Massimiliano Allegri targets Manchester United job

Zlatattack

We've been down this road before. Ole is probably not the right man for the job, but neither is a negative, defensive, Allegeri.

Our replacement (when we get one) needs to be:

• An attacking coach
  • Who extensively coaches teams
  • Employs modern methods
  • Has experience at CL level (or is extraordinarily talented)
  • Premier league experience preferred

In Rainbows

We've been down this road before. Ole is probably not the right man for the job, but neither is a negative, defensive, Allegeri.

• An attacking coach
  • Employs modern methods
I don't care for PL experience. Just look at Pep and Klopp. PL experience meant nothing to them and they kept their style.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I found Juventus incredibly boring whenever I watched his team but the guy won like a million scudetto in a row. I know its a one team league but its still Serie A.

Kostov

This gives me vibe that it is happening too fecking often imo. When we replace Ole I think we should replace him with a manager who has Guardiola or Klopp kind of talent, otherwise it is pointless, we are never going to be competitive with this structure and a worse manager than those 2. Allegri is not better than those 2.

Judas

Open to offers

• An attacking coach
  • Employs modern methods
Heavily disagree with this. Don't see why that matters, and would limit our options massively to a point where we actually wouldn't be able to get many good managers?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Like pining after the manager of Celtic.
Yes, the man who has won six Serie A titles, with two different clubs and reached two champions league finals.

You’re right, he’s basically Neil Lennon.

stevoc

Ole hasn't got a scooby doo how to methodically coach an attacking team at the top level. He's full of hot air. Saying it in interviews is one thing but it's a different story altogether putting it in practice and, come match-day, he reverts back to the same conservative negative counter-attack tactics you so despise.

What evidence have we seen on the pitch in the 9+ months he's been here that we are going to be a progressive attacking side anytime soon? All i see are the existing players going backwards, non-existent coaching & woeful in-game management time and again. I've never seen a worse Man Utd team in my life as his side. That says it all. I thought we'd hit rock bottom these past 6 years but obviously not.

To imagine another year of him is a horrifying thought indeed.

To put your faith in a miracle, which Ole definitely is now, instead of just accepting we're going nowhere and moving on before the whole season is written off yet again is... i just can't understand it.
You seem to have misunderstood my post mate, thats ok though its going around in this thread.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This gives me vibe that it is happening too fecking often imo. When we replace Ole I think we should replace him with a manager who has Guardiola or Klopp kind of talent, otherwise it is pointless, we are never going to be competitive with this structure and a worse manager than those 2. Allegri is not better than those 2.
Feel free to list the names of these talents...

stevoc

Ole always seems to say what the fans want to hear. I think quality may stop a manager from playing their preferred style to an extent, but Ole has gone away from attacking football with the same set of players that he set up to attack when he initially took over.
I don't know mate from what i see he is still trying to play entertaining football but its just not working out.

I can't remember too many times if any he's set us up to park the bus for example. He's signing the right sort of defenders to try to play football at least.

I think sometimes people confuse scoring/winning with attacking/entertaining. You can be trying to implement the latter while not actually managing much of the former like we are right now.

Eric7C

And who's that?

Kemizee

He's a better manager than Ole obviously but any motherfecker should win the league with Juve, it's like PSG and Bayern, it's a tap in to get some titles on your CV. This is exactly why I'm not on the Ole out thing, yes it's shite right now and I do think he's probably out of his depth, but if we sack him we'll go for a boring pragmatist with a resume', no thanks, I'm only interested in replacing Ole if we are also repalcing Woodward, getting in a DOF and going for a forward thinking manager like Nagelsmann or ten Hag.
My thoughts as well.

Rafaeldagold

Eh this was the logic with Jose, look how that went. I won't settle for shit football that "gets results", I want us to be entertaining again, and not horrible.
Well right now we have shit football & no Results.

Anything is better than Ole at this point

In Rainbows

No, United didn't score a shitload of goals with Mou. :confused:
10th most goals scored this season
5th most goals with 65 in 2018/19 (6th most under Mou, 4th-6th most under Ole)

5th most goals with 68 in 2017/18
8th most goals with 54 in 2016/17

10th most goals with 49 in 2015/16
4th most goals with 62 in 2014/15

5th most goals with 64 in 2013/14

We've been terrible in attack for a long time. No idea why anyone would want a pragmatic manager at this point.

Last edited:

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
We've been terrible in attack for a long time. No idea why anyone would want a pragmatic manager at this point.
For me, it’s a case of looking at the squad and realising we perhaps have some good players in defence, but are completely bereft of good attackers. In that context, a manager who can make the most out of our strengths (defenders) might be a more sensible short term option.

With our team, we aren’t going to be outscoring the opposition 4-2 or something. There’s not enough goals in the team. We basically HAVE to keep clean sheets if we want to win.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yes, the man who has won six Serie A titles, with two different clubs and reached two champions league finals.

You’re right, he’s basically Neil Lennon.
He's obviously not, and while the CL finals are definitely an accomplishment, let's not overrate his titles with Juventus either. And let's not forget he was a laughing stock in Italy for his time at Milan, and almost all Juve fans were against his appointment at the time. He's a good coach but I doubt he'd be the man to magically transform this United squad. More Emery than Klopp/Pep imo.

In Rainbows

For me, it’s a case of looking at the squad and realising we perhaps have some good players in defence, but are completely bereft of good attackers. In that context, a manager who can make the most out of our strengths (defenders) might be a more sensible short term option.

With our team, we aren’t going to be outscoring the opposition 4-2 or something. There’s not enough goals in the team. We basically HAVE to keep clean sheets if we want to win.
I look at it as long term building. Get our attackers some confidence. We just bought defenders so it's not like we'll be doing a Liverpool where they scored a ton, but leaked goals for fun due to having Moreno, Lovren, Mignolet, etc... We need to fix what has been a problem area for all of our managers. Yes that means buying attackers, but that also means getting an attacking coach who can make playing football fun for our players again.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I hope not. Personally I don’t think many (if any!) would argue that Allegri isn’t a better, & more accomplished manager than Ole. I’d rather keep Ole until the right person became available (if we are replacing OGS) because going from Ole to Allegri would be as stupid as going from LvG to Mourinho IMO.

It’s clear for us all to see that we really do not have any sort of long term vision. But at the very least, I’m hoping these fools in the boardroom would have learnt by now.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The manager that has the potential to rival Guardiola or Klopp is Nagelsmann and possibly Marco Rose. Both managers have the tactical acumen that could see them reach the top with the younger Nagelsmann in particular being talked about in glowing terms. Tuchel is another coach that could tactically bang with the best but his divisive nature could be a issue.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I hope not. Personally I don’t think many would argue that Allegri is a better, & more accomplished manager than Ole. I’d rather keep Ole until the right person became available (if we are replacing OGS) because going from Ole to Allegri would be as stupid as going from LvG to Mourinho IMO.

It’s clear for us all to see that we really do not have any sort of long term vision. But at the very least, I’m hoping these fools in the boardroom would have learnt by now.
You don't think many would say a guy who has won a big league titles is better than our guy?!
That's ridiculous. Ole got in because he was a loved player here. He has zero management pedigree

Water Melon

I won't be surprised to see Allegri at Spurs, while Poch takes reigns at United.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Allegri would have been a better replacement for Mourinho, the squad was set up for pragmatic football. Now we need someone who can build a side that is young, dedicated and exciting.

Zlatattack

I don't care for PL experience. Just look at Pep and Klopp. PL experience meant nothing to them and they kept their style.
Heavily disagree with this. Don't see why that matters, and would limit our options massively to a point where we actually wouldn't be able to get many good managers?
Listen gents, I agree with you both. My point is if we had two candidates with a very similar CV, I'd be inclined towards the one with Premier league experience (assuming it was relevant experience).

It doesn't really matter though.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
You don't think many would say a guy who has won a big league titles is better than our guy?!
That's ridiculous. Ole got in because he was a loved player here. He has zero management pedigree
I just re-read what I typed and I think I fecked up my sentence structure :lol:

That’s exactly what I meant. “I don’t think many would argue that Allegri isn’t....”

Shot for pointing that out, so that I can go fix it before I get 100’s of alerts :nervous:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I just re-read what I typed and I think I fecked up my sentence structure :lol:

That’s exactly what I meant. “I don’t think many would argue that Allegri isn’t....”

Shot for pointing that out, so that I can go fix it before I get 100’s of alerts :nervous:
Haha thank goodness for that!
I didn't like speaking down on Ole in fairness. But it's now super obvious we bungled another one!

Halal Jalal

If he's interested, what are we waiting for? There's no better manager available and it's still early enough in the season to fix this team and reach Top 4.

It's childish and naive to believe that some young manager with zero achievements in his career would teach us how to play entertaining, attacking football. Who is supposed to score all those goals exactly, Rashy? JLingz? May as well get someone tactically astute to squeeze the most out of the available mediocrity. Ole keeps blabbering about the "United way" but what we actually see on the pitch is unwatchable trash, Allegri's playstyle would be a massive improvement.

Bestietom

Keep Ole and back him in 2 more transfer windows. We are rebuilding so let him do it, But he MUST be backed. Let's see if Woodward gets behind him without any promises and lies.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Just convince VDS to become DOF and bring Ten Haag with him. Let Ole get rid of deadwood and start recruiting players that suit Ten Haag's system. Why do things have to be so fecking complicated at this club! I know it's not that simple but fecking hell!

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I actually like Allegri and I think he's a better manager than people give him credit for, despite the pragmatical football. Not only he won titles with Juve, he actually made them progress far at UEFA competitons and with a bit of luck he could had nicked one at least.

And his titles at AC Milan were a very good achievement in a club where investment became thinner after 2009/10, but bringing Ibra into the squad was a genius move, but the squad was not a title winning squad at all.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Just convince VDS to become DOF and bring Ten Haag with him. Let Ole get rid of deadwood and start recruiting players that suit Ten Haag's system. Why do things have to be so fecking complicated at this club! I know it's not that simple but fecking hell!
No way they would do that to Ajax.

romufc

Why would we want to go back to that kind of football when the rest of the teams are moving forward.

Allegri is a step in the wrong direction. I would rather stick with Ole until the right manager came about, there is no point changing manager for the sake of it.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Why would we want to go back to that kind of football when the rest of the teams are moving forward.

Allegri is a step in the wrong direction. I would rather stick with Ole until the right manager came about, there is no point changing manager for the sake of it.
Yeah because United have really moved on to exciting attacking football under Ole. We've scored more than one goal in a match only once in our last 15+ games. We're as boring as we were under LvG and Mourinho right now.

Halal Jalal

I actually like Allegri and I think he's a better manager than people give him credit for, despite the pragmatical football. Not only he won titles with Juve, he actually made them progress far at UEFA competitons and with a bit of luck he could had nicked one at least.

And his titles at AC Milan were a very good achievement in a club where investment became thinner after 2009/10, but bringing Ibra into the squad was a genius move, but the squad was not a title winning squad at all.
He's Tier 2, in my opinion.

Tier 1: Klopp, Guardiola, Zidane
Tier 2: Simeone, Conte, Allegri, Sarri, Poch
Tier 3: Ancelotti, Tuchel, Kovac, Emery, Mourinho
Tier 4: Naglesmann, Ten Haag, Spaletti, Jardim etc.

We won't get anyone better than Allegri, that's certain. Our current "manager" is Tier 9, considering that his only relevant managerial experience is Cardiff relegation and getting sacked in Championship.