Matheus Nunes (Sporting CP)

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

Figured I would make a thread for him after Pep has already begun grooming him as a possible signing.

Pep recently called him one of the best midfielders in the work and though I don’t agree with it yet I understand the thought process.

Pep- “Matheus Nunes is one of the best players in the world today.”

“Nunes is one of the best at the moment”

BACKSTORY:

Matheus Nunes was bought by Sporting from Estoril in 2019 after seeing the raw potential he possessed. Matheus is a kid who just 4 years ago was working in a bakery and played football for “fun” without a formal academy for most of his development he even failed tryouts for a small club in the third division named oriental at 19 years of age.

At Sporting he improved tactically as a player and his raw ability was their for everyone to see. Ruben Amorim called him up in the tail end of the 19/20 season and his trajectory has just gone upwards ever since. When he was bought out president said that Matheus would pay back the money spent on Amorim. Safe to say that will happen. Last season Matheus was coming off the bench forJoao Mario but scored many vital goals in our title winning season. This season he has been brilliant alongside Palhinha and is an engine that never stops running.

STYLE OF PLAY: Matheus Nunes is a 6’0 box to box central midfielder with fantastic physical and tactical abilities. Pace, speed, strength are all physical qualities of Nunes but technically is where he is most Gifted. Matheus ability to get out of tight spaces using deceptive body feints has almost become a trademark of his. He makes it looks so effortless and easy. The next thing that stands out with Matheus is his passing range particularly his long passing. The ball drops like a dime and moves beautifully in the air. His raw talent is their for everyone to see.

WEAKNESSES: I mentioned his dribbling and technical ability but sometimes he will hold onto the ball a little too long. Though he is improving tactically it is still an area that needs work. At 23 he is still a player who can be molded and That’s why I think Pep is keen on him. Lastly his shooting, I can’t say if it’s good or bad because he barely ever shoots from distance. It’s a shame because I feel he would be good at it.

HIGHLIGHTS: Below are two brilliant and entertaining videos for all football lovers.

Reactions: Invictus

Jibbs

Fantastic prospect but would struggle at United. City might suit him better.

gajender

He is brilliant and I believe he has all the attributes to become a great player though Guardiola may be bit over the top in his praise but I have no doubt if City buy him then there is a great possibility that he could be amongst the Very Best midfielders 2-3 years down the line.

SportingCP96

Supports
He is brilliant and I believe he has all the attributes to become a great player though Guardiola may be bit over the top in his praise but I have no doubt if City buy him then there is a great possibility that he could be amongst the Very Best midfielders 2-3 years down the line.
Those body feints and turns he does are just fantastic. You can’t teach that. The second video really display a lot of it.

Pep with that praise was for sure grooming him I think. In NBA terms “tampering”

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Looks like a City type of player, but can they play them all?

gajender

Those body feints and turns he does are just fantastic. You can’t teach that. The second video really display a lot of it.

Pep with that praise was for sure grooming him I think. In NBA terms “tampering”
Agreed you simply can't learn those it's just natural talent he just gives that Modric vibe to me despite him being bigger which you normally don't see , I hope United are also in for him we have been lacking this kind of player for so long Get Ten Haag in summer and give him Nunes + DM and suddenly our Midfield goes a level up .

Tarrou

I'd cry tears of joy if we signed a midfielder this good on the ball

SportingCP96

Supports
I'd cry tears of joy if we signed a midfielder this good on the ball
Ya he’s fantastic on the ball. You can tell he played a lot of street ball.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His FBref page looks interesting :lol: 99th percentile in dribbling and assists but really low percentiles in everything else!
Edit: I think this is only based on CL matches, I don’t think FBref tracks the domestic Portuguese league. Makes a lot more sense.

SportingCP96

Supports
His FBref page looks interesting :lol: 99th percentile in dribbling and assists but really low percentiles in everything else!
Edit: I think this is only based on CL matches, I don’t think FBref tracks the domestic Portuguese league. Makes a lot more sense.
He has probably been our best and most consistent player in the CL IMO.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
He scored a goal today. 3rd game for Portugal (2nd as a late sub).

Unfortunately I can't post media yet, but it's worth it to go check it out.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well hello :D

Looks like we found our Jorginho upgrade.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

He looks incredibly good on the YouTube video I just watched. But unless Jorginho goes now I don’t see a place for him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He looks incredibly good on the YouTube video I just watched. But unless Jorginho goes now I don’t see a place for him.
To be honest, he's less of a direct Jorginho replacement, and more of a box to box guy. I've had a sneaky feeling Tuchel wants to move to a back 4 next season, and signing Nunes would kinda confirm that for me.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
To be honest, he's less of a direct Jorginho replacement, and more of a box to box guy. I've had a sneaky feeling Tuchel wants to move to a back 4 next season, and signing Nunes would kinda confirm that for me.
He's a bit redundant with Kovacic I think. Don't think we'd want to limit him to playing as a 6 since that'd blunt a lot of what makes him great.

Brilliant player who I love but surely if we're going to a 4-3-3 next year the two first choice 8s are Kovacic and Mount?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apparently Brands was interested in signing him and Diaz (Liverpool) last summer and Benitez didn't want either. :lol:

saik

Is it crazy to suggest that he would be a good alternative to FDJ? Although saying that, this guy looks like more of an advanced playmaker rather than a DLP.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's a bit redundant with Kovacic I think. Don't think we'd want to limit him to playing as a 6 since that'd blunt a lot of what makes him great.

Brilliant player who I love but surely if we're going to a 4-3-3 next year the two first choice 8s are Kovacic and Mount?
Enough games to go around I would say, plus with the WC right in the middle of the season with little to no break for the players, heavy rotation is going to be key, plus Kovacic is kinda injury prone anyway - Nunes, Mount, Kovacic and Gallagher for two 8s is superb midfield group for me. We eventually need Declan Rice to be the sitting DM but if it's still Jorginho next season, it can kinda be mitigated by all those 4 players being sound defensively and willing runners.

Either way, I only have a cursory knowledge of Nunes. I have watched less than 5 full games of his, so will gladly defer to you and others who have watched him more than I have.

Last edited:

Becks00

The link is coming from A Bola, who are not the most reliable. You should probably wait until one of the Chelsea reporters confirm it.

I think it's sporting just trying to drum up interest or put pressure on wolves. He is a fantastic player though and I see him signing for City should they sell Silva.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The link is coming from A Bola, who are not the most reliable. You should probably wait until one of the Chelsea reporters confirm it.

I think it's sporting just trying to drum up interest or put pressure on wolves. He is a fantastic player though and I see him signing for City should they sell Silva.
You’re not wrong :lol:

izec

The real question is why was his talent not spotted earlier? I mean working in a bakery a couple of years ago and failing trials in third division, crazy.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Enough games to go around I would say, plus with the WC right in the middle of the season with little to no break for the players, heavy rotation is going to be key, plus Kovacic is kinda injury prone anyway - Nunes, Mount, Kovacic and Gallagher for two 8s is superb midfield group for me. We eventually need Declan Rice to be the sitting DM but if it's still Jorginho next season, it can kinda be mitigated by all those 4 players being sound defensively and willing runners.

Either way, I only have a cursory knowledge of Nunes. I have watched less than 5 full games of his, so will gladly defer to you and others who have watched him more than I have.
Yeah I'm not opposed to signing him at all - think he's excellent. Suspect Pep has him targeted as the long term Bernardo Silva replacement as one of their 8s.

I just wouldn't have that position as a priority at the moment - I don't think we can credibly use Jorginho and Silva as part of the 3 man defensive unit against transitions. Rudiger was so elite at covering huge swaths of ground and I just don't think we can get away with going to 4 at the back without a dedicated athletic 6.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Already Chelsea reliable journo mentioned it's a rumour and his agent denied any talk whatsoever for his client. :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
We can’t let Him go. We have no reason to sell and must hold onto him one more year. Go away Chelsea.