Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
We also need to keep McTominay now.
Sabitzer was only signed because Eriksen got a long term injury. He's back now. Mount replaces Fred and drops Eriksen to the bench. I agree that if we sell Mctominay, we'll need to bring another player in. This will leave us with Bruno, Eriksen, Mount, Casemiro, new signing and Donny? This should be enough for next season. Especially when you add youth into the mix.

lex talionis

Decent enough player who improves the squad.. but we have definitely overpaid and his wages are high too. Feel like we could’ve got a better player for the money we paid elsewhere.

English tax and United tax is real.
To win big trophies a club needs to spend big. We overpaid for Maguire and Antony, neither of whom are on the genius buy of all time list, but the amount we just spent on Mason actually feels about right.

But we shall see if the man produces the product.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If it's happening, we'll have to do some Moyes-announcement style "well, it might be good, could it be good" style backtracking.

And a lot of talk of how we've signed big name exciting players and most have gone to turd, so the underwhelming ones could come good?
Ok that's how we'll play this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sabitzer was only signed because Eriksen got a long term injury. He's back now. Mount replaces Fred and drops Eriksen to the bench. I agree that if we sell Mctominay, we'll need to bring another player in. This will leave us with Bruno, Eriksen, Mount, Casemiro, new signing and Donny? This should be enough for next season. Especially when you add youth into the mix.
Saw some vid that Sabitzer is still on the players you can select for a kit, whereas Weigy isn't.
Wonder if that's at all significant or just an oversight?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Careful mate.

That tweet might be too positive about our new signing.
I think it's a good signing and it'll be interesting to see how ten Hag constructs the build up phase. Because the stronger the build up phase is from deeper the better Mount will perform. So the progression from the back will be key and Onana's ability to take advantage of being the free man in the first phase has huge potential. But I do expect another midfielder to be bought, whether that is Lavia or another player who is comfortable in the build up against the press.

So at this moment in time a picture is being drawn but we have to wait until the end of the window to see the result.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Erm, Phat Phranck used him quite a bit as an 8 both for Chelsea and Derby, so you don't really know what you're talking about. Mason has also mentioned that 8 is his preferred position. Having Bruno, it's obvious Ten Hag got him to play him as a box to box 8, which is exactly what we need. You could see this so lacking in Erickson. Maybe you you know something Ten Hag doesn't, which you surely think you do.
Christ well if we are using positions from 5 years ago then sure. But even then he was asked to be the most attacking/forward thinking of the 3, essentially what Bruno was doing this year. Bruno played as a box to box 8 in like 2 games and also doesn't offer the ball carrying capabilities you actually need from the position (Mount does).

Either way, people keep mentioning how brilliant he was for Chelsea in recent years before this year, when (again) he was never an 8 in those games under Tuchel. You can't reference how great a player was as evidence when it wasn't even in the same position that we will presumbably deploy him as. That's like if PSG signed Rashford as a striker signing and their fans talking about how brilliant he was for us, but also saying he's played striker before (rarely, on emergency or many years ago).

Belisarius

Fred clearly has the most utility of those 3, sell the other two.
I agree with this. But, Fred is 30 and will have no re-sale value after this year. If we can get 20 m for him now to help fund a striker signing I would be okay making do with Donny or Scott as our 5th choice mid-fielder. Particularly because I think it will be difficult to sell Donny until he's proven he can come back from the knee injury.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I agree with this. But, Fred is 30 and will have no re-sale value after this year. If we can get 20 m for him now to help fund a striker signing I would be okay making do with Donny or Scott as our 5th choice mid-fielder. Particularly because I think it will be difficult to sell Donny until he's proven he can come back from the knee injury.
I think McTominay clearly has the most market value of the three though.

luke511

Giving in and paying 60 million, more than the third and final take it or leave it offer, on an out of form player with a year left on his contract is fecking hilarious. Murtough could’ve been the mastermind behind Woodward’s incompetence in the window after all.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Hey Chelsea fan. You're supposed to be devastated.
I am about losing Mase, I really liked him. As he refused to sign again and had really big wage demands, and we got a great price…I can recover quickly.

He really is a baller.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I am about losing Mase, I really liked him. As he refused to sign again and had really big wage demands, and we got a great price…I can recover quickly.

He really is a baller.
Cmon. Now you are just overdoing it.:lol:

sixdwarf

Cannot get overexcited about this until we get at least one striker which is a priority. £60m for Mount is waaaaay over the top as usual for United when Maddison was £38m and Kovacic was £25m. But let’s hope he can be a shiny jewel under Ten Hag.

For me Mount is as OTT in terms of transfer fees as Declan Rice. And ask yourself who else other than United is paying £60m for Mount. There was zero competition. We are on our own on that score.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
My fav thing about Mount is that he has some swagger, justified or not. I want good humans at this club but it also feels like we ve been a squad of too many nice guys. When you look at some of our most impactful players over the decades, they have all had a bit of that you can't touch me mentality. It that's part of the thinking with this transfer, then it makes more sense to me.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
So he’s almost definitely going to end up playing LW like every other forward player we sign
Nah. He’s an 8 or 10 who can operate in a dual 6 or wide forward against weak oppo.

This club used to celebrate signing great British talent. It’s a good signing. He’s better than Fred and McTominay.

I think he’s going to be brilliant.

BorisManUtd

Thought we shouldn't go higher than 55M pounds but 55+5 isn't a catastrophe I guess. At least we'll get our first signing of the summer and hopefully another few will follow over July.

Red_Aaron

He's got great fundamentals, with the right coach and system he could really fly. Eriksen with an engine

If ETH can turn him into an 8 it's also great for England allowing him to drop in with Rice and Bellingham and keep the front 3 with kane saka and rashers

Redlyn

I think this is true. But, I wouldn't mind if we sold both Fred and McTominay. Have Donny as 5th choice and let Mainoo have more chances as 6th choice. Hannibal, Amad and Sancho could all potentially provide some cover for Bruno as well.
So you would sell both Fred and McT because Donny? He is completely useless for us so far. We have no idea how he will recover even. Even 5th place is too high for him as over a season 5th place mid still plays lots of games. If those 2 leave + Sabitzer, 1 player in will not be enough.

Gopher Brown

My fav thing about Mount is that he has some swagger, justified or not. I want good humans at this club but it also feels like we ve been a squad of too many nice guys. When you look at some of our most impactful players over the decades, they have all had a bit of that you can't touch me mentality. It that's part of the thinking with this transfer, then it makes more sense to me.
I would say that Mount is the nicest guy out there. I doubt he even has to shave yet. The complete opposite of what you're saying.

Wing Attack Plan R

Welcome aboard, Mount! I am pleased with this signing. He is an upgrade, the squad is better, we can shed some other players, he was desperate to play for United, and we can see how EtH wants to play next season. I don’t care about the price. Mount doesn’t have to be Lampard 2.0 to be a success here. I think our football will be much better, coherent, and flexible.

We can play fantasy football all day and imagine signing every great player, but I think those who have pointed out that a player needs the right system around them to flourish are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.