Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinjiNinja26

You can have him for free next season. Either pay up or take him for free next season if you can. As you said he is not worth it why even bother about it.

Caicedo will be great for you. It's really unfortunate your manager want mount. :)
If it was up to me we wouldn’t be in for him full stop but ETH obviously thinks he’d be a good fit for his system. I think this gets done for around £55-60m tops. Aye Caicedo would be an excellent signing but doesn’t seem to be the priority for us at the moment.

John_Jensen

Chelsea really want to get some sales on their accounts before the FFP deadline of June 30th, expect them to accept a couple of lowball offers for players in or around then.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
If it was up to me we wouldn’t be in for him full stop but ETH obviously thinks he’d be a good fit for his system. I think this gets done for around £55-60m tops. Aye Caicedo would be an excellent signing but doesn’t seem to be the priority for us at the moment.
Fair enough. The player got double digit goals and assists for us not long ago so we are not going to give him up easily.

If the decision is mine I will add add-ons and make him worth 80 mn but 55-60 mn up front.

I believe he will meet conditions to trigger all the clauses to make him worth 80 mn.

If manutd not okay with this I will keep him and he will be vital for us to get into cl again. So will not bother about let him for free next season if still not able to persuade him into sign new contract.

Crimson King

Fair enough. The player got double digit goals and assists for us not long ago so we are not going to give him up easily.

If the decision is mine I will add add-ons and make him worth 80 mn but 55-60 mn up front.

I believe he will meet conditions to trigger all the clauses to make him worth 80 mn.

If manutd not okay with this I will keep him and he will be vital for us to get into cl again. So will not bother about let him for free next season if still not able to persuade him into sign new contract.
At the rate Chelsea are collecting players at the moment, I'm not sure how many minutes Mount will see.

If he's not going to sign a new contract, they're going to favour giving playing time to new players they've signed for big money and on long contracts.

It's not the same as someone like Kane, who is completely irreplaceable, and so maybe you do play him every game, hope you get UCL, then let him go on a free.

Personally I still think that's bad forward planning, and you're better off getting what you can and to start preparing for the future.

Abraxas

This is what we need to do more of in the market. You can't constantly roll over because the manager wants a certain target. It sets you up as the mugs in the market and the knock on impact goes beyond securing one player.

If we have a valuation we believe is sensible, stick to it. There's always some compromise, but again, it has to be a compromise near to our valuation, not extending well beyond it.

This is why recruitment strategy is really important so you're not backed into a corner. There really should be Plan A, B and C. For most transfers there shouldn't be a huge step down between them otherwise what the hell have you been looking at all year? For some transfers there clearly will be for unique talents. But I don't think Mason Mount is a unique talent.

aeh1991

This is it, by asking for £70 million it engineers the mentality that £50-55 million is a good deal for Utd. The reality is it’s still far too much for an out of form player with a year left on his contract.
Exactly and some members here are content with that. He is nowhere near 50m with his form and with one year left. Shouldnt pay more than 30m, but as it is how it is we will add 20m on top of it.

manutddjw

I think we'll get him it'll be later on and we'll drastically overpay. I forsee our window looking like this:

- Kim Min Jae
- Rasmus Hojlund
- Mason Mount

Possibly Rabiot on a free but my gut says he stays at Juventus.

Ghostrider318

40m is right for Mount. Anything more is daylight robbery. If we pay 80m for him Im going to officially give up on this club for the 10000th time

Dont we have scouts that notify us of emerging talents from other countries / leagues for a lesser fee ?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Alright, move to the next target please. Someone needs to protect EtH from these silly mistakes in the market.

TheGodsInRed

I find bidding 40m after Chelsea told us 80 to be a bit pointless. That's not even good tactics, they are just going to reject it and make us bid again. If anything just set a hard cap at 50m and tell them to feck themselves if they don't even counter.
They were always going to reject the first offer so a lowball makes sense. They need to sell by 30th June, so maybe they are more likely to accept the second offer.

L1nk

At least we've bid for a player on the day of the window opening? That feels like an improvement right?

Abraxas

55 is probably okay but it would be a maximum for me. Especially if you can get that fee including add ons and well structured.

End of the day he's a very good player, he's English, still fairly young. So he has some pluses that make him a bit more expensive.

It's okay saying to ten Hag it's too expensive for the last year of his contract, which maybe it is, but if you then go to the next target number 8 and he costs you a likely 50 million anyway, the manager would be wondering why you didn't just secure his prime target. Players are not cheap these days unless you speculate on the unproven. So sometimes you have to make sure you're not cutting your nose off to spite your face by playing hardball.

I think (hope) 50-55 will be our limit and it will be a case of posturing and negotiating up to that figure and hoping Chelsea compromise too. I think the reason they come in low is not in any expectation of success, but you are not seen to be compromising if you throw down 50 million take it or leave it. It just puts the negotiation in a very fixed position which might not be good tactics.

Valencia Shin Crosses

They were always going to reject the first offer so a lowball makes sense. They need to sell by 30th June, so maybe they are more likely to accept the second offer.
Sure if we were a competently operating club I'd agree. But we've seen years of evidence that instead we just tend to do this stupid thing where a team sets a price, we bid low = rejected. And then bid again slightly higher = rejected. And continue to do this until we basically match asking price while wasting time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Limit at 55m and no higher and I'll be happy. Even that's a bit much, but he will be a very good signing, much needed with his age and energy and being a talented player himself.

Dominos

Whilst I'm usually not a fan of us taking so long to get a transfer over the line, this one it makes complete sense to wait it out till the price drops.

Chelsea are not in a strong negotiating position unless they're legitimately willing to let him leave for free which I doubt they are given FFP and the money they've spent recently and plan to spend this summer, selling Mount now is straight up £50m profit for them given he's a youth product. Despite interest from other clubs, once a player has chosen the club he wants to join (like in this case) it effectively a one horse race so the competition shouldn't be a reason for us to bend over and pay over the odds.

Though I'm probably not bothered about it taking months to complete because I'm not enthuasistic about this signing at all to be fair.

TheGodsInRed

Sure if we were a competently operating club I'd agree. But we've seen years of evidence that instead we just tend to do this stupid thing where a team sets a price, we bid low = rejected. And then bid again slightly higher = rejected. And continue to do this until we basically match asking price while wasting time.
Hopefully we make one more offer and make it clear it's the final offer, otherwise we will sign him free next year.

Makes no sense to overpay for players we can sign for free next year. Especially with our FFP limitations (due to the fact we always overpay).

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
:lol: Typical United would be buying him for £78m in late August. With his deal expiring we do have an upper hand here though and I expect it to get done around £60m this month.

cyberman

I find bidding 40m after Chelsea told us 80 to be a bit pointless. That's not even good tactics, they are just going to reject it and make us bid again. If anything just set a hard cap at 50m and tell them to feck themselves if they don't even counter.
Your negotiating skills are sorely lacking my friend

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Mount ranked fifth in the Premier League over those two seasons for chances created (145), behind only Kevin De Bruyne, Bruno Fernandes, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Son Heung-min. He was eighth for total assists (15) but ranked fourth for expected assists (13.8), suggesting that others’ totals were bloated by good finishing in a way that Mount’s wasn’t. Harry Kane, for example, got 23 assists in that period from just 9.2 xA, and Andy Robertson got 17 assists from 11.4 xA.

Mount was integral to just about everything Chelsea did. He was a key cog in the aggressive high press that Chelsea played (10.2 PPDA, the second lowest in the Premier League), ranking 21st in the league for possession regains in the attacking third (40), with 10 more than any other Chelsea player. The success of Chelsea’s press in this period was often in forcing a rushed ball forwards and regaining the ball in midfield rather than directly winning the ball high up the pitch, and Mount was integral to ensuring the team had perfect shape to force the opposition long.
Looking at the best players over this two-year period for expected goals and expected assists gives us an interesting list. Seven players averaged more than 0.2 expected goals and 0.2 expected assists per 90 over the course of those two seasons: De Bruyne, Fernandes, Riyad Mahrez, Mohamed Salah, Jack Grealish, Raphinha and Mount. In other words, in the seasons 2020-21 and 2021-22, these seven players were the most consistent creators who were also a consistent goal threat.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
You can have him for free next season. Either pay up or take him for free next season if you can. As you said he is not worth it why even bother about it.

Caicedo will be great for you. It's really unfortunate your manager want mount. :)
If mounts worth 70m then what is caicedo worth? :lol: Best option would be for us to take rabiot on a free, sign lavia for 40m then mount on a free next season or very cheap in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.