Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Devil81

Nobody is going to buy him after two years out and a video recording of domestic abuse and sexual abuse in circulation.

Even it he went somewhere on a free there is a good chance he will be hounded out and club sponsors threatening to pull out of deals.

This crazy notion he's going to rebuild his career is nothing but fantasy.

fps

I know 2 people personally who hold that opinion, and MG is not close to Mbappe, so no, it's not baseless conjecture. Plus, I said some.
Well maybe don’t hang out with those people so much, cos that’s grim.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
But why pay off his contract when they could let him go for gross misconduct…?

Seems very odd to purposely and actively go out of their way to declare him innocent, when they simply could’ve stated that after conducting their investigation Utd have decided to part ways with the player.

Whole thing is just utterly bizarre, and reads like they spent 6 months investigating it, found him to be innocent (which they’ve stated), tried to bring him back and then back tracked because Adam Crafter and Rachel Riley kicked off about it.

It’s very difficult to see it as anything other than that whether you wanted him gone or back at Utd.
Yes this is what I just can’t understand at all. Either just say nothing about the investigation or if you are ready to stick by your investigation then don’t change your plan based on backlash.

C'est Moi Cantona

Jeez Sky desperate to put the boot in, I guess us kicking him out has stolen a lot of lazy air time from them for next 6 weeks, and a chance for them to throw us in the gutter, they must be very upset.

al tuna

Having an American dad and an English mum, living in the States and visiting back home frequently, I've been exposed to both cultures and I'm beyond blessed because of that.

Reading through this thread is wild. There's such a huge difference how American media and athletes are treated after doing something controversial and how the English media and athletes react and are treated.

I don't live in a massive sports market (just outside of Pittsburgh, PA) so I don't really get exposed to local NY media or local LA media or local Chicago media or local southern media like Atlanta or the insanity that comes out of Florida but, the differences in culture from each country is so, so different pertaining to things like this. Not that anyone asked or anything. :angel:

Infestissumam

I know 2 people personally who hold that opinion, and MG is not close to Mbappe, so no, it's not baseless conjecture. Plus, I said some.
I don't doubt it, but that's pretty grim. Like, there's some talent line that needs to be crossed for it to be glossed over?

Abraxas

Well, that's that. Probably the best for all concerned. There was no chance he was resuming his career here this season, my preference was for a loan and to revisit it, but to be honest his position is probably untenable. I don't think it was ever going to "blow over" so it would have only kicked the can down the road.

He'll resume his career abroad, most likely. Ultimately he has to learn from a bad, bad series of mistakes and behavior. It has cost him his career at United and potentially a career at the top level after so long out of the game, so it hasn't been without consequence. But he does now have some kind of opportunity to rebuild and I think it is right he is allowed to do that.

GioF

Putting the decision to keep/release Mason to one side for a second….

What I despise is the fact that since February when the CPS and Police dropped the charges the officials at OT would have had all the evidence and information at hand.

They have taken six months to meticulously conduct their investigation only to find that the result is Mason is innocent of all crimes.

If it was their intention to release Mason because of his conduct that would have been fair but they are actually telling us that he’s innocent but because of the publics reaction (who don’t know anything like the level of information they do) that they will release him.

The handling of this situation is absolutely awful.

Yorke to Cole

I am disappointed with the whole matter and how it has been handled. I can't stand Rachel Riley anyway and Crafton has taken an opportunity, like other journalists have post Ferguson.

I think the thing to have done, to save a lot of time was to make a decisive decisive a lot earlier. It would have saved everyone so much time. Our squad preparation is done for, a 21 year old player has had no proper training or matches and is expected to go to another club. He also has a young child now. This is just terrible planning.

This club needs complete change at the top?

M4YON

Having an American dad and an English mum, living in the States and visiting back home frequently, I've been exposed to both cultures and I'm beyond blessed because of that.

Reading through this thread is wild. There's such a huge difference how American media and athletes are treated after doing something controversial and how the English media and athletes react and are treated.

I don't live in a massive sports market (just outside of Pittsburgh, PA) so I don't really get exposed to local NY media or local LA media or local Chicago media or local southern media like Atlanta or the insanity that comes out of Florida but, the differences in culture from each country is so, so different pertaining to things like this. Not that anyone asked or anything. :angel:
No nobody asked BUT it would be interesting to know what those differences are.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
They definitely aren't.

But the point being, on here up until last week it wasn't allowed to be discussed. So alluding to people not genuinely giving a shite based on that shouldn't be a thing. I'm not saying I don't think that's true in some cases though.

He thinks nobody actually cares and ye are all virtue signalling.

Gopher Brown

Reminds of the GB News crowd and chanting "woke" and "cancel culture" at everything.
Yeah, if being 'woke' means having zero tolerance of domestic sexual abuse, regardless of whether people might have got away with it in the past, then sign me right up.

Glad he's left. Should have been out as soon as that audio came to light. No denial from him or her. I worry about a future of AI and fakery, but there was zero denial. It matters not that she is still with him or that she has a kid with him now, at the time she felt so strongly about the abuse that she released it, knowing full-well the shit show that would follow.

If another club take him, well he's their problem now. If he ends up pot washing in a restaurant, he's their problem too.

Castia

They’ve waited as long as possible to hope the story would have blown over. He would 100% be in the squad if it wasn’t for the recent backlash.

The club is a disgrace

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Can I point you toward the case of David Goodwillie?

I’d say given the graphic and horrifying media surrounding him, the vast majority would still object in years to come if MG returns to English football.
Goodwillie isn't a good footballer (in the grand scheme of things).

There's enough evidence that a club with backbone can ride out public opinion for a good enough footballer, given time and results.

I don't doubt it, but that's pretty grim. Like, there's some talent line that needs to be crossed for it to be glossed over?
Of course there is. It's a line unspoken of, but it exists. Not glossed over by all, but enough evidence in sports of people holding their nose and carrying on, if the on pitch benefit is good enough.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
People can go on about Riley and Crafton but Jamie Jackson's imbecilic story that United were going to use the women's team as a soundboard fanned the flames just as much as anything. It was a totally absurd claim and yet another disasterclass in reporting from Jackson.

manutddjw

Quite pathetic to be worried here about the life of a pro footballer who is going to get a multi million dollar contract elsewhere.

Not to mention siding with a player over club interests. United has booted better players for a lot less over the years.
I find your description of him to be revealing. Just because someone has money doesn’t mean they should be cast aside because they have the funds to rebuild. Both him and his girlfriend are local to Manchester. They will likely have to move away from their home and family with a newborn to boot. That’s hard for the family but I guess they have money right?

If you want to talk about siding with the club, it was quite clear what the club wanted to do, until the backlash came after the first statement from people who had already made their mind up without having the full story.

Doracle

There’s no way we will be getting any money for him by the way, for those hoping that will be the case.

We’ve obviously decided to stand by him either because we think it’s the right thing to do or because sacking him for gross misconduct won’t work. Either way, no one is paying us any money for a player we’ve accepted won’t play for us again. As soon as a club comes in for him which he’s prepared to move to, he will be off on a free (or a loan with us paying his wages).

whitbyviking

No nobody asked BUT it would be interesting to know what those differences are.
The NFL is full of criminals of varying severity, seems they forgive more in the US. Can’t comment on other sports but can’t imagine they are too different.

BerryBerryShrew

Quality control
Whole thing is just utterly bizarre, and reads like they spent 6 months investigating it, found him to be innocent (which they’ve stated), tried to bring him back and then back tracked because Adam Crafter and Rachel Riley kicked off about it.
Even if we had conclusive evidence that MG was guilty, I'd still find him less odious than Rachel Riley. Disgusting excuse for a human being.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Jeez Sky desperate to put the boot in, I guess us kicking him out has stolen a lot of lazy air time from them for next 6 weeks, and a chance for them to throw us in the gutter, they must be very upset.

Sky is just a cesspit nowadays. Its gone way downhill.

Lebo

I think there was no getting away from it. Had they announced it in July, the press would have covered it in detail at the time with a similar outcome. Utd have handled this badly, but I’m not sure there was an ideal time that would have fundamentally changed the result.
There is actually. When something like this breaks out with one of your employees, the best thing to say is “ As MU FC we are suspending this player pending the outcome of the investigation. The player will only be wellcome to our training ground if cleared of charges or served his sentence while still contracted to us. “

basically you leave everything up to the courts

antk

It's the least the club could do and I'm still relieved to see this happen. It's already bad enough it hasn't happened sooner and we all know they would have loved to keep him regardless.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
People can go on about Riley and Crafton but Jamie Jackson's imbecilic story that United were going to use the women's team as a soundboard fanned the flames just as much as anything. It was a totally absurd claim and yet another disasterclass in reporting from Jackson.
I sincerely hope he regrets writing that awful story.

Redcy

It is impossibly difficult to get a conviction without the victim, that’s why the police won’t have pursued. Unless the evidence you have cannot be questioned at all then there is nothing you can do. In this case if the victim was unwilling to come forward and say that the evidence was real then the defence could just claim it was either fake or part of some game.

Afaik greenwood interfered with the victim, that’s a legal fact we do know as I got it. If he had nothing to fear, then why break his conditions? Why interfere with the accuser directly?

I don’t care what the club says rn in any statement or pr, I wouldn’t trust anything they say. They cannot come out and say the investigation found him guilty or innocent, as such, if they supposedly have all this evidence that definitely shows him to have done nothing why not release it all? All they are doing is making it look worse. There statement also makes no sense, he didn’t do the things he was originally accused of but he made mistakes. All stinks of bs, knowing that no one was going to buy whatever they were going to bring out. This way they let him go elsewhere don’t destroy his career, don’t drop themselves in it, and they don’t put themselves in a position. Where they can be sued by greenwood.

erikcred

Yeah, if being 'woke' means having zero tolerance of domestic sexual abuse, regardless of whether people might have got away with it in the past, then sign me right up.

Glad he's left. Should have been out as soon as that audio came to light. No denial from him or her. I worry about a future of AI and fakery, but there was zero denial. It matters not that she is still with him or that she has a kid with him now, at the time she felt so strongly about the abuse that she released it, knowing full-well the shit show that would follow.

If another club take him, well he's their problem now. If he ends up pot washing in a restaurant, he's their problem too.
That's all there is to it. I hate the social media holier-than-thous with their selective outrage. But, he has dragged the club's name through the mud. The moment he admitted it was a genuine recording he should've been sacked. Of course given the way we're run it's plausible that our player contracts are written up on the back of naan bread and there was no space to put in a clause allowing termination in these type of scenarios....

Mercurial

What are the differences?

Yorke to Cole

James from the Muppetiers made exactly the same point. Luckhurst reported it like that aswell. To use his word completely "irresponsible."

TsuWave

Not read the thread but my reaction from the club statement is that his girlfriend must have lied?

The club could clear this up but have chosen not to. If he’s guilty he’d be gone for gross misconduct. The fact he’s still on the payroll suggest there is strong evidence he didn’t commit the crime
The Athletic said the following:

“They debated whether to loan out or sell Greenwood, or attempt to cut ties with the 21-year-old altogether — though this would present legal challenges given the club do not consider, following the findings of an internal investigation, that they have grounds to terminate his contract.

https://theathletic.com/4790552/2023/08/21/greenwood-man-united-u-turn/?source=user_shared_article

Doracle

I do wonder what the legal implications would be for Utd and Greenwood if the statement had appeared to imply that he was guilty of some or all of the charges. As in, could MG have claimed damages, unfair dismissal etc.
If we believed that to be the case, we just wouldn’t have dealt with it in the statement. It would have been incredibly bland and would have just said that the club had decided to end its relationship with Mason Greenwood. He could have potentially sued for breach of contract but he wouldn’t have any grounds for a defamation claim in that scenario.

Gopher Brown

That's all there is to it. I hate the social media holier-than-thous with their selective outrage. But, he has dragged the club's name through the mud. The moment he admitted it was a genuine recording he should've been sacked. Of course given the way we're run it's plausible that our player contracts are written up on the back of naan bread and there was no space to put in a clause allowing termination in these type of scenarios....
It's dreadful PR again from the club - flip-flopped decision clearly after public outcry. Do the right thing in the first place!

Waynne

They’ve waited as long as possible to hope the story would have blown over. He would 100% be in the squad if it wasn’t for the recent backlash.

The club is a disgrace
I get this feeling too.

We're fallen from great heights on and off the pitch and it saddens me every day to think about it :(

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

I'm not sure I fully agree with that. When the controversies are egregious enough (e.g. Ray Rice, Michael Vick, Darren Sharper) or have graphic evidence that the tabloids can profit from, they absolutely make national news.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
There is actually. When something like this breaks out with one of your employees, the best thing to say is “ As MU FC we are suspending this player pending the outcome of the investigation. The player will only be wellcome to our training ground if cleared of charges or served his sentence while still contracted to us. “

basically you leave everything up to the courts
I think the release of the video and audio made that impossible though. Sure, they could have *said* that, but isn’t that the situation we were in up until about 2 weeks ago? And then as soon as it somehow leaked that Utd were considering bringing him back it was made clear to them from multiple angles that it would be reputationally too damaging. There’s no hiding from that.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Crafton dictated club policy. Zero backbone at the club. Whatever decision you make, whether it's right or wrong, don't let a journalist decide for you.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Putting the decision to keep/release Mason to one side for a second….

What I despise is the fact that since February when the CPS and Police dropped the charges the officials at OT would have had all the evidence and information at hand.

They have taken six months to meticulously conduct their investigation only to find that the result is Mason is innocent of all crimes.

If it was their intention to release Mason because of his conduct that would have been fair but they are actually telling us that he’s innocent but because of the publics reaction (who don’t know anything like the level of information they do) that they will release him.

The handling of this situation is absolutely awful.
Yes indeed.
In truth, no one comes out of this with anything other than a total mess.
And what I despise is that yet again, the gutter press and all the hangers on and all the self appointed instant experts out there have been handed on a plate the opportunity to put the boot into our club.
So I am desperately looking forward to something resembling good news..... please.