Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is what I said I too, Mount would be playing like Van De Beek.

The problem is Bruno is arguably a pressing but creative number 10 as well whilst we haveVDB at number 2 already.
The problem is who’s the deep playmaker that fits ETH profile available out there we can sign. The way how I see this is I think we will see Mount playing where sabitzer has been playing when Eriksen was injured, while Bruno fill in Eriksen’s role. If required, we might even use him on the wide for certain tactical purposes.

Huddsred

Why all the negativity towards Mount? Chelsea were a far better side with him in the team than they are now.

RoLo

Good watch, so he'd be our park ji-sung. His off the ball attributes, being key to why managers like him so much.

Summed up as "above average on the ball, exceptional off it".
Funnily enough Ji-Sung Park was the exact player my Chelsea pal referenced when I was picking his brain about Mount.

In fact here’s his full quote:

“I don't think any of it is regression, he's won our player of the season two years running, including a season where we won the CL. During that time he's been mostly very good.

I guess for a Utd supporter the best way to describe him would be Park Ji Sung but better in basically every area.

There's been an intense amount of turmoil in his private life as well, as you can see in the news today, as well as him playing with an injury all season.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by him if you do sign him, he's one of those players who is a lot better 'live' than on TV because you can see better what he's doing and the positions he takes up and how intelligent his play is.

It could also just mean that you move to something closer to a 4-3-3, or he could play a kinda narrow right sided position.

He's very positionally flexible, and his pressing ability might mean you can be a bit more aggressive on that score. ”

L1nk

Ornstein is reporting Mounts preference and then follows up with we're "preparing a bid". Reads like an O jogo headline about Garay or Gaitan.

Our priority is clearly a striker, but we're just gonna drop 55m on Mount first? I'll believe it when I see it.
If Ornstein reports it, 99% of the time it's legit.

Von Mistelroum

Very odd to me that people are so against Mount. I don't think we should be paying £55m with his contract situation, but I've always thought he was a good player and certainly ahead of McFred. I guess we'll see.

edcunited1878

Why all the negativity towards Mount? Chelsea were a far better side with him in the team than they are now.
But they also had a better manager and system. Lampard is an idiot and Potter wasn't assertive enough with his decisions. When Chelsea were at their competitve best under Tuchel, Mount was able to play a role. However, over the course of a PL season, Mount wasn't good enough and neither were Chelsea.

edcunited1878

Very odd to me that people are so against Mount. I don't think we should be paying £55m with his contract situation, but I've always thought he was a good player and certainly ahead of McFred. I guess we'll see.
I think that's the biggest thing, the fee. He's better than McTominay, better than VdB. Fred and Mount have their uses, and if Mount were to assume a similar role to Sabitzer and a little more, then I'd be okay with that.

But anything over $40M for a player in his last contract year and has been phased out isn't a good use of funds if we are to believe United are on a budget. Unless United are offloading players such as McTominay, Maguire, etc that are helping to fund this type of move, where players of similar or better abilities could go for half or 3/4ths of Mount's fee.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Right, but even playing Mount as that advanced midfielder we are sacrificing any sort of ball control and taking care in possession. Especially as we all assume it would be with Bruno in the side as well with Casemiro as the DM. That midfield 3 is about as gung ho as it gets, and doesn't really fit into how a "possession" side might play. Ten Hag can be like Tuchel and try to control zones and spaces, but Tuchel also had 5 players in behind Mount that could comfortably circulate and play tidy on the ball (Jorginho/Kova/Kante/James/Chillwell). Compare that to the personnel we might line up in a similar way, and alarm bells ring for me (Shaw/Case/Bruno/Mount/AWB (or praying for a RB signing who is quality)).
Control can be maintained to some extent by inverting one of the fullbacks but i'm not sure ten Hag sees Bruno as his ideal central attacking midfielder. And it wouldn't surprise me to see ten Hag utilise Bruno as a wide attacker more often, like we saw him utilise Tadic at Ajax. And having a stronger core of central midfielders would allow us to be more compact centrally and allow us to disrupt the opposition higher up the pitch more effectively. The thrashings we got this season was in part due to the opponents finding it too easy to find their players in between the lines in our defensive third. So it's extremely important to be defensively strong in a attacking midfield role, where you can press effectively without being bypassed easily. And Bruno wouldn't only be playing as a wide play maker but would also play centrally against the so called lesser teams imo. And the potential to assist and score will still be there for him in a wide playmaker role due to him having more freedom and a little less defensive responsibillity. And that would give ten Hag plenty of options. Everyone should be fighting for their place in the team.

Add players like Frimpong, Bennacer and a well rounded goalkeeper with the ability to distribute and sweep to a good level and we have a team that has multiple attacking threats all over the pitch. I do think the club will spend more than what's being reported, hopefully it'll be under new owners.

A midfield 3 of Casemiro, Bennacer and Mount in a advanced role is balanced. It can be a different player to Bennacer aswell.

This covers your question mate. @UNITED ACADEMY

skc_18

55m for a player in last season of contract. Incredible :)
We might be interested because of English quota and if we are selling MCT, but dont think we would buy him for more than 30 m

Woziak

Reality check when we sell Mctominay, Maguire, A Elanga, D Henderson, B Williams, that’s 5 homegrown players gone, we have to buy either Rice, Maddison or Mount just to help with HG quota, I’m surprised we are not looking at J Ramsey or Eberechi Eze, both have huge potential but we need a few homegrown players this window!

AlPistacho

Always looked like a tidy and technical player, one of Chelsea and England’s best prospects. Don’t know what’s happened this year. But then again can’t really judge this year at Chelsea.

Only issue is I got the impression his one of those players who regularly gets played out of position. If ETH wants him and he fits in the system and will play in his natural position then better now then next season when Chelsea are better and he will probably cost double.

skc_18

Always looked like a tidy and technical player, one of Chelsea and England’s best prospects. Don’t know what’s happened this year. But then again can’t really judge this year at Chelsea.

Only issue is I got the impression his one of those players who regularly gets played out of position. If ETH wants him and he fits in the system and will play in his natural position then better now then next season when Chelsea are better and he will probably cost double.
His contract ends in 24'. He will be available for free next season.

AlPistacho

His contract ends in 24'. He will be available for free next season.
Then should negotiate a good price if ETH wants him. Will be a good test of Arnold/Murtough whoever of the two does the negotiating

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Control can be maintained to some extent by inverting one of the fullbacks but i'm not sure ten Hag sees Bruno as his ideal central attacking midfielder. And it wouldn't surprise me to see ten Hag utilise Bruno as a wide attacker more often, like we saw him utilise Tadic at Ajax. And having a stronger core of central midfielders would allow us to be more compact centrally and allow us to disrupt the opposition higher up the pitch more effectively. The thrashings we got this season was in part due to the opponents finding it too easy to find their players in between the lines in our defensive third. So it's extremely important to be defensively strong in a attacking midfield role, where you can press effectively without being bypassed easily. And Bruno wouldn't only be playing as a wide play maker but would also play centrally against the so called lesser teams imo. And the potential to assist and score will still be there for him in a wide playmaker role due to him having more freedom and a little less defensive responsibillity. And that would give ten Hag plenty of options. Everyone should be fighting for their place in the team.

Add players like Frimpong, Bennacer and a well rounded goalkeeper with the ability to distribute and sweep to a good level and we have a team that has multiple attacking threats all over the pitch. I do think the club will spend more than what's being reported, hopefully it'll be under new owners.

A midfield 3 of Casemiro, Bennacer and Mount in a advanced role is balanced. It can be a different player to Bennacer aswell.

This covers your question mate. @UNITED ACADEMY
If we force Bruno wide, where players like Antony and Rashford going to play? And also people had been complaining about how Bruno performs worse on the wide than in the middle this season. Based on what I can see next season, Bruno is going to be ETH's captain's choice so he's very likely going to be one of the top list player that ETH will use and trust in his starting XI.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Or instead of signing a shittier 10 and shuffling Bruno around in the name of work rate... maybe we could just sign a quality CM that can run as well?

This is a hilariously bad signing just like Maguire was at the time, and will be laughed at in a few years just like Maguire was. Someone tell fecking Ten Hag to trust some scouts a bit more instead of getting obsessed with only players he's seen in person
Who is this quality CM that fits the profile available or affordable this summer. In the past few weeks, I had look at the list of these CM that we can afford this summer, I seriously cannot think a suitable name that can upgrade Eriksen's role. Is this how ten Hag and his scouts come into conclusion that there is no such a CM that fits the profile and Bruno has been experimented to play deep and ETH realises he can be used to play the role next season?

Waynne

So we're potentially interested in him for his off the ball work rate? What else does he offer besides having 3 lungs.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So we're potentially interested in him for his off the ball work rate? What else does he offer besides having 3 lungs.
He's very sound in terms of technique and he can play in multiple positions in multiple formations. And he's good at set pieces too.

Waynne

He's very sound in terms of technique and he can play in multiple positions in multiple formations. And he's good at set pieces too.
Sounds like would be a good partner next to Casemiro if he's that flexable.

hobbers

Chelsea should also be desperate to sell players who are playing down their contracts given the financial hole they've dug themselves into.

Why the feck would any top half Prem club in their right mind do them such a massive favour, by overspending 2x on a mediocre player that is unwanted and out of contract.

UDontMessWith24

One of those players that isn't quite as good as what he's made out to be when he's in form, and not as bad as he's made out to be when he's out of form. Usually players in this situation need a manager with some creativity to accentuate what they do well and the motivational ability to help them rediscover their confidence. Klopp with Jordan Henderson comes to mind. If Chelsea don't drop the price and we walk away, who is taking our place at the negotiation table for that price?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The problem is who’s the deep playmaker that fits ETH profile available out there we can sign.
There are people whose job is to find such players. Plenty of other clubs do it every year, if we cannot think of an obvious option, doesn't mean there isn't one.
I've seen this question repeated often and often for any position we need improvements in.
I never realized there only exists the players we know of and no one else

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we force Bruno wide, where players like Antony and Rashford going to play? And also people had been complaining about how Bruno performs worse on the wide than in the middle this season. Based on what I can see next season, Bruno is going to be ETH's captain's choice so he's very likely going to be one of the top list player that ETH will use and trust in his starting XI.
Bruno is possibly going to be the captain next season similar to how Tadic was made Captain at Ajax under ten Hag. And I can see Bruno being utilised in a similar way because he's not really a strong defensive presence in a central area where it's important to stay compact. So I think in the bigger games, Bruno could well occupy a position on the flank. There should also be plenty of games for Rashford and the rest.

And for me it's important ten Hag has a variety of tools at his disposal and the options to rotate without significantly weakening the team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bruno is possibly going to be the captain next season similar to how Tadic was made Captain at Ajax under ten Hag. And I can see Bruno being utilised in a similar way because he's not really a strong defensive presence in a central area where it's important to stay compact. So I think in the bigger games, Bruno could well occupy a position on the flank. There should also be plenty of games for Rashford and the rest.

And for me it's important ten Hag has a variety of tools at his disposal and the options to rotate without significantly weakening the team.
I suspect that for the majority of the time we'd simply see Mount take Eriksen's place in our current midfield set-up.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There are people whose job is to find such players. Plenty of other clubs do it every year, if we cannot think of an obvious option, doesn't mean there isn't one.
I've seen this question repeated often and often for any position we need improvements in.
I never realized there only exists the players we know of and no one else
I agree with that but what if actually there isn't one available. The availability of players depends on what we actually need. Do we need players that can be ready as starters or still in development stage like Pellistri?

It's so easy to say we should be able to find the hidden gems like Caicedo, Enzo, and etc. But are those type of players available, if they are available, are they ready to be our starter? When Brighton sign Caicedo, it took him a year and half until he gets a regular games time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I suspect that for the majority of the time we'd simply see Mount take Eriksen's place in our current midfield set-up.
I think another midfielder will be brought in to partner Casemiro in the deeper area of the midfield.

I don't see Mount as that player and he's far better in a more advanced role. It makes more sense if someone like Rabiot were to partner Casemiro in a two in the build up. But I'm hoping we target someone like a Bennacer or someone else with a similar profile.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

If in bigger games Bruno occupy a position on the flank. Does it mean you think against non bigger team, Bruno occupy the Eriksen's role if we play Mount in XI?

To me the spending big on Mount means either we switch to 433 OR we still play 4231 but we aren't going to sign that deep-playmaker this summer because ETH is planning to convert Bruno in that deep-playmaker role after experimented him in the position when Eriksen was injured.

Huddsred

£55 million reasons why
Nobody in their right mind is going to pay £55m for a Chelsea reject. So bring the price down. Is he a good player? Yes. Is he an upgrade on Fred, McTominay and a fading Eriksen? By heck he is.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If in bigger games Bruno occupy a position on the flank. Does it mean you think against non bigger team, Bruno occupy the Eriksen's role if we play Mount in XI?

To me the spending big on Mount means either we switch to 433 OR we still play 4231 but we aren't going to sign that deep-playmaker this summer because ETH is planning to convert Bruno in that deep-playmaker role after experimented him in the position when Eriksen was injured.
You could be correct but I feel he's going to bring in another midfielder and it may even be Rabiot. And then we also have someone like Mainoo who ten Hag will have to decide if he wants him to be part of the squad or possibly send him on loan.

Mainoo fits the profile of the second midfielder in a two but is he ready to contribute at first team level is the question.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think another midfielder will be brought in to partner Casemiro in the deeper area of the midfield.

I don't see Mount as that player and he's far better in a more advanced role. It makes more sense if someone like Rabiot were to partner Casemiro in a two in the build up. But I'm hoping we target someone like a Bennacer or someone else with a similar profile.
He wouldn't be the profile of midfielder I'd ideally want in that position, but then neither would Eriksen really, despite him having been a mainstay all season when fit.

And in terms of their fundamental skill-sets I struggle to see what you're particularly losing with Mount instead of Eriksen in that role, particularly when there's the obvious upside of the greater athleticism he brings.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

This is also what I would think the most likely course would be.

Imagining some of the random signings we've been linked to most recently, something akin to:

De Gea
Frimpong - KMJ - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro
Bruno ----------- Mount
Antony --------- CF -------- Rashford
It's not what I'd look for, but I think it could probably function, especially if you upgrade the technical and passing ability of the back five.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He wouldn't be the profile of midfielder I'd ideally want in that position, but then neither would Eriksen really, despite him having been a mainstay all season when fit.

And in terms of their fundamental skill-sets I struggle to see what you're particularly losing with Mount instead of Eriksen in that role, particularly when there's the obvious upside of the greater athleticism he brings.
Eriksen wasn't the midfielder he ideally wanted either. He wanted de Jong and when that didn't happen we changed tact and had to improvise by signing Casemiro. But I still believe he wants the connector in midfield who provides the craft and guile on the ball aswell as the ability to resist/evade pressure.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think this will be a good signing, he isn't a bad player, he is a decent-good player but he doesn't have a position.

Quoted fee is way too much, I hope we don't sign him. There are other options to explore. That said, looks like Arsenal, Liverpool also wanted to sign him, maybe there is something I'm missing when watching him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If we are feeling generous and want to waste some money by donating to Chelsea, at least should do it on Kovacic.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You could be correct but I feel he's going to bring in another midfielder and it may even be Rabiot. And then we also have someone like Mainoo who ten Hag will have to decide if he wants him to be part of the squad or possibly send him on loan.

Mainoo fits the profile of the second midfielder in a two but is he ready to contribute at first team level is the question.
Playing Casemiro, Rabiot, and Bruno is fine to me but if we have Casemiro, Rabiot, and Mount then there is no playmaker in that midfield. However, I like our midfield options for next season if we end up with Casemiro, Rabiot, Eriksen, Bruno, and Mount. A defensive midfield, a ball carrier, two playmakers, and a box to box. There are different variety in those five as our midfield options next season. Pretty much Rabiot upgrades McFred while Mount upgrades Sabitzer and VDB. Those two additional in midfield is top quality upgrades from McFred, Sabitzer, and VDB

TheRedHearted

Funnily enough Ji-Sung Park was the exact player my Chelsea pal referenced when I was picking his brain about Mount.

In fact here’s his full quote:

“I don't think any of it is regression, he's won our player of the season two years running, including a season where we won the CL. During that time he's been mostly very good.

I guess for a Utd supporter the best way to describe him would be Park Ji Sung but better in basically every area.

There's been an intense amount of turmoil in his private life as well, as you can see in the news today, as well as him playing with an injury all season.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by him if you do sign him, he's one of those players who is a lot better 'live' than on TV because you can see better what he's doing and the positions he takes up and how intelligent his play is.

It could also just mean that you move to something closer to a 4-3-3, or he could play a kinda narrow right sided position.

He's very positionally flexible, and his pressing ability might mean you can be a bit more aggressive on that score. ”
What are his actual numbers? So many are easy to dismiss him but buying the right players are more so about fitting the holes the team has or getting the right fit. Like Antony shooting so much was definitely by instruction, considering Weghorst type of play was supposed to be bringing rashford and Antony into play more and letting them drift in

Status
Not open for further replies.