Massimiliano Allegri targets Manchester United job

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Beggars can't be choosers
This probably sums it up actually :lol:

His Juventus side bored me to tears, a great tactician of the game but after 4.5 years of van Gaal and Mourinho I've had my fill of pragmatism. Not saying Ole is doing anything different mind, but we need to appoint a more progressive manager next time round.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Who knows but at least in that scenario there would be hope. With Allegri there would be none.
Ole hasn't got a scooby doo how to methodically coach an attacking team at the top level. He's full of hot air. Saying it in interviews is one thing but it's a different story altogether putting it in practice and, come match-day, he reverts back to the same conservative negative counter-attack tactics you so despise.

What evidence have we seen on the pitch in the 9+ months he's been here that we are going to be a progressive attacking side anytime soon? All i see are the existing players going backwards, non-existent coaching & woeful in-game management time and again. I've never seen a worse Man Utd team in my life as his side. That says it all. I thought we'd hit rock bottom these past 6 years but obviously not.

To imagine another year of him is a horrifying thought indeed.

To put your faith in a miracle, which Ole definitely is now, instead of just accepting we're going nowhere and moving on before the whole season is written off yet again is... i just can't understand it.

reddevil702

I imagine he says it because he means it, that doesn't necessarily mean he has the talent or the players to implement it though.
Ole always seems to say what the fans want to hear. I think quality may stop a manager from playing their preferred style to an extent, but Ole has gone away from attacking football with the same set of players that he set up to attack when he initially took over.

In Rainbows

I'm tired of dull football. I want an attacking manager for once. That's the main reason why I'm not fond of Ole right now. When Allegri pulls a 2014 Milan with United, I won't be surprised.

Nagelsmann
Rose
Ten Hag
Farke

Devil may care

He's a better manager than Ole obviously but any motherfecker should win the league with Juve, it's like PSG and Bayern, it's a tap in to get some titles on your CV. This is exactly why I'm not on the Ole out thing, yes it's shite right now and I do think he's probably out of his depth, but if we sack him we'll go for a boring pragmatist with a resume', no thanks, I'm only interested in replacing Ole if we are also repalcing Woodward, getting in a DOF and going for a forward thinking manager like Nagelsmann or ten Hag.

redshaw

What puts me off is really how the fans need attacking football to respond to. You only have to put yourself back in those days to feel the cloud and head scratching misery surrounding the club. It's just too soul sapping for a big crowd of 70 thousand while other teams attack.

Would certainly be an upgrade on Ole. We thought Jose could adapt or be something like one of his higher scoring Chelsea sides which were not great but decent enough, I don't think the fans mind a middle ground if we can get back up there but Jose and LVG were the pits and don't want to go through that.

I'd rather we seek out someone else during the season if we're midtable.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's a better manager than Ole obviously but any motherfecker should win the league with Juve, it's like PSG and Bayern, it's a tap in to get some titles on your CV. This is exactly why I'm not on the Ole out thing, yes it's shite right now and I do think he's probably out of his depth, but if we sack him we'll go for a boring pragmatist with a resume', no thanks, I'm only interested in replacing Ole if we are also repalcing Woodward, getting in a DOF and going for a forward thinking manager like Nagelsmann or ten Hag.
Hear, hear.

Diabhal

Nope, might as well of kept Mourinho.

I'd rather finish the season 10th place with Ole. At least some of the games are fun to watch.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Allegri is very good at managing, optimising or maximising the output of mature teams with big egos in the dressroom, but he is not a coach. He in fact relies much more on individual qualities , while United mostly need discipline and collective organisation atm. Conte was the foundational coach you need, he is a proven rebuilder at any level domestically and abroad, even his relatively poor NT showed that charcteristic spark at Euro 2016.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Also, he's the kind of manager that could cause tactical trouble to Klopp and Pep: those two bastards have it too easy with the likes of Ole, Lampard, Emery and a past-it Poch.

Alemar

Will Allegri continue to play Young, Matic and Lingard or they will be dumped if he comes?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It would hardly be the youthful attacking football people are expecting. So would represent a change in the alleged vision of the club. Underlining yet again that we need football people in charge of footballing matters.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
God no. I can't deal with dull football where we just about hold out for a win, and we don't have good enough players to do it, nor would I want us to spend money on it only to realise it's a shit method again.

SteveW

Will Allegri continue to play Young, Matic and Lingard or they will be dumped if he comes?
They will be dumped once Ole gets to sign replacements.

It's pretty obvious he doesn't rate any of them. He signed AWB to get Young out of the side. He barely plays Matic and he tried to sign 2 players in Lingards position this summer.

I'm sick of people blaming Ole for picking the only players he has at his disposal.

Suedesi

You guys have lost your marbles if you crave Allegri.

Allegri bored Italians - famed for cattenaccio, pragmatism, defensivism - to death, and somehow you think he's a good fit for Man Utd? Jesus H. Christ.

Allegri in heated tactical discussion
Inter-Juve 1-1, furious Allegri leaves interview after San Siro draw
Massimiliano Allegri Walks Out of Interview After Heated Row with Reporter
Adani: Allegri rude & arrogant!

Allegri then went to speak on Sky Sport Italia and got into a row with pundit Lele Adani, who has been scathing on the negative approach of many Italian Coaches in Europe, including the Juventus boss.

“Against Ajax, we suffered with their counter-attacks, not their style of football, and that made it look as if they had an extraordinary game, whereas they were better in Amsterdam. The same goes for tonight, it’s natural that when you misplace a lot of passes, you run risks.

“Sometimes you need to improvise and the idea you had in July has to change completely. There is a difference between playing well and winning, but it’s not as small as it seems.

“In Italy, everyone has become a theorist of football and that is a real problem, like you reading your books. Now you shut up and I’ll talk, you don’t know anything about football.

“You just sit there behind the desk, you read your books, but you don’t know anything about the practicality of the sport. I’ve won six Scudetti.”

Last edited:

saivet

He's a better version Emery in my opinion. Think he'd be a very safe option and the fans would get fed up of his football pretty quickly. As he is not Klopp or Pep level we wouldn't even win much if anything with him.

Suedesi

By the way, at Milan he played with 3 DM's - Gattuso, Ambrosini and Flamini.

Can't wait for McT, Matic and Fred. It will be wild. I might cancel my Zolpidem prescription.

RedCurry

And our time in the oblivion will continue.

If we are to get an Italian defensive tactician then why not Conte?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
You guys have lost your marbles if you crave Allegri.

Allegri bored Italians - famed for cattenaccio, pragmatism, defensivism - to death, and somehow you think he's a good fit for Man Utd? Jesus H. Christ.

Allegri in heated tactical discussion
Inter-Juve 1-1, furious Allegri leaves interview after San Siro draw
Massimiliano Allegri Walks Out of Interview After Heated Row with Reporter
Adani: Allegri rude & arrogant!

Allegri then went to speak on Sky Sport Italia and got into a row with pundit Lele Adani, who has been scathing on the negative approach of many Italian Coaches in Europe, including the Juventus boss.

“Against Ajax, we suffered with their counter-attacks, not their style of football, and that made it look as if they had an extraordinary game, whereas they were better in Amsterdam. The same goes for tonight, it’s natural that when you misplace a lot of passes, you run risks.

“Sometimes you need to improvise and the idea you had in July has to change completely. There is a difference between playing well and winning, but it’s not as small as it seems.

“In Italy, everyone has become a theorist of football and that is a real problem, like you reading your books. Now you shut up and I’ll talk, you don’t know anything about football.

“You just sit there behind the desk, you read your books, but you don’t know anything about the practicality of the sport. I’ve won six Scudetti.”
I don't see anything wrong with his comments you posted, everyone hates pundits who think they know it all, criticising the real experts. Good to see he's got some fight in him.

Have you seen us 'attempt' to play football? Ole's team is an offence on the human eye we're that bad. The worst Utd team I've seen in my entire life and that's saying something considering what we've witnessed these past 6 years.

Allegri would bring real expertise and pedigree to the place. He would be a breath of fresh air. I for one would welcome him with open arms here.

Last edited:

JonDahl

His football is boring as feck.

We'll all (rightfully) turn on him when he turns out the same dross we've been watching post-Ferguson.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Maybe he'll do well here. But I'd rather us go for a progressive, more innovative, attack minded manager. From what I hear, Allegri is conservative. Much rather see us go for one of the younger (or older, doesn't matter) coaches who are proper coaches who have an exciting and identifiable style of play. We sort of need a 'teacher' as opposed to a motivator. LVG was the right kind of manager, our of the ones we hired. It's just that he was well past it. Allegri seems like a Mourinho type choice which I disagree with.

Unless I'm wrong about the kind of manager he is.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Maybe he'll do well here. But I'd rather us go for a progressive, more innovative, attack minded manager. From what I hear, Allegri is conservative. Much rather see us go for one of the younger (or older, doesn't matter) coaches who are proper coaches who have an exciting and identifiable style of play. We sort of need a 'teacher' as opposed to a motivator. LVG was the right kind of manager, our of the ones we hired. It's just that he was well past it. Allegri seems like a Mourinho type choice which I disagree with.

Unless I'm wrong about the kind of manager he is.
beggars can't be chooser. I think we should be realistic.

our top priority is to stop the slide into midtable. A defensive coach that works migh stabilize the slide and get us top 4 for a few years (hopefully), and we'll slowly go on from there once we have a better and more stable squad and structure.

Let's not scoff at stability, even if that requires some boring football. bad football can get better in time with better squad and a well drilled team, but if we persist with our ideology we might be set in midtables and it'll only goes harder from there

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Imagine turning down Allegri for ........ Ole.
Madness.

Hawks2008

I mean, he is better than Ole but even if Ole is sacked I'm not sure allegri is the answer.

ash_86

Hard pass. I'd rather we end up with Howe than defensive ones like Allagri

francobaresi

Not the type of manager I'd want going forward, but he could salvage the season and get us into the top 4.

Re-asses at the end of the season then.

Though our board aren't this proactive.

There is no person on this planet who could get this team in the top 4 this season

amolbhatia50k

beggars can't be chooser. I think we should be realistic.

our top priority is to stop the slide into midtable. A defensive coach that works migh stabilize the slide and get us top 4 for a few years (hopefully), and we'll slowly go on from there once we have a better and more stable squad and structure.

Let's not scoff at stability, even if that requires some boring football. bad football can get better in time with better squad and a well drilled team, but if we persist with our ideology we might be set in midtables and it'll only goes harder from there
We aren't beggars. There are always good coaches around of all kinds who want to manage top clubs like Manchester United. The problem is that the club's knowledge of the managerial prospects is as limited as us fans on a forum. Zidane, Allegri, Pochettino, LVG etc. Always the usual suspects. We would never go for a manager like Brendan or someone less fancied. Ole just wound up on our lap and we couldn't do anything but sign him up. But I'm sure there are tactical innovators coming through who we will of course ignore becuase we are constantly chasing immediate success and 'winners'.

Again your focusing on top 4. Let's for once focus on excellence before resulrs. And hiring an experienced coach doesn't guarantee stability. Having a solid plan and executing it does.

I don't really have that much of an issue with Allegri because I don't know that much about him. But from what I hear he isn't the sort of manager we need. Also, is he a bit of a Zidane? Someone who isn't as tested as his trophies suggest? To me it seems Conte did the proper heavy lifting at Juve.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We aren't beggars. There are always good coaches around of all kinds who want to manage top clubs like Manchester United. The problem is that the club's knowledge of the managerial prospects is as limited as us fans on a forum. Zidane, Allegri, Pochettino, LVG etc. Always the usual suspects. We would never go for a manager like Brendan or someone less fancied. Ole just wound up on our lap and we couldn't do anything but sign him up. But I'm sure there are tactical innovators coming through who we will of course ignore becuase we are constantly chasing immediate success and 'winners'.

Again your focusing on top 4. Let's for once focus on excellence before resulrs. And hiring an experienced coach doesn't guarantee stability. Having a solid plan and executing it does.

I don't really have that much of an issue with Allegri because I don't know that much about him. But from what I hear he isn't the sort of manager we need. Also, is he a bit of a Zidane? Someone who isn't as tested as his trophies suggest? To me it seems Conte did the proper heavy lifting at Juve.
I don't think good managers are like finding diamonds in the coal. Good manager will show something, their method and their performance aren't hidden. SAF wasn't a hidden gem or an unknown gamble, he shows what he's capable of at Aberdeen. Zidane/Pep was the anomaly, but even Pep isn't a complete unknown, barcelona knows first hand his influence and his ideas and they bought that. Brendan was also not unknown, we can trace back to his history and we know pretty much how he'll set up, how his approach, and much more.

And I'm not focusing on top 4 as the be all and all. But how can we rebuilt, attract good players, keep our star players when we're 10th? United fans bought the romantism, star players won't. They won't come to us and be a martyr spending their prime years just to get us back on track.

Rajma

Hell no, that would be another clueless appointment into an already long collection.

amolbhatia50k

I don't think good managers are like finding diamonds in the coal. Good manager will show something, their method and their performance aren't hidden. SAF wasn't a hidden gem or an unknown gamble, he shows what he's capable of at Aberdeen. Zidane/Pep was the anomaly, but even Pep isn't a complete unknown, barcelona knows first hand his influence and his ideas and they bought that. Brendan was also not unknown, we can trace back to his history and we know pretty much how he'll set up, how his approach, and much more.

And I'm not focusing on top 4 as the be all and all. But how can we rebuilt, attract good players, keep our star players when we're 10th? United fans bought the romantism, star players won't. They won't come to us and be a martyr spending their prime years just to get us back on track.
Did you think extremely highly of Pochettino before Spurs? What about Klopp before Dortmund or Simeone before Atletico? Brendan isn't an unknown but an unfancied which most here would never pick. And that's why you absolutely do find good managers cropping up all the time. Not because they were nothing before (or sometimes this is the case( but becuase most weren't paying attention to them before.

You're citing Pep as not an unknown but again most wouldn't have picked him to be successful let alone as successful as he was. The point is that in hindsight you can point to these managers being known but clearly they were fancied or established or big names. Like them others will come along and we have to be ready snap them up. Or they'll end up at other top clubs or maybe even replace Pep and Klopp eventually while we are left repenting once again.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Our board will be proven clueless if we hire Allegri. He doesn't tick our philosophy and I believe the fans won't be too pleased to see his football. Be patient, take the time to evaluate & hire the right one that suit our philosophy. If Ed got no clue then just hire a director of football.

ants7

I have absolutely no reason to expect this appointment to turn out any different than the previous three (and how Ole is doing at the moment).

dove

Would be yet another wrong appointment so it’s probably gonna happen.

In Rainbows

You say that, but yet United clearly aren't trying out coaches like that. Closest is Ole, and yet its only him because he is a legend for United.

We've looked dull under all of our managers. For the life of me I can't understand why we would want to try another manager that doesn't specialize in attack. Our movement is crap, we pass slow, we don't press with great coordination to create easier attacking chances, etc... All these negatives should lead us to someone who moves the needle more than a pragmatist. We've tried conservative managers. It hasn't worked.

I heard good things about Marco Rose, so I'm paying attention to what he does this season and see if he can really impact the Bundesliga in a way that is suitable for what we want. Then there is Nagelsmann who is slightly more experienced.

Stepney73

Better than Ole but not convinced. His football is dire and winning the league a million times with Juventus is nothing special

We all should know by now that for our boardroom sexy football is not a requirement for the Utd job.

I bet at least 3 of the 6 glazers have never even watched a football (soccer)match let alone a United game.

Top 4 to keep lining their pockets is enough for them.