Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think the use of "defending him" by some posters, and this may or may not apply to you, is done so as to make it appear that some posters are supporting him (whether rightly or wrongly). Unless I'm mistaken, I have not seen anyone defending anything he may have potentially done and/or defending DV etc. There are people defending their stance on the matter which is not synonymous with defending Mason Greenwood. So it would be more accurate for you to ask "why are some people defending their personal stance?", which should in itself be clear. Not everyone will come to the same conclusion as yourself and they have a right to defend that position when under attack. However, saying people are defending Mason Greenwood is pretty dishonest.
How would you describe those who say “I don’t care”?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Unless I'm mistaken the poster didn't say they don't care whether Greenwood did or didn't do it or took that stance. Am I wrong in that regard? happy to be corrected if I've missed something.
There’s been a poster or 2 who have said that they don’t care, they only watch football.

flameinthesun

There’s been a poster or 2 who have said that they don’t care, they only watch football.
Which unfortunately would probably represent the majority of the United fan base, based on their reaction to Ronaldo returning. I think the majority of fans and people likely fall into the "I only watch football camp". In fact I'd say the majority of fans of any club likely fall into that category as there are countless other examples in the likes of Partay, Alonso etc.

However, my point was in relation to accusations that there are loads of poster's defending Greenwood, DV etc and labelling posters who have a resonable positions (whether you agree with it or not) as defending greenwood or dv. Saying if United have investigated and feel comfortable to bring him back then so be it, that is not a defence of greenwood. There has been interesting positions taken on the topic but for the most part those who were popping in going "bring him back at any cost" etc seem to have been well policed.

Fridge chutney

I think the use of "defending him" by some posters, and this may or may not apply to you, is done so as to make it appear that some posters are supporting him (whether rightly or wrongly). Unless I'm mistaken, I have not seen anyone defending anything he may have potentially done and/or defending DV etc. There are people defending their stance on the matter which is not synonymous with defending Mason Greenwood. So it would be more accurate for you to ask "why are some people defending their personal stance?", which should in itself be clear. Not everyone will come to the same conclusion as yourself and they have a right to defend that position when under attack. However, saying people are defending Mason Greenwood is pretty dishonest.
I didn't read this when i first read your post (i only read the first 3 lines originally).

Yes, it would come across as me being dishonest if you invent a scenario from my post then say that the thing you made up is an example of me being dishonest.

iHicksy

I see both sides of the argument.

On one hand I wonder if the same people who don't want him back would have wanted a 35 year old Ryan Giggs, kicked out of the club when his numerous allegations came to light?

On the other hand, would the people that want him back say the same if we were in our prime and winning everything with a star studded squad?

brontelicious

On one hand I wonder if the same people who don't want him back would have wanted a 35 year old Ryan Giggs, kicked out of the club when his numerous allegations came to light?
not quite the same thing

Giggs' 'numerous allegations' refer to a consensual relationship with somebody he shouldn't

with greenwood, there is evidence he threatened his partner with sexual violence

take sixty plus million and move on

iHicksy

not quite the same thing

Giggs' 'numerous allegations' refer to a consensual relationship with somebody he shouldn't

with greenwood, there is evidence he threatened his partner with sexual violence

take sixty plus million and move on
Is it not? Giggs went to court with two further charges of assault. Greenwood never made it to court.

What's the difference in your eyes?

"Ryan Giggs grabbed his ex-girlfriend by the shoulders and headbutted her after she earlier confronted him about his serial love cheating, a court heard.

PR executive Kate Greville said in the lead-up to the alleged assault in November 2020 she had learned he had "full-on relationships" with eight women while they were together."

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Have to say that if someone offered £60m today for him, Id take it - hopefully he improves further second half of the season and gets his value up

Although there will probably be even more clamour to bring him back in that case

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Have to say that if someone offered £60m today for him, Id take it - hopefully he improves further second half of the season and gets his value up

Although there will probably be even more clamour to bring him back in that case
If his valuation more than 50m, it would probably be because he's playing well enough to justify it, in which case there would as you say, be pressure to consider bringing him back.

Yagami

Good post resistant

If he's 100% done here, sure. If there's any chance of bringing him back and integrating him back into the squad, I wouldn't sell for less than 100+m because I still think he can become that good, and we should demand more if we see a future for him here.

BristolMick

Not sure if redcafe.net run any events or provide any support for charities. Or maybe have charities of the year which donations go through too.

I think giving the strong views and opinions on this subject that maybe it would be beneficial for something good to come out of it and for members to put their money where their mouth is. Maybe something could be arranged with funds going towards a charity which works in the domestic abuse sector?

Hampton Trust would be my proposal as I think they'd do excellent work in the field of domestic abuse both supporting and safeguarding victims and families while also offering rehab and support groups for abusers too (which have seen reductions in reoffending by as much as 35%).

The reason I select Hampton Trust is because I think it's a charity everyone can get behind and I think for those of us with strong views on rehabilitation that they do alot of good work in that sector too with tremendous results.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
For anyone that thinks we'll get over £30m for him. Who do you think is going to buy him for that?

BristolMick

For anyone that thinks we'll get over £30m for him. Who do you think is going to buy him for that?
People think Rashford is worth more than 30 million and when it comes to talent and potential, greenwood is much better than Rashford.

I think due to the hysteria around Greenwood that clubs may lowball if they think we're in a position where we have to sell. But at his age and with his talent, I personally think he's worth more than 30 million providing he can keep his head down and focus on onfield activities rather than offfield.

When you look at the sums paid for lukaku in recent years. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big European side go in for greenwood and pay 30 mil of more.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think he potentially is but not at the moment. Though, before all this came out, it probably would've took around that amount for us to even entertain the idea of selling him.

I'm going to compare him to Rashford. When I look back at his two best seasons here (19/20 & last season), I think it would've took a bid of over £100m for us to sell the following seasons, and I personally think Greenwood can still become better than Rashford was in those two seasons.

It just depends on if we want rid and, if we do, how desperate we are to sell him ASAP.

neon_badger

Surely getting suspended by his own club for the best part of 18months and also getting dropped by England for breaching covid rules is going to drive his price down, he wasn't that great to begin with, he showed potential but offset the off field issues against his potential and we'll do well to get much for him, we should take what we can get and move on, there's lots of work to do at the club and rehabilitating Greenwood shouldn't be a consideration, we've got loyal fans that have been left in the wilderness for a decade, we deserve better.

RedCurry

I see both sides of the argument.

On the other hand, would the people that want him back say the same if we were in our prime and winning everything with a star studded squad?
That is a different conversation though. We wouldn’t want any of our loaned players coming back if they weren’t an upgrade on what we already have. That would be a footballing decision. Majority of posters who want him back are likely basing that strictly on footballing reasons. I don’t think anyone condones his actions in the past regardless.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Hyperbolic, the quote was "Greenwood hurt us a lot, we couldn't stop him."
Its pretty rare for an opposition player to talk about someone at all, nevermind in positive terms

Can't remember any of our players commending an opponent in recent times

Dion

Its actually you who are disregarding the evidence available to us, lots of info has come out in the past 12 months that you are choosing to downplay/ignore (I won't bother repeating what it is as I'm sure you know).
No, please do. I'm genuinely curious what you think you've heard.

RuudTom83

Lets see what the new regime can do in terms of player sales...I see no reason why the club can't make a big profit on the sale of Greenwood this summer.

sepulturite

No, please do. I'm genuinely curious what you think you've heard.
He hasn't heard anything new, none of us have, so I don't know what any one that brings that up is talking about. There was statements released saying that "new evidence has come to light", but none of us in the public know what that is and some are just lapping it up and basically acting like they know what it is. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that was just all PR.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
He hasn't heard anything new, none of us have, so I don't know what any one that brings that up is talking about. There was statements released saying that "new evidence has come to light", but none of us in the public know what that is and some are just lapping it up and basically acting like they know what it is. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that was just all PR.
PR? From the CPS?

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

That's the problem, half the people here don't even understand the basic facts and timelines of this case.

sepulturite

PR? From the CPS?

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

That's the problem, half the people here don't even understand the basic facts and timelines of this case.
I know exactly what I'm talking about thanks. You believe what you like, you have a clear agenda in this thread so I couldn't be arsed with you anymore.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Its pretty rare for an opposition player to talk about someone at all, nevermind in positive terms

Can't remember any of our players commending an opponent in recent times
It was praise, from a top player of course, but the context is important of discussing how they couldn't hold on to the lead with 10 men. Drooling is a massive oversell of what he said.
Sounds like drooling to me, bit like Rio on Berbatov.
Fair enough, I disagree.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I know exactly what I'm talking about thanks. You believe what you like, you have a clear agenda in this thread so I couldn't be arsed with you anymore.
Yes I have an agenda to make sure people like you understand the actual facts

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It was praise, from a top player of course, but the context is important of discussing how they couldn't hold on to the lead with 10 men. Drooling is a massive oversell of what he said.

Fair enough, I disagree.
The Getafe player of the month award plus praise from Griezmann does show he's doing well, still Id expect to see further improvement before thinking he's ready to return to Old Trafford

He's probably not hit full fitness yet - Getafe coach had said he expected to see the best from him in 2nd half of the season so we shall see