Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So why did the CPS say that it was (one of the reasons)?
Obviously it is one of the reasons, but clearly it's not the only reason as suggested by many.

The timeline and CPS mention of 'new material' suggests it's not the main reason either, seeing as she withdrew her statement in April '22 - 6 months before he was charged and a whole 10months before this case was closed.

Strelok

The CPS categorically said there was 'no longer a realistic prospect of conviction'. That in no way equates to innocence, it reflects the fact the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material had undermined the prosecution's case. To me, the withdrawal of 'key witnesses', presumed to include his partner, given they're back together is the main thing, given the offences he was charged with can boil down to he said, she said. Believing that 'new evidence' exonerates him isn't borne out by the statements - it sounds more likely it potentially cast doubt, rather than proved innocence.

Anyway, we're going over old ground and people's views seem pretty entrenched at this point.
Tbh this is too much for my juridical knowledge and obviously I have no idea what the police often say when they close a case. However I've never seen the police flatly say that someone is innocent I think.

Most of the time it's just a statement say hey we drop the case. Because of key witness withdrawing, or not enough evidence etc. At least here it's not the 'not enough evidence'.

And no way the police would drop the case just because they're back together mate. In an abusive relationship most cases the couple still stay together. I don't think the police would be that naive and stupid. And obviously that's not how the police and the juridical system work. No one could even remotely consider that some sort of evidence.

Anyway imo it's quite safe to state that we can't be even 50% sure that he did it. There's a lot of doubts however you want to put it. And when there's doubt it's not right to use that as a stick to beat someone with or to attack that one. That's just so wrong and too judgmental imo.

Edit: this case was based on hard evidence (the audio). So the bold part simply mean the new material was able to cancel the hard evidence (the audio) imo.

Last edited:

goalscholes

Anyone who’s older than 15 years old knows that the vast majority of fans will accept him fairly quickly, even most of the loudest keyboard warriors. People move on from these things, especially when people remember the personal is clearly far less important than football within the sport of… football.

I never loved Ronaldo the second time anywhere near as much, but he was accused of worse and people quickly moved on and cheered him (including me). And arguably leaked notes from his lawyers with the whole context are a much better source than a clipped audio tape with no context.

cyberman

Anyone who’s older than 15 years old knows that the vast majority of fans will accept him fairly quickly, even most of the loudest keyboard warriors. People move on from these things, especially when people remember the personal is clearly far less important than football within the sport of… football.

I never loved Ronaldo the second time anywhere near as much, but he was accused of worse and people quickly moved on and cheered him (including me). And arguably leaked notes from his lawyers with the whole context are a much better source than a clipped audio tape with no context.
Yep, he’ll be back. Look at Antony, you never hear a peep about that anymore.

Woziak

If there’s more information then release it and if this puts a different light on the case bring him back, Ronaldo was accused not once but twice. Sir Alex dealt with the first issue when Ronaldo was very young. However just because he might be a great footballer doesn’t mean that he should be accepted back unconditionally, let’s hear this extended audio then fans can make a more considered opinion based on all the facts because you simply just can’tpretrnd you never heard that original audio.

Woziak

Unless Real Madrid come calling, if we want to bring him back, he will be back.
United are still paying his wages or most plus they found a home in Spain where him and his family felt safe. If Sir Jim wants him back he’ll be back on this most united fans totally agree with you.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If there’s more information then release it and if this puts a different light on the case bring him back, Ronaldo was accused not once but twice. Sir Alex dealt with the first issue when Ronaldo was very young. However just because he might be a great footballer doesn’t mean that he should be accepted back unconditionally, let’s hear this extended audio then fans can make a more considered opinion based on all the facts because you simply just can’tpretrnd you never heard that original audio.
I still haven't heard the audio. I was good off the transcript.

And the fans don't need to hear any extended audio.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

unfortunately his performances are good and he has a skill we need. on that proviso, i’ll agree to bring him back, but only if we can also bring harold shipman back to help the nhs with their doctor crisis.

Woziak

As much as I agree with you some fans will not, we should be loaning him out to Barcelona and extending his contract on a one/two year option then sell for £50m next summer but we all know that not how United operate in the transfer market!

cyberman

The way SAF dealt with it and that infamous Christmas party would see him thrown out of the club in 2023

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Tbh this is too much for my juridical knowledge and obviously I have no idea what the police often say when they close a case. However I've never seen the police flatly say that someone is innocent I think.

Most of the time it's just a statement say hey we drop the case. Because of key witness withdrawing, or not enough evidence etc. At least here it's not the 'not enough evidence'.

And no way the police would drop the case just because they're back together mate. In an abusive relationship most cases the couple still stay together. I don't think the police would be that naive and stupid. And obviously that's not how the police and the juridical system work. No one could even remotely consider that some sort of evidence.

Anyway imo it's quite safe to state that we can't be even 50% sure that he did it. There's a lot of doubts however you want to put it. And when there's doubt it's not right to use that as a stick to beat someone with or to attack that one. That's just so wrong and too judgmental imo.

Edit: this case was based on hard evidence (the audio). So the bold part simply mean the new material was able to cancel the hard evidence (the audio) imo.
There are clearly doubts about what exactly happened, eg how many times and for long, no-one knows what happened after the audio recording cut out etc... The recording at the very least gives an insight into his character and actions though. If the doubts mean the episode shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him, it can equally be said that it doesn't mitigate the recording.

I am curious about how the club plays this though. They can't leave a decision til last minute, like in the summer.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
You can hope for mercy from an actual lynch mob but internet lynch mobs are more ruthless and just steamroll & destroy anything and everything in their paths. I don't know when did modern society turn from giving individuals chance at redemption to extracting pure revenge, but here we are. Even a 19-20 year old has no chance. It's ridiculous that he can have a career somewhere else but can't at United because when the incident happened he was under a contract here.

I hope he learns from whatever mistake he made and becomes a better human, and has a tremendous football career that does justice to his talent.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
@flameinthesun

Just putting it here in case anyone missed @Dr. Dwayne 's post.

This isn't even every touch of his. 18 months out and already destroying one of the best teams in the league. So much so, he had Griezmann raving about him. Skinning player after player, passing with both feet, crossing the ball, creating chances for teammates and himself through individual skill, turning in his own half with multiple people on him instead of passing it back to the goalkeeper. Other performances where he scored, you could tell his general play was still lacking because he was still adjusting to a new team, a new country, and regaining his match sharpness and physicality back. This was the opposite.
Looks a ridiculous performance to be honest. Don’t really understand how people underrate his talent.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That video looks like what people mock Mudryk for. For all the dribbling and skinning of players, the end product was absolutely dismal.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
@flameinthesun

Just putting it here in case anyone missed @Dr. Dwayne 's post.

This isn't even every touch of his. 18 months out and already destroying one of the best teams in the league. So much so, he had Griezmann raving about him. Skinning player after player, passing with both feet, crossing the ball, creating chances for teammates and himself through individual skill, turning in his own half with multiple people on him instead of passing it back to the goalkeeper. Other performances where he scored, you could tell his general play was still lacking because he was still adjusting to a new team, a new country, and regaining his match sharpness and physicality back. This was the opposite.
Club can't let this talent go to waste. We've had far worst characters play for this club. Trial by social media.

HookedOnAPhelan

Griezmann told DAZN: "It's a shame because we had made a great effort with ten. It's a shame that Savic makes two fouls and gets two yellow cards. In the end you hold on... Greenwood hurt us a lot, we couldn't stop him at the end of the game and two goals came."

I want him to do well. Not because I expect him to return, but because it hopefully means more money for us. And given he’s homegrown that would help a lot with FFP.

STYLOISRED

Why can't he? If he didn't do it.

If he cant. Maybe he actually do it.
Because this isn't a case of did he or did he not. It's not that simple as pointing a gun and shooting someone for example. We don't know any context. We don't know if the alleged victim embellished some of the facts making it harder for authorities to prove. We don't know the extent to which the alleged abuse occured. People want to believe that he can just give a statement of "I did it and I'm sorry" but he simply can't do that. He can't admit guilt no matter how sorry he his. Not just for his sake but hers too if she has decided that she wants to build a family with him.

You can't truly be remorseful until you admit what you did. Like an addict, your treatment begins when you disclose the reality.
Again, even if he was remorseful, he would never tell you or me. All we have to do is observe hid relationship with the alleged victim to see if there is any signs that he is doing what he is supposed to do. I feel he is very lucky that they are both very young people. Their families can come together and provide a very watchful environment for them. You want to believe that there is a singular path to redemption but thankfully there isn't. He is talented and whether it's at Man Utd or anywhere else I want him to grow a happy man willing to make that lady a happy woman. Because if she is willing to forgive him, then she is stronger than many are willing to give her credit.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
You can hope for mercy from an actual lynch mob but internet lynch mobs are more ruthless and just steamroll & destroy anything and everything in their paths. I don't know when did modern society turn from giving individuals chance at redemption to extracting pure revenge, but here we are. Even a 19-20 year old has no chance. It's ridiculous that he can have a career somewhere else but can't at United because when the incident happened he was under a contract here.

I hope he learns from whatever mistake he made and becomes a better human, and has a tremendous football career that does justice to his talent.
Yeah, this is all the fault of some "internet lynch mob".

What, exactly, does he need "redemption" for again? That "whatever mistake"?

You can't have it all ways. If people want to ask for redemption or second chances and all that, then surely you are suggesting he is quilty of something bad enough to spark all this and thus it's not a good look to act like those who don't want him back are actually the bad guys. Also, surely you have to acknowledge at least that any redemption would at least require some kind of contrition and acceptance from him? The fact it's all still being hidden away and both the club and he are willing to lose so much suggests once again that people really don't understand the depth of this.

Regardless of what any of us want or think, there's a reason this all happened and it's very likely we will never know truly what that is. But the fact remains, it did happen and we have to accept what Greenwood himself said in his statement. Because at least in there he admits fault for something, for starting all this:

"However, I fully accept I made mistakes in my relationship, and I take my share of responsibility for the situations which led to the social media post."

People should learn from him and stop looking for blame everywhere else.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Does anyone believe he is innocent?

Im not talking about from the legal perspective as we haven’t had a trial.

But does anyone having seen what is in public domain wholeheartedly believe he is innocent?

If so why?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That video looks like what people mock Mudryk for. For all the dribbling and skinning of players, the end product was absolutely dismal.
:lol: Does it feck.Whats is the point of commenting on his performances if you clearly can't stand the guy and cannot speak objectively?

Pes6Monster

Because this isn't a case of did he or did he not.
As far as the club is concerned, this is absolutely what matters.

Trial by social media.
Says the guy using social media (X) to further his argument.

Does anyone believe he is innocent?

If so why?
They believe it because he's a good player and we're currently shite.

There's a few other, deeply concerning, reasons in play, too, but Greenwood's talent and our access to it are the major reasons.

Same with Liverpool defending Suarez.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
If so why?
Because he's good at football, which makes it easy enough to convince yourself that he did nothing wrong.

I know there's nothing original in that observation, but it really is the way a lot think - I'm sure of it.

And another unoriginal observation: you can be sure that if he was a Liverpool or City player, some of the same posters would be saying he shouldn't be allowed play in the UK again.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
:lol: Does it feck.Whats is the point of commenting on his performances if you clearly can't stand the guy and cannot speak objectively?
The dribbling and skinning was excellent, yes, but how much of that video turns into absolutely nothing? Most of it.

Redlambs

People have different opinions on players all the time. That's literally the whole point of a discussion board, to discuss.

You clearly want the circle jerk of the performance thread back and are unwilling to engage properly with differing opinions. I still don't think that thread should be gone, I just think EVERYONE taking it off topic should have been kicked out, but then it would be empty anyway :lol:

Bwuk

It's depressing watching Antony play, and seeing Greenwood.

He'd be our best attacker if he was here.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Yep, this is all the fault of the person who took this to social media...
Didn't say that. I said people have decided everything about a person based on some selected posts on social media.

Everyone involved in the incident, including the victim, victims family, club, cps all Didn't have it as clear cut as social media warriors have it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The dribbling and skinning was excellent, yes, but how much of that video turns into absolutely nothing? Most of it.
I’m with you - his crossing was poor even if he did indirectly set up a goal - but we already know he has end product. He’s had end product already this season let alone when he was banging goals in for us at 18. You add this new dimension of dribbling and powerful ball carrying with the elite ball striking off either foot and I think you’re quite clearly left with a considerably better player than Mudryk.

Redlambs

Didn't say that. I said people have decided everything about a person based on some selected posts on social media.

Everyone involved in the incident, including the victim, victims family, club, cps all Didn't have it as clear cut as social media warriors have it.
And?

The fact is they are still willing to risk his future. That's not because of social media warriors, no matter how much you want to put blame elsewhere. Unless you think the club suddenly gives a shit about the fans magically on this one issue, yet continually shit on us when we make much bigger waves about other things.

I personally agree it's not clear cut and have my opinions on why, but there are certain things we know for a fact and all that speaks to something behind this that we will likely never truly know.

Remember the geese

Not really. He'd come to Everton and instantly be the best dribbler but that means nothing if your end product isn't there.
It's a compilation from a game, not a season. What were you expecting? 10 goals and 10 assists? Not to mention that his end product was there, seeing as he was involved in two of the goals. He'd easily be your best player.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
And?

The fact is they are still willing to risk his future. That's not because of social media warriors, no matter how much you want to put blame elsewhere. Unless you think the club suddenly gives a shit about the fans magically on this one issue, yet continually shit on us when we make much bigger waves about other things.

I personally agree it's not clear cut and have my opinions on why, but there are certain things we know for a fact and all that speaks to something behind this that we will likely never truly know.
Weren't there several reports of the club planning to bring him back, which led to backlash and then the completely opposite decision was made? We don't know what exactly happened and whether those initial reports were true, however from the outside it does seem the club cracked until the public pressure here.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah, some of the final balls are the sort you expect from a youth prospect with much to learn.

Still looks more useful than any of our forwards, which tells you all you need to know to make sense of this thread.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's a compilation from a game, not a season. What were you expecting? 10 goals and 10 assists? Not to mention that his end product was there, seeing as he was involved in two of the goals. He'd easily be your best player.
I just made a comment on the video that most of the dribbling and skills ended in nothing, despite it being excellent, which is something you need to get better at if you want to be seen as a top player. Apologies if you just want a circle jerk.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Am I missing something about that performance clip? He was great going past people and shooting, but there were several times where he just passed the ball to no one or selfishly shot from tight angles. We may be devoid of quality going forward on the right wing, so he would improve our penetration, but there are loads of examples that would have people tearing their hair out in the match day threads.
Only just saw this, but my thoughts exactly - more succinct though.

Strelok

There are clearly doubts about what exactly happened, eg how many times and for long, no-one knows what happened after the audio recording cut out etc... The recording at the very least gives an insight into his character and actions though. If the doubts mean the episode shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him, it can equally be said that it doesn't mitigate the recording.

I am curious about how the club plays this though. They can't leave a decision til last minute, like in the summer.
As some poster has said above about the current Israel Palestine affair and the media war around it a short video/clip can be very misleading imo it's quite hard to tell about the character of someone over some short audio record. I mean you can live with someone for years and still don't truly understand that one. And we don't even know wtf is that new material. So I also stop judging his character (used to think he was a narcissistic prick).

Agree it'd be interesting to see how the club would handle this. Good thing that we'd have a new management soon and they might be smarter than the current one. Who imo was utterly stupid and incompetent in handling the situation last summer.