Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

MDFC Manager

Very good performance. Hopefully an eye opener for the folks who were under rating him knowingly or unknowingly because of the off field stuff.

JeffFromHK

Great performance against Atletico Madrid, we should ignore the pressure and keep him.

Trequarista10

Seeing that we have no money to bring anyone in in January would you recall Greenwood?
No. Too soon. It'd cause mayhem, especially terminating the deal early. He needs to finish this season. In the summer, we should see what offers we get, and decide then if it's worth keeping him or taking the money. Plus other considerations, like the views of his colleagues (not just first XI, but all of the staff at Carrington). Plus Mason's own views, and his family's opinion. They may not want to return, it'd be understandable if they preferred to be abroad away from the press here. Plus, cynically, there are also implications with sponsorship to consider. If there is a return planned eventually, how that is done needs to be carefully considered. Would the club, the player and the family give statements? Will further details be made public in an attempt to to justify the decision? Or will they just try and quietly get on with it? What security adjustments might need to be made? All in all its too delicate an issue to even consider bringing him back now, if at all.

In January we could look at offloading someone. Hopefully Sancho. Maybe a surprise exit from someone else. If Saudis are keen, that'd pptentially raise a fair amount. We could explore potential swap deals involving Martial, maybe even Antony.

Okey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some sports people have gone on to become national heroes in this country after criminal conviction and even jail time. Why isn't a chance of redemption possible in this case? Honest question. After all, rehabilitation is the stated aim of many a criminal punishment (which this isn't).

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Correct me if I'm wrong, but some sports people have gone on to become national heroes in this country after criminal conviction and even jail time. Why isn't a chance of redemption possible in this case? Honest question. After all, rehabilitation is the stated aim of many a criminal punishment (which this isn't).
They first have to admit, remorse, do the time and then clean slate

At this moment I don't even think MG is even admitting he's doing what we all think he did. He just vaguely said he made mistakes, whatever that means

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
More whataboutery.
This was the original post:
At the same time, the high profile nature of this case means it's not your standard domestic abuse case. The CPS investigated for over a year before dropping the case, MUFC then did another internal investigation and concluded that Greenwood is not guilty - this verdict was supported by both her and, more importantly for me, her parents.
Your response addresses everything except the victim or her parents. That's why I asked.

It's clear to me you have no idea what the word whataboutery means.

Last edited:

JediSith

Strong praise from Griezmann. He’s gonna end up at Barca or Real. Barca most likely, but can see Real going in for him as a shrewd alternative to Halaand.

caleb2003

We are totally beholden to FFP so cannot bring anyone in, Sancho will have to go for a massive money loss. The club simply have to bring Greenwood back and stop pandering. The quality is not in doubt and the attitude should have abated. We are playing a 1/10th of the player in Anthony who has an open charge against him with no one caring ffs.

Performance today was brilliant but will not count statistically due to not being the direct assist maker yet it was mainly down to the chaos he caused that brought them two of the goals.

Red_Aaron

His ability to go left or right without hesitation and with the same level of quality is extraordinary.

What a player he could've been for us were he not a scumbag.

STYLOISRED

I find it funny people think he'll play for us again.
Football is a business. Getafe already proved that no matter how much heat comes initially, it basically fizzles out by week three. I can assure the club will give it another go next summer. With the way Antony is playing the club cannot afford to spend another penny on that position. Unless Amad comes good for us.

Yagami

Good post resistant
@flameinthesun

Just putting it here in case anyone missed @Dr. Dwayne 's post.

This isn't even every touch of his. 18 months out and already destroying one of the best teams in the league. So much so, he had Griezmann raving about him. Skinning player after player, passing with both feet, crossing the ball, creating chances for teammates and himself through individual skill, turning in his own half with multiple people on him instead of passing it back to the goalkeeper. Other performances where he scored, you could tell his general play was still lacking because he was still adjusting to a new team, a new country, and regaining his match sharpness and physicality back. This was the opposite.

STYLOISRED

Seeing that we have no money to bring anyone in in January would you recall Greenwood?
I said around September that I didn't expect him to actually start playing well until February. I'm genuinely surprised at how quickly he seems to be getting back to his best. By February/March I reckon he is going to be lighting that league up.

STYLOISRED

They first have to admit, remorse, do the time and then clean slate

At this moment I don't even think MG is even admitting he's doing what we all think he did. He just vaguely said he made mistakes, whatever that means
This has been discussed to death. He can't actually admit anything publicly because of the way the whole case came down to. The only indication of remorse we can glean is from his relationship- how he treats her and his child going forward. I don't know why people are expecting him to implicate himself or her by making any public gestures of remorse or guilt

Dannn411

@flameinthesun

This isn't even every touch of his. 18 months out and already destroying one of the best teams in the league. So much so, he had Griezmann raving about him. Skinning player after player, passing with both feet, crossing the ball, creating chances for teammates and himself through individual skill, turning in his own half with multiple people on him instead of passing it back to the goalkeeper. Other performances where he scored, you could tell his general play was still lacking because he was still adjusting to a new team, a new country, and regaining his match sharpness and physicality back. This was the opposite.
He ripped their RCB and RWB to shreds. To get back up to speed this quickly after not playing for 18 months is crazy both from a physical and mental standpoint.

Pes6Monster

That's why I asked.

It's clear to me you have no idea what the word whataboutery means.
I didn't quote 'Rood'. I quoted you.

Your post (in it's entirety):

What about the victim and her parents?
Whataboutery.

This rhetorical device has been answered, anyway. The subsequent decision of parents/victim is not conducive to United's decision making, as it'll set a precedent.

You cannot await subsequent reaction. You have to establish proof of innocence.

Of course, the attempted rebuttal here is that United's infamous 'internal investigation' supposedly established innocence, and rested the decision on 'Mason accepts responsibility for unspecified bad behaviour'. This is controversial as neither the police nor CPS established innocence.

Quite clearly, they daren't sack him as they'd risk a lawsuit for unfair dismissal but cannot justify taking him back, due to the obvious backlash. Ergo decision.

This isn't even every touch of his.
Em...

This has been discussed to death. He can't actually admit anything publicly because of the way the whole case came down to.
You can't truly be remorseful until you admit what you did. Like an addict, your treatment begins when you disclose the reality.

Strelok

@flameinthesun

Totally agree.

He didn't score or assist but this is his best performance so far imo. The thing is he made looked it so easy and natural. And he looked incredibly fast yesterday. The way he glided past their defenders is just so :drool:

Anyway reading the page. Imo some actually do not give a feck about moral. Because if you actually do you'll care about what's right and wrong. It's fecking obvious now it's mainly due to the new material that the police closed the case. Otherwise they could have closed it 10 months before after she withdrew.

All I see is an angry mob with hatred obsessed with justifying their ego by shitting on Greenwood and wishing him all the worst. Or simply can't accept they've been wrong. Even if they can not even be 100 % sure that he actually did it. And the police said he's innocent. That's utterly pathetic and ignorant imo.

Last edited:

Thiagoal

Overrated prick that has clowns creaming over him because of non-footballing reasons.

Thankful the club has enough good fans that there was a big enough backlash that this lad will never play for Man Utd again.
The backlash was mainly the media (who are ABU, and Rachel Reilly)

Greenwood was discussed in the pub prior to the Chelsea game and I’d say over 90% fans wanted him to come back.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
In a parallel universe somewhere united probably have a front three of a non sulking Rashford, a signed Haaland with his release clause and a non scumbag Greenwood.

I've said all along that Greenwood will play for United again, I'm still convinced that will happen.

Pes6Monster

The backlash was mainly the media (who are ABU, and Rachel Reilly)

Greenwood was discussed in the pub prior to the Chelsea game and I’d say over 90% fans wanted him to come back.
Facepalm emoji face thingy.

What next? The inebriated punters are 'the voice of the people'?

You can't truly be remorseful until you admit what you did. Like an addict, your treatment begins when you disclose the reality.
And all of that can be done in private, something that seems to get completely forgotten here.
He can have admitted to his family, her family, his partner, and have spent the past 20 months showing remorse.

None of what you demand needs to be played out in the public arena where one can put themselves in legal difficulties by doing so.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Getafe fans and hierarchy must be laughing their arses off. They just about avoided relegation on the final day, get to loan a world class talent for free (barely paying any of his wages), now competing for Europe and the interest in their club has exploded. Their official twitter account has gone from less than 20k to 220k followers. English account from 0 to 50k. Marketing wise just imagine the doors that suddenly open when you 10x your popularity in the world’s biggest sport overnight.

Some talk recently that they also have a 20 % sell-on clause? Sounds bonkers but it’s hard to differentiate between trolling and facts surrounding our club. We’re definitely dumb enough to agree to such a daft idea.

bdecuc

If he ends up at any other top club which we're supposed to be competing against they'd just have to shut down the football side of the club at that stage. The lunatics will truely be running the asylum.

Keep it going as a media content generator of some sort. Keep it going as a lovely cash cow for the rich. But don't pretend it would be a functioning competitive football club.

Homegrown generational talent? Sure. Investigated but not convicted of any crime? Sure. Opportunity for people to use him for societal and political points scoring? Asolutely.

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Totally agree.

He didn't score or assist but this is his best performance so far imo. The thing is he made looked it so easy and natural. And he looked incredibly fast yesterday. The way he glided past their defenders is just so :drool:

Anyway reading the page. Imo some actually do not give a feck about moral. Because if you actually do you'll care about what's right and wrong. It's fecking obvious now it's mainly due to the new material that the police closed the case. Otherwise they could have closed it 10 months before after she withdrew.

All I see is an angry mob with hatred obsessed with justifying their ego by shitting on Greenwood and wishing him all the worst. Or simply can't accept they've been wrong. Even if they can not even be 100 % sure that he actually did it. And the police said he's innocent. That's utterly pathetic and ignorant imo.
Do you believe that?

aeh1991

@flameinthesun

If we paid so much for Antony, imagine how expensive Greenwood would be if he wasn't a United player and we were interested. A joy to watch.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Loan him to a PL-side next season. See how he handle the abuse. Bring him back in the summer of 2025.

Pes6Monster

And all of that can be done in private,
Or publicly. Furthermore, if he has expressed remorse to her family it strongly implies he actually is guilty.

With no proven evidence of innocence, it's best he isn't hiding behind jurisprudence, or the narratives of 'social media court' or 'witch-hunt'.

Especially when his ardent supporters are adamant he is actually innocent.

Until such innocence is incontrovertibly proven, United have no choice but to remove him and move on without.

Last edited:

MiracleInMadrid

@flameinthesun

Refreshing to see a player just go at the opposition instantly at 00:10. No fear there. Seeks the opposition player in order to beat him and get past him. He could have just traveled up field nearer to the sideline, but by beating his man he creates a great situation for the team. He centers the attention of 4-5 oppositions which creates space for his teammates. It could have resulted in a big chance in the right side of the pitch, if they had taking better advantage of the situation.

Strelok

Do you believe that?
Yes.

I didn't know about the new material. Nor the fact that she withdrew 10 months before the police closed the case. So it was pretty much 'the police closed the case because she withdrew' and 'he must have coerced her into doing that' for me.

But with the new information (for me of course) now obviously the police didn't close the case just because she withdrew and I was wrong. Using a tiny bit of logic here and we'd see it's the new material who was the major factor in convincing the police that he didn't do it.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yes.

I didn't know about the new material. Nor the fact that she withdrew 10 months before the police closed the case. So it was pretty much 'the police closed the case because she withdrew' and 'he must have coerced her into doing that' for me.

But with the new information (for me of course) now obviously the police didn't close the case just because she withdrew and I was wrong. Using a tiny bit of logic here and we'd see it's the new material who was the major factor in convincing the police that he didn't do it.
The CPS categorically said there was 'no longer a realistic prospect of conviction'. That in no way equates to innocence, it reflects the fact the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material had undermined the prosecution's case. To me, the withdrawal of 'key witnesses', presumed to include his partner, given they're back together is the main thing, given the offences he was charged with can boil down to he said, she said. Believing that 'new evidence' exonerates him isn't borne out by the statements - it sounds more likely it potentially cast doubt, rather than proved innocence.
A CPS spokesperson said: “We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review. In this case, a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case."
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ors-drop-alleged-case-against-mason-greenwood
Anyway, we're going over old ground and people's views seem pretty entrenched at this point.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Very frustrating. We finally produce a genuine crack and he turns out to be a dipshit.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This has been discussed to death. He can't actually admit anything publicly because of the way the whole case came down to. The only indication of remorse we can glean is from his relationship- how he treats her and his child going forward. I don't know why people are expecting him to implicate himself or her by making any public gestures of remorse or guilt
Why can't he? If he didn't do it.

If he cant. Maybe he actually do it.

TheGame

The CPS categorically said there was 'no longer a realistic prospect of conviction'. That in no way equates to innocence, it reflects the fact the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material had undermined the prosecution's case. To me, the withdrawal of 'key witnesses', presumed to include his partner, given they're back together is the main thing, given the offences he was charged with can boil down to he said, she said. Believing that 'new evidence' exonerates him isn't borne out by the statements - it sounds more likely it potentially cast doubt, rather than proved innocence.

Anyway, we're going over old ground and people's views seem pretty entrenched at this point.
Sadly there is just a number of people who are simply clueless about the criminal justice system yet wade into the argument either way.