Massimiliano Allegri targets Manchester United job

Eric7C

mate, have I got news for you... the problem at United after Ferguson was neither the players nor the coach... the tone was set by the club hierarchy and the way your club is run... if even world class players like de gea & pogba seem just a pile of sh*t, why not good or very good players like lukaku and alexis (and many more in the recent past)?

edit: and more in general, what the feck are you fans doing while descending into mediocrity? That’s one instance where ultras can be useful indeed... with public protests and the like
De Gea and Pogba have been world class in their time at United. Lukaku and Alexis were sh*t and sh*ttier. The problem right now, apart from having a poor structure, is that our manager is also a bit sh*t.

mango_goal

Click and bait article..with a new twist today:

"The Italian watched Tottenham’s humiliation against Bayern Munich this week and is waiting in the wings for the next big job in England.
But the ex-Juventus boss' preference is to return to management next summer after a one-year break from the game, rather than getting a job mid-season.Allegri, 52, who won five Serie A titles in a row before leaving Juve, would assess offers before deciding whether to stick to his plan of having a full campaign away from the dugout.
He has been taking English lessons and has made no secret of his ambitions to work in the Premier League after spending his whole career in Italy.Mauricio Pochettino has questioned his own future at Spurs and admitted last season he would consider walking away if they won the Champions League.Since falling short in the final against Liverpool, Pochettino has given mixed messages over his tenure.
The Argentina coach is not taking as many training sessions at the club’s Bulls Cross HQ and distancing himself from Moussa Sissoko’s recent contract extension has raised eyebrows.Allegri will also be a candidate at Manchester United if there is a change in the dugout at Old Trafford.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has won just two Premier League games all season and faces a battle to compete for a top-four place. "

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10054750/man-utd-allegri-boss-wait-year-juventus/

Champagne Football

It's amazing we're hoping that in 3 years ole can be as good as allegri. While snubbing the real allegri
Allegri would be a disaster here. Football would be dull. Outrageously expensive players bought from Serie A who can not adapt to the different football style and lifestyle difference, such as the likes of Douglas Costa, Belotti, Allan. Then after 2 years Allegri gets bored in Manchester and wants out and tries to get himself sacked. Sarri lasted how long at Chelsea? Ancelotti lasted how long in the Premier league? Conte lasted how long in England?

Stretfordender

Doesn’t matter who we get in Allegri, Klopp, Pep until the Glazers and Woodward go non will be successful. 18 months down the line we’d be saying the same things ‘who’s the next manager’.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Allegri would be a disaster here. Football would be dull. Outrageously expensive players bought from Serie A who can not adapt to the different football style and lifestyle difference, such as the likes of Douglas Costa, Belotti, Allan. Then after 2 years Allegri gets bored in Manchester and wants out and tries to get himself sacked. Sarri lasted how long at Chelsea? Ancelotti lasted how long in the Premier league? Conte lasted how long in England?
Conte leaves chelsea with a title.

Ole if he's not successful in 3 years would leave united with pelted eggs, and a team languishing in midtable.

AlwaysRed66

If Allegri had been appointed after SAF left, fans including myself would have been happy giving him a few years to rebuild the side. Unfortunately, we have moved on from there, having been put through six years of tumescent crap, & except for a few cups, have never challenged for the major prizes. I cannot talk for others but my patience has run short now, & whereas once I was willing to give managers time, that is no longer the case, in particular if they are going to dish up negative drivel week after week. I predict if Allegri is appointed, his honeymoon period will be short, & media, fans & ex players would be on his back within months or even less, if he serves up the crap he is renowned for. That is just the way it is, but hardly the fans fault. I watch football to be entertained not bored to death.

Halal Jalal

We've been playing dull football and overpaying for flops 7 years now, so we may as well get someone who does that while winning things (and isn't a bitter has-been like Mourinho was at the time we got him).

Recent Italian managers in PL have been fantastic - Ancelotti, Ranieri, Conte. Even Sarri in his single season managed to finish 3rd and win EL, no one could possibly expect more of him.

Champagne Football

We've been playing dull football and overpaying for flops 7 years now, so we may as well get someone who does that while winning things (and isn't a bitter has-been like Mourinho was at the time we got him).

Recent Italian managers in PL have been fantastic - Ancelotti, Ranieri, Conte. Even Sarri in his single season managed to finish 3rd and win EL, no one could possibly expect more of him.
If you take away Ranieri's 1 League title when he had Mahrez, NGolo Kante, Vardy, Schmeichel etc while Utd had Van Gaal(disaster), Jose was desperately trying to get himself sacked at Chelsea because Abramovich didn't bow to his every crazy spending demand, Liverpool were in free fall under Rodgers signing players like Benteke and Ballotelli.......... Then Ranieiris time in England is mostly disastrous.

Conte - What's good about a manager who downs tools after 1 good season so that they can force a move back to Italy with their monster severance package? We already did that with Jose. A lot of foreign managers come with that intention. Give all for 1 year, then get yourself fired after and head home with an extra 15 million severance pay a year later. Have 1 good season so that you can make it look like your plan to get yourself fired in season 2 was simply down to misfortune. Sarri did the same thing. Its a known thing amongst foreign managers that you can go to the PL, give it 1 good year, then cause a bit of trouble in season two and then head home with vast treasures. Koeman did it at Everton.

Stacks

see below.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Dull football yes. Ahole no.

And the only way we can do daily well with this 'talent' is to play dull football

Last edited:

Halal Jalal

If you take away Ranieri's 1 League title when he had Mahrez, NGolo Kante, Vardy, Schmeichel etc while Utd had Van Gaal(disaster), Jose was desperately trying to get himself sacked at Chelsea because Abramovich didn't bow to his every crazy spending demand, Liverpool were in free fall under Rodgers signing players like Benteke and Ballotelli.......... Then Ranieiris time in England is mostly disastrous.

Conte - What's good about a manager who downs tools after 1 good season so that they can force a move back to Italy with their monster severance package? We already did that with Jose. A lot of foreign managers come with that intention. Give all for 1 year, then get yourself fired after and head home with an extra 15 million severance pay a year later. Have 1 good season so that you can make it look like your plan to get yourself fired in season 2 was simply down to misfortune. Sarri did the same thing. Its a known thing amongst foreign managers that you can go to the PL, give it 1 good year, then cause a bit of trouble in season two and then head home with vast treasures. Koeman did it at Everton.
So you're against Italian managers even though they've been hugely successful in PL recently, or against foreign managers in general even though there are hardly any top level British managers anymore? Who should be the United manager in that case, Howe or Rodgers? Surely we can agree that the Ole fiasco can't go on any longer.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
If Allegri had been appointed after SAF left, fans including myself would have been happy giving him a few years to rebuild the side. Unfortunately, we have moved on from there, having been put through six years of tumescent crap, & except for a few cups, have never challenged for the major prizes. I cannot talk for others but my patience has run short now, & whereas once I was willing to give managers time, that is no longer the case, in particular if they are going to dish up negative drivel week after week. I predict if Allegri is appointed, his honeymoon period will be short, & media, fans & ex players would be on his back within months or even less, if he serves up the crap he is renowned for. That is just the way it is, but hardly the fans fault. I watch football to be entertained not bored to death.
You do realise you are describing us under Solksjaer don't you? The football's never been worse to be honest. What's changed exactly?

devilish

Doesn’t matter who we get in Allegri, Klopp, Pep until the Glazers and Woodward go non will be successful. 18 months down the line we’d be saying the same things ‘who’s the next manager’.
True. However we are better off with a manager than without it

devilish

You can't play sexy football with the likes of Rashy, McT and Jesse in the team. Allegri plays a rigid work rate based football that requires less top quality players then attacking quick tempo football. We won't win the league with this squad but allegri will do better than Cardiff

Champagne Football

So you're against Italian managers even though they've been hugely successful in PL recently, or against foreign managers in general even though there are hardly any top level British managers anymore? Who should be the United manager in that case, Howe or Rodgers? Surely we can agree that the Ole fiasco can't go on any longer.
We should hire a manager with a track record of long term planning that entails developing youth while playing exciting football. Pochettino and Marco Rose are ideal. Tuchel and Nagelsmann also excellent.

Champagne Football

You can't play sexy football with the likes of Rashy, McT and Jesse in the team. Allegri plays a rigid work rate based football that requires less top quality players then attacking quick tempo football. We won't win the league with this squad but allegri will do better than Cardiff
We're 3 players and 1 year away from being close to what Ole wants to build. I don't think we'll get top 4 and I don't think we'll get Sancho. Maybe we'll look something like in midfield and upfront in a year.
Garner/McT - McGinn - Maddison
Matondo - Mason/Wilson - Rashy/James
Not a title winning team yet but hopefully a top 3 one with a view to improving each season.

devilish

We're 3 players and 1 year away from being close to what Ole wants to build. I don't think we'll get top 4 and I don't think we'll get Sancho. Maybe we'll look something like in midfield and upfront in a year.
Not a title winning team yet but hopefully a top 3 one with a view to improving each season.
3 players away? Since ole took the job permanently we had been sinking faster then the titanic. Ole is proving to be as clueless here as he was with Cardiff. He is out of depth at this level

I am not a big fan of allegri but I understand why the club would want him. He make due with what he's got, he's closer to Mou's philosophy then ole is which means we won't need a rebuild and he's a great man manager. Also he isn't obsessed with expensive British players

Last edited:

Smores

What he wants to build is very different to what he can build. He might get the personnel but it doesn't mean the results will follow.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Allegri would be a step forward, and two steps back, I refuse to believe we’re that stupid, hoping we have learned from our mistakes, but I’m not counting on it.
For the love of all the gods, steer clear.

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
At this rate, it will be a matter of time until he signs. I would much prefer to gamble on Marcelino which is a manager I think is very underrated and just parted ways with valencia recently.

Champagne Football

3 players away? Since ole took the job permanently we had been sinking faster then the titanic. Ole is proving to be as clueless here as he was with Cardiff. He is out of depth at this level
True but he was confident of getting one of Rice or Longstaff over the summer, which never happened and has left him in big trouble, but he is making the right call. He could have spent 60 million on a stop-gap like Fred/Matic/Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger to try and protect his reputation, like Jose or Allegri would do. But taking the patient but heavily risky approach of waiting another window or 2 to get the right player is the correct long term approach, and promotes long term health of the club. That was always the Fergie way.

So even if Ole proves to be a flop, he's still making the right kinds of calls that will build an even stronger foundation for a Pochettino to build from a year from now.

stepic

top 3 with that team? no chance.

devilish

True but he was confident of getting one of Rice or Longstaff over the summer, which never happened and has left him in big trouble, but he is making the right call. He could have spent 60 million on a stop-gap like Fred/Matic/Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger to try and protect his reputation, like Jose or Allegri would do. But taking the patient but heavily risky approach of waiting another window or 2 to get the right player is the correct long term approach, and promotes long term health of the club. That was always the Fergie way.

So even if Ole proves to be a flop, he's still making the right kinds of calls that will build an even stronger foundation for a Pochettino to build from a year from now.
That's another 120m worth of talent for 2 players who are nowhere near to WC and who would probably perform at par/worse then McT. Ole's strategy is expensive and nowhere near effective. His results are shocking

Champagne Football

That's another 120m worth of talent for 2 players who are nowhere near to WC and who would probably perform at par/worse then McT. Ole's strategy is expensive and nowhere near effective. His results are shocking
Our days of being a club who can attract a Frenkie De Jong, an Mbappe or a Kai Havertz are over for the time being. We need to aim for getting to Spurs level first. A team who can comfortably finish 3rd every season. Then once we hopefully get there - then plan for a trophy attempt, possibly with a Pochettino or Nagelsmann if Ole can't prove his worth by then.

Allegri is a short-term Jose style stop-gap who'll just paper over the cracks with an ageing and expensively assembled Europa League winning squad, before he fecks off back to Italy with his 20 million severance package.

Ole's results are shocking indeed but he's the first manager we've had since Fergie who has been mostly successful with spending, so based on that he deserves at least 1 more window. John McGinn and Callum Wilson would be signings that could take us to another level if we could get them in January.

devilish

Our days of being a club who can attract a Frenkie De Jong, an Mbappe or a Kai Havertz are over for the time being. We need to aim for getting to Spurs level first. A team who can comfortably finish 3rd every season. Then once we hopefully get there - then plan for a trophy attempt, possibly with a Pochettino or Nagelsmann if Ole can't prove his worth by then.

Allegri is a short-term Jose style stop-gap who'll just paper over the cracks with an ageing and expensively assembled Europa League winning squad, before he fecks off back to Italy with his 20 million severance package.

Ole's results are shocking indeed but he's the first manager we've had since Fergie who has been mostly successful with spending, so based on that he deserves at least 1 more window. John McGinn and Callum Wilson would be signings that could take us to another level if we could get them in January.
You don't need a PhD in rocket science to come out with the philosophy that highly expensive local talent can make the grade. The trouble with that is that you'll need outrageous sums of money to win anything. As said rice and longy would have costed us 120m. Are they worth it? Will they make us top 4? We know the answer

Also may I note that many signings were good in their first season including Bailly, Jones, Smalling, ADM and Ibra.

Results are the real proof in the pudding. Ole lack on that

AlwaysRed66

He wouldn't be given time. The demand to remove him would be overwhelming from the start. When are we going to go around the Man City & Liverpool route & get a manager that one of the biggest clubs in the world should be getting, & not a bunch of managers who think sitting back & counterattacking playing boring football is what a club like ours should be doing.

devilish

He wouldn't be given time. The demand to remove him would be overwhelming from the start. When are we going to go around the Man City & Liverpool route & get a manager that one of the biggest clubs in the world should be getting, & not a bunch of managers who think sitting back & counterattacking playing boring football is what a club like ours should be doing.
I fear that too many people think he is Mou MK2. He is not. Allegri is very versatile. He will build a team with what he has/given and is not afraid to throw his formation/philosophy out of the window if that isn't working. He is also a superb man manager.

As said he is not my no 1 choice however I can understand why the club might be interested in him. We had far too many managers who stick to their philosophy and expect the club to foot the bill for it. Allegri built his team according to his team's strengths, a discipline he learnt at Milan were non existent funds and an intrusive owner made it impossible for anyone to develop a philosophy. On that regard he's the anti Mourinho per excellence

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Don't see the point of anyone getting an Allegri type manager while City and Liverpool are at this level. What's the point of going for the quick fix serial winner if it almost certainly won't get you a major trophy?

I personally think that's the reason we are actually sticking to the attempt to change our style this time because we simply don't have the option to revert to win now so we may aswell build something sustainable which will hopefully challenge in the not too distant future.

devilish

Don't see the point of anyone getting an Allegri type manager while City and Liverpool are at this level. What's the point of going for the quick fix serial winner if it almost certainly won't get you a major trophy?

I personally think that's the reason we are actually sticking to the attempt to change our style this time because we simply don't have the option to revert to win now so we may aswell build something sustainable which will hopefully challenge in the not too distant future.
Allegri is not a quick fix manager. Sure he won immediately at Juve but at Juve even Ole could win erm probably make it to top 4

Allegri existed long before he joined Juve. He was the manager at Sassuolo, Cagliari and Milan all of which ending up punching above their weight

gajender

Allegri is not a quick fix manager. Sure he won immediately at Juve but at Juve even Ole could win erm probably make it to top 4

Allegri existed long before he joined Juve. He was the manager at Sassuolo, Cagliari and Milan all of which ending up punching above their weight
I think except the style of play it's hard to ignore Allegri's credentials as manager especially when compared to someone like Pochettino's whose football despite what his fans like to believe isn't exactly a attacking coach either. Conte had great impact with Chelsea in his first season and Allegri could also do something similar with right backing with us .

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Exactly. Is Poch an attacking manager ? Not really. He is the hipster choice because of high pressing style.

Allegri would be an excellent young option for us.

Suedesi

@ILC

Thought we can continue our discussion here.

My points are simple - Juve's been winning in Serie A for 7 years. Allegri deserves respect for winning the last 4, but with some caveats. He inherited a well-oiled machine from Conte and the level of competition has been shockingly poor. Napoli and Roma don't have the pedigree, muscle and org know how of Juve. I've always maintained that Juventus will eventually lose their title grip to either Inter or Milan whenever the Milanese clubs decide that enough is enough (and looks like Inter is slowly getting there)

In Europe he did well, but not well enough. Over the years, I thought they were unlucky vs Pep's Bayern and Zidane's Real the year before, but they were soundly beaten in both CL finals by Barca and Real. Allegri couldn't build a CL winning team, which is what the mandate and strategy was all along (after buying Higauin and then later Ronaldo). Last year they were on a clear downward trajectory losing to United, Young Boys, Atletico and eventually Ajax. You couldn't say Juve's exit was unexpected, it was coming.

If you juxtapose CL performances vs Serie A, they were largely being outplayed by teams that are inferior in paper and pedigree. Just look at the Lazio match, should have been 3 or 4-0, Juve ends up winning. Look at Atalanta in the Cup. Look at Genoa. These are teams that shouldn't outplay Juve. Juventus players were just going through the motions and you could tell they weren't motivated by Allegri's tactics anymore.

Final point the meltdown with Adani - the criticism of Juve's style under Allegri is not recent. He was just playing a very boring, defensive football. Once you satisfy the need to win, fans can rightly demand some entertainment, otherwise what's the point. Allegri just couldn't take it, and he just becomes like a rude Mourinho when he's challenged on TV.

Would he be good for Man United? He could possibly steady the ship, but I don't think he would be able to build a title winning team. Just my 2 cents.