Match Compilations

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Classy as ever, game was so easy for him.....though any high line team was lucky as feck at the time because every assistant ref was apparently blind, or drunk, or both.
Hagi again did feck all....
also think @Gio asked about Lacatus in the last vid? Was poor in this one, tbf whole team was so its not that he was standing out.

Šjor Bepo

pure class :drool:
So sad he is kind of forgotten, one of the best defenders i saw and there are shitloads of players with far better reputation and legacies that dont come near him.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
pure class :drool:
Indeed, mixture of power and relaxed elegance. Food for my CB fetish.
So sad he is kind of forgotten, one of the best defenders i saw and there are shitloads of players with far better reputation and legacies that dont come near him.
Yeah, it's a pity. I only learned about him from the drafties (i.e. you) as well. Didn't play a big role for Brazil either, partly because of bad luck with injury (1986) and illness (1994) as per wikipedia.

Šjor Bepo

Yeah, it's a pity. I only learned about him from the drafties (i.e. you) as well. Didn't play a big role for Brazil either, partly because of bad luck with injury (1986) and illness (1994) as per wikipedia.
same, had no idea about the guy before drafts....think it was @Pat_Mustard who introduced him to my attention

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Brazil has a few centre-backs from that early-mid-80s to mid-90s time that were highly rated at one point, but haven't been well remembered outside of one or two clubs. Luizinho (maybe a bit of a scapegoat for 82, but seems to have been highly regarded at club level for years afterward), Mauro Galvao, Aldair, Ricardo Gomes (who played with Mozer at Benfica and also moved to France, with PSG) Ricardo Rocha at Real Madrid and Sao Paulo...

I think being associated with the 1990 failure of a more defensive, european style probably had a big impact on domestic perception. Mozer barely played after that, and Gomes took until the 94 qualifiers to re-establish himself after being a regular from 87-90. The lineup for 94 was initially expected to be Rocha-Gomes, but both ended up injured, missing the last big chance of their prime, and declining quickly. Aldair came in, after also being not picked since '90. I'd guess he's the most widely known because of 94 and 98; he had the best longevity and club visibility at Roma. I always liked him as a player, though he lacked agility by 96/97. Not sure about the others, either didn't see much of them or didn't pay much specific attention when i did, but quite possible some are also individually underestimated.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Indeed. Mozer's wider legacy is really hampered by the lack of a big World Cup showing. 1982 came just a few months too early for him and he was really unfortunate with injury and illness to miss 1986 and 1994. And whereas someone like Nesta was able to also miss World Cups yet still be recognised for his showing in the club game and had the benefit of a great Euro 2000, Mozer didn't and that's despite being as good a defender as just about anyone in European club football in the late 80s and early 90s. From that era there are some similarities with Gullit who also looked so awesome and commanding, by technically and physically operating in a different tier to everyone around him.

That lack of global exposure has affected Rocha and Gomes too - both have impressed me when watching back some of the footage from that time.
The lineup for 94 was initially expected to be Rocha-Gomes, but both ended up injured, missing the last big chance of their prime, and declining quickly.
It does show the incredible depth Brazil had. Arguably lose their top four centre-halves in Rocha, Gomes, Mozer and Cesar (who missed most of the season at Juve), yet still keep 5 clean sheets in 7 games en route to winning the trophy.

Šjor Bepo

Indeed. Mozer's wider legacy is really hampered by the lack of a big World Cup showing. 1982 came just a few months too early for him and he was really unfortunate with injury and illness to miss 1986 and 1994. And whereas someone like Nesta was able to also miss World Cups yet still be recognised for his showing in the club game and had the benefit of a great Euro 2000, Mozer didn't and that's despite being as good a defender as just about anyone in European club football in the late 80s and early 90s. From that era there are some similarities with Gullit who also looked so awesome and commanding, by technically and physically operating in a different tier to everyone around him.

That lack of global exposure has affected Rocha and Gomes too - both have impressed me when watching back some of the footage from that time.

It does show the incredible depth Brazil had. Arguably lose their top four centre-halves in Rocha, Gomes, Mozer and Cesar (who missed most of the season at Juve), yet still keep 5 clean sheets in 7 games en route to winning the trophy.
this is it i guess, a lot of players created a "myth" around great WC performances and it really did wonders for their legacies. It was a time where WC was almost the only thing it would for sure be on TV, at least for bigger masses so its kind of understandable, though still annoying.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Re-posting a few older comps:

https://sendvid.com/mplmglz2
Pre Ballon d'Or Benz vs Gladbach in the CL. Not an all-touch compilation, but focusing on pressing and defensive contributions, as well as offensive highlights (his full repertoire basically). One of the rarer instances of Zidane's Real employing full pressing throughout the majority of a game. Performances like this make me wonder what could have been if Benzema and Guardiola had ever teamed up.

https://sendvid.com/pufm8pko
Peak Thiago Silva vs Barca 2013. Stats:
tackles .................. 4/4
aerial duels ........... 3/5
interceptions .......... 7
clearances .............. 8
blocks ..................... 1
fouls ........................ 0

https://sendvid.com/2y0mj8yk
TS vs Colombia at the 2014 WC. Showcases why Silva was indispensable for that defensively suspect Brazil side, and why it all fell apart in his absence. Stats:
tackles ................... 1/1
aerial duels ............ 5/7
interceptions ........... 2
clearances ............. 14
blocks ...................... 4
fouls ......................... 2

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Playing in a back 3, flawless as per usual. One of the most underrated United players ever.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Flawless performance by Chivadze on the Boleyn Ground. West Ham were the favourites coming in but he completely dominated the air in his own box, scored a screamer and generally seemed to glide around West Ham players like they weren't there, Scirea-esque (especially near the end of the game).

Here's a great article about that Dinamo Tbilisi side that also talks about this game and Chivadze in particular:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...2015/sep/07/dinamo-tbilisi-liverpool-west-ham
Tbilisi’s next English experience came against West Ham in the Cup Winners’ Cup quarter-final in 1981. The first leg at the Boleyn Ground turned into a masterclass of intelligent, flexible and incisive football by the visitors, who demonstrated some of the best counter-attacking you’re ever likely to see. Footage from this match should be included as part of the learning materials for Uefa coaching courses.

West Ham’s players spent much of the evening chasing slippery white shadows forlornly while trying to keep the scoreline respectable – their eventual 4-1 defeat flattered them considerably. The romp started with an opening Tbilisi goal that was so cartoonishly good that it might have been thought of as too far-fetched had it been sketched out for Roy Race himself.

After a succession of rapid one-touch passes, Aleksandr Chivadze collected a knockdown 10 yards inside his own half, surged forward into West Ham territory and let fly from 30 yards with a dipping drive that sailed over the head of a flat-footed Phil Parkes. That’s Aleksandr Chivadze the central defender by the way, albeit a central defender with a greater mastery of the ball than any creative outfield British player I had seen. For someone used to watching agricultural British centre-halves thrash, blooter and whack footballs around a pitch, seeing this physically unassuming sweeper urbanely caress, massage and tease the ball into doing his bidding was a revelation.

Šjor Bepo

and this is him not at his peak because he was even better at Marseille!

Demyanenko_square_jaw

nice.

Any other players stand out in that team? you don't often hear much about those Benfica sides that got to two finals, or portuguese players in general from that decade because of the international underachieving. On paper, the 89/90 Benfica with Ricardo Gomes, Aldair, Thern and Valdo looks like it might have been the stronger overall 11 of the two, though my memories of their semi-final/final games with Marseille and Milan is that they were a dull, defensive team in them.

Šjor Bepo

nice.

Any other players stand out in that team? you don't often hear much about those Benfica sides that got to two finals, or portuguese players in general from that decade because of the international underachieving. On paper, the 89/90 Benfica with Ricardo Gomes, Aldair, Thern and Valdo looks like it might have been the stronger overall 11 of the two, though my memories of their semi-final/final games with Marseille and Milan is that they were a dull, defensive team in them.
honestly, no idea.
On top of me following just Mozer i didnt really know nor wanted to recognize players but reckon nobody was that special.....they defended well as a team and kept the ball well as a team as well rather then having some individual stars.

harms

Staff

Wanted to upload Cantona vs Liverpool (his first game after the ban) but it has copyright issues. So here's 20 years old Maradona scoring 4 against Boca Juniors.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Suurbier against Poland in the 76 Euros qualifying, as the Dutch recovered from a 4-1 shellacking in Poland a month earlier to win this match 3-0. Suurbier assisted the first goal and was generally quite good. My complete loathing of doing these with anything less than perfect video quality came to the fore again, as I really struggled to track the fecker, in the second half especially when he was mostly on the far side of the pitch from the camera. I think I included most actions, and hopefully didn't highlight the wrong guy too often.

Šjor Bepo

After 10+ games of searching for a good performance of the Pep Guardiola is my idol, we did it! :drool:
Still few moronic actions but generally a very good performance from Carlos. Helped that Depor played really narrow and on the rare occasion he found himself against someone it was the turd Scaloni. But kept the ball really well, defended well, overlapped way more then in other games and even won a penalty that gave Real a chance to win the game in the 90 minute.
But its amazing, even when he has a really good game he has that Maguire quality where he will be heavily involved in conceding a goal even though its not his fault:lol:

harms

Staff
Did a big video of Cantona at Manchester United — sorry for the weird effects that appear on some footage, FA is brutal with copyright!

Šjor Bepo

What did you prefer? Nutmeg, ball roll or score a goal
Prosinecki: Goals you remember, when you see sport news you always ask who scored the goal? For me that wasnt that relevant, important was to sell a ball roll!

Šjor Bepo

@Gio
Liked what i saw, specially of the ball....on the ball the quality is obvious but at first glance(or at least in this specific game/fixture) has a similar problem like Beckenbauer in the 60s when he played for Germany, too many headless chickens around him that never heard about a sideways pass or a backwards pass so they either go direct or head in the sand and dribble.

Šjor Bepo

Finally finished Bus in third division, fascinating watch all together have to say....specially with Pep on the bench.

Šjor Bepo

Lovely piece of play from Raul, shame it didnt end up with a goal :(

Šjor Bepo

one great piece of attacking play, other then that bang average which tbf is a progress for bobby...

Šjor Bepo

Not a fan of circus friendly games but it was difficult to find footage that checks other things i needed(peak, position, quality of footage). First action he made was a mistake so i thought ffs this will be another Zajec video where performance doesnt match the reputation but thankfully it wasnt that, Holcer looks as good as they say! Pure quality.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I was usually impressed by zajec in the national teams i watched, though by the euro84/86 qualifiers those teams were an underachieving mess and often played below the sum of the parts collectively.

One thing to note about those Pana European cup games is that they're among the very early games he played for the club. Feyenoord first leg was his debut and he'd only played three league (missing two, i'm guessing through minor injury/fitness issues) games by the time those two Feyenoord/linfield rounds were done. Possibly as well as showing some flaws, he was just not able to hit good form and/or develop better tactical understanding with teammates yet.

Looking more in detail at his time there, he becomes quickly highly injury-prone, even in his first season he misses 8 games. At least i'm assuming the missed games are mostly fitness/inury related, because he's a guaranteed starter otherwise, usually playing the full 90.

Seems like for club, it would be with Dinamo Zagreb that would be best to seek out.

Šjor Bepo

I was usually impressed by zajec in the national teams i watched, though by the euro84/86 qualifiers those teams were an underachieving mess and often played below the sum of the parts collectively.

One thing to note about those Pana European cup games is that they're among the very early games he played for the club. Feyenoord first leg was his debut and he'd only played three league (missing two, i'm guessing through minor injury/fitness issues) games by the time those two Feyenoord/linfield rounds were done. Possibly as well as showing some flaws, he was just not able to hit good form and/or develop better tactical understanding with teammates yet.

Looking more in detail at his time there, he becomes quickly highly injury-prone, even in his first season he misses 8 games. At least i'm assuming the missed games are mostly fitness/inury related, because he's a guaranteed starter otherwise, usually playing the full 90.

Seems like for club, it would be with Dinamo Zagreb that would be best to seek out.
yeah, i still rate Zajec its just unfortunate i picked up some bad games i guess. Regarding the club peak, Panathinaikos fans adore him and he is seen as a legend there as well so reckon he must have been good when he played.