Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gajender

When did we do this? I don't remember briefing "this is our last offer" and then making one more bid.
We actually don't and more often than not when we put a brief like this involving Stones , it usually gets done soon atleast that's my impression .

Aretak

Why do we always overpay for players that play in positions that aren't the biggest concern
The midfield is a major concern. Eriksen and Casemiro both had a pretty mixed second half of the season and often looked off the pace, whilst McTominay, Fred and Donny are nowhere near good enough and Sabitzer is very unlikely to stay. Expecting Bruno to single-handedly provide legs to the midfield for another season would be a mistake. One injury and you're left with one of the most static midfields in the league. For me, Mount makes perfect sense as a target when you look at the current options. The squad is sorely lacking in O'Shea or Park-style utility figures who will work their bollocks off and can cover a whole range of positions. I don't think £55m would be overpaying by much, if at all given his age and nationality, though £70m+ obviously would.

Mainoldo

The Real Madrid that spend big but also win their league and Champions League on a regular basis and just recently invested in their brand new stadium? There is no comparison between Manchester United and Real Madrid.
Good case study then. As long as you are successful it doesn’t matter about your poor business. :lol:

Also keep it to the point I was referring to. Your response is about our ownership.

the_cliff

If we get Mount and Rabiot that means we've gone from a midfield of Bruno/mctominay/Fred/Pereira/Matic/Lingard to a midfield of Bruno/casemiro/eriksen/Mount/Rabiot in the space of 2 seasons I think that's very good I don't get all the complaining.

OmarUnited4ever

55m is bit too much but if it helps in resolving the transfer quicker then fair enough but we shouldn't cave in easily, I like Mount but he ain't 55m player at this moment since he had a poor season and he is the on his last year of contract

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We actually don't and more often than not when we put a brief like this involving Stones , it usually gets done soon atleast that's my impression .
That's how I remember. We usually overpay and get the signing done or we brief the excuse on why we couldn't complete the transfer.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Hope we accept this offer so this saga can be over with and we can start bringing player in next week rather than sending them out.

£55m or more is a fantastic haul for someone who is in his final year and who no longer wants to be here. We’d be stupid to dig our heels in for more than that.

Castia

At the end of the day we aren’t getting another player of Mounts ability for 55m.

Do it. Will be a great addition

mctrials23

Be sensible, Mount is never going to command those types of wages. And if he does, you simply don't move for him.
If we sign Mount on a 5 year contract we will be paying him circa £200k/week along with lets says a £55m transfer fee. Thats £107m over the course of the contract. Thats £410,000/week along with paying a large chunk of that up front. He would 100% be commanding a very high salary as a free agent.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Saw this, interesting since it’s a terrible season v best.

They are very similar level players at the moment, so this doesn't surprise me. Mount at his best is a better player. He's also surprisingly younger!

DWelbz19

The midfield is a major concern. Eriksen and Casemiro both had a pretty mixed second half of the season and often looked off the pace, whilst McTominay, Fred and Donny are nowhere near good enough and Sabitzer is very unlikely to stay. Expecting Bruno to single-handedly provide legs to the midfield for another season would be a mistake. One injury and you're left with one of the most static midfields in the league. For me, Mount makes perfect sense as a target when you look at the current options. The squad is sorely lacking in O'Shea or Park-style utility figures who will work their bollocks off and can cover a whole range of positions. I don't think £55m would be overpaying by much, if at all given his age and nationality, though £70m+ obviously would.
Central midfield is a massive concern, I agree. The question about Mount is not player ability but more whether he is the correct tactical fit, given he's far more of an offensive 8/hard-working no.10 like Bruno Fernandes.

Leg-End

I thought the price tag would be an overpay and it probably will be a small one but in todays market you don't get much for less than £50 million.

I will still take come convincing that Mount is the type of player to move us up a few levels but if ETH wants him then that's good with me.

Bondi77

If we sign Mount on a 5 year contract we will be paying him circa £200k/week along with lets says a £55m transfer fee. Thats £107m over the course of the contract. Thats £410,000/week along with paying a large chunk of that up front. He would 100% be commanding a very high salary as a free agent.
We are paying Varane 300k a week for playing once a fortnight.

Wolfbot

Central midfield is a massive concern, I agree. The question about Mount is not player ability but more whether he is the correct tactical fit, given he's far more of an offensive 8/hard-working no.10 like Bruno Fernandes.
I was pretty negative about this transfer at first but the more I've thought about it I realise he's likely to be a really good acquisition if we get him.

Eriksen brings a lot of on the ball quality but in a lot of games I watched he blew up and couldn't get around the park, absolutely bypassed in midfield by other teams which meant we were immediately under pressure.

Fred has the energy but often little on the ball quality so Mount could well be somewhere in between for that midfield spot. We also don't have decent cover for Bruno if he needs to be rested or gets injured, Mount could play that role as well potentially.

Time will tell but could actually be a really shrewd signing if we get him.

New Era 77

I fear United will once again overpay for a player that seemingly is being sought out, due to being a cheaper English alternative, when in reality Declan Rice is the player who would define our midfield for years to come.

CM

It doesn't work that way though. He might get a larger sign on fee in lieu of a transfer fee but he wouldn't receive substantially higher wages as a result.

Mount on 400k a week is a recipe to break any club's wage structure.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Saw this, interesting since it’s a terrible season v best.

Can they put his best season that is 21/22 as best vs best comparison wheel.
Curious how much he would be valued at if he had 2+ years left on his contract?
You will have to sign some other player. If he has two years in contract you can't price him away from us. If you asked so may be 100 mn +.

DWelbz19

I was pretty negative about this transfer at first but the more I've thought about it I realise he's likely to be a really good acquisition if we get him.

Eriksen brings a lot of on the ball quality but in a lot of games I watched he blew up and couldn't get around the park, absolutely bypassed in midfield by other teams which meant we were immediately under pressure.

Fred has the energy but often little on the ball quality so Mount could well be somewhere in between for that midfield spot. We also don't have decent cover for Bruno if he needs to be rested or gets injured, Mount could play that role as well potentially.

Time will tell but could actually be a really shrewd signing if we get him.
I'm pretty on the fence - I think Mount offers a lot of positives but doesn't do much about the general negatives we have in midfield (mostly ball retention in the first and middle phase of the pitch).

I also think he's obviously a better footballer than Eriksen and Fred, but I don't think either of those are close to good enough to be starting XI quality.

In an ideal world I'd rather we spent that £55m on an equivalent central midfielder who plays more in the middle third, ticks possession around, commands the ball a bit more to prevent Casemiro (and sometimes Fernandes) from just instantly pumping the ball to a Rashford over the top run.

We aren't getting that, though, so I just hope Haggy has a clear plan in mind with fitting Mount in.

Kag

I think Mount is one of these players where, as supporters, you probably have to accept that there is more to him than meets the eye.

I’ve never really bought into him as a player, and that’s primarily based on what I’ve seen of him in an England shirt. Lots of fart and no shit is my general impression.

But this is a guy who has played more or less every single game under Lampard, Tuchel and Southgate and is now highly sought after by Ten Hag. Pochettino is reportedly keen to work with him, and there have been plenty of links with Liverpool under Klopp.

I think we need to trust the manager on this one. Ideally, I’d like more ball retention in the middle of the park, but Ten Hag will have his plans for what his team will eventually look like, and we won’t be sanctioning the best part of £60 million if he didn’t think it’d work.

Donut

The way I look at it is we are getting a very good player from a rival team for what is still a fee below his market value and who they normally wouldn’t sell at all (if he still had a longer contract). Very similar to Van Persie signing, hopefully he turns out as good eh.

mctrials23

It doesn't work that way though. He might get a larger sign on fee in lieu of a transfer fee but he wouldn't receive substantially higher wages as a result.

Mount on 400k a week is a recipe to break any club's wage structure.
How much did Ramsey earn at Juve as a free agent? He isn't anywhere near the player Mount is.

marktan

Chelsea's player of the season twice during 2 seasons they got the top 4 and 1 of which they won the champions league where Mount made the goal.

You really do need to give your head a wobble.
So what? What does a fan vote have to do with anything? The more important is the player fit and what he brings. For £55m what are we getting? A guy that runs a lot but rarely creates anything?

marktan

Broader point but regarding the idea that we'd still be miles behind City, well yes. Aside from cheating, they got to where they are by building across many, many years to suit the style of play of a brilliant manager who they were planning for even before he arrived. It would equally be many, many years before we have the level of depth and quality to actually be on par with them, even if we do everything right.

But you can still be very successful well before hitting that point. During the "peak" of Klopp's Liverpool they still had nowhere near the depth of quality City did, a far more workman like selection of midfielders (Wijnaldum, Henderson, Can, Milner, Fabinho, Keita, etc.) and were obviously far less dominant across multiple seasons.

But that was still enough for them to win the PL, win the CL and to narrowly miss out on winning both a second time, because they were still built to be a high functioning team. I'd happily sign up to that sort of inferiority to City over the next four years.

Point being we should be less concerned with how players we sign match up to City man to man and more concerned with how well they help us become that sort of high-functioning team in our own right.
That's a flawed comparison, mainly because Liverpool's front 3 of Salah, Firmino and Mane were far better than anything we have and so could compensate for less creativity from midfield (and I include Rashford - great season but he's a tier below Mane or Salah).

And of course having Klopp manage them.

sokol11

Thinking about it. Mount, Onana and some not crooked striker who can find a net + some young potential or two would not be bad summer.

pawanraj

I like Mount, so I hope we get this done. Mount can cover for Bruno and Eriksen, and be a starter where we need more energy in the midfield. In a pinch he can tackle and defend too. More importantly, I think he's one of those people who'll always give you a 6-7/10 performance... That consistency will be huge for us.

A midfield with options of Eriksen, Mount, Fred, Bruno, Casemiro, AND TOM HUDDLESTONE will give us a solid set of options depending on our setup.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Well have to admit I was wrong about this, thought he was definitely angling for a new deal. Chelsea must have really pissed him off.

I think this get's done and hope he's a great success - I've definitely warmed to him, as I was very sceptical about what he could bring originally.
You're no longer sceptical on what he can bring because it looks like it might actually happen?

Kaos

A lot of you seem fairly confident we're getting Rabiot on a free - is this just wishful conjecture or are we actually in for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.