Match Compilations

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@Šjor Bepo Rijkaard played an interesting role as some sort of RCM/RWB hybrid in a 3-3-1-3 system. Popped up all over the place and was generally very good.
Worthy of a compilation? I've been thinking of doing one and couldn't decide on a game.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Worthy of a compilation? I've been thinking of doing one and couldn't decide on a game.
I think so, yeah. He made some really good bursts into the opposition penalty area and was generally tidy on the ball. His positioning was intriguing too. Most of all it's just such a fun match to watch.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Another contender for Sjor’s collection of questionable offside calls from back in the day. Kevin Gallagher denied an equaliser away to Portugal.

Rui Barros was class in this one.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
what you see in milan games, this one was a close call!

Demyanenko_square_jaw

The long pass at 3:40 :lol: fecking up by a good distance wasn't uncommon in 70s/80s games, even from the very good players, but when under no pressure they usually had the excuse of it being a 2nd/3rd rate pitch with mishits as bad as that.Also a classic Kolyvanov rugby kick near the end.

tbf, some of those other long passes were fine in terms of accuracy and forcing the defender into a duel, just the Inter players won/comfortably anticipated them all (one was offside i think). What i didn't like is the diagonal and forward passing disappearing so quickly from his game. It seems like for most of the game there was no variation between the basic sideways/backwards keep it moving stuff, and the occasional higher risk long balls -- again without the excuse of a poor playing surface, or Milan being in a comfortable winning position. It's the same thing Albertini was often guilty of.

What happened at the end? Did he injure himself playing that misplaced pass that goes straight to the Inter player?

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I think that game and the Dynamo Kyiv 4-1 Quarter Final are his best. At least as far as the higher profile games go. You didn't get that rate of defensive work out of him regularly, especially once he was at Real, but Lippi really knew how to get the best out of players defensively in the games that mattered. I think his Juventus when on form were probably the most advanced of the '90s Champions League finalists/winners for defensive positioning and pressing throughout the full team.

Šjor Bepo

I think that game and the Dynamo Kyiv 4-1 Quarter Final are his best. At least as far as the higher profile games go. You didn't get that rate of defensive work out of him regularly, especially once he was at Real, but Lippi really knew how to get the best out of players defensively in the games that mattered. I think his Juventus when on form were probably the most advanced of the '90s Champions League finalists/winners for defensive positioning and pressing throughout the full team.
tbh whenever i watched him at Juve i thought he worked hard, @prolifik watched recently France on tournos and said the same.....maybe its just his Madrid days that have a questionmark about his workrate?

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Don't get me wrong, i definitely wouldn't call him an example of a lazy 10/creative player at Juventus, or for 90s in general. All of the attacking players in a Lippi team had to meet a solid level to become a regular, but i've seen more than a few games where i thought he was struggling with the demands or was the player given by far the most freedom from the system. It would be probably be more accurate to rephrase into "quality of defensive work", rather than effort. The Ancelotti teams became less intense/well structured defensively which seemed to benefit his consistency in the league, but obviously became poorer sides overall because of it.

I don't really remember his workrate being criticised much until the last 2-3 seasons at RM, but he was definitely more casual there. However those teams as we all know became increasingly unbalanced as the Galacticos thing took over. I get the feeling senior star players like Figo, Zidane, Raul and Ronaldo sometimes just did their own thing, and there wasn't a lot of manager authority to instill the strict work ethic of Lippi's Juventus

Šjor Bepo

In the first half they were 3 up and he scored but still looked a bit meh, was thinking surely not in a 5:0 win BUT for the first time he was impressing as he had a very impressive second half......mind you, nowhere near DM position :lol:

Šjor Bepo

not impressing at all in a Madrid shirt but pretty often pulls lovely pieces of play like this :drool:

Šjor Bepo

finally :drool: vs 10 men depor on last day of the season but at this point im taking anything!

Šjor Bepo

finally decided to make a compilation for this game, absolute joy to watch, such a wonderful player.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

England didn't seem to have any idea how to adapt defensively to Hidegkuti not playing like a traditional centre-forward. One of those legendary games where the usual narrative from old magazines/sports papers etc is accurate.

Šjor Bepo

England didn't seem to have any idea how to adapt defensively to Hidegkuti not playing like a traditional centre-forward. One of those legendary games where the usual narrative from old magazines/sports papers etc is accurate.
yap, its like watching city playing against united....clash of 2 worlds.

Šjor Bepo

finally very impressive game and its the European Cup Final....tbf Milan just battered them but its a big game so credit to him. It was pretty much men vs boys scenario where Steaua players couldnt cope with physicality of Milan players, not only the glorified dutch trio but even someone like Tassotti looked like prime Zanetti on the night.

Also, nowhere near DM position, again...

edit: as uefa twats blocked the vid
https://sendvid.com/y3wkdzwe?secret=c441af8b-86fa-4e99-85fb-bd6cfcb848b5

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

finally very impressive game and its the European Cup Final....tbf Milan just battered them but its a big game so credit to him. It was pretty much men vs boys scenario where Steaua players couldnt cope with physicality of Milan players, not only the glorified dutch trio but even someone like Tassotti looked like prime Zanetti on the night.

Also, nowhere near DM position, again...
How would you describe his general role and who do you think is the closest player stylistically?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
attacking b2b, no idea about comparison....maybe a better version of neeskens.
:eek: That attacking. Do you think he's a bit like Yaya Toure? The reason I mention it is that both were actually good CBs but in midfield were best when they could get forward.

Šjor Bepo

:eek: That attacking. Do you think he's a bit like Yaya Toure? The reason I mention it is that both were actually good CBs but in midfield were best when they could get forward.
in the games i watched yes and picked games against top n10s or high calibre games where you would expect him playing more defensive and if you watched comps i posted you often see him next to van basten....

yeah yaya is actually a decent shout, less talented but with no periods in the game where he goes into sleep mode.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

That was such a disappointing Euro final. Steaua played some very good collective football in their earlier games. Watching those games compared to Milan's and you would have expected a competitive, exciting game, but Milan had hit top form at the right time in their semi against Madrid and carried that over, while, as Sjor says, Steaua looked physically hopeless and crumbled under the occasion.

They did have form for that with the flat games against Benfica ( rewatched those fully recently after Bepo's Mozer comps) in the previous semi-finals, and their final win. They choked in that one too, opting for all-out defence, despite decisively beating a good Anderlecht team in the semi-final, who were imo at least as strong than that version of Barca. I think that's one of the few times a European Cup winner was comfortably overshadowed in performance by the winners of the other two trophies.

Dynamo Bucharest, who made up essentially the other half of the Romanian team, also stumbled at the late stages at that time in the Cup-winners cup. They lost the semi-final against Anderlecht (not quite as strong by this time ) with a tame away performance after being very unucky in the home game. It's interesting looking at that period for those clubs, as those big game performance struggles and mental issues (including the 3-0 away loss against Denmark when they were almost qualified for 1990, which they rebounded from to win 3-0 in the decisive final game return) clearly forged the national team into a very mentally resilient, calm side over the next decade; this after a long time of being nearly-men with a reputation for choking in vital away qualifying games.