Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
By posting about the abused staying with their abusers, you are assuming that’s what happened with ******* and MG. If that’s not your insinuation, why on Earth have you written it in this thread?
They actually said that no insinuation about the veracity of claims can be made from the fact that they are still together. That's factual, not an assumption or an accusation. You've misunderstood, deliberately or accidentally.

antk

By posting about the abused staying with their abusers, you are assuming that’s what happened with ****** and MG. If that’s not your insinuation, why on Earth have you written it in this thread?
No I am not. Your reading comprehension is abysmal, as I've explicitly and specifically addressed this in my last paragraph.

I said that your constant reiteration of them living together somehow meaning the abuse didn't happen wasn't consistent with real-world statistics.

If I adopted your rhetoric, I'd say you're seemingly heavily invested in making positive assumptions as if you wanted him to be innocent.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Role play. People who are determined for him to be guilty will call bullshit. My ex was really into role play, which makes it easy for me to believe.
So your experience with your ex is enough to convince you that Greenwood is innocent. I mean, has anyone even once said that this was a role play? And if it was a role play, can you explain to me why no one has said anything? And explain the sequence of events that, someone who was vindictive enough to record a role play with, presumably, the sole purpose of convicting said person with it, would then decide “oh actually let’s get back together”?

There are far more plausible theories than this far fetched role play idea of yours - but you’re choosing to look the other way. Classic case of confirmation bias.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
The people whose daughter it is seem to know more than we do, and they are not asking for his head on a stick. Some people will say “it’s because of his money” or make other excuses, but if they’re making things up, it’s because they want him to be guilty. She can get more than enough money from this without needing him.

Perhaps he is telling the truth and he didn’t do the things he was accused of, but has accepted he made mistakes in general (I don’t think he could publicly admit to the things he was accused of because the case can be reopened).

United have said that they don’t believe the audios and pictures are what they have been made out to be. They didn’t have to say that. They didn’t have to say anything about that. The reason I can believe this is through personal experience.

At worst, he made some empty threats. If they were real, and a real danger, she had the perfect chance to run a mile. She didn’t. She stayed and had his kid. They were 19 at the time for heavens sake.
Anyway, so back to the question. What if it was YOUR daughter?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
So your experience with your ex is enough to convince you that Greenwood is innocent. I mean, has anyone even once said that this was a role play? And if it was a role play, can you explain to me why no one has said anything? And explain the sequence of events that, someone who was vindictive enough to record a role play with, presumably, the sole purpose of convicting said person with it, would then decide “oh actually let’s get back together”?

There are far more plausible theories than this far fetched role play idea of yours - but you’re choosing to look the other way. Classic case of confirmation bias.
What you need to understand here is that you actively relish his guilt, whereas Spaghetti clearly has an unbiased birds eye view of the whole situation. Plus his girlfriend liked role play, so that's pretty definitive and you should apologise and leave the site.

norm87cro

The guy f... up but this all she is a victim is a serious breach of intelligence. She actually married Him so it just reeks of an abusive relationship (on both sides) very much like the Deep-Heard one. Mufc lack of opinion about this is pathetic

Withnail

In another case, Illombe Mboyo was convicted of gang rape of a 14 year old and still played for Belgium after.
From what I can see his selection was controversial at the time and he only had two appearances. A move to West Ham also fell through due to protests so it definitely affected his career, and rightly so.

Spaghetti

Mom's
They actually said that no insinuation about the veracity of claims can be made from the fact that they are still together. That's factual, not an assumption or an accusation. You've misunderstood, deliberately or accidentally.
I didn’t say anything to the contrary. We don’t know. As I said, we can only make assumptions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The guy f... up but this all she is a victim is a serious breach of intelligence. She actually married Him so it just reeks of an abusive relationship (on both sides) very much like the Deep-Heard one. Mufc lack of opinion about this is pathetic
In a thread full of terrible takes this has to be one of the very worst. You’re accusing her of being abusive to him? Why? Because they got married? Have a word with yourself ffs.

Spaghetti

Mom's
No I am not. Your reading comprehension is abysmal, as I've explicitly and specifically addressed this in my last paragraph.

I said that your constant reiteration of them living together somehow meaning the abuse didn't happen wasn't consistent with real-world statistics.

If I adopted your rhetoric, I'd say you're seemingly heavily invested in making positive assumptions as if you wanted him to be innocent.
English is not my first language, so I may not always get everything perfectly, though I don’t think there have been any misunderstandings here, I think you are trying to be patronising.

Of course I want him to be innocent. Who in their right mind wouldn’t want a 19 year old to be innocent, especially when he plays for their favourite team.

I have not made constant references to them still being together, you’ve made that up.

Eric_the_Red99

Club Instagram and Facebook pages are getting battered with negative post about letting Greenwood go.
I don’t use Facebook but the Instagram comments have always been a total bin fire, so I wouldn’t read too much into that. People just say any crap to get likes, whatever happens to be trending at that point in time - stuff like lame Maguire jokes or repeatedly saying “announce <latest transfer target>”. They also tend to blame the social media admin for posting stuff after a bad result. These aren’t intelligent people. Most of them probably couldn’t point to Manchester on a map either.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don’t use Facebook but the Instagram comments have always been a total bin fire, so I wouldn’t read too much into that. People just say any crap to get likes, whatever happens to be trending at that point in time - stuff like lame Maguire jokes or repeatedly saying “announce <latest transfer target>”. They also tend to blame the social media admin for posting stuff after a bad result. These aren’t intelligent people. Most of them probably couldn’t point to Manchester on a map either.
Sounds like some people on here, funnily enough

norm87cro

Quality control
Well its simple mate. If a person is abusive to you its a break up. You do not continue the relationship. Greenwood is obviously stupid but she is not Tina Turner by any means.
In a thread full of terrible takes this has to be one of the very worst. You’re accusing her of being abusive to him? Why? Because they got married? Have a word with yourself ffs.

Spaghetti

Mom's

Not convince me no. I am not convinced either way, how could any of us be with the little information we have? We can only reflect on personal experience and our faith in mankind.

There have been lots of claims of role play, I’m sure you can Google it.

Ahmer Baig

There was a thread about what I would have liked to see, but it's now locked. Let me answer that here.

Honest communication, true signs of repentance. Within a week of charges being dropped, Mason should have held a presser in United colors to offer whatever explanation legally possible. Apologize to the family. Apologize to his team. To his club. To his manager. To the fans. He should have told us if he loved his new family, and how he'd never let any harm befall them anymore. He should have said that he's offering 80% of the wages he's collected while suspended to a DV charity. He should have been vulnerable in measures he's taking to be better - the therapy he's receiving, the social good he wishes to do. And that he'll continue to do that for the remainder of his contract. United should have then released a statement stating that despite MG's presser, they would conduct an internal investigation. That as folks raising him since he was a child, they take responsibility for his mistakes, and will conduct an internal review and overhaul of the cultural systems in place so this can never happen again. They should apologize to the family, to the players, to the fans.

A week later, they could have released somewhat similar statements they did now - that they couldn't find any evidence to hold him guilty. He should have been on the tour, with the team. Training separately. Coming on for 5 minutes, repeat. After every game he should have stayed with the fans, taking the abuse, but apologizing. A shirt that says sorry. Hands put together in repentance. Just persist, show us how much you wish you hadn't hurt your family and everyone else. Put in the minutes, the grunt work to earn your spot back. Once the season began, he should do the rounds every game, take the abuse. And stay back again after every game to apologize. If he can win his wife over, make a public appearance with her - let people know she has chosen to forgive him, that the most important person in this situation truly thinks he deserves a second chance. Continue donating your wages, continue putting in the social work, continue trying to be sincere in your apology.

None of this may work, and he may not be able to make it. But at least we'd have appreciated him trying to show repentance. And the club for allowing him to do so. Not this shit show with DVs being flagged as hostile, and ambiguous statements as damage control.
This would have been the best way to handle this.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Well its simple mate. If a person is abusive to you its a break up. You do not continue the relationship. Greenwood is obviously stupid but she is not Tina Turner by any means.
Absolutely astonishing ignorance. Just google it, you'll educate yourself within a few minutes.

LARulz

I know some journo's are saying he will never play for United again (and nor should he) but the statement is quite vague and leaves it open doesn't it? If he goes out on loan and does well there (and we do shit), I wonder if they'll try and bring him back again

Giggsyking

It’s extremely easy to generalise, especially when you notice on Twitter that most of Greenwood’s vocal support came from Nigeria, which everybody noticed. So I could say some pretty damning things about the country and it’s people just as you have but i’m not going to generalise like that.
You already did.

Kramer

I know some journo's are saying he will never play for United again (and nor should he) but the statement is quite vague and leaves it open doesn't it? If he goes out on loan and does well there (and we do shit), I wonder if they'll try and bring him back again
Yes I think so too. Or a potential buy-back clause if we sell him.

norm87cro

Quality control
It is not that simple
Offcourse. If you are a Mufc potential player prehaps able of earning 150 000 a week you really dont want to break up with that person no matter how abusive he is to you

Spaghetti

Mom's
What you need to understand here is that you actively relish his guilt, whereas Spaghetti clearly has an unbiased birds eye view of the whole situation. Plus his girlfriend liked role play, so that's pretty definitive and you should apologise and leave the site.
It’s a discussion forum, and we are discussing something about which nobody knows the truth. We can talk nicely and reflect on our personal experiences. Some people will hope he’s guilty, and others will hope he isn’t.

Nobody’s opinions are definitive, nobody needs to leave the site if they don’t agree, and nobody needs to make patronising comments just because they don’t like another persons experience.

Only 2 people actually know the truth, and it’ll probably stay like that forever. You need to understand that before joining this discussion.

norm87cro

I dont want him in the team but the reallity is he is a young player with a lot of talent and she didnt break up with him.
If she did I would have had much more understanding.

padzilla

Hipster
There were rumours from another board that they were in a toxic relationship. If they released anything that made her look bad just to exonerate him, that would be even worse.
I find it hard to believe if that were the case, the couple didn't release a joint statement saying this wasn't what it looked like at first and we'd like privacy to get on with our lives etc.

The only reason I can think that didn't happen was because it was exactly what it looked like.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thing I don't get, even if you're the biggest Greenwood fan in the world, even if you think he's 100% innocent and should be playing first team football yesterday... is it actually worth all the craziness that will come with it? You might have your opinion, but you have to accept that lots of people have a very different opinion - and, whether you like it or not, there would be an insane backlash against United and MG himself.

Non stop articles, non-stop media pressure, ETH and players getting asked about it constantly, pressure on sponsors, pressure on advertisers, it would literally just be the story of our whole season, and possibly even longer... and at that point is Mason Greenwood really worth it? It'll be an absolute circus, and for what? A very good footballer sure, but hey, there are lots of very good footballers.

Smores

Christ its not a competition to get the worst post. But well done I guess.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Role play. People who are determined for him to be guilty will call bullshit. My ex was really into role play, which makes it easy for me to believe.
What part does leaking the “evidence” online play? For me this is where this logic breaks down. They surely would have known that once seen, his career would be in jeopardy never mind possible police action.

Ananke

There was no way back for him. Having the evidence so public is just damning to his career.

And then to have witnesses just drop out of no where. If it was roleplay, a statement would have popped up within the first week or so.

I believe in second chances, but not in a career where you are in the spotlight earning silly figures. You get one shot. Good luck to him and his partner as parents but no chance could he have represented Manchester United again.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It’s a discussion forum, and we are discussing something about which nobody knows the truth. We can talk nicely and reflect on our personal experiences. Some people will hope he’s guilty, and others will hope he isn’t.

Nobody’s opinions are definitive, nobody needs to leave the site if they don’t agree, and nobody needs to make patronising comments just because they don’t like another persons experience.

Only 2 people actually know the truth, and it’ll probably stay like that forever. You need to understand that before joining this discussion.
You have repeatedly stated that people who want him gone must 'want him to be guilty'. It's rubbish, and means you don't get to give advice to other posters on their conduct.

I know there is zero chance you will acknowledge this though.

Laurencio

The roleplay argument doesn't make any sense. If it was just roleplay that surely would have been published the very next morning.

"It was a private sex-game that accidentally got published online."

Oh, nothing to see here - young kids having sex, let's spend a few weeks discussing young people's view on sex these days and the suitability of making such a serious topic into a sex-game.

Instead we have messages of support, statements about trying times, CPS involvement, a witness statement that was later retracted and a 7 month process in which no-one has said anything about role-playing.

If it was consensual roleplay this story very likely would have been dead on arrival.

Those are fair points. I just don't understand why they don't release the evidence then. Thinking of it from even Greenwood and family point of view; releasing the information, clearing his name and becoming a main stay at United would have been a redemption story like no other.
I don't know, I think the likelihood is he did something we would not condone but was not criminal, which is not a good enough reason to destroy his career. That's just a guess though, maybe it's just highly personal to them and they don't want it released.

But really when in any other situation does anybody release evidence to show why somebody didn't do something. Why do we think we have the right to see it?

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Offcourse. If you are a Mufc potential player prehaps able of earning 150 000 a week you really dont want to break up with that person no matter how abusive he is to you
People in domestic violent relationships famously struggle to leave them. There's a lot of co dependency. It often takes many attempts to leave.

In this case the victim was massively failed by the system which allowed greenwood to breach bail and contact her.