Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'm trusting the opinion of Ten Hag over random people to be honest.
Liverpool trusted Klopps opinion last summer too, worked out terribly for them. Blindly trusting a managers talent ID is an awful transfer strategy. I didn’t mind it last summer because we needed players familiar with ETH’s style and mentality. But shit has to come to an end at some point, especially when the players he’s enamored with cost a bomb relatively

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Think he's a managers player. Type of player that can follow out instructions to a tee, but that doesn't translate well to fans. Players like that look totally uninspiring and average to fans but can be vital in certain systems.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
At least we’ll get to see him in some of our tour matches so we can figure out what on earth he’s being asked to do

Eddy_JukeZ

Still think it's very foolish to give ETH full authority on transfers.

There should be a committee for that.

Hopefully Mount is a success. Too much smoke in this for him not to be signed.

zaafi

Liverpool played great football with “average footballers” because they allowed Michael Edwards and their transfer department to go and find undervalued players that fit Klopps way of playing. Basically the opposite of what we are doing.

Again, this isn’t a case of “shiny new toy”. It’s wanting the club to actually operate with a level of competence that we infuriatingly seem to lack. “Trusting the manager” with every signing is a great way to end up like Liverpool with Fabio Carvalho and Nunez for 120m because Klopp was enamored with both
But how do you know Mount won't fit Ten Hag's way of playing? He wants him for a reason, no?

Trust me, I'd rather have Frenkie de Jong because it fits more with how I personally want United to play, but we're a terribly run club so we got to trust Ten Hag now as he's the only manager of all the clowns we've had over the years that seems to have an actual plan.

ZainCRse7en

This guy can't even get into that poor Chelsea side. They were playing connor fking Gallagher over him ffs. For that quoted price, its a poor deal for a rotation option. Rather we go all in for Caicedo.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Liverpool trusted Klopps opinion last summer too, worked out terribly for them. Blindly trusting a managers talent ID is an awful transfer strategy. I didn’t mind it last summer because we needed players familiar with ETH’s style and mentality. But shit has to come to an end at some point, especially when the players he’s enamored with cost a bomb relatively
If he's the manager's number one target I don't really care if you like him or not to be honest. I'm willing to trust him, he's earned that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The ignorance of our fans to this fact is hilarious
Foreign fans just hate English players. Already been reading the comments on twitter and YouTube. It's full of English hating Utd fans.

Thankfully most of these fans know less than nothing about football.

ErikElevenHag

Have to laugh at the people saying he's a squad option. We're trying to get a deal done before the season has even finished, suggesting we're pursuiting him feverently.

Add in that he's fancied him since his ajax days. But given all this, people on the caf think he's going to be a squad option.

ETH obviously sees a place for him in our side and hes likely to play a lot of games for us if he should sign.

It's hardly a signing to get pulses racing I must admit, but at the same time, if ETH thinks he fits, let's give him a go.

Rolaholic

Exactly. But his name is Mason Mount and plays for England and not Eduardo Aurelien Ngombélé from Angola/France so he is shit by default.
You know these opinions are based off of people watching him playing in the very same league as our favorite club for years right?

They're not just out of the blue.

Players like Rice, Kane, James and Saka are rated highly on here even while playing for England so that's really not the hang up here with most.

AlPistacho

Think this is an intelligent signing (assuming it’s not a ridiculous fee), very SAF like signing.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
all our recent England signings have been awful
Have Weghorst and Antony have been amazing? No! Actually quite the opposite.

Nationality doesn't come into it. Signing the right player is all that matters.

We've signed some world class English players over the years too. Rio, Carrick and Rooney to name but a few.

Eddy_JukeZ

If we can get him for 50m while shifting McTominay for 30m, that's good business.

75m+ is obscene though.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It seems like such a strange situation as far as reception to the move goes.

The lad is at an age where he's just coming into his prime, and he's won Chelsea's player of the year as many time as Zola and Terry and more than Drogba... yet most United fans don't want him and most Chelsea fans don't seem arsed if he leaves.

Eddy_JukeZ

Have Weghorst and Antony have been amazing? No! Actually quite the opposite.

Nationality doesn't come into it. Signing the right player is all that matters.

We've signed some world class English players over the years too. Rio, Carrick and Rooney to name but a few.
While I agree with you, Rooney and Rio were signed almost 20 years ago.

Valencia Shin Crosses

But how do you know Mount won't fit Ten Hag's way of playing? He wants him for a reason, no?

Trust me, I'd rather have Frenkie de Jong because it fits more with how I personally want United to play, but we're a terribly run club so we got to trust Ten Hag now as he's the only manager of all the clowns we've had over the years that seems to have an actual plan.
Because I’ve watched Mount countless times over the past three years for both Chelsea and England, as well as my own team every game this past year and understand what we lack and what Mount brings to the table. It’s also becoming a pattern that we just blindly go after players that Ten Hag played with /against in the Dutch league which is ridiculous. And on top of that, again, it’s terrible business. And we should look to be as efficient as possible especially considering our limited budget going into the summer.

I’ve even said I’m fine with signing Mount if it was for decent wages and under 40m IF we buy a proper CM/CDM as well. But we are seemingly making him a top target and are willing to shell out a huge fee for a player that not only doesn’t have a clear fit, but just came off a crap season and only has a year left with his current club.

We are bailing Chelsea out and seem happy to do so. It’s idiotic

evil_geko

It is not blindly by any means, but I do trust Ten Hag much more on what players he needs for his playstyle than random Caftards thinking they know better what he needs than himself, that's for sure.

Irrational.

I don’t think anyone is doubting he can be a useful squad player, but to pay over £50 million for the English John O’Shea is ridiculous. Chelsea will be laughing all the way to the bank.

zaafi

You know these opinions are based off of people watching him playing in the very same league as our favorite club for years right?

They're not just out of the blue.

Players like Rice, Kane, James and Saka are rated highly on here even while playing for England so that's really not the hang up here with most.
Yes, I know, but that doesn't make their opinion any less dumb.

I've seen plenty of posters calling Kane overrated and "not really that good" lately too. Same with Rice. He is highly rated by some, and called clown by some. Personally I rate all of the players you listed very highly.

I think Mount, or any other Chelsea player for that matter, don't exactly benefit from switching managers or systems as often as they do. I reckon he'll do great if he comes here and plays under Ten Hag.

Djemba-Djemba

This must be a joke. Everytime I think the club has reached a turning point, they go and do something absolutely ridiculous. Mount for anything more than £30m with a year on his contract. £55m plus is a fecking disgrace. Clubs never winning another league title for at least another 10 years.
It's good you're not going over the top with it at least.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I don’t think anyone is doubting he can be a useful squad player, but to pay over £50 million for the English John O’Shea is ridiculous. Chelsea will be laughing all the way to the bank.
Name checks out

Orange Tree

You don't need to field 11 super stars to win something, but this is underwhelming.

When Casemiro gets suspended or injured, we are again gonna get fecked like this season. And he is not getting younger either.
Just cough up a bit more and bring in Caicedo.

Luminous Lizard

I’m not overly excited by him to be honest. But, I think it comes down to how much we trust ETH, so if he wants him I hope he gets him.

TsuWave

Managers are not infallible. Trusting summer recruitment solely/mostly to them doesn't seem a sustainable model.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Because I’ve watched Mount countless times over the past three years for both Chelsea and England, as well as my own team every game this past year and understand what we lack and what Mount brings to the table. It’s also becoming a pattern that we just blindly go after players that Ten Hag played with /against in the Dutch league which is ridiculous. And on top of that, again, it’s terrible business. And we should look to be as efficient as possible especially considering our limited budget going into the summer.

I’ve even said I’m fine with signing Mount if it was for decent wages and under 40m IF we buy a proper CM/CDM as well. But we are seemingly making him a top target and are willing to shell out a huge fee for a player that not only doesn’t have a clear fit, but just came off a crap season and only has a year left with his current club.

We are bailing Chelsea out and seem happy to do so. It’s idiotic
#PanicBuy #Embarrasing

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Foreign fans just hate English players. Already been reading the comments on twitter and YouTube. It's full of English hating Utd fans.

Thankfully most of these fans know less than nothing about football.
You're imagining things.

evil_geko

This might be the worst post in this thread so far. :houllier:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
While I agree with you, Rooney and Rio were signed almost 20 years ago.
So what. The point was our recent track record which is totally irrelevant. Maybe we have just been awful at identifying them.

I think some of our younger and incredibly childish fans have been scarred for life with Maguire. They automatically think any English player is going to fail now.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

Valencia Shin Crosses

If he's the manager's number one target I don't really care if you like him or not to be honest. I'm willing to trust him, he's earned that.
Well no shite, this is a discussion thread but sure go ahead and trust Erik as we get possessed 80/20 by Arsenal and I have to read 5 threads complaining about Mount and us not being able to control games.

Again, blindly trusting managers is stupidity even if they are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.