Massimiliano Allegri targets Manchester United job

redshaw

Would've preferred Conte if we're going to go with an Italian manager.

Last edited:

AlwaysRed66

He would soon have the fans against him. Fans would put up with boring dreary football for awhile, particularly if winning, but then soon turn against him if he wasn't winning trophies, whereas an expansive attacking manager is given more time if seen to be moving forward. Personally, I have had enough of this dreary tripe, as we are not winning anything anyway, & speaking to fellow Man Utd fans are not alone.

Inter Yer Nan

Managers are only as good as their players. United don't have good enough quality players, let's be real.

Defense is good. Central midfield is thin and good because of Pogba and from a somewhat emerging McTominay. Attacking lines are unbalanced and inconsistent and thin as well.

This would be the worst quality of players Allegri would be managing in the past 5+ years of his managing career. Same would probably be the same for any seasoned manager, including Pochettino.
Realistically, if Allegri is given the type of transfer output Jose got in 2016, we can sign a midfielder and a couple of attackers, then we could be coached into being a good team with a hungry winner in charge.

Pagh Wraith

The reactions in this thread are ridiculous. One of the best managers in the world. He should be top priority for any big club.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I want us to aim for someone younger, hungrier with a much more attractive style of play.
I'm struggling to think of anyone for this job.

We need Sir Alex to come out of retirement to save us, that is literally the only person who I think could.

Other than that give Ole time Fergie got plenty of time to get shit together and look where that got us.

You can't expect Ole to work miracles with this squad, it just isn't going to happen. The 3 signings he has made have been pretty solid, I look forward to what we can do in January.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Which manager is going to give us this thrilling and heroic, yet ultimately losing, football you crave?
Our two greatest managers in our history Sir Matt and Sir Alex played attacking football.

I don't crave exciting losing football. I firmly believe a more attack minded front foot approach will trump a pragmatic one at a club with United's aspirations. Someone like Nagelsmann fits our traditions and ethos better than someone dull like Allegri.

stevoc

No thanks i've seen enough boring pragmatic football to last a lifetime the last few years. The football isn't great right now but at least with Ole and other managers the goal is to try to play entertaining, attacking football at some point. Allegri wouldn't even try.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
No thanks i've seen enough boring pragmatic football to last a lifetime the last few years. The football isn't great right now but at least with Ole and other managers the goal is to try to play entertaining, attacking football at some point. Allegri wouldn't even try.
What? We have the worst GD ratio of PL history.

reddevil702

Would prefer Poch but I would be happy with Allegri. Good manager and doesn't come with the extra baggage that Jose brought.

edcunited1878

Realistically, if Allegri is given the type of transfer output Jose got in 2016, we can sign a midfielder and a couple of attackers, then we could be coached into being a good team with a hungry winner in charge.
But I don't trust Woodward and the structure of recruitment to make obvious, clear cut improvements like Maguire, AWB or James. If we're thinking 2016, I assume you mean Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Bailly?

Two forwards and at least one central mid, preferably two central mids and a change of tactical setting (i.e. 3 central mids) + Allegri's coaching would be great. But I still think Ole should be given his time and Allegri, if this is serious, should wait it out.

stevoc

What? We have the worst GD ratio of PL history.
You seem to have missed two other important parts of that sentence mate.

reddevil702

While Ole says this, it hasn't been the case since he got the job permanently.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Holy shit, you could have fooled me.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
His football was worse than Van Gaals at times as far as entertainment goes. In fact I'd go as far as saying it was more defensive than Jose in a few games i watched.

If we're making a change to our manager, i think there's other coaches I'd rather take a chance with that are more likely to improve our play.

stevoc

While Ole says this, it hasn't been the case since he got the job permanently.
I imagine he says it because he means it, that doesn't necessarily mean he has the talent or the players to implement it though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Meh. Theres managers more suited to United IMO. This would be the Mourinho route though less proven but also less of a cnut

Sir Scott McToMinay

Ask yourself this, are you prepared to sit through worse football than Jose’s for the the occasional top 4 finish?
Because that’s the most we can hope for in the next couple of years, regardless of who the manager is.
If you do, Allegri could be your man, I personally don’t want to sleep through matches week in week out, if you do, that’s your right and choice.

Literally the only manager in the world that could properly manage Pogba at Man Utd. Bring back some of that 2014-15 magic.
Literally not.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I take back what I said earlier. But he’s got the reputation that at least warrants some consideration.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Ask yourself this, are you prepared to sit through worse football than Jose’s for the the occasional top 4 finish?
Because that’s the most we can hope for in the next couple of years, regardless of who the manager is.
If you do, Allegri could be your man, I personally don’t want to sleep through matches week in week out, if you do, that’s your right and choice.
Because current 2019's "struggling to score a goal and pray we don't concede" brings joy and happiness, right?

You guys need to witness Utd being massacred by City or Pool to finally wake up: Ole's era ended in spring 2019.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A manager learning English? Not like that isn't going to help him wherever he ends up. Not convinced this is anything to do with us.

Could be a subtle little come and get me hint though especially if it's planted by Di Marzio.

stevoc

Ole doesn't have the vision or guts to ask for the right players. At least Mou complained about it.
Yeah but Jose complained about everything, plus lets be honest he definitely didn't ask for the right players. He mostly wanted declining players the wrong side of 30 on huge deals like Matic, Sanchez, Perisic, Boateng, Willian, Alderweireld etc.