Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

parmenio

There is absolutely no way back for him at the club. £50m for him in the summer and thanks goodbye and good luck. Then this chapter over and he’s someone else’s problem.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
On the contrary, if the poster is contributing to the discussion in the thread and not overstepping the mark then whether they post in here or not shouldn't be a factor in them getting promoted.
I'm not a mod.

But if half your posts - as a newbie - are made in the same thread, and you constantly argue pretty much the same point, well: that probably isn't a good look. It comes across as obsessive.

Better to step back and contribute elsewhere.

I'm giving the person tactical advice here (whether I should or not - probably shouldn't, with my luck they'll turn out to be a lunatic), I'm not judging their general posting style.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I'm not a mod.

But if half your posts - as a newbie - are made in the same thread, and you constantly argue pretty much the same point, well: that probably isn't a good look. It comes across as obsessive.

Better to step back and contribute elsewhere.

I'm giving the person tactical advice here (whether I should or not - probably shouldn't, with my luck they'll turn out to be a lunatic), I'm not judging their general posting style.
This is sound advice for newbs.

uwotm8

We will undoubtedly need forward competition and rotation to deal with the fixture congestion and quality required for a good next season. Mason fits the profile exactly of strong competition for CF and RF and even LF.
Assume we actually get a 50 Mil fee for him. I think it would require 80 million minimum to buy a suitable replacement. I'm not a great scout so couldn't name names. But not only would it be expensive but also very difficult to find a player willing to come to UTD that fits the quality and profile.

We obviously have other holes in the squad that need filling. Just adds to the headache unfortunately.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
There is absolutely no way back for him at the club. £50m for him in the summer and thanks goodbye and good luck. Then this chapter over and he’s someone else’s problem.
There's no chance we're getting £50m for him

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This is sound advice for newbs.
There you are.

Now make me a mod.

(No, wait: a site admin. And pay me for it. Negotiation begins at roughly what the average United player takes home. I expect to hear from you soon.)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There's no chance we're getting £50m for him
His value at Transfermarkt is slightly below 50m.

(It's 7.5m, to be precise).

(Seven point five, yes. Not seventy-five.)

United probably (hopefully) don't want him back. So, why the feck would anyone pay a shitload for him?

Do they predict a bidding war involving multiple big clubs? And if so, why the feck would they predict that?

uwotm8

United probably (hopefully) don't want him back. So, why the feck would anyone pay a shitload for him?

Do they predict a bidding war involving multiple big clubs? And if so, why the feck would they predict that?
My point in my post above, is that Mason fits the profile perfectly for forward competition and rotation. To us ,if we found a player with the same qualities, would cost us 80M +.

I would predict 20-40m personally. If there is more than one club interested then they may be bid for the cheap talent. The La Liga sides seem to not care at all about his indiscretions, so it is possible.

acid_fuji

I think it’s already quite obvious to the majority of people that attempted rape and attacking your partner isn’t acceptable, to be honest.
For you and me yes but I notice some of the folks here don't think that way. Regardless of people's opinions pure profit from sale would help us a lot for summer transfer.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If there is more than one club interested then they may be bid for the cheap talent.
Yes, of course.

But unless more than one big club is interested, there's no chance we'll get 40 (never mind 50 or more) for him.

It also seems unrealistic that multiple big clubs would be interested in him to the extent that they would be willing to get involved in an actual bidding war.

Overhaul FC

Is this thread moving to the normal threads, a sign that MasOn Greenwood is coming back to United for next season?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Bit daft to be arguing over his potential value in the summer as there are several months of the season remaining and how he performs in these months is obviously going to make a significant difference

Will also impact any decision by the club on bringing him back

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Well if Transfermarkt think that then we may as well just leave him go for free :rolleyes:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We will undoubtedly need forward competition and rotation to deal with the fixture congestion and quality required for a good next season. Mason fits the profile exactly of strong competition for CF and RF and even LF.
Assume we actually get a 50 Mil fee for him. I think it would require 80 million minimum to buy a suitable replacement. I'm not a great scout so couldn't name names. But not only would it be expensive but also very difficult to find a player willing to come to UTD that fits the quality and profile.

We obviously have other holes in the squad that need filling. Just adds to the headache unfortunately.
I don’t think we will get that for him, he’s tarnished goods. Someone will buy him cheap and look to shine him up and resell later.

even if we got 50m, from an FFP pov this would create a lot of spending room as he’s homegrown

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well if Transfermarkt think that then we may as well just leave him go for free :rolleyes:
It doesn't mean much, granted.

But it adds a bit of perspective when people seemingly unironically claim that he's worth 100m.

There are three basic premises here, as many see it:

1) He isn't a player all clubs in the world are salivating at per default because of his immense quality.

2) He is a player who comes with a very specific baggage not all clubs are willing to be bothered with, not least because of 1).

3) He is a player United don't want, as in: United have no interest in offering him a new contract (his current one expires in June 2025).

Of course, some or all of these premises could be false.

But I'm fairly confident when I say that there's no feckin' chance we'll get a lot of money for this player. As a seller, we have very little going for us.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It doesn't mean much, granted.

But it adds a bit of perspective when people seemingly unironically claim that he's worth 100m.

There are three basic premises here, as many see it:

1) He isn't a player all clubs in the world are salivating at per default because of his immense quality.

2) He is a player who comes with a very specific baggage not all clubs are willing to be bothered with, not least because of 1).

3) He is a player United don't want, as in: United have no interest in offering him a new contract (his current one expires in June 2025).

Of course, some or all of these premises could be false.

But I'm fairly confident when I say that there's no feckin' chance we'll get a lot of money for this player. As a seller, we have very little going for us.
And Spanish clubs (where the best chance of a market is) are skint.

I bet there will be a lot of angry and confused "~€8m?!" type posts in here in the summer.

Fridge chutney

Bit daft to be arguing over his potential value in the summer as there are several months of the season remaining and how he performs in these months is obviously going to make a significant difference

Will also impact any decision by the club on bringing him back
I disagree. I think his performance will not be a factor for new ownership regarding a decision to bring him back or not.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I have been threadbanned and just returned from the wilderness. I will not be commenting on this thread aside his footballing success/failures.
I'd maintain that it's utterly pointless to talk about his football ability without mentioning everything else. In the context of his career, this will be what hangs over him in the next few years and will probably keep him from the Premier League and the England side.

If it wasn't for the things that can't be discussed on this thread, he'd playing for Man United at the moment and Garnacho would probably be out on loan in La Liga.

I would have agreed a mutual termination of Greenwood's contract last summer. Given everything else going, it's a circus that we need to move on from.

Marcus

It would silly from a negotiation perspective to admit that United don't want him back. We don't want a Sancho valuation on Greenwood do we?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think his performance against Barcelona will have a big impact on his career after this season.

He's proving he can play at the top level again by being one of the best players on the pitch week in week out. He's been one of the best players on the pitch against both Madrid sides which shows that not only can he still perform in a top league, he can excel against the leagues best. If he were to have a great game against the leagues champions - maybe scoring which was the only thing lacking in his performances against the Madrid sides - I just think it'll get a lot of clubs attention.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Is it controversial to think that Man Utd bear a similar responsibility to an acadamy product as we would feel towards a family member? A brother? Maybe even a son? I mean, how many hours to they spend at club facilities? Who elevate these kids ego into something that would be difficult to handle for alot of people?

I’ve always felt that Man Utd should have a program to follow up and take care of the players who dont make it. I know that this is now in place and that is great.

It seem evident that we have done too little in the past to guide players mentally. How to handle the success and attention of playing at the club. How to eventually handle failure (for most of them).

I have no idea what is the case with Greenwood. From a PR-perspective, we should obviously get rid. But that seems irresponsible and selfish. It will not help improve Greenwood. It will not help his girl who he is still in a relationship with. Or their baby. Maybe he is a hopeless case and we should just get rid. I think few of us have any idea about that.

Mihai

Selling to Athleico would be awesome if we could get good price. This would help us in terms of FPP and perhaps send a clear message from the club to the players that this kind of behavior won't be tolerated. Can we get even 50 mil for him?
There is no way Ineos will keep him, imo. Irrespective of what information the club might have, I think the backlash would be too much.

I also don't think we will achieve anywhere close to 50 mil on him. I think we would be lucky to get 30.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Is it controversial to think that Man Utd bear a similar responsibility to an acadamy product as we would feel towards a family member? A brother? Maybe even a son? I mean, how many hours to they spend at club facilities? Who elevate these kids ego into something that would be difficult to handle for alot of people?

I’ve always felt that Man Utd should have a program to follow up and take care of the players who dont make it. I know that this is now in place and that is great.

It seem evident that we have done too little in the past to guide players mentally. How to handle the success and attention of playing at the club. How to eventually handle failure (for most of them).

I have no idea what is the case with Greenwood. From a PR-perspective, we should obviously get rid. But that seems irresponsible and selfish. It will not help improve Greenwood. It will not help his girl who he is still in a relationship with. Or their baby. Maybe he is a hopeless case and we should just get rid. I think few of us have any idea about that.
Only really if we enabled his behaviour whilst he was at the club to raise his ego without any sort of challenge - that very much could have happened, but I don't know. I don't think we bear responsibility for his behaviour outside of the club unless you can directly link it, he has an actual family.

We've always tried to sort moves for people and forgone transfer fees to give them a career in the game. We're paying him to be at Getafe and also giving up a percentage of his fee to them in order to facilitate that move (if rumours are to be believed).

There's got to be a bit of personal responsibility here. He's a multi millionaire, so if he wanted to get counselling, he can afford it. In the year he had off whilst we paid him 75k a week, I he had plenty of time and resources to do so(might have done as well, who knows). It would go a long way to actually accepting his own responsibility.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

There are certainly lessons to be learned by United, particularly if he grew up believing that we would turn a blind eye to off field problems or worrying behaviour.

Crucially we have a responsibility to our current crop of Academy and young players to make sure that they learn that being good at football doesn't give you a free pass to do as you like off-field. I would hope that they're already looking at both their education programs and individual counselling to avoid problems in the future.

As to Greenwood. We've already paid him to sit at home for 18 month. He'd been out of the England team for 18 months before that. We're now paying a chunk of the bill for him play in Getafe. Personally, based on what we've seen and heard I don't trust him as a player or a man. If the club contributed to that, I hope we've tried to give him the help he needs to move forward. I'm convinced that forward means away from United - it's better for the club and I hope it will be better for him and his family.

I do hope though that we understand what went wrong so we can support our current youngsters and players in general better.

neon_badger

Crucially we have a responsibility to our current crop of Academy and young players to make sure that they learn that being good at football doesn't give you a free pass to do as you like off-field. I would hope that they're already looking at both their education programs and individual counselling to avoid problems in the future
I'd like to see the club utilise ex players in this capacity, many of the ex players we see regularly at the club have personal experience of off-field issues, perhaps this is already happening behind the scenes.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
There's got to be a bit of personal responsibility here.
Always. Off course. I know very little about his background and upbringing, but there is never an excuse for what he did.

But I still think Man Utd, as far as possible, should do everything possible to build not good footballers, but resilient humanbeings with good values.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'd like to see the club utilise ex players in this capacity, many of the ex players we see regularly at the club have personal experience of off-field issues, perhaps this is already happening behind the scenes.
I'm pretty sure Wes Brown does something similar to this, but if players are willing to, we certainly should.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm expecting a low fee, with a decent sell on percentage. If he kicks on at Atletico there'd be a big move to the very top teams afterwards.

neon_badger

I'm pretty sure Wes Brown does something similar to this, but if players are willing to, we certainly should.
Very likeable guy I could see him being perfect at this, as a young player you'd certainly listen to someone like Wes.

Fridge chutney

General observation, your really are obsessed with Greenwood
What metric do you use to make this groundbreaking "general observation"? I predict that you won't be able to find anything to substantiate your bizarre claim. It is also possible that you have no interest in substantiating your claim, and the comment was meant to discredit me because you want him back.

Regardless, please prove me wrong! I'm very interested to hear your well-constructed reasoning on this matter.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
50 for him would only happen if he was performing sky rocket levels. He's doing a solid season, but nothing to justify anyone going for him at those values tbh. Atletico hoards a lot of potential talent, not a surprised they are interested.

marktan

Quality control
Like with everything, people will be outraged until they forget. Zouma kicked a cat, Alonso killed someone, and nobody cared. Same with Greenwood - for the first few weeks people will boo and jeer, and eventually they'll stop caring. For me the club should just bring him back and ignore the noise.

Fridge chutney

Like with everything, people will be outraged until they forget. Zouma kicked a cat, [Irrelevant point - unless we are talking about F1] killed someone, and nobody cared. Same with Greenwood - for the first few weeks people will boo and jeer, and eventually they'll stop caring. For me the club should just bring him back and ignore the noise.
How are Kevin Spacey, Louis CK, James Franco, etc. doing these days?

Let alone the fact that you have crowds chanting "Die Greenwood" and players calling him a rapist, and that's in Spain, not even in his home country where the consensus seems to be that conditions will be harsher.

I think your outlook is based on hope rather than reality.

luke511

I'm expecting a low fee, with a decent sell on percentage. If he kicks on at Atletico there'd be a big move to the very top teams afterwards.
Or not. Atletico play hard ball with their best players, Barcelona won’t pay crazy money as they don’t have it, Real Madrid won’t need him and English clubs won’t splash out for him. So he’ll probably stay there for as long as Atletico want.

If we’re selling him it has to be for a large fee, I don’t think a big sell on % will work out well for us.

neon_badger

Like with everything, people will be outraged until they forget. Zouma kicked a cat, [Irrelevant point - unless we are talking about F1] killed someone, and nobody cared. Same with Greenwood - for the first few weeks people will boo and jeer, and eventually they'll stop caring. For me the club should just bring him back and ignore the noise.
Zouma is still receiving plenty of stick he always will, even MUTV were at it last week, it went viral. With Greenwood it'll be the same ×1000, many people (myself included) do genuinely have a problem with him, it's unreasonable to attempt to dismiss it as temporary outrage.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
See, this isn't offensive to me, a poster who clearly knows Greenwood isn't coming back here.

It does annoy me that @Insanity 's post wishes him well, but at least this is an honest response.
Sorry to disappoint you, bud, but I accept that he is not going to be allowed back due to the external pressures and the age we live in. My wish would be that he be given a chance to play for us.

I fully believe in giving him a chance at redemption. From what evidence was there in the public domain: there was an audio and there were pictures. The audio was surely uncomfortable to hear and it had him come across as a 19 year old immature douche-bag pestering his girlfriend for sex. Do I think it was disgusting? Sure. Do I think he should be banished to the purgatory for eternal life based on that audio? The answer is no.

Then there were those pictures. Again disturbing, but I don't know the context of those injuries. And then he was exonerated by the cops after a lengthy investigation, which to me suggests that there is more to it then it meets the eye. And now they seem to be together and have had a child, who was conceived much after he was suspended. If his GF has forgiven him, who am I to hold it against him. I can't be outraged for her.

But it's okay, he is just one player. I wish that he regrets whatever mistakes he made and learns from them. And I hope he has a good career and does justice to his wife and kid.

I’d only wish him a good career IF he returns to United. If he goes and have a successful career elsewhere, we as a club would look even more idiotic. So no wish from me unless he returns.
So you wish he fails as a footballer if he is not back here? I am sorry, but that's just childish.

As for looking idiotic, no way. This is the age of social media, people love to take a moral stand and prove they are better than others when it comes to setting standards for others.