Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil You Know

I think we'll migrate to a strategy like the one City have played in recent years (the W-M formation or 3-2-2-3), with AWB dropping into RCB from RB and Shaw pushing up from LB into CM whenever we attack. From there, the likes of Bruno and Mount will have more freedom to get up the pitch. In that scenario, the pursuit of Mount makes a lot more sense because he'd only really be a part-time midfielder. The rest of the time he'll be creating or getting into the box.

On the issue of AWB, I know he's often been caught out of position at the back post in recent years. But I'm struggling to remember the last time it happened. If the coaches have fixed that problem of his, he'd be perfect for the Kyle Walker role.

sourdough satellite

Unfortunately there isn't a player like that available. These profiles are very rare because you need an extreme and unique skillset to pull off what they do. There is de Jong, but he doesn't want to come. Maybe Brozovic could do a good job there, but he's 31 this year and would be a short term solution. I think he recently extended his contract anyway.
Maxence Caqueret and Martin Zubimendi are the 2 names that come to my mind for that DLP role. I think they're pretty gettable.

Shake Jism

The problem is we probably will have to overpay for Mount. A fair price range for Mount with a year to go on his contract and a poor season last year would be £30-40m.
Yes, I can see that. I think we have to be smarter and not keep being held to ransom, even if it means missing out.

zaafi

Maxence Caqueret and Martin Zubimendi are the 2 names that come to my mind for that DLP role. I think they're pretty gettable.
Caqueret is really press resistant, but a very average passer. If you're gonna be a deep lying playmaker, you definitely need to be an excellent passer.

Zubimendi is a decent shout. I remember wanting to sign him a year or two back, but forgetting about him as he was Barca bound. Not sure if he still is?
Looking at his passing on fbref, he seems to have gotten worse this season.

Trex

I can see us playing a 3241 in possession e.g
GK
Dalot Varane Martinez
Casemiro Shaw
Antony Bruno Mount Rashford
CF
There'll be more emphasis on pressing from the front, in Possession Shaw will seat at the base of a left sided triangle with Mount and Rashford interplaying between Half space and wide left, same with happen on the right between RB, Antony and Bruno.
When you think of Conte Chelsea had Alonso, Hazard, Costa, Pedro and Moses pushing forward with the other five outfielders covering and working the build up. Klopps Liverpool at it best Robertson, Mane, Firmino, Salah, Arnold doing same. With the other five outfielder working the build up and covering. Pep various tactical variation will always have five pushing forward as well.
If we added a De Jong type to our midfield in place of Eriksen it means we'll only be utilizing 4 outfielders capable of making things happen in the final third with any decent regularity as none of our fullbacks can be described as a pure attacking fullback like prime Marcelo or Arnold. So it makes more sense to utilize them as inside fullbacks and give freedom to two midfielders to join the front three. This is why Mount is targeted because he can do that but also has top notch work ethic which Eriksen lacks.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Last year we spent all summer trying to sign De Jong. Now we’ve downgraded to Mount and this is gonna be another long saga. Why not go back in for De Jong, he may say yes this time since we’re back in the Cl and he can see we’ve progressed, plus Barca are more desperate for money.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Last year we spent all summer trying to sign De Jong. Now we’ve downgraded to Mount and this is gonna be another long saga. Why not go back in for De Jong, he may say yes this time since we’re back in the Cl and he can see we’ve progressed, plus Barca are more desperate for money.
I don't see how this will be a particularly long saga. We're at a point where he either renews or tells Chelsea he's not signing any contract they put Infront of him because he wants to come to us. We're pretty clear how much we're willing to pay if they are selling.

Jericholyte2

I can see us playing a 3241 in possession e.g
GK
Dalot Varane Martinez
Casemiro Shaw
Antony Bruno Mount Rashford
CF
There'll be more emphasis on pressing from the front, in Possession Shaw will seat at the base of a left sided triangle with Mount and Rashford interplaying between Half space and wide left, same with happen on the right between RB, Antony and Bruno.
When you think of Conte Chelsea had Alonso, Hazard, Costa, Pedro and Moses pushing forward with the other five outfielders covering and working the build up. Klopps Liverpool at it best Robertson, Mane, Firmino, Salah, Arnold doing same. With the other five outfielder working the build up and covering. Pep various tactical variation will always have five pushing forward as well.
If we added a De Jong type to our midfield in place of Eriksen it means we'll only be utilizing 4 outfielders capable of making things happen in the final third with any decent regularity as none of our fullbacks can be described as a pure attacking fullback like prime Marcelo or Arnold. So it makes more sense to utilize them as inside fullbacks and give freedom to two midfielders to join the front three. This is why Mount is targeted because he can do that but also has top notch work ethic which Eriksen lacks.
ETH played that system a lot in the last 1/3 of the season, but with AWB next to Casemiro with Shaw staying out wide.

Agree with the rest of your post.

city-puma

ETH has different idea now.

DJ_21

I don't see how this will be a particularly long saga. We're at a point where he either renews or tells Chelsea he's not signing any contract they put Infront of him because he wants to come to us. We're pretty clear how much we're willing to pay if they are selling.
But if they don’t budge, they’ll either sell him for much cheaper In January Or lose him for free but keep him for another full season. We shouldn’t be messing about too long with this. We should be signing Rabiot and getting Mount either in January or next summer. I feel like if another team came in for him in a different country they’d happily sell for 50m. It’s because it’s us and in the same league.

DJ_21

ETH has different idea now.
Different Idea as in tactics? Same idea about chasing someone for longer than needs be. We need to start giving clubs deadlines, either accept our offer this week or we’ll look for someone els.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Why not go back in for De Jong, he may say yes this time since we’re back in the Cl and he can see we’ve progressed, plus Barca are more desperate for money.
I'd assume Barca still haven't paid him his diferred wages in full yet, so we would most likely reach the same standstill in negotiations.

Rolaholic

They're having a proper laugh especially with the difficulty they're having getting rid of players

Lee565

If we sign him we better also be signing a new gk and top class striker, otherwise you would have to question our strategy of wasting so much time and money on mount who is going to cost north of 40 million easily when we need to be investing time and money in far more important first team positions that need solving

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
But if they don’t budge, they’ll either sell him for much cheaper In January Or lose him for free but keep him for another full season. We shouldn’t be messing about too long with this. We should be signing Rabiot and getting Mount either in January or next summer. I feel like if another team came in for him in a different country they’d happily sell for 50m. It’s because it’s us and in the same league.
That's up to them, doesn't seem like we're wasting much time on it. Our position is pretty clear.

Striker is the priority, this is clearly just a good opportunity.

L1nk

If we sign him we better also be signing a new gk and top class striker, otherwise you would have to question our strategy of wasting so much time and money on mount who is going to cost north of 40 million easily when we need to be investing time and money in far more important first team positions that need solving
ETH clearly see’s his as a priority position that needs solving, the 8 nest to Bruno and Casemiro

criticalanalysis

He's not a bad player but for god's sake he's so underwhelming to what I had imagine a midfield transfer would be for this summer. Hopefully it's just nonsense.

Happy to eat humble pie if he comes and smashes it next season but I just don't understand it.

Casemiro is going to have nightmares playing behind Mount and Bruno.

KD6-3.7

I just can’t get behind this signing because it’s so incredibly underwhelming. Why just can’t we go for someone with some composure, we are never going to be able to deal with teams who press if we don’t upgrade our midfield with some more technical ability. But also spending this much on a minor upgrade in midfield should not be a priority over a top class GK.

L1nk

He's not a bad player but for god's sake he's so underwhelming to what I had imagine a midfield transfer would be for this summer. Hopefully it's just nonsense.

Happy to eat humble pie if he comes and smashes it next season but I just don't understand it.

Casemiro is going to have nightmares playing behind Mount and Bruno.
I'm afraid this isn't nonsense, not when Ornstein, Laurie, Fabrizio and more and more have reported it. Unless we really walk away because Chelsea won't lower their demands, we are well and truly set on this guy so you'll need to get used to it

RedStarUnited

I just can’t get behind this signing because it’s so incredibly underwhelming. Why just can’t we go for someone with some composure, we are never going to be able to deal with teams who press if we don’t upgrade our midfield with some more technical ability. But also spending this much on a minor upgrade in midfield should not be a priority over a top class GK.
I feel the same way. We badly need a Rodri type to help us keep the ball.

Dempsey19

I hope to christ Chelsea stick to their guns for 80m so we won't persue it any longer.

But I fear that the numpties in charge won't be deterred by 80m and end up paying it.

Red00012

Have we a plan b if we don’t get Mount? Or is it a FDJ saga that will drag on until august?
Mount is certainly not worth spending a summer haggling over. We can always go again in January if Chelsea won’t lower their demands

Dominos

Who else is out there, apart from Rodri?
This is really not the place to be asking that question. The people to be asking are the 50+ scouts we employ. If you're telling me £70m on Mason Mount on the last year of his contract is the best we can come up with to improve our midfield, our scouting team are stealing a living, or they're just not being listened to in which case I question the purpose of employing them in the first place.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's just young enough to potentially wait it out. Chelsea refuse to be reasonable, just wait til January. Unlike whatever Boehly is up to, we should try and at least be somewhat sensible given how broken out squad is. Speak to Mount, get an offer he's happy with and then assure him it'll get done in January.

Given Chelsea clearly have no intention whatsoever of hitting FFP requirements, I'm not sure they have much motivation.

criticalanalysis

I'm afraid this isn't nonsense, not when Ornstein, Laurie, Fabrizio and more and more have reported it. Unless we really walk away because Chelsea won't lower their demands, we are well and truly set on this guy so you'll need to get used to it
Thanks, unfortunately I'm well aware. I'm just trying to tell myself otherwise :(

I haven't felt such a 'bad' feeling about a signing in ages. In hindsight, the Sanchez, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, Falcao etc and many more were all 'bad' transfers and whilst we may have had questions, their quality, the hype and need for them in their positions was at least obvious and made sense. This one just doesn't especially if the figures quoted and our serious intent are anything to go by.

It'll require a 180 degree change of tactics, a massive progression in coaching AND other new personnel to bring the best out of both Mount and the team i.e there's a lot of variables to get right.

I have faith in ETH but this sort of strikes me as a recruitment team target. English - check, young - check, energetic and runs about - check, meets homegrown status - check, very good stats (albeit 18months ago) etc; everything looks good on paper.

L1nk

Thanks, unfortunately I'm well aware. I'm just trying to tell myself otherwise :(

I haven't felt such a 'bad' feeling about a signing in ages. In hindsight, the Sanchez, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, Falcao etc and many more were all 'bad' transfers and whilst we may have had questions, their quality, the hype and need for them in their positions was at least obvious and made sense. This one just doesn't especially if the figures quoted and our serious intent are anything to go by.

It'll require a 180 degree change of tactics, a massive progression in coaching AND other new personnel to bring the best out of both Mount and the team i.e there's a lot of variables to get right.

I have faith in ETH but this sort of strikes me as a recruitment team target. English - check, young - check, energetic and runs about - check, meets homegrown status - check, very good stats (albeit 18months ago) etc; everything looks good on paper.
This is definitely a combination of ETH and the recruitment team - of course it helps the club with the homegrown quota that he's English, but it has been widelyt reported that ETH has been keeping tabs on him since he was at loan at Vitesse and he helped beat ETH's Ajax with a good performance, it's likely the recruitment team made him aware of Mount's situation at Chelsea and ETH was more than eager to see if we could take advantage of that.

I feel like we definitely could be targetting better midfielders and probably at a better price, I would say anywhere between 50-60 is too much considering his contract situation, but I think he is relatively talented, has something the manager wants, the usual English tax, but also that Chelsea would be selling to another big club in England add on to the price, when I look at it that way 50-60 doesn't seem so bad, even though I know it looks it on paper.

Again I know where you are coming from, but I definitely see him as having maybe Eriksen and Fred moulded into 1 player (I know he has worse passing than Eriksen) who can fill in that number 8 slot. I know you say a 180 degree change in tactics but I don't think it's as much as you might think. Originally when he joined ETH seemed keen on recreating his original Ajax tactics and team - made obvious by his mad obsession with us getting FDJ that summer... but as the season has progressed I think he's changed his tune and wants us to play with a holding 6 in Casemiro (Alvarez) and two mobile 8's in Mount and Bruno (Gravenberch and Berghuis) but the current team we have just cannot do this effectively. Fred is mobile as all hell but he's clumsy, is prone to just missing 5 yard passes constantly and his output is pretty dreadful, he's never had a good a season as Mount has had in pure goals and assists numbers. Eriksen can pass for days but he's extremely slow, immobile and has no physical presence or tenacity about him meaning that the press cannot work and our midfield gets bypassed easily.

With Mount and a preseason I feel like we'll be seeing a much better midfield next season, even if I originally didn't quite believe it, and I know you and a lot of others here don't see it. But I have some faith and I hope my post has given you a little too!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Most United fans want a high volume/accuracy passer as the partner to Casemiro. Players like FdJ or say Kovacic in Chelsea. Our team lacks that player who links the defense and attack. Casemiro is great defensively, and Bruno is an elite creator, what we need is an elite ball player. Many fear Mount is not that guy.
Mount is a very good passer. There stats show he is the most accurate long passer in the league, and his overall passing % stays at around 85% most of the time, even though he is playing most of his pass in the final third.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So where would he play?
It’s evidential from FA Cup final ETH is looking to change his system and play double no.8 in front of Casemiro. The main role is to press hard in the advance position and help out the attack. Mount is actually the most obvious choice as he is young and readily available in the market, and is known to be good presser, good passer and has good numbers (13g+16a) in previous season too. He is also a press resistant player, which ETH requires. Basically he could combine the role of Eriksen and Fred into one, and might be exactly the type of player ETG is looking for in our midfield, hence he is known to be our top target this summer,

SAFMUTD

It’s evidential from FA Cup final ETH is looking to change his system and play double no.8 in front of Casemiro. The main role is to press hard in the advance position and help out the attack. Mount is actually the most obvious choice as he is young and readily available in the market, and is known to be good presser, good passer and has good numbers (13g+16a) in previous season too. He is also a press resistant player, which ETH requires. Basically he could combine the role of Eriksen and Fred into one, and might be exactly the type of player ETG is looking for in our midfield, hence he is known to be our top target this summer,
Getting that from the FA cup final is a long shot to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.