Match Compilations

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Most of the games i watch him is are from the mid to late 90s which has him in late 20s, stepping to the 30s so pretty much best years for a centerback.
Yeah, I mean more generally in terms of the wider perception. Basically Real win their 3 CLs with him in his 30s as a slow CB and he's still playing for them at 35. And it's around the time of him turning 30 that the Spanish league starts to get more coverage in the UK.

I agree with your categorisation of him though in that group - seems about fair.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
To all van Hanegem aficionados @Joga Bonito @Pat_Mustard (if I'm not mistaken) etc.

The man could do everything... except for running. Maguire would've probably beaten him in a 100m race.

:lol: Great stuff. It's his tough, bordering on brutal, approach to ball-winning that invariably catches my eye, as his talent on the ball is well-documentated.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Will be doing a bit longer series on Roberto Carlos, after catching few of his performances(like this one) while watching someone else i get a feeling he is overrated as feck so why not go a bit deeper and check. Will be picking random big games usually so this isnt a fair start from that point of view as i knew in advance he struggled. Figo was doing whatever he wanted but his final ball was a bit poor. Dont think anyone sees him as a great defender so maybe this isnt a surprise but his offensive game was almost non existent. Only few times he went up there, think he had one decent cross for Mijatovic and one overlap to create space for a teammate.
Please make as many videos of sub-par Carlos performances as humanly possible before Tuesday. Much love, Mustard xx

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
:lol: Great stuff. It's his tough, bordering on brutal, approach to ball-winning that invariably catches my eye, as his talent on the ball is well-documentated.
I especially loved the three tackles in a row moment. No, you’re not getting that ball! :lol:

harms

Staff
Bobby Charlton, just 20 years old, suddenly found himself as a key player for Manchester United — after playing a role of a squad player for the original Busby Babes. I included a bit of additional footage before the all-touch compilation from the 1958 FA Cup final... it’s such an incredible story. They even say it on the news that United’s hopes of a successful cup campaign (or any future successes for that matter) are shattered.

Then Charlton steps up. A match-winning assist in the added time against West Brom; 2 goals in the first semi-final; an assist and a goal in replay... and, finally, a quite impressive performance at Wembley (while the rest of United teams, aside from Taylor, were simply awful). All just a few months after the crash. What an incredible mentality.

Reactions: Invictus

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Bobby Charlton, just 20 years old, suddenly found himself as a key player for Manchester United — after playing a role of a squad player for the original Busby Babes. I included a bit of additional footage before the all-touch compilation from the 1958 FA Cup final... it’s such an incredible story. They even say it on the news that United’s hopes of a successful cup campaign (or any future successes for that matter) are shattered.

Then Charlton steps up. A match-winning assist in the added time against West Brom; 2 goals in the first semi-final; an assist and a goal in replay... and, finally, a quite impressive performance at Wembley (while the rest of United teams, aside from Taylor, were simply awful). All just a few months after the crash. What an incredible mentality.

Brilliant!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

He's just ridiculous. Plays in midfield against Robson & Platt but manages to outshine them both, or anyone else on the pitch for that matter.

Ireland employed their classic route one football tactics, simple yet deadly effective with Niall Quinn being an absolute thorn in the English defense. Poor Wright and Adams were just lost, and it was rather comical to see England struggling against the intensity and physicality of the Irish.

Don't get me wrong, Ireland were a well drilled and a resolute side who knew their strengths and weaknesses and played accordingly, but take McGrath away and it just wouldn't be the same.

Can't think of another relatively unfancied side which was elevated by a defensive genius like McGrath. Not to the same degree, but Figueroa and Chile perhaps? Just a beast of a player.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Please make as many videos of sub-par Carlos performances as humanly possible before Tuesday. Much love, Mustard xx
your wish is my command xx

Id say it was a typical 90s performance, hit and miss. Some good stuff, some bad but at least he was bombing down the wing pretty much all game unlike against Madrid. Two things standout with him, has a great leap and a great throw in, sounds odd and random but its a great thing to have in your locker, often finds players in unexpected positions and he throws them pretty hard/fast so they are very hard to defend.

Šjor Bepo

brilliant work harms, as usual

Šjor Bepo

Thought it was third time's the charm as he was having a good game but Carlos gonna be Carlos so he managed to score a own goal that would made Titus Bramble proud.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Lothar who? What a player, been quite an eye opening experience watching him play for Fiorentina in the late eighties, mainly whilst watching Baggio :wenger:. I've rated him as a player but his 90s version did seem a tad bit boring and predictable. Not the 80s one though.

Anyways his insane pressing ability, defensive positioning and astute use of the ball (very adventurous and forward oriented, yet efficient) really stand out. Really tried to emphasize on his closing down and pressing - cutting down the angles for the opposition player, frequently leading to turn overs. Keep in mind that this Inter side would go on to win the Serie A by a whopping 11 points that season, and it boasted the likes of Mätthaus, Matteoli and Berti in midfield, an uber dynamic and an imposing engine room.

If that doesn't convince you, just watch it for Dunga's OTT hilarious reactions, that alone should make it worth your while :lol:
Impressive all-round - ball-winning, ball-progression, touch. Strong on one of the main attributes that separate the great ball-winners which is their ability to punch those sharp passes through the midfield lines, rather than just keep it safe. Even commanded enough respect from his team-mates to take all the free-kicks, despite the presence of Baggio in the team.

harms

Staff
Platini makes an beautiful assist to Blokhin, scores a great volley, gets a taste of Gentile's treatment with the latter parodying himself & even switches places with Pfaff before referee puts a stop to it :lol:

World XI is absolutely drool-worthy!

Boniek - Blokhin - Kempes
Platini
Falcão - Junior
Breitner - Krol - Förster - Tarantini
Pfaff​

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Platini makes an beautiful assist to Blokhin, scores a great volley, gets a taste of Gentile's treatment with the latter parodying himself & even switches places with Pfaff before referee puts a stop to it :lol:

World XI is absolutely drool-worthy!

Boniek - Blokhin - Kempes
Platini
Falcão - Junior
Breitner - Krol - Förster - Tarantini
Pfaff​

That team will lose a draft game by double digits

1. Falcao junior base sucks
2. Should swap Breitner Tarantini
3. Kempes should be left and Boniek right

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That team will lose a draft game by double digits

1. Falcao junior base sucks
2. Should swap Breitner Tarantini
3. Kempes should be left and Boniek right
Yes. It looks like the World XI manager got a rough hand from an Edgar Monopoly draft.

Must be one of the most ambidextrous teams ever - lefties playing on the right, righties playing on the left, righties who normally play on the left playing in the middle.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Also, three left backs?!
Just watched it. The GK bit is hilarious :lol:

I do feel like I saw these goals recently though.

Do have a complain with the organizers, I am guessing FIFA. Golden chance to start Diego, Platini and Zico together. Wonder why the bastards didn't do it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Feeling like crap after my second dose of vaccine, so been watching videos for past couple of hours. Dunga, Schuster, Suarez, Gascoigne, Voronin, Romario.....it's been brilliant.

Just feels like saying a big TY to everyone who's done the hard work in here!

harms

Staff
Just watched it. The GK bit is hilarious :lol:

I do feel like I saw these goals recently though.

Do have a complain with the organizers, I am guessing FIFA. Golden chance to start Diego, Platini and Zico together. Wonder why the bastards didn't do it.
Not sure. There was a Platini testimonial the same year, France vs world XI, Platini faced both Maradona & Zico (from the bench). Although I haven’t seen it yet.

Maybe Juve guys didn’t like Diego? The game was dedicated to Scirea, Gentile, Tardelli and Causio and took place in Turin. Although Zico seemed like such an obvious choice against the 1982 side! Especially with Falcão & Junior already playing.

Šjor Bepo

God i like watching this dumbo play, reckon could do a compilation for every game he has:lol:

Šjor Bepo

Lone striker on the day and had a poor game though tbf i think he also had a bad day so would probably produce something similar even in a different role.

harms

Staff
I remember going to see the entire movie at a film festival. Its worth a watch if you can find it online. Its essentially a bit of an arthouse piece. https://letterboxd.com/film/football-as-never-before/
Haven't been able to find it online (I found one link that seemed to be legitimate but there are no peers), so decided to order a DVD from Amazon. Now I only need to find a DVD drive somewhere :lol:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

This has always been one of my favourite Ronaldo performances. UEFA Cup semi-final in terrible conditions, Spartak had control of the game and an early goal that ensured they would go through on away-goals before Ronaldo stepped up to drag Inter through with two goals despite getting very few chances. The second is a classic.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Haven't been able to find it online (I found one link that seemed to be legitimate but there are no peers), so decided to order a DVD from Amazon. Now I only need to find a DVD drive somewhere :lol:
I think the difficult thing to convey to people who arent old enough to have seen him or have been around during his era was just how famous he was. During his heyday and even as things started to slide his appeal was massive. I suspect this was the first time anyone had attempted to make such an art house piece about a sportsperson. There had been many documentaries about many others but nothing like this which gives an indication of the fascination. Add in it was a German film maker too and some sort of understanding can be obtained.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
This has always been one of my favourite Ronaldo performances. UEFA Cup semi-final in terrible conditions, Spartak had control of the game and an early goal that ensured they would go through on away-goals before Ronaldo stepped up to drag Inter through with two goals despite getting very few chances. The second is a classic.

Unfortunately I never appreciated him as much as I should have. Staggering talent.

harms

Staff
It was a long, long time ago, but someone asked me which Dasayev’s game should they watch to see him at his best. I’ve suggested a couple, but this one is surely up there with the rest. Great saves, unchallenged aerial control in the box and perfect delivery, including the pre-assist for the second goal :drool:

(This one isn’t mine)

Šjor Bepo

In a way very similar to Carlos - both great overlappers, their use of the ball is pretty similar which is a bit hit and miss(normal for that era) but the main difference is that Cafu was actually a damn good defender while the other was a circus show.

harms

Staff
Genuinely an outstanding performance, but the highlight of it was the public — the commentator also takes note of that a few times near the beginning of the video. Not only there's some serious noise, there are desperate high-pitched squeals every time Best gets near the ball :lol:

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Genuinely an outstanding performance, but the highlight of it was the public — the commentator also takes note of that a few times near the beginning of the video. Not only there's some serious noise, there are desperate high-pitched squeals every time Best gets near the ball :lol:

brilliant:lol:
Impressive performance as well, i dont put any weight into playing against rough tackles but where i give huge amount of credit is playing on pitches like this. Its actually insane how he plays on that shit.....

PS: loved when they played a short corner to Best and immediately 3 england players were sprinting to the corner:lol:

Šjor Bepo

Meet Sergio, box to box pressing machine.

60 minutes with Ngolo - 4:1
30 minutes without - 0:2

Enigma_87

You know who
It was a long, long time ago, but someone asked me which Dasayev’s game should they watch to see him at his best. I’ve suggested a couple, but this one is surely up there with the rest. Great saves, unchallenged aerial control in the box and perfect delivery, including the pre-assist for the second goal :drool:

(This one isn’t mine)

Cheers for that, harms. Have lots of catching up in this thread but did enjoyed that one. My favorite keeper of all time. Can't say he's the best as others have stronger credentials, but that man had no weakness in his game.