Match Compilations

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Didnt expect him to work that hard of the ball, pleasantly surprised

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

A very good performance + the famous bit of pisstake at the very end.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

A typically dominating all-round performance by peak Gullit, he was everywhere. It was amusing to witness the clash of such contrasting number 10's in Gullit and Baggio on the other side (who had a decent-ish game individually that didn't amount to much due to how brutally efficient Sacchi's Milan was at controlling the game).

Šjor Bepo

Young Okocha doesnt play as you would expect it, more Rory Delap then Dinho :drool:

Šjor Bepo

What a player :drool:
Fenomeno on the pitch and playing fantastic yet Kanu looks class above everyone else. Easily one of the most enjoyable players i watched, anyone knows what happened with him and why he didnt make it at the top level? Injuries or something else, because talent wise he looks like a gift of Gods. @Demyanenko_square_jaw maybe?

Demyanenko_square_jaw

i liked him at Arsenal ( and ajax, but didn't see some games there until later), but he's not a player i had followed so i couldn't tell you about injuries or if he was known for things like dedication/mentality problems. I do remember he had a serious heart issue that was found and operated on when he signed for Inter. I barely remember seeing him get a game for them, and having a look at his record there he stayed for longer than i thought: basically two and a half seasons with no football. Don't know how much of that was directly related to recovery, and how much was other stuff, but it can't have done his development any good.

Šjor Bepo

Pep going with the midfield of Yaya in the holding role and Bus and Keita as advanced midfielders :drool:

Šjor Bepo

Interesting watch. He seemed to do really well defensively in that role. He looked a bit lost on the ball in that position though, in terms of passing choices and ball progression.
Yeah, it did hamper his ability on the ball(was still okay IMO) but its tough to press and play 100 miles per hour and keep calm head in possession. Its so weird to see Yaya holding and Bus flying up and down though :lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah, it did hamper his ability on the ball(was still okay IMO) but its tough to press and play 100 miles per hour and keep calm head in possession. Its so weird to see Yaya holding and Bus flying up and down though :lol:
:lol: It's funny to think that if anybody set up a midfield like that with those players in a draft match they'd lose votes for it. Is Pep actually a bit clueless after all? :wenger:

Šjor Bepo

:lol: It's funny to think that if anybody set up a midfield like that with those players in a draft match they'd lose votes for it. Is Pep actually a bit clueless after all? :wenger:
doesnt matter when you have Messi in God mode

Šjor Bepo

can swallow the bullshit offside calls as you can convince yourself its because of the era and refs are incompetent but this is too much :lol:
This is in Milan, first leg and 90' minute of the game....they lose this 1:2 and Milan is without Baresi in Beograd they most likely go out, it didnt happen and they ended up winning the damn thing.

Šjor Bepo

Decided to go through all games of peak Rijkaard where he is facing top n10 or SS....started with the game against Piksi. In terms of quality it wasnt that impressive but it wasnt bad either, mixed bad of sorts. In terms of positioning he was in the b2b mode for sure in first half, was all over the place and even overlapped his wingers at times....in second half he was mostly staying back but still bombed forwards at times, you could argue though that he played as a DM in the second half.

Pat_Mustard

Decided to go through all games of peak Rijkaard where he is facing top n10 or SS....started with the game against Piksi. In terms of quality it wasnt that impressive but it wasnt bad either, mixed bad of sorts. In terms of positioning he was in the b2b mode for sure in first half, was all over the place and even overlapped his wingers at times....in second half he was mostly staying back but still bombed forwards at times, you could argue though that he played as a DM in the second half.
Looked quite influential overall. Good defensively, decent but underwhelming in his use of the ball, weight of passing etc.

Šjor Bepo

Looked quite influential overall. Good defensively, decent but underwhelming in his use of the ball, weight of passing etc.
so so tbh, Zvezda players were finding pockets of space relatively easy and its hard to showcase in a compilation but yeah, he was in the middle of everything.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I've got some time on my hands so was having a look at list of possibly interesting opponents (outside of obvious like Maradona) including some direct battles with other CM's/attacking 8's from footballia.

Up until the 1990 World Cup:

Hungary Euro 88 Qualifiers vs Detari

Greece Euro 88 qualifier vs Saravakos

Euro 88:
Zavarov/Belanov
Hoddle/Beardsley
Thon/Voller/Matthaus

Fiorentina oct 9 1988/feb 4 1990 vs Dunga/Baggio

Germany World Cup 1990 qualifiers vs Thon/Matthaus/Moller/Voller

Inter Milan dec 11th 1988/ april 30th 1989/ march 18th 1990 vs Matthaus

Roma january 22nd 1989/feb 25th 1990 vs Giannini/Voller

Juventus march 12th 1989 vs Zavarov/Laudrup

Real Madrid European Cup semi-final 88-89/European Cup R16 89-90 vs Schuster/ Rafael Martin Vazquez

Barcelona 89-90 Supercup vs Laudrup

Sampdoria april 13th 1990 vs Mancini

Bayern Munich European Cup semi-final 2nd leg 89-90 vs Thon

Benfica European Cup final 89-90 vs Valdo

World Cup 1990:
Gazza/Waddle/Barnes
Matthaus/Littbarski/Voller

Šjor Bepo

I've got some time on my hands so was having a look at list of possibly interesting opponents (outside of obvious like Maradona) including some direct battles with other CM's/attacking 8's from footballia.

Up until the 1990 World Cup:

Hungary Euro 88 Qualifiers vs Detari

Greece Euro 88 qualifier vs Saravakos

Euro 88:
Zavarov/Belanov
Hoddle/Beardsley
Thon/Voller/Matthaus

Fiorentina oct 9 1988/feb 4 1990 vs Dunga/Baggio

Germany World Cup 1990 qualifiers vs Thon/Matthaus/Moller/Voller

Inter Milan dec 11th 1988/ april 30th 1989/ march 18th 1990 vs Matthaus

Roma january 22nd 1989/feb 25th 1990 vs Giannini/Voller

Juventus march 12th 1989 vs Zavarov/Laudrup

Real Madrid European Cup semi-final 88-89/European Cup R16 89-90 vs Schuster/ Rafael Martin Vazquez

Barcelona 89-90 Supercup vs Laudrup

Sampdoria april 13th 1990 vs Mancini

Bayern Munich European Cup semi-final 2nd leg 89-90 vs Thon

Benfica European Cup final 89-90 vs Valdo

World Cup 1990:
Gazza/Waddle/Barnes
Matthaus/Littbarski/Voller
euro and wc games will most likely get blocked so will try those last....
wanted to start with baggio and fiorentina but camera is shaking for 90 minutes, awful footage.
qualifiers vs matthaus were the next choice but he played as a centerback.

thanks for the list, will keep an eye!

Šjor Bepo

Pure class.
Has that Messi like aura where he makes other 4, 5 all time greats that share the pitch with him look ordinary....

Šjor Bepo

best performance so far, interestingly in a Kyle Walker role! Played well but should have got a red card and poor defending for one of the goals but its not a direct mistake like usual :D

Pat_Mustard

https://sendvid.com/0qyaf4zx

Futre and Madjer destroying Matthaus and Brehme in European Cup Final :drool:
Superb! Looked like a one-man attack there at times, and even seemed to press and close down willingly. That crazy run from 6:20 could, probably should, have ended with one of the best CL final goals of all-time. Maradona-esque really.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This probably was one of the last great international performances by Futre against a Italy side who had a back 4 of Tassotti, Vierchowod, Costacurta, Maldini. Pay attention to what he does to them and forget the result.

Unfortunately at the end of that season he had to leave Benfica after returning from Atletico Madrid where he was almost a God with a complete crazy Gil y Gil President, and his last game for them at a Portuguese Cup Final vs Boavista was something else for those who watched.

Benfica was with financial problems, sold him to Marseille, he arrives there and the corruption scandal broke out and a couple of months later he is sold to Reggiana in Italy. Moral of the story, his first game for them scores vs Cremonese at 61 minutes, and leaves at 72 minutes after a serious knee injury, similar to the one who almost destroyed Ronaldo Nazário carrer.

When he returned he never was the same player, his knee was done. Possibly the most naturally talented winger Portugal produced, but obviously Figo and later Cristiano had much better international carrers, he wasn't a good finisher also, and over the top individualistic player, who also had the bad luck of being too young to be present with Portugal at Euro 84 being 18 years old and having a guy like Chalana as a starter didn't helped, for those who watched the tournament.

In 86 where he already was the best portuguese player at Mexico that team had a lot of internal problems and he only started the last match vs Morocco, where they lost. After those problems a lot of the best players left the team and he lost the chances to compete on the big tournaments when he was at his peak, would have been great to see him on a individual level on Euro 92, but there was a certain Netherlands on that group.

His 91/92 season at Atletico Madrid playing alongside Bernd Schuster was incredible, by the way he always said the 2 best players who played with him were Rabah Madjer and Bernd Schuster.

Even if Portugal qualified for 94 he wouldn't be there, his injury was late November in 93.

Šjor Bepo

This probably was one of the last great international performances by Futre against a Italy side who had a back 4 of Tassotti, Vierchowod, Costacurta, Maldini. Pay attention to what he does to them and forget the result.

Unfortunately at the end of that season he had to leave Benfica after returning from Atletico Madrid where he was almost a God with a complete crazy Gil y Gil President, and his last game for them at a Portuguese Cup Final vs Boavista was something else for those who watched.

Benfica was with financial problems, sold him to Marseille, he arrives there and the corruption scandal broke out and a couple of months later he is sold to Reggiana in Italy. Moral of the story, his first game for them scores vs Cremonese at 61 minutes, and leaves at 72 minutes after a serious knee injury, similar to the one who almost destroyed Ronaldo Nazário carrer.

When he returned he never was the same player, his knee was done. Possibly the most naturally talented winger Portugal produced, but obviously Figo and later Cristiano had much better international carrers, he wasn't a good finisher also, and over the top individualistic player, who also had the bad luck of being too young to be present with Portugal at Euro 84 being 18 years old and having a guy like Chalana as a starter didn't helped, for those who watched the tournament.

In 86 where he already was the best portuguese player at Mexico that team had a lot of internal problems and he only started the last match vs Morocco, where they lost. After those problems a lot of the best players left the team and he lost the chances to compete on the big tournaments when he was at his peak, would have been great to see him on a individual level on Euro 92, but there was a certain Netherlands on that group.

His 91/92 season at Atletico Madrid playing alongside Bernd Schuster was incredible, by the way he always said the 2 best players who played with him were Rabah Madjer and Bernd Schuster.

Even if Portugal qualified for 94 he wouldn't be there, his injury was late November in 93.
lovely post, cheers for that!
Regarding Madjer, i knew what i was getting with Futre but Madjer blew my mind with that performance against Matthaus and Bayern....heard about him before but knew nothing, looked like a proper class act on the ball but also put a proper shift in.

prolifik

I wonder if it's the guy on the other side of the pitch they were calling offside?

Seems extreme even for that era if it's the player receiving the pass. :lol:

Pat_Mustard

I wonder if it's the guy on the other side of the pitch they were calling offside?

Ahh, it could be, as this was probably before they made the 'interfering with play' interpretation more attacker-friendly. It's weird that I've been watching football for over 30 years and the offside rule can still periodically confuse the feck out of me :lol:.

Anyhow, here's a definitively shite offside call of the 1990s to restore order to the cosmos from a match I'm watching now:

Šjor Bepo

considering how they call them, its not that extreme :D
this probably wouldnt get in top 3 of the worst calls i saw

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Yeah, it would have been.

Ahh, it could be, as this was probably before they made the 'interfering with play' interpretation more attacker-friendly. It's weird that I've been watching football for over 30 years and the offside rule can still periodically confuse the feck out of me :lol:.

Anyhow, here's a definitively shite offside call of the 1990s to restore order to the cosmos from a match I'm watching now:

Love big Tone's nodding head at 5.30 there "yeah definitely offside boys".

So much brilliantly shit refereeing in that game - obviously that and the Koeman/Platt incident, but then Erwin Koeman's kung-fu kick on Parker going unpunished.

Šjor Bepo

Maradona and co. tearing them a new one....Rijkaard struggled but dear me how Baresi played, like watching Maguire at his worst!

Pat_Mustard

Love big Tone's nodding head at 5.30 there "yeah definitely offside boys".

So much brilliantly shit refereeing in that game - obviously that and the Koeman/Platt incident, but then Erwin Koeman's kung-fu kick on Parker going unpunished.
:lol: Yep, a spectacularly bad performance from the ref all told. I actually recorded this match on video when I was a kid and probably watched it a dozen times then for some reason. Glad to see that it's actually still a brilliant watch on the evidence of the first half.

Šjor Bepo

:drool: Something you dont see every day, Baresi playing like Maguire on a bad day!

Pat_Mustard

Overmars impressing on the right wing. Such an entertaining match in general. @Šjor Bepo Rijkaard played an interesting role as some sort of RCM/RWB hybrid in a 3-3-1-3 system. Popped up all over the place and was generally very good.

de Goey
de Wolf R. Koeman F. de Boer
Rijkaard Wouters E. Koeman
Bergkamp
Overmars R. de Boer Roy
Not often you see a team with two sets of brothers in it!