Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Please bring him back. It's just football. Everyone has moved on. Him playing doesn't mean that we support domestic violence. This cancel culture needs to stop. Everyone does shitty stuff, ALL OF US. Who are any of us to judge another person. Especially if the court didn't.

It just means that we are giving a young man another chance. Think about the victim and their child and what will be best for them. Move to a random country or stay close to family. The club can actually use him to drive awareness and impact with domestic violence and positively impact society.
They aren’t on their own, greenwood was spotted with his dad going for a feed at McDonald’s (after the Getafe coach had asked all the players to not eat any more fast food). So at least his dad is there having Big Macs with him

TheGame

Please bring him back. It's just football. Everyone has moved on. Him playing doesn't mean that we support domestic violence. This cancel culture needs to stop. Everyone does shitty stuff, ALL OF US. Who are any of us to judge another person. Especially if the court didn't.

It just means that we are giving a young man another chance. Think about the victim and their child and what will be best for them. Move to a random country or stay close to family. The club can actually use him to drive awareness and impact with domestic violence and positively impact society.
Goodness me.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Arnold's statement only said that a longer version of the clip exists, something we have known all along. He didn't say anything about what the rest of the clip implied, or even that the club have heard it.
Correct.

As I've said before, there's no reason to think Arnold (or anyone at United) has heard the whole thing.

United's "investigation" apparently amounted to talking to Greenwood himself and talking to a member of the alleged victim's family (most likely her mother). They never interviewed the alleged victim herself, and the idea that Arnold has heard the full audio is entirely unfounded - I have never seen that confirmed anywhere.

The "wider context" of the clip (what we have all heard) that Arnold is referring to in his statement has been provided by Greenwood and said family member, not by Arnold having access to the full audio.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The club can actually use him to drive awareness and impact with domestic violence and positively impact society.
Heh. Yeah.

I mean, that would be grand. But unless United actually play that angle (and they never will, it's extremely unlikely), this looks like some kind of pure fantasy scenario.

The far more likely scenario is that United will indeed take him back (because he's a good player), and...they won't be making any statements about domestic violence.

(Because that would blatantly contradict Arnold's idiotic "open letter".)

Or, I guess - they won't take him back, because he's not that good and they would rather avoid the reaction from a PR perspective.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Arnold's statement only said that a longer version of the clip exists, something we have known all along. He didn't say anything about what the rest of the clip implied, or even that the club have heard it.
'More to' in the sense that the clip is longer than what was available publicly. And based on the post I replied to not everyone was aware of that.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The club can actually use him to drive awareness and impact with domestic violence and positively impact society.
No I'd rather we first focus on being a great* football team first thanks very much

We can donate money (a million quid per goal scored, heh) to Women's Aid and other organizations who are much better at raising awareness on domestic violence. Comparative advantage as the economists call it.

*in case you're confused, great = actual football quality, competing for trophies... not moral champions

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

No-one knows the answer to that except MG and his fiancee. People have a weird conviction that the couple returning to the same setting where the alleged abuse occured is definitely best for them.

Nep77

@flameinthesun

Just putting it here in case anyone missed @Dr. Dwayne 's post.

This isn't even every touch of his. 18 months out and already destroying one of the best teams in the league. So much so, he had Griezmann raving about him. Skinning player after player, passing with both feet, crossing the ball, creating chances for teammates and himself through individual skill, turning in his own half with multiple people on him instead of passing it back to the goalkeeper. Other performances where he scored, you could tell his general play was still lacking because he was still adjusting to a new team, a new country, and regaining his match sharpness and physicality back. This was the opposite.
I have seen a poster calling him wide poacher and limited on his game from outwide :lol:

redcucumber

No-one knows the answer to that except MG and his fiancee. People have a weird conviction that the couple returning to the same setting where the alleged abuse occured is definitely best for them.
Is it weird? I don't think it's a particularly weird notion that United as a club might be more motivated for Greenwood to work on his psychological issues than a club who wants him solely for his footballing output.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Is it weird? I don't think it's a particularly weird notion that United as a club might be more motivated for Greenwood to work on his psychological issues than a club who wants him solely for his footballing output.
That wasn't the question. It was whether it was better for the couple to be back in Manchester, rather than a 'random country'. Their situation in Manchester with where they lived, their friendship group etc...failed to prevent the alleged abuse happening last time, so it isn't a slamdunk best option. Whether being abroad is better or not who knows?
It's just idle speculation though, so a poor and pretty transparent argument as to why he should be back at United.

I need to stop opening this thread.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
This is a fair question, and my honest answer is that I don't know what to believe.

On the one hand, the evidence looks damning. However, it lacks context, and I can't image her family (let alone her father) standing behind him if he were abusing their daughter. I think it's possible they abused each other and didn't want to admit it, but it's all speculation at this point.
the fact he’s on 75k a week helps, if he was a random bloke working a standard job they would’ve kicked him to the curb months ago.

money makes people make stupid choices.

Yagami

Good post resistant
There's plenty of performance chat in the past few pages. It will depend on whether Getafe played recently, which they have.
For those of us who just want to talk about his performances, there's no point coming into this thread until new year now. His next game is against Rayo Vallecano on the 2nd.

I'm looking forward to it. He was brilliant against Atletico and I want to see him build on that performance. He had the Getafe manager, Griezmann and Spanish commentators all raving about him yesterday.

PSV

For those of us who just want to talk about his performances, there's no point coming into this thread until new year now. His next game is against Rayo Vallecano on the 2nd.

I'm looking forward to it. He was brilliant against Atletico and I want to see him build on that performance. He had the Getafe manager, Griezmann and Spanish commentators all raving about him yesterday.
so what, Rayo on the 2nd and then Wigan on the 8th? :angel:

Raoul

Admin
Staff

True. There are only two Getafe games (both in the first week of Jan) for the next month, so no point visiting this thread every day as it will be the same circular arguments.

RVN1991

Personally don't care anymore if he comes back or not, football is dead and we're a pathetic/desperate club that lacks decent players. I'm sure it will end well just like it has with most of the young attacking players we've brought into the club.

Phil Osophy

https://x.com/MarcusKnowsBall/status/1737266336814833987?s=20

Not sure how to embed tweets but here's a clip of his performance v Atletico
Is this what impressed people so much, seriously? I blame EtH and Antony for it.

By the way, what is he doing at 00:40? He can beat the press with a simple pass and he decides to run towards his own goal instead. Really odd.

I thought his 4 assists in 49 full games for United was about the kid being selfish but maybe he has serious vision problems. He should consider using a pair of contact lenses to exploit his potential.

The same at 1:49. There's a teammate alone in the middle and he decides to go for individual glory while being surrounded by Atletico players. Hey, and this is the highlights apparently. This guy lasts 10 minutes at any half decent club playing like that.

Checking his FBREF stats all he does this season is carrying the ball forward and shooting. His passing stats are so bad the graphics' bar doesn't even appear. Pretty low number of passes, mediocre passing completion, progressive passing is null. I understand he wasn't fit but his defensive stats are a literal 0 in every area. And the thing is I don't expect that to improve much because we know him already.

Now tell me which big club is going to sign a player who wants to beat the pressing like Maradona against England dribbling everyone from his own half of the field. A player who can't spot a teammate to save his life, with a blatant lack of creativity and shooting from any angle like he's possessed. Careless about the team dynamics, with some shady stuff off the field as the cherry on the cake. Top clubs place the bar way higher than this.

Greenwood is one of these classic 'wild talents' who play off their natural instincts and being isolated from the system. These anarchic players can win you a game in two sparks of talent as the ability to execute is there, buy they play the game under their own rules. You either take it or leave it. You can't make these players part of the collective machine as they don't have the interest and/or the capabilities, while football gets more and more systemic each day at the highest level.

On simple terms: No big team is going to become Greenwood's playground so he can play football as he pleases. The only teams where he'll be allowed that privilege are teams like Getafe and similar ones. I don't mean any offense when I say he found his level there.

Yorke to Cole

True. There are only two Getafe games (both in the first week of Jan) for the next month, so no point visiting this thread every day as it will be the same circular arguments.
Is there any strings you can pull to get the performance related discussion reopened?

Waynne

@flameinthesun

This isn't even every touch of his. 18 months out and already destroying one of the best teams in the league. So much so, he had Griezmann raving about him. Skinning player after player, passing with both feet, crossing the ball, creating chances for teammates and himself through individual skill, turning in his own half with multiple people on him instead of passing it back to the goalkeeper. Other performances where he scored, you could tell his general play was still lacking because he was still adjusting to a new team, a new country, and regaining his match sharpness and physicality back. This was the opposite.
My God

This is what we need from wide positions. If Martial can pull his finger out we'd have a dangerous front pairing of Garnacho, Martial and Greenwood. Antony needs some stiff competition for his position

hobbers

Tough to see he's now superior to all our inside forwards/wingers put together.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Not really. He'd come to Everton and instantly be the best dribbler but that means nothing if your end product isn't there.
can you imagine the damage he’d do at everton with gylfi assisting him?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Very interesting to see where people’s moral line is. Not one person on this forum doubted his ability as a footballer when all this kicked off. We all know what an incredible talent he is.

Nevertheless, I cannot forget the audio clip. This whole “there must be evidence to show that he’s innocent” is bollocks. If that was the case, United would have pushed to have it released to streamline his return.

I don’t have children yet but I couldn’t stomach watching him playing for the team I love after knowing what he’s done. My partner’s sister has unfortunately gone through what sounds like Mason did to his girlfriend, so it is far too close to home for me.

I completely understand that a lot of people on this forum will not give a shit about my view because at the end of the day they just want him back at the club, and want to have the attitude “ah she’s forgiven him, let’s all forgive him”.

If Antony, Martial, Dalot, McTominay etc did what he did - people would now want them back after hearing the clip. It just shows that people’s morals are swayed because they desperately want a world class talent in the team.

Football isn’t life. Thankfully I highly doubt that will ever see him in our team.

Eli Zee

Bring him back.. it's a football club. He plays football better than any of our forwards.

Every Greenwood goal/assist = £50,000/£20,000 towards domestic violence awareness/support.

This would be infinitely more helpful to victims of DV than letting him move on to another club, pretend it never happened and score goals.

It even helps his own partner who probably wants to live in England near family/friends over a foreign county.

redcucumber

That wasn't the question. It was whether it was better for the couple to be back in Manchester, rather than a 'random country'. Their situation in Manchester with where they lived, their friendship group etc...failed to prevent the alleged abuse happening last time, so it isn't a slamdunk best option. Whether being abroad is better or not who knows?
It's just idle speculation though, so a poor and pretty transparent argument as to why he should be back at United.

I need to stop opening this thread.
I thought that was a fairly reasonable back and forth.

Yagami

Good post resistant
My God

This is what we need from wide positions. If Martial can pull his finger out we'd have a dangerous front pairing of Garnacho, Martial and Greenwood. Antony needs some stiff competition for his position
I think Martial is as done here as Greenwood.

If we had everyone here, no baggage, all at their best, I'd want to see a front four of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Amad. Two reasons being, at their best, the M trio produced the football that has entertained me most this past decade, and, with Amad in there, he's someone who naturally drifts over to the right. I think that'd benefit us because what we're lacking out wide is combination play. Martial always drifted to the left as our CF which provided some great link up play with Rashford, and having the same on the right with Amad and Greenwood could've been fun. I think all 4 would've produced effective partnerships across the field.

I'd say that's as good as impossible, though. I think Greenwood is done here. I think Martial is, too, but, even if he's not, it seems that his body just can't handle football anymore. With Rashford, who knows. Things certainly aren't looking good. And not only could Amad not be good enough, he may not even ever get the consistent game time needed here to see if that's the case.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Heh. Yeah.

I mean, that would be grand. But unless United actually play that angle (and they never will, it's extremely unlikely), this looks like some kind of pure fantasy scenario.

The far more likely scenario is that United will indeed take him back (because he's a good player), and...they won't be making any statements about domestic violence.

(Because that would blatantly contradict Arnold's idiotic "open letter".)

Or, I guess - they won't take him back, because he's not that good and they would rather avoid the reaction from a PR perspective.
For me the worst case scenario is what you said: We don't take him back, sell him for cheap to a place where he tears it up, while ALSO not actually making a public stand as a club against domestic violence and instead just being quiet .

Either bring him back and deal with the consequences, or go full scorched earth and denounce it all while binning him, but I really hope we don't just take some weak middle road.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Bring him back.. it's a football club. He plays football better than any of our forwards.

Every Greenwood goal/assist = £50,000/£20,000 towards domestic violence awareness/support.

This would be infinitely more helpful to victims of DV than letting him move on to another club, pretend it never happened and score goals.

It even helps his own partner who probably wants to live in England near family/friends over a foreign county.
Swing and a miss.

El Jefe

The microanalysis of the highlights video is pretty funny. As someone who watched the full game, he was seriously impressive, something that was echoed by Griezmann who actually played in the game.

Downplaying the performance is a bit silly especially given the context. To play that well so soon after returning is what makes it more impressive and most importantly his role at Getafe. He plays wide almost like an old school winger positionally and is pretty removed from the front two so he has a much bigger creative responsibility than he ever had here. We all know Greenwood is a play finisher but Getafe are requiring him to be a playmaker also which is pretty new for him.

It would be easier for some of you to just admit you think he's a cnut and will not be objective because you can't praise him given his off field actions. That is totally fine.

Pickle85

The microanalysis of the highlights video is pretty funny. As someone who watched the full game, he was seriously impressive, something that was echoed by Griezmann who actually played in the game.

Downplaying the performance is a bit silly especially given the context. To play that well so soon after returning is what makes it more impressive and most importantly his role at Getafe. He plays wide almost like an old school winger positionally and is pretty removed from the front two so he has a much bigger creative responsibility than he ever had here. We all know Greenwood is a play finisher but Getafe are requiring him to be a playmaker also which is pretty new for him.

It would be easier for some of you to just admit you think he's a cnut and will not be objective because you can't praise him given his off field actions. That is totally fine.
What's a play finisher?

goalscholes

Can we please win a moral team premier league title to justify our existence, if we’re going to ignore the football?

I’d take a few fair play trophies. Maybe create a new pat on the back award. We’d be a shoo in for our noble duty of assuming people are victims when they say they aren’t, and for progressing the influence of the court of public opinion over the legal system.

Pablo76

@flameinthesun

Thanks for posting this, it’s good to see that he still has barely any end product or vision and that we’re not missing anything.

Ollie Derbyshire

He’s going to be playing at a high level for a long time and whoever picks him up will obviously go with the redemption arc and how it can all be turned into a positive for domestic abuse.

Why shouldn’t we do that? It’s a tough one but I think we should bring him back next year and try and turn it into a positive story.