Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Public opinion in general is a terrible thing to rely on, because it's usually fickle and uninformed.

There are exceptions of course, but in general its best to ignore public opinion and strictly focus on fact as a business.

100%. He shouldn't be sent to prison based on it. But if deciding whether to bring him back into a potential media shitstorm it's definitely a factor.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
That's not practical. Unless there is clarification then sections of the public will be outraged. And like it or not United will be used to highlight this issue so it will be amplified hugely. You have to take that into account. It's just ridiculous not to.
No, what's ridiculous is coming to a decision based on an internal investigation and doing a total 180-degree pivot from that decision based on what the uninformed masses think to be true.

My issue here isn't even about Greenwood specifically or what he did/didn't do. It's been the handling of the situation from minute one. Absolutely amateur stuff from the club.

Berbaclass

100%. He shouldn't be sent to prison based on it. But if deciding whether to bring him back into a potential media shitstorm it's definitely a factor.
Explain this to me please.

Edit: my bad I read it as he 'should' be sent to prison. I'm tired sorry :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I actually agree, INEOs should look at the cost of the media furore and fan backlash vs the (potential) gain of having him return, and weigh that against the gain from selling him.

I can honestly say whatever conclusion they come up with I'd accept as long as it's in good faith

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
No, what's ridiculous is coming to a decision based on an internal investigation and doing a total 180-degree pivot from that decision based on what the uninformed masses think to be true.

My issue here isn't even about Greenwood specifically or what he did/didn't do. It's been the handling of the situation from minute one. Absolutely amateur stuff from the club.

Depends entirely on what they actually discovered. If it was a "feck it, the fuss will die down" decision then I'm glad there was outrage enough to force them to change their decision.

But yes, either way, the club made a balls of it.

Berbaclass

Depends entirely on what they actually discovered. If it was a "feck it, the fuss will die down" decision then I'm glad there was outrage enough to force them to change their decision.

But yes, either way, the club made a balls of it.
Agree yes.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I actually agree, INEOs should look at the cost of the media furore and fan backlash vs the (potential) gain of having him return, and weigh that against the gain from selling him.

I can honestly say whatever conclusion they come up with I'd accept as long as it's in good faith

Yeah, I just don't know if I could believe a decision either way was made in good faith at this point.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I understand that of course but Ratcliffe should not make his mind up (or anyone IMO) like Richard Arnold did based on what the public feedback was.

He needs to make a decision and justify it with factual evidence like he's suggested that he will.
You have literally shown yourself up over the last few months of this forum as someone who has morals that change at the drop of a hat. After insulting Qatar and petrol states before any takeover talks you become synonymous for shilling for Qatari money once it benefited you.

You have no qualms about changing morals depending on how it influences your life. You absolutely are not someone who gets to tell anyone how they come to a moral decision.

padzilla

Hipster
The problem stems largely from the fact the recording and images were made public.

The explanation for what they actually were, that exonerates him, has not been shared.

Until that happens then there is a significant problem - rightly or wrongly.

If United bring him back without explaining what the actual explanation for what the footage actually was, then there will be a massive shit storm.

For many supporters who value things like moral decency and women's rights ahead of sporting ability it will be hard to reconcile with the club.

Thiagoal

I’m very confident that SJR will be decisive in his decision making as opposed to the floundering Richard Arnold! If he looks at the evidence, looks at MG’s character (today) then I’ll happily accept any decision he makes. One thing he won’t do is worry about the likes of Rachel Reilly in his decision making- he’s the sort of leader we need!

Berbaclass

You have literally shown yourself up over the last few months of this forum as someone who has morals that change at the drop of a hat. After insulting Qatar and petrol states before any takeover talks you become synonymous for shilling for Qatari money once it benefited you.

You have no qualms about changing morals depending on how it influences your life. You absolutely are not someone who gets to tell anyone how they come to a moral decision.
If it isn't Mr gentrification. Go away you troll.

I've said all I'm going to say on the subject.

padzilla

Hipster
I’m very confident that SJR will be decisive in his decision making as opposed to the floundering Richard Arnold! If he looks at the evidence, looks at MG’s character (today) then I’ll happily accept any decision he makes. One thing he won’t do is worry about the likes of Rachel Reilly in his decision making- he’s the sort of leader we need!
Yes why would any leader want to consider the impact their decision might make on our female fanbase?

feck me, this place is getting worse with the amount of shite being spouted.

Greenwood cultists are just about not saying Make United Great Again.

sepulturite

Oh ffs :houllier:

TheReligion

Abusive
Think this was always going to be a decision for the summer and one that INEOS would want to re-visit themselves.

I think everyone is agreed that the clubs communications, and management of the situation, has been poor so it’s quite refreshing we will get clarity on this soon and it will be reviewed with a fresh pair of eyes so to speak.

I don’t think Sir Jim gives anything away in the interview that you can hang your hat on in terms of will he stay or will he go though. It’s quite neutral.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Think this was always going to be a decision for the summer and one that INEOS would want to re-visit themselves.

I think everyone is agreed that the clubs communications, and management of the situation, has been poor so it’s quite refreshing we will get clarity on this soon and it will be reviewed with a fresh pair of eyes so to speak.

I don’t think Sir Jim gives anything away in the interview that you can hang your hat on in terms of will he stay or will he go though. It’s quite neutral.
Yeah, totally.

brontelicious

This transitory moral position occurs when supporters make the club its own moral paragon, and then discuss ethical matters as though they were optional appendages.

A bit like supporters who applaud the tories because it 'winds up the Scouse' but would never themselves vote for them (the tories, not the scousers).

The problem stems largely from the fact the recording and images were made public.

The explanation for what they actually were, that exonerates him, has not been shared.

Until that happens then there is a significant problem - rightly or wrongly.

If United bring him back without explaining what the actual explanation for what the footage actually was, then there will be a massive shit storm.

For many supporters who value things like moral decency and women's rights ahead of sporting ability it will be hard to reconcile with the club.
Nail on the head.

'Innocent until proven guilty' is, as ever, being proved insufficient. Greenwood's innocence has never itself been proven.

However, and this I admit is conjecture, Ratcliffe may wish to remove certain types of supporter, and would welcome a boycott because they are replaceable.

This process will be deeply political and I hope to heck I am wrong about it, but it's consistent with Ratcliffe's political ambition.

Pickle85

Are you one of those zero tolerance for domestic violence fundamentalists?
It says something about the thread and some of the views contained in it that, before seeing who posted this, l was ready to take it at face value and lose the plot. Damn your convincing satire @moses

RedDevilUnited369

People are overacting. He will be sold, not because of the fear of backlash. But because financially it’s straight profit for a player that hasn’t played for us for near on 3 years.

He can’t just spend because of FFP. But there is a minimum of £200m to spend if they sell the correct players this summer. MG is one of those players.

He will want to bring in players this summer to make a statement. There will be the usual 100-150m plus player sales. I’m expecting a £300m summer spend.

But as I’ve previously said. Jim being a staunch Brexit Tory he wouldn’t get rid of Greenwood because of SM cancel culture. It goes against how they think.

But using logic he will be sold for financial reasons.

The logic for keeping him is that the alternatives are not better than him. If they want to keep him it takes one statement explaining a few small points. This would likely include statements from Mrs Greenwood, and her family.

Berbaclass

I don’t know what’s funnier, you and wumminator and your self righteous schtick or the fact you seem to think you are able to discern anything about me or my actual character from a few posts I make on an online football forum.

Get a life the both of you :lol:

Overhaul FC

So Greenwood has a few months to prove he's a good person if he wants his Man United career back.

We know he's a player that helps the team on the pitch, he also would save the club in terms of FFP if he comes back and we don't need to spend £70m on a right winger with talent.

There's a chance.

sepulturite

I don’t know what’s funnier, you and wumminator and your self righteous schtick or the fact you seem to think you are able to discern anything about me or my actual character from a few posts I make on an online football forum.

Get a life the both of you :lol:
Wow we really got to you, awesome! Cya :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
People are overacting. He will be sold, not because of the fear of backlash. But because financially it’s straight profit for a player that hasn’t played for us for near on 3 years.

He can’t just spend because of FFP. But there is a minimum of £200m to spend if they sell the correct players this summer. MG is one of those players.

He will want to bring in players this summer to make a statement. There will be the usual 100-150m plus player sales. I’m expecting. £300m summer.

But as I’ve previously said. Jim being a staunch Brexit Tory he wouldn’t get rid of Greenwood because of SM cancel culture. It goes against how they think.

But using logic he will be sold for financial reasons.

The logic for keeping him is that the alternatives are not better than him. If they want to keep him it takes one statement explaining a few small points. This would likely include statements from Mrs Greenwood, and her family.
We will almost certainly buy a forward this summer, which would be contrary to the logic of selling him just to buy another player. We also have the likes of Sancho, Amad, Martial, Pellistri, and Antony available to sell, which would reduce the financial burden of inbound transfers. In the end it will depend on who is available to buy.

Last edited:

Pickle85

Have to say those SJR quotes have me worried. They're pretty neutral but I wouldn't be surprised if he's smoothing the way for a return. At this point if I had to put money on one or the other, I would probably bet on him coming back. Which would be entirely morally bankrupt on the club's part as far as I'm concerned. Really, really hope Ratcliffe is just trying to preserve Greenwood's value to some degree and that I'm just disaster thinking.

Pickle85

So Greenwood has a few months to prove he's a good person if he wants his Man United career back.

We know he's a player that helps the team on the pitch, he also would save the club in terms of FFP if he comes back and we don't need to spend £70m on a right winger with talent.

There's a chance.
He would also help the club in terms of FFP if he left for a decent fee.

There's a chance.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Have to say those SJR quotes have me worried. They're pretty neutral but I wouldn't be surprised if he's smoothing the way for a return. At this point if I had to put money on one or the other, I would probably bet on him coming back. Which would be entirely morally bankrupt on the club's part as far as I'm concerned. Really, really hope Ratcliffe is just trying to preserve Greenwood's value to some degree and that I'm just disaster thinking.
I think he's just giving himself the option of bringing him back after he consults with ETH and the new management team.

padzilla

Hipster
Would many fans consider stopping watching United if Greenwood lines out for us again?

Would we essentially become anti woke pro Brexit Trump is the way to go when it comes to women's rights FC?