Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

cafecillos

A question for the Greenwood outers/ those who are not sure.

Imagine he signed for a team like Barcelona this summer, and spent the next three seasons being one of the best in the world: being nominated for the balon d’or, 35+ goal interventions etc. then left them on a free transfer. No other criminal charges, was still with his child’s mother, kept his head down and seemed much more down to earth.

Would you take him back then?
Throw in the permanent cure for all cancers and I may be sold.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If the club had evidence that pointed to him being guilty then yes I am sure he would have been sacked. The club would have saved a lot of money in wages and it actually would have been the easy option compared to the ongoing issue that we have now.

Greenwood's value is pittance compared to the £5bn brand value of Manchester United - that is the most important asset value that they want to protect (especially at a time when they were looking for investment). The negative publicity outweighing the player's value is exactly why he was sent away on loan despite the internal investigation finding him not guilty.
With no conviction sacking him would have risked a legal case and no doubt they also wanted to not let him go for zero $. The idea that they didn't sack him because they genuinely though he did nothing wrong is a best naive.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Imagine he signed for a team like Barcelona this summer, and spent the next three seasons being one of the best in the world: being nominated for the balon d’or, 35+ goal interventions etc. then left them on a free transfer. No other criminal charges, was still with his child’s mother, kept his head down and seemed much more down to earth.

Would you leave him alone in a room with your girlfriend, daughter or sister?

Fridge chutney

Nope.

luke511

I'm more interested in what we can fetch from selling him. If it's close to his footballing ability it'll be above 50m surely. Is that realistic? That would go quite far in fixing our FFP issues and we might not need all the 230m or whatever it is in sterling to go towards some minor OT improvement.

If he is sold this summer is that clause with Getafe still active, i.e. they cash in 20% ?

edit: I also think it's best for him and his young family to get a fresh start elsewhere
I don’t think any club will be paying what we want for him, based off of his current and potential ability. Some think he’ll be sold for around 20 million, even less, there’s no way. The club owners will prioritise success on the pitch and good business, and selling him at a large discount means we’re losing out in those two categories. If someone comes along with an offer around 60 million then I think the club will seriously consider it, but I don’t see it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
With no conviction sacking him would have risked a legal case and no doubt they also wanted to not let him go for zero $. The idea that they didn't sack him because they genuinely though he did nothing wrong is a best naive.
That's not true as a company has a much lower bar for dismissal than a criminal case needs for conviction - that's exactly why they had to go through the rigamarole of an internal enquiry.

In the end it all depends on what evidence they uncovered which we are not privy to.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That's not true as a company has a much lower bar for dismissal than a criminal case needs for conviction - that's exactly why they had to go through the rigamarole of an internal enquiry.

In the end it all depends on what evidence they uncovered which we are not privy to.
There were no grounds to terminate his contract especially when the club had supposed evidence of his innocence

The club would be sued just like Mendy has started a legal case against City

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
On the poll, a third 'Maybe' option should be added.

Although some probably think my answer would be 'Yes', I would not take him back today but I am open to it happening depending on various factors.

He needs to complete the season in Spain to prove himself on and off the pitch and then there has to be some kind of PR interview to deal with the negative publicity.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
There were no grounds to terminate his contract especially when the club had supposed evidence of his innocence

The club would be sued just like Mendy has started a legal case against City
Well exactly

And that's because City stopped paying him before the criminal case ended, United did not so it's not the same.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We were at near 50/50 during our last poll here, so would be interesting to see if there’s been any movement since the loan.
I think a lot of people (on here) would be interested in a (new) poll.

Maybe add it to this thread (we clearly do not need a new/separate thread).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Of course it is true. They could have sacked him and faced his lawyers down but they didn't have to given the criminal case didn't progress.

If there was any meaningful evidence that the recording wasn't exactly what it appeared it would have been leaked left right and centre, even assuming there was some reason not to just state it.

It's B Rubble

Would you leave him alone in a room with your girlfriend, daughter or sister?
So according to you he’s always going to have this insatiable appetite for sexual violence (allegedly) whenever alone with a person from the opposite sex? The absolute state of your post :houllier:. You think a teenager must live with decisions they’ve made as a non fully developed human being, for the rest of their lives? No chance for reconciliation or rehabilitation.
No chance for repentance for their sins. Nope. My guess is you think CR7 would force his way onto any woman he was left alone with. I stole a candy bar when I was 14, can I not be trusted in a candy store alone decades later?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
They probably don't. But it works in an argument-from-authority sort of way. United carried out a solid, professional investigation (an actual lawyer was involved!) and concluded Mason was not guilty of the original charge(s). End of, yeah?

Obviously not.
I gave you the info that you were unaware of that showed you were wrong in your assessment about how limited the internal investigation was - strange that you ignore it completely and carry on though

pauldyson1uk

No and its not even a hard question, he can go where he wants an win the fecking lot for all I care.
I have said it before and I will say it again, I dont not to ever want to see him in a United shirt again, if he does come back, that will be me done watching United while he plays.
I dont care who does not agree with me or not, I will never watch a single second he plays or give a toss what he wins.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
So according to you he’s always going to have this insatiable appetite for sexual violence (allegedly) whenever alone with a person from the opposite sex? The absolute state of your post :houllier:. You think a teenager must live with decisions they’ve made as a non fully developed human being, for the rest of their lives? No chance for reconciliation or rehabilitation.
No chance for repentance for their sins. Nope. I stole a candy bar when I was 14, can I not be trusted in a candy store alone decades later?
No one has removed any chance of that for him, he's still playing professional football and still earning millions from it, the rest is up to him, he has full ability to fix this situation if his innocence is true but he continues to not want to do that.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Of course it is true. They could have sacked him and faced his lawyers down but they didn't have to given the criminal case didn't progress.

If there was any meaningful evidence that the recording wasn't exactly what it appeared it would have been leaked left right and centre, even assuming there was some reason not to just state it.
You clearly don't understand how internal company investigations work - it's completely seperate to the criminal case with completely different levels for grounds for dismissal.

And the last bit is total speculation on your part and you won't be surprised to hear that I disagree completely - several reasons have been given for why that might not happen.

Pickle85

No chance for repentance for their sins. Nope. I stole a candy bar when I was 14, can I not be trusted in a candy store alone decades later?
Was he even a teenager when this all happened? Also, nice job equating stealing a candy bar with sexual violence. Posts like this are ridiculous.

Pickle85

If the reason why you won't take him back now is the audio/pictures (that remain unexplained/paint him in a certain light), then it - obviously - shouldn't matter what he does on the pitch.
I wouldn't personally take him back at any point myself, but I can also see why some may if he's demonstrated that he's genuinely rehabilitated (obviously tricky to know based solely on what the public would see but I can see why folks may).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You clearly don't understand how internal company investigations work - it's completely seperate to the criminal case with completely different levels for grounds for dismissal.

And the last bit is total speculation on your part and you won't be surprised to hear that I disagree completely - several reasons have been given for why that might not happen.
Funny given I've been connected to such internal company investigations a couple of times.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
This has become such a poisonous topic. I generally don't care about the lives of footballers, so I instinctively want to vote "Yes". Thing is, if I do I'll be branded as someone who condones his actions, which couldn't be further from the truth. It's an anonymous vote, but not really, now is it?

It's B Rubble

No one has removed any chance of that for him, he's still playing professional football and still earning millions from it, the rest is up to him, he has full ability to fix this situation if his innocence is true but he continues to not want to do that.
He’s most likely been advised to lay low and not cause any distractions whilst abroad. We love Ryan Giggs and CR7.. I don’t remember their “please take me back” speeches.

Last edited:

Pickle85

There are people here that understand teenagers are incredibly stupid and make awful decisions and others that want to vilify them

He’s most likely been advised to lay low and not cause any distractions whilst abroad. We love Ryan Giggs and CR7.. I don’t remember their “please take me back” speeches.
I don't think you'll find many here who love giggs, and have you actually been into the Ronaldo thread?!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No chance for repentance for their sins. Nope. My guess is you think CR7 would force his way onto any woman he was left alone with. I stole a candy bar when I was 14, can I not be trusted in a candy store alone decades later?
Interesting that you think shoplifting a chocolate bar is the same as an (alleged) sexual crime/offence/event.

I think an adult who is capable of saying what Greenwood did and continues to maintain they did nothing wrong is not someone I would trust, nor want as any part of an organisation I am connected with.

pauldyson1uk

Interesting that you think shoplifting a chocolate bar is the same as an (alleged) sexual crime/offence/event.

I think an adult who is capable of saying what Greenwood did and continues to maintain they did nothing wrong is not someone I would trust, nor want as any part of an organisation I am connected with.
nail on the head.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Question back. Would anyone want him anywhere near us if he wasn't good at football?

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
There are people here that understand teenagers are incredibly stupid and make awful decisions and others that want to vilify them

Please don't speak for me, you couldn't be more wrong on that.

It's B Rubble

Was he even a teenager when this all happened? Also, nice job equating stealing a candy bar with sexual violence. Posts like this are ridiculous.
I forget you had a chair in the corner of the room and watched everything go down while being a third wheel in their relationship and documenting every detail. I mean apparently I could’ve gone down the wrong path and stolen the Mona Lisa if I was ever alone with it. Ridiculous to you, reality for many.

cafecillos

For all the complaints about the circular arguments in the thread it's certainly funny the number of posters who haven't read the thread, didn't understand what they read, or didn't give a shite and posted their hot take regardless.

pauldyson1uk

Do we, I certainly dont, both excellent no WC players, but lets be honest Giggs is not a nice person, CR7 is a man i dislike intensely.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'd be open to having him back depending on the circumstances, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I "want" him back (and I think if we're able to get a reasonable fee, a fresh start would probably be best for all parties) - so I won't be voting on the poll as it's currently worded.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

I’d argue that the very public nature of this case adds a level of complexity that most internal investigations never have to consider. And so while* I agree with you that there are absolutely different levels here we’ve got a particularly weird case. For starters in most companies you are not an asset on their books.

If United come out and say contract terminated they are essentially saying he’s guilty and I’d argue open themselves up far more than if they just say we don’t think he did it and try and sweep it under the rug. Especially given charges are dropped United have very little incentive to act as judge and jury.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

No?

FortunaUtd

Not that either Man United's or Greenwood's statements were satisfactory, but Greenwood did, albeit vaguely and nebulously, admit to "making mistakes"..
However, I fully accept I made mistakes in my relationship, and I take my share of responsibility for the situations which led to the social media post.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38232851/mason-greenwood-leave-man-united-club-investigation

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I gave you the info that you were unaware of that showed you were wrong in your assessment about how limited the internal investigation was - strange that you ignore it completely and carry on though
You didn't provide any info I was unaware of.

As you very well know, this is a question of how you interpret that info: United carried out a certain investigation as per United's representative (that's the info you have provided, via the Athletic).

Your take on it is that United carried out a thorough investigation - and you're satisfied with their conclusion. Fine, good for you.

My take on it is that United carried out a limited (they were not privy to all the evidence) investigation - and I'm not satisfied with their conclusion. Not least because I understand (as I would hope you do too) that United obviously have a vested interest in making Greenwood look good, or as good as possible under the circumstances.

ETA Let me ask you this, directly: What's your take on this whole thing, what do you think happened here?

My take is this:

He slapped her around, abused her, threatened her (like we hear in the audio).

(They probably had a stormy relationship, she may have been less than nice to him at times too, they were essentially a pair of stupid kids in a relationship on display on Instagram with thousands of followers, that whole thing.)

She had enough at a point, and went public with it.

He was charged and that whole nasty business happened. But: it happened because he actually did slap her around, abused her, threatened her and so forth.

They got back together again, as many couples do after domestic violence/abuse. She forgave him for his transgressions, you could say. She withdrew as a witness in the on-going case. They had a child. And here we are. Standard stuff, really - happens all the time, only difference is they're famous because he's a United player.

My take, for what it's worth (it's obviously speculation).

What's yours?

Last edited:

It's B Rubble

Well you are making assumptions based on one sided evidence. 3 sides to a story. You have no clue what their private life is like but here you are. If he was convicted and sentenced, absolutely screw him. Unfortunately, he now has a family with his “accuser”. You don’t know what her intentions were when all this came out and you don’t know what he actually did. Hopefully he comes out with a statement at the end of the season but I doubt people like you care about the truth because we surely have no idea what that even is at this point.