Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GazTheLegend

He's had a terrible season but the last two seasons before he was honestly pretty good. I sort of wonder if this is Ten Hag getting cover for Bruno Fernandes because Fernandes is playing way, WAY too much football + we rely on him way, way too much. As long as we sign a number 9 as well, Mount is not such a terrible player to get in.

Drizzle

I just don't understand people. Mount is a good player, possibly very good. Poor season, but looking at Chelsea as a club that's not too worrying.

I'd put him on par with Mac Allister. Busy, productive 8. Got goals in him. Technically good. Young.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's had a terrible season but the last two seasons before he was honestly pretty good. I sort of wonder if this is Ten Hag getting cover for Bruno Fernandes because Fernandes is playing way, WAY too much football + we rely on him way, way too much. As long as we sign a number 9 as well, Mount is not such a terrible player to get in.
£55m for a cover player is insane.
If there is any truth to this my guess is Ten Hag sees a new position for Mount to retrain in, perhaps an 8 who knows.

Under the right coaching he does have the skillets to be useful in a ball carrying department. Whilst very blunt this year, he is. worker, he gets stuck in and has a nack of finding useful pockets so there is something there.

My gripe is all that money on him is nuts.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mount is quality player. He's basically the better version of Lingard. Pretty much the player that we were expecting Donny to become but never actually reach it. Mount has lot of flexibility to allow any managers to change tactic or cover injuries players because he can play as no 8 box to box, no 10 and wide. He also has good end product almost like Muller not Lingard. He's very ideal for high press.

My issue is not about us signing Mount. But that 55m. For someone on his final year that has bad season, his value should far below than 55m.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Have never understood the disdain Mount seems to engender in people. But I also don't particularly see why he's a player we'd target.

Dazzmondo

Fred has year on his contract just like Mount but isn't particularly good or young, we would be lucky to get anything beyond £10-12 m for him and unless we can get Mount for circa £30-35m we should steer clear .
Mount is only 24. He's the ideal age profile we should be looking to sign regardless of whether or not he specifically is the best option

HarryP

Mount is quality player. He's basically the better version of Lingard. Pretty much the player that we were expecting Donny to become but never actually reach it. Mount has lot of flexibility to allow any managers to change tactic or cover injuries players because he can play as no 8 box to box, no 10 and wide. He also has good end product almost like Muller not Lingard. He's very ideal for high press.

My issue is not about us signing Mount. But that 55m. For someone on his final year that has bad season, his value should far below than 55m.
This is a good post and neatly sums up why all the best and most intelligent managers are huge fans of Mount.

userman

Would much rather prefer that we signed Maddison if we're signing a backup 10/backup 8/backup winger.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The Rice / Mount friendship is going to reunite after all.....but it's us, Arsenal that are going to facilitate it, arent we?! :nervous:

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Extremely high fee considering he’s on his final year, and he also wants an incredibly high salary while coming off woeful form.

Would be a poor signing, but I suppose it’s what’s to be expected at this club.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I'd have him at Liverpool, although 55m seems steep when he's in his final year of contract.

My one gripe would be that he's currently a local lad playing for his childhood club, and it makes me wonder how he'd take being pushed out.

Rossa

Isn't it conceivable that ETH could play Bruno as an 8 and Mount slightly further up as a 10? Then you have Eriksen that could rotate with both. It could be a fairly fluid trio ahead of Casemiro.

Dazzmondo

Extremely high fee considering he’s on his final year, and he also wants an incredibly high salary while coming off woeful form.

Would be a poor signing, but I suppose it’s what’s to be expected at this club.
He's only on £80k per week at Chelsea. What sort of wages to be people expect he'll be demanding?

redsunited

We shouldn’t spend more than 30m to upgrade VDB especially one in last year contract.
If we are ready to spend 55m on Mount, we could have spent 63m on Nkuku.

Theonas

Scout
Would much rather prefer that we signed Maddison if we're signing a backup 10/backup 8/backup winger.
I really don't think Maddison can play for a top club with the work rate requirements top coaches are asking for. He is such a luxuary player and seems from another time. Undeniable who talented he is but he can easily go missing for large chunks and his threat can be nullified. If he was as skilled as an Iniesta or Zidane, maybe that could be glossed over but he isn't. He seems to me like such a Spurs player or Arsenal pre Arteta.

We need an rvn

Like many have said, I think he's a decent player and we be a decent addition to the squad - particularly when we've seen how injuries can take a toll and we've not got decent back-ups.

But for £55m with one year left on his contract, no chance we should be going over £20m.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, I agree with all of that.

Dazzmondo

According to the reports he asked for something closer to £250k.
Nobody's going to pay him that. I'm sure lots of players start by demanding a wage like that. In negotiation you don't start at £150k if the goal is to get a contract for £150k, which is what I expect this would eventually be agreed for, or maybe slightly more like £170k per week

Abraxas

He's...okay. At least he has been at times for Chelsea. For England he is universally abysmal.

I don't really see why he'd be a name that heads to the top of ETH's recruitment list. What's attractive about him? He's just kind of there most of the time.

userman

I really don't think Maddison can play for a top club with the work rate requirements top coaches are asking for. He is such a luxuary player and seems from another time. Undeniable who talented he is but he can easily go missing for large chunks and his threat can be nullified. If he was as skilled as an Iniesta or Zidane, maybe that could be glossed over but he isn't. He seems to me like such a Spurs player or Arsenal pre Arteta.
In case you missed the word backup I'm not saying that he will necessarily elevate us to the next level, but as a backup in those roles I do prefer him over Mount. I think Maddison has much more to him than Mount (besides work rate).

Chairman Steve

No more than £30m for him, otherwise we’re getting ripped off.

I agree with the Lingard/van de Beek comparisons too. He fits the ETH way of playing more than Maddison does, who I think would look better on the eye than Mount but frustrating in that he doesn’t work as hard as Mount.

Dazzmondo

In case you missed the word backup I'm not saying that he will necessarily elevate us to the next level, but as a backup in those roles I do prefer him over Mount. I think Maddison has much more to him than Mount (besides work rate).
I doubt we would be signing Mount for £55m just for him to be a backup. I'd imagine ETH is looking at a midfield 3 of Case-Bruno-Mount and the added flexibility he brings might help when we do get injuries or need to rotate the same way ETH moves Bruno in some games.

Tarrou

i quite like him but I doubt there is any truth to our interest

he'd be too expensive for what we need to do this summer

reddev3

I can't think of a player I would want less for 50+ million than Mason Mount, there is no way this is true.

userman

I doubt we would be signing Mount for £55m just for him to be a backup. I'd imagine ETH is looking at a midfield 3 of Case-Bruno-Mount and the added flexibility he brings might help when we do get injuries or need to rotate the same way ETH moves Bruno in some games.
Yeah, I doubt we sign him for £55m at all.
Agree with your second point though about how a midfield can be set up next season, depending on who we sign, but I just can’t see a £55m Mount being that signing.

davidmichael

I don’t trust ETH with signings, so far his record has been rather poor. Hopefully it’s just a media fabrication as this is a joke. Mason hecking Mount.
I don’t want Mount either as I don’t think he’s good at anything at all and just kind of a player that’s there on the pitch but I certainly wouldn't say Martinez, Casemiro or Eriksen have been poor and Malacia was brought in as back up rather than as a starter so it only leaves Antony who has been underwhelming for the price paid but then that falls on our recruitment team wasting most of the window on De Jong as Antony was gettable for £50 million at the start of the window.

gajender

Mount is only 24. He's the ideal age profile we should be looking to sign regardless of whether or not he specifically is the best option
Age and quality point was about Fred in relation to Mount and why Fred won't fetch more than 10-12 m .

It was continuation of my discussion with other Poster .

L1nk

People moaning about the incredibly high fee for a 24 year old on the last year of his contract are no doubt okay spunking 100 million on a 30 year old on the last year of his contract though.

Mount may not be the best player we could buy, but he's young, would count as homegrown, has qualities, and i'm sorry but he would be a bigger upgrade over DVB, Fred, Sabitzer etc so i'm all for it personally, I still think we would need another midfielder though

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I'd take him but for no more than 40m. With a year left on his contract I can't imagine clubs would be willing to give Chelsea much more than that.

He has similar attributes to Eriksen but also has the energy to help prevent our midfield from getting overrun in some of the tougher games. If we can sell Mctominay for 25-30m and spend a few mil more on Mount then that would be one hell of an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.