Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The easiest explanation is that some further evidence came to light as to the character of one or more of the witnesses which would have meant that their credibility in a court of law, in the eyes of a jury, would be low. If this is so, this makes the chance of a conviction very difficult, notwithstanding the fact that Mason's GF didn't want to give evidence. This could have been anything; a key witness might have been shown to have a history of making up stories, or being auto-aggressive, or anything really. We don't know the full extent of it and we never will. The point is that there was never a case which the Crown thought could convict the man. He's therefore entitled to continue to enjoy a legal presumption of innocence, and should have never lost his job or had any sort of punishment applied to him. If you want to treat him as guilty, you're entitled to do so - but people should remember that he was never able to defend himself or to test the evidence in court before they do so. Anyone saying "Hes guilt of what we all think" is frankly jumping to a conclusion that there's no evidence to do so. The club acknowledged this, and have bowed to mob pressure; the same mob mentality which lynched innocent people in days gone past.
You know, you would have had a semblance of a point if it wasn't for the ridiculous hyperbole at the end.

That's the thing about you people whining about "mob rule" and all that, you just don't see how ridiculous you get with it.

Oh and you seemed to forget Greenwood admitted to mistakes which started all this btw, and the club statement said similar. Funny in your little speech you missed out that important part.

glasgow 21

Mob rule! Mob rule!

Christ you people are so childish it's unreal :lol:
Childish not. Nonsense, just happen to live in a real world. But if you are happy to have Simon Cowell with alleged social media accusation for celebrities and we can sit at home and vote thumbs up or down on the handset to their future existence I with you ,bring it on.

Redlambs

Childish not. Nonsense, just happen to live in a real world. But if you are happy to have Simon Cowell with alleged social media accusation for celebrities and we can sit at home and vote thumbs up or down on the handset to their future existence I with you ,bring it on.
What are you prattling on about now?

You sound like an old out of touch geezer angry at the world :lol:

Real Name

Role play, mob rule, some tosser even suggested it was because Greenwood was tired...

The amount of fried brain smell would be atrocious if we were all in a room discussing this :lol:
I've seen just the last 3 pages and I feel sick.

BerryBerryShrew

Miles too selfish and lacked any sense of team play.
That applies to Rashford too, and he carried our attack last season.

Whatever the opinions on Greenwood and whether he should or shouldn't play, there's no doubt in my mind that he would have been better than Rashford had this whole event not occurred.

I'm not entirely sure he still has that potential though - 1.5 years out of the game can really feck up development.

Redlambs

I've seen just the last 3 pages and I feel sick.
I don't think for one minute all these posters don't give a shite about dv and attempted rape, but people just really don't want to delve deeper and really think about the implications of their thoughts and words.

Especially those who claim that they are the only ones who really care about the woman, whilst simultaneously are inadvertently blaming her...

Rainy nights in Stoke

I'm a firm believer in second chances and that people can learn to be better. Shunning criminals is not helpful on a societal level, but (succesful) rehabilitation is. I also believe the club has a moral responsibility to aid people affiliated with the club, something which I think we generally do fairly well.

HOWEVER, Greenwood is a repeat offender, or at the very least a repeat douchebag (hippy crack episodes, and sneaking away on Iceland). There has to be some level of consequences, and 2 years away from football + a torrent of online abuse and hatred is probably quite a punishment already. I think the right step forwards would be a proper counseling/treatment program and treatment, to take real ownership and accountability for his actions, and grow and move on. That has to be dealt with before we can talk about any return to football. The club were in a unique position to take a strong stance on the issue of domestic violence and how to deal with it. Could just be a result of poor communication from the club, but it doesn't feel like the real issue has been dealt with at all.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
A lot of twitter reds under the Mason Greenwood trending thing I see want him brought back.

Some are fed up with the decision and have thrown some almighty cyber hissy fits. :D

That Phil de bruin mug said he might be packing this whole football lark all in. Jog on then see ya
That would be great. :drool:

TsuWave

Greenwood was considerably better than Januzaj - people don't have to rewrite how good he was.

In terms of output as a teenager in the prem, this is the company he was in:

Owen
Fowler
Rooney

He was a special player. Yes, there were still faults in his game but he was 18-19 years old doing bits for United - and his game was in an upward trajectory.

For reference, Ronaldo at 20 and 21 scored 9 and 12 respectively - and was still an understudy/sharing minutes with Ji Sung Park etc.

Carolina Red

Staff
In this real world you live in, does it also have the reality that around 3/4 of all sexual assaults go unreported?

Raven

That applies to Rashford too, and he carried our attack last season.

Whatever the opinions on Greenwood and whether he should or shouldn't play, there's no doubt in my mind that he would have been better than Rashford had this whole event not occurred.

I'm not entirely sure he still has that potential though - 1.5 years out of the game can really feck up development.
Rashford is nowhere near as selfish (he still is quite greedy) and never has been.

Raven

Greenwood was considerably better than Januzaj - people don't have to rewrite how good he was.

In terms of output as a teenager in the prem, this is the company he was in:

Owen
Fowler
Rooney

He was a special player. Yes, there were still faults in his game but he was 18-19 years old doing bits for United - and his game was in an upward trajectory.

For reference, Ronaldo at 20 and 21 scored 9 and 12 respectively - and was still an understudy/sharing minutes with Ji Sung Park etc.
In what sense was it in an upward trajectory? He scored most in his first season and declined from there on.

Shark

@NotShark
So the whole story has been called a role play here.

Cant believe it.

Actually, sadly, I can. :houllier:
Despite not a single person on Greenwoods defence team leaking anything of the sort in an attempt to debunk the audio and photos. Surely that would be all over the media if there was a semblance of truth.

Real Name

Despite not a single person on Greenwoods defence team leaking anything of the sort in an attempt to debunk the audio and photos. Surely that would be all over the media if there was a semblance of truth.
Yeah but you know one poster does role play with his wife so it looked similar to him....

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In this real world you live in, does it also have the reality that around 3/4 of all sexual assaults go unreported?
And that among those unreported cases, a fair amount concerns spouses.

jeff_goldblum

My mind boggles at these people who are seemingly old enough to be able to use the internet and write in full sentences, but who sincerely believe that the criminal justice system is the one true oracle of whether someone is a wrong'un.

Maticmaker

Did he jump or was he pushed... still not clear and does it matter?

Quite a few young men aged between mid teens to early twenties, have been allowed to get away with things that at 25 they would be locked up for....but thankfully they don't all work for Manchester United.
Maybe this licence to be a 'dickhead' that society extended to young males under the headings of 'sowing wild oats' and/or being a 'jack the lad' is coming to an end.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Most of the options you put are irrelevant given the club statement thought. The only 3 possibilities seem to be.

a) pay up his contract now
b) loan him with view to selling him later (or sit him on gardening leave until his contract expires if we can't find a loan club)
c) sell him now (or sit him on gardening leave until his contract expires if we can't find a buying club)

And does anyone really care that much which one it is?
I guess I'm quite fuzzy with my posts, had three people interpret it the same way yesterday. I am not curious about what people think the club should do now, but what the club should have done. So separate from the actual club decision. If it's not interesting enough, fair enough, but I'm curious.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Maybe?

No, it's one or the other. This is part of the problem in here, people aren't thinking through what they are saying.

And it's all going this way because people just won't see the crux of the matter and that is ultimately, whatever you think he is or isn't guilty of, Greenwood in his own words started this mess. And it's fine to have an opinion, it's fine to regret what has happened, but some posts in here are outright blaming the woman involved and trying to mask it, whilst also blaming "mob rule" or "cancel culture" or all the other trash buzzwords that are meaningless.

Ultimately what we do know for a fact is that Greenwood caused this, and the club have made it worse. But yeah, some just want to blame everyone else, including a potential DV and rape victim :rolleyes:
Yes, maybe. It’s not a black and white case, we don’t know the facts. However, the original post was rather ambiguous. There was no direct blame, there was no complaint to the police, which could scupper any charges of wasting time or lying etc.

I don’t think anyone is blaming the woman involved. We don’t always need to look for “blame”, we can calmly consider all possibilities; isn’t that what a forum is for?

Spaghetti

Mom's
Baffling.

So him and his lass would prefer the world to think there’s been domestic abuse rather than come clean about the RP aspect?

Makes no fecking sense. Your back must be broken with all your bending.
They don’t need to explain. They might have been advised against it in case there were repercussions for her, as has been mentioned in this thread.

Another point is that, whenever the role play possibility has been mentioned, everyone calls bullshit anyway, because they’ve already decided he’s guilty and want to ruin him.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm ON about the fact the CPS statement has nothing you has just claimed. It very clearly says key witnesses which isn't singular, as well as new evidence which you willfully skip over because it doesn't suit what your prefer to believe about the matter. I also love how the likes of you want us to believe the CPS 'can't prosecute you' even without the witness in chief, if the evidence against the defendant is as overwhelming as some of you would have us believe. As if they didn't already arrest him and charge him without the urging input of the victim of his alleged crimes.
Do you know how hard it is to obtain a conviction in DV or sexual assault cases? Do you think the complainant withdrawing their cooperation leaves any reasonable possibility of a conviction as the standard is beyond a reasonable doubt?

Even harder than making a rational argument about left footed penalty takers I'd say.

Redlambs

Yes, maybe. It’s not a black and white case, we don’t know the facts. However, the original post was rather ambiguous. There was no direct blame, there was no complaint to the police, which could scupper any charges of wasting time or lying etc.

I don’t think anyone is blaming the woman involved. We don’t always need to look for “blame”, we can calmly consider all possibilities; isn’t that what a forum is for?
But it is though isn't it? If he is innocent of those charges then she has falsely accused him.

Now the reasons for her doing so aren't black and white, but the basic case is one side versus another.

Unless you can do what all United and Greenwood's lawyers couldn't, and find an excuse that means no one is at fault?

BootsyCollins

They don’t need to explain. They might have been advised against it in case there were repercussions for her, as has been mentioned in this thread.

Another point is that, whenever the role play possibility has been mentioned, everyone calls bullshit anyway, because they’ve already decided he’s guilty and want to ruin him.
Or because they think the roleplay is bullshit and think he is guilty, from what they have heard/seen?

TsuWave

In what sense was it in an upward trajectory? He scored most in his first season and declined from there on.
He was not the finished product - imo, he had room and potential to get a lot better - he’d also featured as striker/leading the line a couple times rather than playing on the right and did really well with back to goal and link-up play. He was becoming a more rounded player rather than cutting in and firing off.

BootsyCollins

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I guess I'm quite fuzzy with my posts, had three people interpret it the same way yesterday. I am not curious about what people think the club should do now, but what the club should have done. So separate from the actual club decision. If it's not interesting enough, fair enough, but I'm curious.
If we start thinking what the club should have done then there are lots of options like d) do what they did today when the criminal case was dropped.

I'm not sure that will be useful or calm the current situation down.