, but we just don't know anything better than his girlfriend and her family.

luke511

Yeah I disagree.

You have some quite extraordinary views on this topic in my opinion. But that's what makes it interesting I suppose.
Yeah, loaning one of our players to a club that has proven to be a good place to loan players too is extraordinary, very rarely seen in football.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So he's now a victim of my discrimination.

Wow.

I haven't labelled him anything.

You made an assumption. I pointed out that your assumption is undermined by stats.
The stats is irrelevant.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

I highly doubt it. He plays as a wide midfielder in a 4-4-2 and the two strikers up top are goal scorers. It's pretty noticeable if you watch him play. The second possession is lost his intensity goes down a notch. The scenario @Yagami mentioned is not an instruction from the manager.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I like your postings generally golden but that’s frankly nonsense.
Thanks. It’s totally your right to think that but there is enough people in this thread that have clearly said “I don’t care about that, as long as he plays football”, or “x, y, z have done it so why can’t we?”. There are plenty willing to ignore why it’s right to have standards

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I just don't think its part of his game to press and track back in defense; something that definitely needs developing. Garnacho, despite being three years younger, is already more advanced in this area. I'd still have more confidence in Greenwood taking a shot on goal over the likes of Antony or Pellistri though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There’s also talk of Borja Majoral being sold so they might need Greenwood in his position by the end of the window anyway.
Majoral is co-top scorer in La Liga (tied with Bellingham) at the moment, so one would expect a few clubs to inquire about him. Arsenal are apparently linked with him recently.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
And you’re acting like he’s certainly guilty, which is factually incorrect.

Imagine if Depp / Heard never went to trial due to it being a weaker case than it was - what would your view of Depp be?

Applying generalised DV stats to a person / family whose case didn’t even get to trial due to ‘new evidence’ is obviously not really a fair logic - just as presuming him ‘definitely innocent’ and would be.

This is what turns the topic into a perpetual motion device - the not knowing. For many people, not having the ‘explanation’ that caused the case to be dropped provided to them simply isn’t enough. They view it, either consciously or subconsciously, as their right to have this info.

And without getting it, it seems to make people lash out at those who don’t share their stance. Possibly because, for those that view MG as guilty, the whole process of ‘justice’ has just ‘stopped’ after going so far - there’s no conclusion, there’s not even an explanation.

So the ire starts to turn outward, at those who aren’t equally convinced at his guilt. It slowly becomes acceptable to call other people ‘r*pe apologists’ if they’re not convinced of his guilt (despite the fact he was never actually accused or charged with r*pe), and making horrible jokes about the disturbing topics involved is totally ok, as long as you do so on the side of presuming he’s definitely guilty.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Feel free to do a better job explaining what you’re referring to.

Firstly the idea we make decisions on a Uruguay international's career based on how beneficial it would be for an exiled alleged rapist. I find that insulting to Pellesri and just plain mad.

Also the idea you gave previously about us keeping MG to save his girlfriend from a fan backlash if we are forced to sell him or whatever that was.

I find both of those takes quite extraordinary.

luke511

Majoral is co-top scorer in La Liga (tied with Bellingham) at the moment, so one would expect a few clubs to inquire about him. Arsenal are apparently linked with him recently.
Yep, a fair chance he’s bought.

Fridge chutney

It could be one off thing, or it could be something else. We don't know the full context of it. You are making judgement at least based on something which is partially from your assumptions. I am not saying your assumptions isn't true, but we just don't know anything better than his girlfriend and her family.
Worryingly, the picture caption suggested it was not a one-off thing. But regardless, the stats that @moses posted (the ones that you took issue with) are entirely relevant to this discussion.

luke511

Firstly the idea we make decisions on a Uruguay international's career based on how beneficial it would be for an exiled alleged rapist. I find that insulting to Pellesri and just plain mad.

Also the idea you gave previously about us keeping MG to save his girlfriend from a fan backlash if we are forced to sell him or whatever that was.

I find both of those takes quite extraordinary.
First and foremost, it’s about how the club will benefit. It would enable Greenwood to play in a more natural position closer to goal, more likely to take advantage of his biggest strength, scoring goals which would increase player value. Pellistri will be playing for a more offensive team, one that are short on wingers currently, more offensive action means his value and interest is more likely to increase too, plus it makes the club’s life easier in terms of monitoring. Majoral is being targeted by the likes of Arsenal, so Getafe may be looking for a striker or wide midfielder soon, Pellistri would be an ideal short term solution. Win win. Not so extraordinary.

In regards to taking the major fan backlash into consideration, it’s a realistic situation that could get ugly, what’s extraordinary about bringing awareness to what’s best for his partner? Online abuse is a big problem in today’s society.

Fridge chutney

And you’re acting like he’s certainly guilty, which is factually incorrect.
No, i am merely disturbed by the audio and pictures* that i have seen, and i have decided as a result that i do not want Greenwood at the club i support.

The rest of your post is one strawman after another.

BristolMick

I’m saying that they are choosing to ignore standards in chasing football results
Can they same not be said about those celebrating Jim Ratcliffes recent investment in Manchester United?

I'd argue that his decisions over a number of years have had a detrimental effect to many individuals, mostly for personal financial gain. None of this is alleged, its factual and has happened.

Treatment of Grangemouth staff, campaigning for brexit before moving potential jobs from Wales to France, moving to Monaco to evade 4 billion in tax, paying staff below minimum wage, lobbying against green taxes, windfall taxes and trade unions.

The number or victims from Jim's greed is ever growing.

It feels there is an inconsistency from those who base their decisions on morals and standards as their position changes based on the crime/action. Unless of course they don't believe Jim's actions over his career are moraly wrong, which if they do then maybe their morals and standards aren't quite as high as has been implied.

NotThatSoph

As long as his girlfriend and her family are perfectly fine with him, I wouldn't judge.
A friend of mine was raped once. Now, years later, she's still friends with her rapist.

You would not judge the rapist, meaning that you don't have an opinion on whether or not the rape was a bad thing to do, correct?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
First and foremost, it’s about how the club will benefit. It would enable Greenwood to play in a more natural position closer to goal, more likely to take advantage of his biggest strength, scoring goals which would increase player value. Pellistri will be playing for a more offensive team, one that are short on wingers currently, more offensive action means his value and interest is more likely to increase too, plus it makes the club’s life easier in terms of monitoring. Majoral is being targeted by the likes of Arsenal, so Getafe may be looking for a striker or wide midfielder soon, Pellistri would be an ideal short term solution. Win win. Not so extraordinary.

In regards to taking the major fan backlash into consideration, it’s a realistic situation that could get ugly, what’s extraordinary about bringing awareness to what’s best for his partner? Online abuse is a big problem in today’s society.

Too many hypotheticals. Currently MG is playing in Pellistri's position for Getafe. And I still find it quite an insult to Pellistri to be used to further the prospects of an exiled alleged rapist.

Secondly. If he is sold and brainless incels attack the victim then it needs to be dealt with, they can't hold the club to ransom. Its madness.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Can they same not be said about those celebrating Jim Ratcliffes recent investment in Manchester United?

I'd argue that his decisions over a number of years have had a detrimental effect to many individuals, mostly for personal financial gain. None of this is alleged, its factual and has happened.

Treatment of Grangemouth staff, campaigning for brexit before moving potential jobs from Wales to France, moving to Monaco to evade 4 billion in tax, paying staff below minimum wage, lobbying against green taxes, windfall taxes and trade unions.

The number or victims from Jim's greed is ever growing.

It feels there is an inconsistency from those who base their decisions on morals and standards as their position changes based on the crime/action. Unless of course they don't believe Jim's actions over his career are moraly wrong, which if they do then maybe their morals and standards aren't quite as high as has been implied.
Stay on topic. This reaching whatabout nonsense just creates confusion. We have ownership threads where the morality of owners is discussed in detail.

Argue the points to hand.

Phil Osophy

Another mediocre performance for the collection. Missed a good chance in the first half and didn't do much in general.

As always 3-4 bits where he shows he's naturally talented and cons the casual fan with the typical 1.30 mins highlights video. Combined with many instances where it's apparent he doesn't really get the game or doesn't care about it.

59 % pass completion today, bizarre numbers. 2 take ons completed, and obviously zero in defense as always, as defending is for the poor.

2 open play goals (+ a penalty) in half the season despite shooting at higher rate than anyone else in his team. +500 mins and 18 shots to score a goal in the league. The Man United saviour, ladies and gentlemen. Watch him score at home against cannon fodder like Granada and get cheered like a hero.

By the way Osasuna fans today showing their anger every time he touched the ball, and "Greenwood die" chants all game. Thank god we're not the ones having to put up with this garbage every week added to his mediocre performances, on the top of all the problems we already have. Getafe deserve far more than 20 % of whatever we get this summer.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Another mediocre performance for the collection. Missed a good chance in the first half and didn't do much in general.

As always 3-4 bits where he shows he's naturally talented and cons the casual fan with the typical 1.30 mins highlights video. Combined with many instances where it's apparent he doesn't really get the game or doesn't care about it.

59 % pass completion today, bizarre numbers. 2 take ons completed, and obviously zero in defense as always, as defending is for the poor.

2 open play goals (+ a penalty) in half the season despite shooting at higher rate than anyone else in his team. +500 mins and 18 shots to score a goal in the league. The Man United saviour, ladies and gentlemen. Watch him score at home against cannon fodder like Granada and get cheered like a hero.

By the way Osasuna fans today showing their anger every time he touched the ball, and "Greenwood die" chants all game. Thank god we're not the ones having to put up with this garbage every week added to his mediocre performances, on the top of all the problems we already have. Getafe deserve far more than 20 % of whatever we get this summer.
I was under the impression he was tearing it up every week.

luke511

Too many hypotheticals. Currently MG is playing in Pellistri's position for Getafe. And I still find it quite an insult to Pellistri to be used to further the prospects of an exiled alleged rapist.

Secondly. If he is sold and brainless incels attack the victim then it needs to be dealt with, they can't hold the club to ransom. Its madness.
There’s one hypothetical situation where Majoral is sold, which is looking rather likely. Getafe are still very short on wide players anyway, even if he isn’t sold, Pellistri would be a big asset to them regardless.

Last edited: